Fix the time difference between osx86 and Windows in multiboot setups.

43 posts in this topic

Thanks for the guide.  I have a laptop with 2 hard drives one with Win7 and the other with Lion.  Till I saw your guide I thought I was just going to live with changing the time in Windows if I wanted a Hackintosh drive.

It works great.

• 4 weeks later...

What about this: don't write any fancy scripts or make any changes with OSX.

Simply set up the Windows internet time sync function to run, whenever the system boots into Windows.

Then: both operating systems can be set to the correct local time zone, and both OSX & Windows onscreen clocks show the correct local time.

• 3 months later...

I've got my Windows install configured to get time from the internet, but it doesn't automatically correct the clock when I boot into it.  Given that my PC might be used for many things besides running Windows and osx86, I opted to fix it using this script.  Using a registry edit in Windows is easier, but I prefer to bring OS X in line with the rest of the OS world.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have BootCamp. There is one service named "AppleTimeSrv". This service is to run C:\Windows\system32\AppleTimeSrv.exe and includes the description "Maintains time and date when switching between Mac OS X and Windows".

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

report back:  This is only working if you use Sierra back and forward with Windows.,  If you don't use Sierra for "say' a week and only use Windows, your Windows time will be incorrect. To fix this issue, you need to login to Sierra then restart and your Windows time will be corrected.

So, I think the best way is regedit in Windows.  Time will always be corrected even if U don't use Sierra for a long time. 

report back:  This is only working if you use Sierra back and forward with Windows.,  If you don't use Sierra for "say' a week and only use Windows, your Windows time will be incorrect. To fix this issue, you need to login to Sierra then restart and your Windows time will be corrected.

So, I think the best way is regedit in Windows.  Time will always be corrected even if U don't use Sierra for a long time. 

Hey loganMac, thanks for reporting this.

I haven't been able to test this on Sierra, but I don't understand what you're saying.

Your Windows time will be correct for a few days, but after a week, it will be incorrect?

Are you sure the timezone in Windows is set correctly? Maybe Windows' internet time synchronisation kicks in after a week,

and sets the time to the wrong value?

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

So, I know that this topic is old, as great and wonderful that it is and that it does work, I am still going to go on a rant about why I needed this to work and why the other methods were clearly not going to fix any of the problems that I have with date and time...

On 8/7/2011 at 5:53 PM, snackole said:

If you install Bootcamp drivers on your Windows hard drive it will fix that and allow you to see your HFS drives and your magic mouse will work too.

The thing is, you do not want to just install ALL of the contents of the Bootcamp drivers as they could cause any already existing drivers to become messed up as these drivers are made specifically for a real Apple Mac. I admit that I have downloaded and extracted the Bootcamp drivers, BUT I only installed ONE thing. That one and only thing is the "BootCamp.msi" with everything else deleted so it would not attempt to install everything else. This installer alone, absolutely by itself, will give you the drivers to READ ONLY the HFS and HFS+ partitions.

I re-downloaded the latest Bootcamp that is obtainable from Apples website and found the TimeSyncService.dll in the IntelMgmtEngine.exe installer. But, as said, if I were to go willy-nilly and just install this, it will for sure mess up my Intel Turbo Boost on my Windows installation.

On 8/8/2011 at 12:12 PM, WallyFTW said:

Easiest fix I've found:

Boot into Windows.

Run --> Regedit

Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation\

Check if a DWORD (32-Bit) called "RealTimeIsUniversal" exists. If it does, make sure its value "1". If it doesn't make a new DWORD (32-Bit) and call it "RealTimeIsUniversal" and have it set a value of 1.

Reboot into OS X.

Set the time via time.apple.com.

Reboot into Windows.

All should be well.

On 8/10/2011 at 7:12 AM, nyolc8 said:

What is the problem with it? I'm using this registry method for a year now, without any problem. Why scripting better, what are the benefits of it?

On 8/10/2011 at 9:57 AM, nozyczek said:

Agree, much cleaner

https://sites.google.com/site/nozyczek/home...windows-and-osx

I have been using registry method since the beginning. No problems.

The registry edit is just bending to Apples yoke more. And the scripting...a rant will follow later in this comment...

On 4/1/2013 at 8:24 AM, pashoni said:

I think That I have found the easiest solution for this problem.

I think that the only thing you should do is change the time zone on your mac insallation.

Here is my example:

My mac was showing 17:00 o'clock instead of the 15:00, which was the time at the moment.

I'm living in time zone X and all I needed to do was to change it to X-2 time zone and lock the changes.

I've restarted my pc serveral times and both Windows and Mac are showing the right time.

I hope someone else is going to try this, in order to see if this really works.

On 4/1/2013 at 2:27 PM, Gringo Vermelho said:

Yeah but now your time zone is wrong. This remains the best way because it eliminates the issue completely, with zero undesirable side effects.

...unless you count your BIOS clock now showing UTC as undesirable of course. But why would you.

(A horrible attempt to be funny...) Dude, don't be a gringo and go with the flow of the [hack in the tosh]... Hack the Mac! Seriously the registry edit is really just bending to Apples yoke. Do not let them control you ( *cough* G00gl3 )

But yes, I have attempted the Time Zone change (pashoni, you use a lot of return lines) but since I live in the "United States of America" (Woo... no, I am not living it up) I now also have the issue of the Daylight Savings Time one hour difference issue (no, I am not going to move because of this. Plus, I have no motivation). Hence another reason why it was also very important for me to get this script to work...

On 2/17/2013 at 12:29 AM, skim32 said:

Thanks. OP. Was looking for a fix on the OSX side forever. For everyone who keeps saying that the Windows Registry hack is the "better" way. You guys aren't fully correct. For people like me who use Windows Media Center with a TV tuner card, the windows registry fix is not a viable solution. It screws up the recording schedules. The only fix for people who use WMC, is the OSX fix.

On 6/12/2013 at 11:47 PM, MegaloDon said:

I think people are missing his point here.  We are talking about a hackintosh here.  A PC whose BIOS is designed to have the time set in local time.  Macs are designed for UTC.  If you use the regedit fix, the time will be wrong in the BIOS and possibly cause other problems (like skim32's WMC problem).  Also be careful using bootcamp on a hackintosh.  It might screw up the boot sector of your Windows installation.  Keep in mind that bootcamp is designed for real Macs which use EFI boot.

Yes, thank you very much harmc0re . This indeed did resolve a lot of my issues as I do multi-boot more than just Windows and Mac OS, I also multi-boot Linux (yeah, I am aware of there being a fix for that too but...) and Android! I am not aware of there being a fix for Android and that is why it was so very important to get this fully functioning script to work as the Windows registry edit will not fix an issue that Mac OS will cause for not one but three other operating systems on the same computer...

Edited to add: Also, personally I think if you do not do this mod, you really are not a Hackintosh enthusiast... (and maybe just a straight up Windows user. "Loser." -  Eugene "The Plague" Belford from the movie Hackers [1995])

Edited by sierra2600