Fix the time difference between osx86 and Windows in multiboot setups.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

dannymichel

dannymichel

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Thank you very much.

pashoni

pashoni

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
I think That I have found the easiest solution for this problem.

I think that the only thing you should do is change the time zone on your mac insallation.

Here is my example:
My mac was showing 17:00 o'clock instead of the 15:00, which was the time at the moment.

I'm living in time zone X and all I needed to do was to change it to X-2 time zone and lock the changes.

I've restarted my pc serveral times and both Windows and Mac are showing the right time.

I hope someone else is going to try this, in order to see if this really works.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 5,860 posts

Yeah but now your time zone is wrong. This remains the best way because it eliminates the issue completely, with zero undesirable side effects.

Boot into Windows.
Run --> Regedit

Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation\
Check if a DWORD (32-Bit) called "RealTimeIsUniversal" exists. If it does, make sure its value "1". If it doesn't make a new DWORD (32-Bit) and call it "RealTimeIsUniversal" and have it set a value of 1.

Reboot into OS X.
Set the time via time.apple.com.
Reboot into Windows.
All should be well.

...unless you count your BIOS clock now showing UTC as undesirable of course. But why would you.

MegaloDon

MegaloDon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 55 posts

Before the osx86 installation, the bios time is the localtime, so I think it should stay that way.

I think people are missing his point here.  We are talking about a hackintosh here.  A PC whose BIOS is designed to have the time set in local time.  Macs are designed for UTC.  If you use the regedit fix, the time will be wrong in the BIOS and possibly cause other problems (like skim32's WMC problem).  Also be careful using bootcamp on a hackintosh.  It might screw up the boot sector of your Windows installation.  Keep in mind that bootcamp is designed for real Macs which use EFI boot.

b1gdadd1

b1gdadd1

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

I just converted my work PC into a dual-boot Win7 and ML machine  :dev:.  The script and launchdaemon solved my annoying time difference.

Thanks harm! 

harmc0re

harmc0re

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

I just converted my work PC into a dual-boot Win7 and ML machine  :dev:.  The script and launchdaemon solved my annoying time difference.

Thanks harm! 

You are welcome!

If you read through the comments you may have noticed that some people are sceptical on this approach.

That's why I'm glad to hear other people prefering this method.

I wrote this guide two years ago and I still stand strong behind my statement that this is the best possible fix.

OS X causes the issue, and it should be fixed in OS X as well.

Thanks for your reply, and congrats on the dual-boot setup.

jmi58

jmi58

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Thanks for the guide.  I have a laptop with 2 hard drives one with Win7 and the other with Lion.  Till I saw your guide I thought I was just going to live with changing the time in Windows if I wanted a Hackintosh drive.

It works great.

richtig

richtig

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

What about this: don't write any fancy scripts or make any changes with OSX.

Simply set up the Windows internet time sync function to run, whenever the system boots into Windows.

Then: both operating systems can be set to the correct local time zone, and both OSX & Windows onscreen clocks show the correct local time.

MackHack

MackHack

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I've got my Windows install configured to get time from the internet, but it doesn't automatically correct the clock when I boot into it.  Given that my PC might be used for many things besides running Windows and osx86, I opted to fix it using this script.  Using a registry edit in Windows is easier, but I prefer to bring OS X in line with the rest of the OS world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy