ESXi 5 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

817 posts in this topic

It does EXACTLY as described, VM power on will MOSTLY (but not always) fail

Unlocker ONLY works correctly for Standalone ESXi & NO vCenter

That ONLY applies to unlocker (editing BIOS & re-creating s.000 does NOT cause any problems - yet the executable is also "touched")

The issue might be (I did not test) due to unlocker using overlay darwin.tgz

Maybe recreation of s.000 (as per this - just s.z is now s.000) would make it work - worth testing

sebus

I am connecting through vclient to the host running OSX, I am using vcenter to do anything on this host, in fact I shut down the other host and removed the host from vcenter and administered the OSX host through vclient directly and the same issue is still apparent

Osx install is running from datastore, whn you say uninstall and reinstall, do you mean Osx? The unlocker or ESXi?

Thanks

As Sebus said uninstall and reinstall the unlocker. Make sure ESXi is standalone. Unlocker should be run from a folder on the datastore.

I may have time and access to a machine to test this week.

I have tested today on ESXi 5.1.0 build 914609 with Unlocker 1.1.0 and I have no problems running guests on it. If you are having a problem upload the vmware.log files for those VMs, and PM me a link.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had an issue with high cpu utilisation at idle? With no user connected the Vm uses almost all available CPU that is assigned to it. When I connect to my OSX vm (10.6) via VNC or the vSphere client then the cpu utilisation drops back down to about 15%. As soon as I exit the CPU utilisation shoots back up. I have since restricted how much of the host CPU it can use, but this doesn't really help because it still burns through what is available and impedes on the VM's performance when in use.

Any ideas?

It's because of the default screen saver. Just disable the screen saver completely since there isn't a screen attached to the guest any way. :)

Thanks - that's always among the first things I do by when I install windows VM's but it never occurred to me here! Doh!

Now averaging 2.05% of the designated cpu capacity when at idle. :)

Thanks - that's always among the first things I do by when I install windows VM's but it never occurred to me here! Doh!

Now averaging 2.05% of the designated cpu capacity when at idle. :)

Just for completeness, also set Energy Saver settings to Never, i.e. Computer sleep and Display sleep also I un-tick "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" and "Allow power button to put the computer to sleep".

@ Dong - I can't find ESXi 5.1.0 build 914609 on the vmware site to download.

VMVisor build 799733 is listed as latest.

Build 914609 is a patch update for the original 5.1 build 799733, if you go to the Download Patches on the VMware site, link below:

http://www.vmware.com/patchmgr/download.portal

Select ESXi (Embedded and Installable) 5.1.0 and hit the search button, you will see the latest patch "ESXi510-201212001" with the relevant Build Number: 914609

This is a 602.4 MB download that can be applied to your original 799733 installation, please note the "Unlocker" will have to be re-applied following the patch.

Also do not apply this patch if you are running ESXi 5.1 on a new MiniMac 6.2, pending the availability of the SMC patch for this new build.

• Like 1

Hi There,

I have a question if I may.

I have an OSX Install Setup in ESXi 5.1 build

914609 using donks unlocker (thanks!).

On a previous installation I was able to get back to my mac working via the icloud settings app. However on my new install it it telling me it cannot connect to the icloud servers.

Anything I can do? searching around found some bits and bobs relating to changing the bootloader to chameleon, and setting a valid computer serial number using some hacks. Something I would rather not do if I can help it.

Can I set a serial number in the VMWare configuration and let it pass through? Any help at all?

Thanks!

just passed the tests :)

ok, running latest 5.1 from usb install, I copied 3 files on esxi host datastore, ssh'ed into host and run the command. I end up with :

~ # /vmfs/volumes/512622aa-c33016d4-2011-00101835e69d/esxi/install.sh

VMware ESXi 5.0 Unlocker 1.1.0

==============================

Copyright: Dave Parsons 2011-12

Patching files...

/vmfs/volumes/512622aa-c33016d4-2011-00101835e69d/esxi/install.sh: line 17: rm: not found

~ # /vmfs/volumes/512622aa-c33016d4-2011-00101835e69d/esxi/install.sh

-sh: /vmfs/volumes/512622aa-c33016d4-2011-00101835e69d/esxi/install.sh: not found

~ # /bin

-sh: /bin: not found

~ # /var

-sh: /var: Permission denied

seems like /bin deleted after process, also cannot login via ssh anymore. I had to reinstall esxi........ twice...

Can someone help me with this issue, any help will be appreciated.

Hi All....

Ive been reading the posts for weeks now and I just got A Dell 2950 II server. I have been tearing hair out trying to figure out how to:

A) install the patch 2 for ESXi i am currently using # esxcli software vib install -d /ESXi-510-2012120001.zip..the directory I am running it from is:

/vmfs/volumes/51225005-2f446dbc-3bbf-001c23c9e598 which is where the ESXi-510-2012120001.zip is located.

When I run it I get the following

/vmfs/volumes/51225005-2f446dbc-3bbf-001c23c9e598 # esxcli software vib install -d /ESXi-510-201212001.zip

[MetadataDownloadError]

Could not download from depot at zip:/ESXi-510-201212001.zip?index.xml, skipping (('zip:/ESXi-510-201212001.zip?index.xml', '', "Error extracting index.xml from /ESXi-510-201212001.zip: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/ESXi-510-201212001.zip'"))

url = zip:/ESXi-510-201212001.zip?index.xml

Please refer to the log file for more details.

/vmfs/volumes/51225005-2f446dbc-3bbf-001c23c9e598 #

any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

On a good note I did find a way to upgrade the bios on theses machines by using Dell Repository Manager ver 1.5 heres the link

http://lonesysadmin.net/2011/03/07/the-easiest-way-to-update-a-dell-servers-firmware/

Thanks!

Figures it out! You have to use the whole path statement to where your zip upgrade file is located even if your in the directory its located in. Did that make sense?

Hi there,

I have been working with Mountain Lion on ESXi 5.1, but there are restrictions on that version as to what can be passed through using VT-d (say USB). I'm trying to install Mountain Lion on ESXi 5.0u2 (fresh install) but I instantly run into a (/) sign after the apple grey-screen boot sequence. I had no problems booting from this same NFS/dmg image for ESXi 5.1 and Mountain Lion. Do I need to convert the .dmg to .iso or is there something else that is causing the boot to break?

ScreenShot2013-02-25at152336_zps5607a5f2.png

You run it by:

cd /vmfs/volumes/512622aa-c33016d4-2011-00101835e69d/esxi

./install.sh

If you try to do what you done, it will remove /bin

sebus

Thanks! Neat trick! It worked, uploading .iso now, we'll see what will happen.

Just finished installing 10.8, everything seems fine. Thanks for the tip!

Hi All...

Thanks for the quick responses! I am using a Dell 2950 II which is on the VMware compatibility list.

I have been reading these threads for weeks now and still cannot get OSX on my ESXi server.

The first thing I did was install Donk's unlocker on the ESXi box and then create the virtual machine from vShere

I have tried booting form the USB stick via EFI Shell and get stuck at this point:

And it seems to just stay there. I have i tried this with DVD and ISO images as well with the same results...as usual your help is appreciated!!

Thanks!

post-937940-0-17993700-1361864551_thumb.png

In fact unlocker esx script needs to have a tiny bit of logic build in to check if running at root level. Otherwise the consequence of deleting /bin can be unpleasant

sebus

Will sort it out.