ULTIMATIVE wakeup the Lion from sleep topic

longtom

75 posts in this topic

Everyone with wake problems please check this:

EP45-UD3LR. CMOS patch applied.

If I wake my computer with the power button (or WoL?), Lion will wake with the monitor turned off.

So if I touch the keyboard or mouse afterward waking it, the screen will turn on and the system will stay awake. Great.

BUT if I do not touch the keyboard or mouse, the screen will stay turned off, and after a few seconds the system will reenter sleep.

--

This lead me to believe that my sleep wasn't working, when it actually is (I *MUST* touch the keyboard or mouse after waking it). I figured this out by coincidence.

--

So it seems like sleep is working and wake is working, but the behavior seems quite weird. Why does the system go to sleep again if I do not touch the keyboard or mouse within 5 sec of waking it? And why doesn't the monitor turn on?

So you guys who are having trouble with wake, can you check if this is actually what is going on with your system?

I have this issue as well with waking from power button... I have a few seconds for a keyboard/mouse click to fully wake it, or it goes back to sleep. What is interesting, I can wake with wired aluminum apple keyboard or wired mouse with one click, also with an apple wireless keyboard with one click, however, with one click of an apple wireless trackpad or magic mouse, the system will wake with monitor asleep, and it will go back to sleep. Two clicks with the magic mouse/trackpad fully wakes it.

So I have issues with power button, magic mouse, and magic trackpad needing an additional click to fully wake the system before it goes back to sleep. All other methods of waking seem OK.

Sleep issues here on a Maximus formula (rampage BIOS) x38. DSDT has been patched via MaLd0N's maximus/rampage profile which includes sleep fix. System goes into sleep fine, but I cannot wake it, even with the power button. Must force shutdown. CMOS also resets during this process.

• 2 weeks later...

Asus P5Q-E (BIOS 2001 by _smith@@) -> DSDT by AutoPatcher + HDEF by DSDT Editor

Sleep was working well (it was waking up normally), but I had the CMOS problem, then I applied the binary patch and the wake stopped working.

Asus X58 Sabertooth here, with sleep/wake working great! Using DSDT found here: http://jeffsprotberry.com/theblog/2011/05/...x58-and-i7-950/

Sabertooth X58 sleep/wake also working with no AppleRTC patches as long as I limit my over clock to 3.8 GHz. With my normal 4.2 GHz overclock that works fine in SL wake up stops working and I get New CPU installed message when restarting.

I have an Asrock Wolfdale1333 R2 with a DSDT patched by me that worked fine in SL, now in Lion sleep wasn't working and I've been trying like crazy for 3 days straight and now its working perfectly! ;)

Im still using the GMA950 onboard (which is also patched in the dsdt and its running perfect with full QE/ci) , but I'm planning to buy something better in a few days, back to the point:

i used the CMOS patch, and it wasn't still working, the machine rebooted when trying to wake from sleep, then, after trying a billion things, i found in the bios that the option "Execute Disable Bit" was disabled, i enabled it, and voila, sleep works perfect after that change.

id suggest everyone with problems to check that option in the bios setup.

I have a laptop (Samsung Q430-11) that has a Q430/Q530 board manufactured by Samsung.

I have no problems waking from sleep, but the display doesn't light back up unless I push a key on the keyboard... odd. The trackpad won't do anything either.

For people who have trouble waking their computers up (like it just won't wake up), try disabling Legacy USB (my laptop won't sleep/wake up without it disabled).

Sleep and wake-up works 100% using Apple USB keyboard and Apple USB Mighty Mouse or wireless Mighty Mouse.

Sleep only sleeps for 2-3 seconds and wakes up right away when using the same Apple USB keyboard and Magic mouse, or Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse.

System: Asus P8P67 Deluxe with DSDT, speed-stepping patched AICPUPM kext, and AppleIntelE1000e.kext (1.3.10 or 1.3.17). No NullCPUPM or SleepEnabler.kext.

The trick is to disable Internal PLL Overvoltage in BIOS.

I have a laptop (Samsung Q430-11) that has a Q430/Q530 board manufactured by Samsung.

I have no problems waking from sleep, but the display doesn't light back up unless I push a key on the keyboard... odd. The trackpad won't do anything either.

For people who have trouble waking their computers up (like it just won't wake up), try disabling Legacy USB (my laptop won't sleep/wake up without it disabled).

If Lion doesn't recognize the "Wake Reason", which is most likely what is up with your system, it will wake into a low power state with graphics suppressed, until it receives another HID event (ie. button press).

This is the result of some of the new power management stuff Apple added in Lion (to allow graphics to be turned off when the system is being woke for network access or if a usb device is removed).

There currently isn't a solution to this problem. And it doesn't really seem like anyone with the potential to fix it is looking into it.

• 3 weeks later...
I guess there must be a way to fix this with DSDT. Can someone with working PWR-Button-wake post his DSDT please? Please post your "Wake reason:" from system log also, after waking with PWR Button.

this is from my p5k-se

22/08/11 01:17:04.000 kernel: Wake reason: PWRB (User)

device (PWRB) in dsdt

Device (PWRB)
	{
		Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))
		Name (_UID, 0xAA)
		Name (_STA, 0x0B)
	}

Thanks Noam, that could do the trick. I'll give it a try ASAP :P

EDIT: I added your PWR Button Device to my DSDT, no go. Wake Reason is still "?". I guess more sophisticated DSDT patching is needed to make it work. Maybe it's a BIOS "limitation" of the P45 Boards giving no wake reason if wake is caused by the power button...

Thanks Noam, that could do the trick. I'll give it a try ASAP :)

EDIT: I added your PWR Button Device to my DSDT, no go. Wake Reason is still "?". I guess more sophisticated DSDT patching is needed to make it work. Maybe it's a BIOS "limitation" of the P45 Boards giving no wake reason if wake is caused by the power button...

I'm not sure if it a limit of P45, that would be weird.

I guess there's more to it that just the PWRB device in the DSDT, there could be other things that needs to be copied, or maybe BIOS editing is needed, I don't know...

this is from my p5k-se

22/08/11 01:17:04.000 kernel: Wake reason: PWRB (User)

device (PWRB) in dsdt

Device (PWRB)
	{
		Name (_UID, 0xAA)
		Name (_STA, 0x0B)
	}

And, you also have power-button sleep without the usual PWRB dsdt modd '_CID'?

This

Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))

hey men, didn't really understood the question

i'm currently use this

Device (PWRB)
	{
		Name (_UID, 0xAA)
		Name (_STA, 0x0B)
	}

and i know for some they need to change HID to CID, for me it works with HID

so are you asking if it works with the fix? CID?

anyway, i'm now going to test with CID and will report back

OK rayap, i tried with CID and now i'm getting even more goodie :)

so for clarification, when i used

i get in console this, when waking from power button

23/08/11 06:14:04.000 kernel: Wake reason: PWRB (User)

now, after changing to

Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))

I'm getting in console

23/08/11 06:16:42.000 kernel: Wake reason: power-button (User)