[GUIDE] Thinkpad T420 with (Mountain) Lion

Manwe150

403 posts in this topic

Are you sure middle click works? I have your dsdt and kexts installed and it simply doesn't work. OS X doesn't even detect a third mouse button, only the scroll wheel (and scrolling works fine). Perhaps it has to do with the BIOS version or something? I'm on version 1.33.

Hello all ThinkPad users. I'd like to welcome you all to test out UEFI Only method I'm using and describing in my thread for some time. The guide is not finished yet but I've reached the point when you can actually test something out and share your experience.

Edited by Kogen Mantis
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Kogen Mantis: Your work is very exciting! I'm looking forward to following this.

Several things I wanted to highlight here from your posts, for people who aren't ready to rebuild their setup right now (like me):

Significantly speed up sleep/wake time:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

Significantly better keyboard/trackpad/nub driver (supports middle button, using the upper buttons with the trackpad, and much more):

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller

Fixed FAN speed segfault observed with #####'s latest default installed FakeSMC plugin and patched dsdt that includes MONITOR section:

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-FakeSMC-kozlek

• Like 1

@manwe150 -

thanks - updated...

great stuff --- the newer VoodooPS2Controller (currently v1.7) replaces the 3 older kexts: ApplePS2Controller + AppleACPIPS2Nub + ThinkpadUltraNav.

on my system, I also updated 2 other items:

• AppleIntelE1000e.kext to v2.2.14 - from hnaks site.
  • FakeSMC.kext to v4.3.5 (with updated HWMonitor.app)

will repackage and update the 10.8.2 post soon -- after a i get a bit of runtime!

agree on hibernate. default is mode 3 - but mode 0 is certainly faster and does not use up what like 8GB disk space!

Hello,

I got everything working except one thing: digital video out. VGA works,but on my monitor it looks like {censored}. I tried patching the hex table without any success. I have a IntelHD and nvs4200m. I disabled the nvs in the bios because I failed to get it to work. The HD 3000 works fine, but I need DVI out on my docking station.

DP notebook: not working

DP dock: not working

DVI Dock: not working

VGA dock/notebook: working

Edit: and I have a Problem with the sound: I dont know how to patch my dsdt.aml

thanks for your help :)

Edited by A2A

@a2a - i dont have experience with your box but it seems like it should act like an HD3000-only box if your turn off the other GFX card? anyway here some thoughts...

video - are you using a custom AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB kext? - interesting that you get VGA and no other ports? with default and mac 6,1 or 8,1. the DP/HDMI ports work. i modded using BCC9 and manwe150s info to change my last port. i have these 4 LCD, DP/HDMI, DVI, VGA.... meaning the other ports should work by default - vs getting VGA out?

sound - are using the AppleHDA or voodoohda? - what is in your dsdt.aml as far as layout id for HDEF? if you are using the 10.8.2 applehda kext then the layout ID must be changed to 12 (0x0C) in the HDEF section. A dsdt and matching hda are packed up in post #164 in this thread.

• Like 1

Ok, now I am using all the files from post 164, but still no video output or sound. Maybe there is a way to get my nvs4200 to work, because I think the ports are connected to it and not to the HD3000?

EDIT:

My machine is running Mountain Lion 10.8.2. I need the DVI port. Either via DP to DVI adapter or the DVI Port at the Dock. When I switch my graphics in bios to Nvidia Optimus(both cards) I stuck booting at: AGPM Controller unknownPlatform . When I switch to discrete graphics only I get stuck at: SuperIODevice Fatal found unsupported ship ID=0xffff but my screen is running in full 1600x900 resolution, even chameleon. Only HD3000 only boots.

Update on 06-18-2013 - updated bundle for 10.8.4 -- see post #117 for kext pack and details.

Update on 04-11-2013 -- updated bundle for 10.8.3

• updated FakeSMC + HWmonitor.app
  • revised DSDT - for monitor of fans - and change device VID to IGPU for AGPM
  • added verleihnix SSDT for better speedstepping
  • updated VoodooPS2Controller to 1.8.2 - replaces 3 other related kexts
  • added IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext - for DVD recognition as native

10.8.3 combo patch installation went well upgrading from 10.8.2.

The upgrade from 10.8.2 to 10.8.3 replaced 4 kexts that were previously modified:

• AppleACPIPlatform.kext 1.7
    • rolled back to 1.3.5
  • AppleHDA.kext 2.3.7
    • repatched the binary for CX20590 codec and replaced some of the other associated config files and its working again.
  • AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext 8.10.44
    • re-patched the binary to replace the 4th buffer with VGA configuration - has 4 buffers - LCD, DP/HDMI (on laptop or dock), DVI (on dock) , VGA (on laptop)
  • IOAHCIFamily.kext 2.3.1
    • did not need to patch this binary for 10.8.3 - as the laptop was able to find the boot disk now. so I left it as is now - no patch needed anymore to find boot disk.

Attached is my 10.8.3 bundle with /Extra with SLE kext pack. A few less than before. I hope it works for you!

Thanks to scripts and info from bcc9, hnak, rhabman, kozlek, netkas, manwe150, and others that make hackintosh work (and fun!)

Notes:
see post #164 for more 10.8.2 (kext pack: ML-Extra-kexts-10.8.2.zip

-----------------------

• Like 1

OK sound is now working, but I have another problem: my Keyboard/mouse (trackpoint+pad) are only working when I have an external USB Keyboard/Mouse connected while boot.

And I can boot with nvs4200 enabled but I get a white blanc screen :/

@a2a - odd are they enabled in the bios? what kext are you using. i have moved to the latest voodooPS2Controller currently at 1.8.1 which supports nub, trackpad with or w/o usb mice.

They are enabled in the bios. I am using that voodooPS2Comtroller. But I need the mouse/keyboard only while boot. After that I can remove them and use the internal keyboard/mouse.

In the chameleon loader I can use the internal ones wirhout any problem.

• Like 1

Instructions on page one are for Lion. I am wondering if there are any equivalent instructions that will allow me to go straight to Mountain Lion, skipping the Lion part. I would also like to keep the existing Windows 7 install on the MBR as is therefore, not going to use the EFI method. Can someone please summarize this in to a simpler set of steps for me?

Thanks

@LostVampire - well the method is pretty much the same for Lion or MountainLion. so yes you can go straight to ML. i posted a dsdt and kext pack - see posts 117 and 164 for 10.8.2 for my notes as there are some newer versions since the original post ... and i recently posted a revised pack for 10.8.3 - post #238.

i started with 10.8.0 and then upgraded using the combo patches but you can probably go straight to 10.8.2. i just have the older release so worked up from that.

i hate to say it but i use the unibeeest method to create a USB.

but then copy my T420 /Extra folder to the USB and remove most of the /Extra/Extension kexts. i had to remove NullCPUPM since it was crashing;.

after the install i replace and/or add the SLE kexts with the custom kexts in the zip file. the AppleIntelE1000e.kext goes further down the filesystem in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

i also have a single disk - that can dual boot using MBR format. partition1 is windows and partition 2 is OSX. i install chameleon to select the OS. i chose to not fiddle with the ML installer - i install to 2nd external disk EFI/GUID formatted and then use Carbon Copy to clone it over to my internal disk which is MBR.

good luck

• Like 1

Hello

I managed to have AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext loaded by editing plist in kext.

kernel[0]: [AGPM Controller] build GPUDict by Vendor8086Device0126

<key>MacBookPro8,1</key>

<dict>

<key>Vendor8086Device0126</key>

<dict>

It seems like the book stays cooler

What do you think?

Regards

• Like 1