• Please log in to reply
730 replies to this topic

lieb39

lieb39

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

I updated to 5.1.0 799733 via the CLI, reapplied the patch and my existing Lion VM booted right up with no issue.

Glad to hear - I'll update and attempt to install ML, see if we get some success.

dmatth01

dmatth01

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
5.1 works with the unlocker 1.1.0. Not sure if it's 5.1 or the i7-3770 but it rocks. OSX VMs now boot as fast as my Windows VMs and the tools install without any tricks.

Installing the first OSX VM was a little tricky because IDE ISO images don't work. I used the host USB drive method with the 10.7.4 ESD to get my first OSX VM set up. From there I created two 5GB VMDKs and restored the 10.7.4 ESD to one and the 10.8.0 ESD to the other from within the OSX VM. Now I can map the vmdks to a new vm to install either OS X version in minutes. Would be nice to get mounted ISO over IDE working though.

My 5.1 installer is patched with the additional Intel Ethernet drivers and it's working perfectly with the onboard Ethernet on the M92 and M91 as well. Even works with a Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter on the Mac Mini Server.

slogmeister

slogmeister

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

"mkdir bin" creates a directory named bin. The script removed the bin directory, and recreates it.
Shouldn't be a problem.

Do we have any confirmation that the unlocker works with 5.1?

No, seriously the program "mkdir" is *in* the bin directory which is entirely recursively removed! I ran this script and it blew away the entire /bin directory and then proceeded to fail. Then, I read it and realized it couldn't possibly work. So, if everyone is saying that it works, then I am doing something wrong. Is there *another* bin folder that I should be removing recursively besides /bin?

#!/bin/sh
set -e

echo VMware ESXi 5.0 Unlocker 1.1.0
echo ==============================
echo Copyright: Dave Parsons 2011-12

# Ensure we only use unmodified commands
export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

# Make sure working files are removed
rm -f darwin.tgz
rm -rf ./bin <-------------------kiss all your standard command line programs goodbye!

# Patch the vmx files and place into bin folder
echo Patching files...
rm -rf ./bin <------------------- do it again for some unknown reason
mkdir bin <------------------- Fails. Guess where mkdir was? /bin!!!

But.... "./bin" is not the same as "/bin". So, is there another "bin" directory that I should be removing?

- Slog

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
Seriously you think I would do that in the script. Please re-read the text file and run it from the datastore!!!

sledgehammer89

sledgehammer89

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
https://blogs.vmware...ntain-lion.html
http://partnerweb.vm...acOSX_10_8.html

Looks like ESXi 5.1 is made for Mountain Lion. Will try it after my holiday.

Zebibyte

Zebibyte

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

https://blogs.vmware...ntain-lion.html
http://partnerweb.vm...acOSX_10_8.html

Looks like ESXi 5.1 is made for Mountain Lion. Will try it after my holiday.

Just did a fresh install of ESXi 5.1 on a Dell 2950, mounted 10.8.0 InstallESD.iso I had converted using the steps below. ISO attached as "Emulate IDE" No unlocker required so far, and the install seems to be working. I had to format the destination disk inside the disk utility (per the VMware instructions above)

Update: Ah well, just have the spinning apple logo after the install completed, will have to try again with the unlocker maybe

"The ISO image must be created from the Lion ‘InstallESD.dmg’ (you can open package contents and browse to the "ESD.dmg located in /Contents/Shared Support/InstallESD.dmg.) Using terminal on Mac OS: hdiutil convert InstallESD.dmg -format UDTO -o InstallESD.iso. This will result in a .cdr file (.iso.cdr). You simply remove the ".cdr" and keep the ".iso" I then copied the .iso to a "local" storage on my ESXi box, and pointed the installer to the iso..."

mattpayerle

mattpayerle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
I'd rather not do a full reinstall of the OS up to 5.1. I am flipping through the white pages of the 5.1 upgrade guide but does anyone have a quick way to update via CLI? I figured it was like one of the patches, but when I went to find it, it was not listed. is there a link I can download and patch? or do I need to boot the ISO and go that route?

"The ISO image must be created from the Lion ‘InstallESD.dmg’ (you can open package contents and browse to the "ESD.dmg located in /Contents/Shared Support/InstallESD.dmg.) Using terminal on Mac OS: hdiutil convert InstallESD.dmg -format UDTO -o InstallESD.iso. This will result in a .cdr file (.iso.cdr). You simply remove the ".cdr" and keep the ".iso" I then copied the .iso to a "local" storage on my ESXi box, and pointed the installer to the iso..."

^^^ were you saying this method worked? I haven't tried that method and wanted to see if that was the answer before I wasted some time on it :)

shlomiassaf

shlomiassaf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi

I have ESXI 5, update 1.

~ # vmware -v
VMware ESXi 5.0.0 build-623860

I am trying to install OSX 10.7.4 or 10.7.3

I have a DMG file, I used 7-Zip to extract the InstallESD.dmg from the main DMG file.
InstallESD.dmg was located in \InstallMacOSX.pkg\InstallESD.dmg

Once extracted i used dmg2img to create an ISO.

I patched ESXi with the unlocker 1.1.0
Created a vm using template: AppleMac OS X 10.7 (64-Bit)
Started the VM using CD/DVD drive poiting to Datastore ISO file with "conntect at power on" checked.

In version 10.7.4, 10.7.3 i get the same result. the boot hangs right away.
Using boot -v I get this output:

Shell> boot -v
efiboot loaded from device: Acpi(PNP0A03,0)/Pci(7|1)/Ata(Secondary,Master)/HD(Parrt3,MBRType=20,SigType=00)
boot file path: \/boot.efi
.Loading karnel cache file '\kernelcache'...
root device uuid is '3950B26D-266B-3EA1-867D-58BFEEE4CC92'

This also happends when using boot -v npci=0x2000
It hangs there in either 10.7.3 or 10.7.4
I will appriciate any help

Thanks

shlomiassaf

shlomiassaf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
found the solution.
For future reference:

http://blog.campodoro.org/?p=316

shlomiassaf

shlomiassaf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Guys I another problem now.

I run the installation and i get a white screen with a mouse pointer in the shape of a circle that has blue, red, yellow and green quarters with a moving parts like a fan....

its stuck with that... not moving forward for an hour now...

any thoughts?

Zebibyte

Zebibyte

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I'd rather not do a full reinstall of the OS up to 5.1. I am flipping through the white pages of the 5.1 upgrade guide but does anyone have a quick way to update via CLI? I figured it was like one of the patches, but when I went to find it, it was not listed. is there a link I can download and patch? or do I need to boot the ISO and go that route?

^^^ were you saying this method worked? I haven't tried that method and wanted to see if that was the answer before I wasted some time on it :)

Yes this method of ISO creation worked for installation, and through the reboots that the installer does. However in my situation (ESXI 5.1 no unlocker yet), I cannot complete a boot up into 10.8.0. I do think the ISO is viable though, just need to sort out the other issues.

RE: ESXI 5.1, it's a single install/upgrade ISO. So get that on a disc or unetbootin USB drive, and boot from it will either fresh install for you, or perform the upgrade on an existing 5.0 install.

mattpayerle

mattpayerle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Ahhh! Ok, yeah, I'll get that on a bootable USB and do the update - hopefully I won't have too many issues with that. Good to know about that method of ISO creation. I'll try that out on another box and see if it boots.

mattpayerle

mattpayerle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Got updated to 5.1 - Booted to my Mountain Lion drive and just got a spinning wheel. Uninstalled patch, rebooted, reinstalled patch and it booted within a few seconds! Awesome! Haven't tried the ISO creation yet, but will keep that in the back of my bag of tricks to try a little later - who am I kidding, I don't have much else to do, so it will probably be tested in the next few days.

BTW - did anyone do the Upgrade virtual hardware? My ESXi box has two machines - Ubuntu and ML. Was curious if anyone tried this and saw any changes.

threeonparfive

threeonparfive

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Just upgraded from ESXi 5.0 U1 to 5.1 via CLI (by way of PuTTY) using this method:
http://www.vladan.fr...de-to-esxi-5-1/

I didn't even re-apply patch. My Mountain Lion VM just booted right up. As a matter of fact, I'm now able to boot it with 2 cores without a warning from ESX. I'm a little affraid to upgrade virtual hardware and tools at this point though.

mattpayerle

mattpayerle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Just upgraded from ESXi 5.0 U1 to 5.1 via CLI (by way of PuTTY) using this method:

I didn't even re-apply patch. My Mountain Lion VM just booted right up. As a matter of fact, I'm now able to boot it with 2 cores without a warning from ESX. I'm a little affraid to upgrade virtual hardware and tools at this point though.

I actually just upgraded the virtual hardware on my ubuntu machine and it failed to boot - fortunately I read quickly first to take a snapshot of the machine just prior to doing it. So I went back (had to reboot after the roll back) and it worked without issue. I did however find out that updating the vmware tools first on the VM should prevent issues. Testing now on my Ubuntu box and will follow up on my ML machine and here.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Please re-apply the patch as you are now running a 5.0U1/5.1 hybrid which could cause problems in the future.

mattpayerle

mattpayerle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Any help here? I have tried this method to create the ISO from DMG and it is failing during boot "Waiting for root device". I thought there was another method of doing it that was listed here but I can't seem to find it now - if so, I likely did it. But any assistance would be nice :) - not a huge requirement because everything is built, just trying to learn more.

hdiutil convert InstallESD.dmg -format UDTO -o InstallESD.iso

savestheday

savestheday

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Please re-apply the patch as you are now running a 5.0U1/5.1 hybrid which could cause problems in the future.

What would be the proper way to upgrade without it being a hybrid? I ask because reading here:

It says that pressing Shift + R at the loader screen would bring you back to 5.0. I usually upgrade via SSH so if there's a better way that would make it more unlocker friendly I'd like to know. Thanks Donk!

threeonparfive

threeonparfive

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

What would be the proper way to upgrade without it being a hybrid? I ask because reading here:

It says that pressing Shift + R at the loader screen would bring you back to 5.0. I usually upgrade via SSH so if there's a better way that would make it more unlocker friendly I'd like to know. Thanks Donk!

He's just saying to re-run the unlocker patch after the ESXi upgrade to avoid being in a "hybrid" state.

zSprawl

zSprawl

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I followed the directions here:

to update from ESXi 5 to 5.1 and the vCenter App to 5.1 as well. (Reboot)

I reran the install script for the 1.1.0 unlocker. It hung with "/usr/bin" as the last thing on the screen. After 30 minutes or so, I ctrl-c'ed out and ran the uninstall.sh script, then the install script immediately after. It took about 5 minutes to complete. (Reboot)

Then I updated the hardware to version 9 and the OS X 10.7.4 VM booted without a hitch. In fact, it boots a lot faster than before.

I updated the tools and rebooted the VM. I then updated the OS to 10.7.5 and Safari to 6.0.1. I then installed xCode 4.5 that I downloaded from Apple's site.

Back in business. Thanks!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy