P8P67Pro and Non Pro Lion install usb for dummies..

^Andy^

654 posts in this topic

Too bad, couldn't replicate it. BUT I had a Acronis image from my first installation, and guess what:

2eprri8.jpg

So I'm running my HD 5780 with GraphicsEnabler=No and have native graphics support, the performance is much smother as with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. As I told before, with GE=Yes there is no entry ATY.Uakari listed in PCI-Cards as well.

How is that possible, can please someone tell me??? Since I'm not be able to replicate it and it would be good to know, when I'm trying to do a fresh install the next time.

Thanks.

So I'm running my HD 5780 with GraphicsEnabler=No and have native graphics support, the performance is much smother as with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. As I told before, with GE=Yes there is no entry ATY.Uakari listed in PCI-Cards as well.

How is that possible, can please someone tell me??? Since I'm not be able to replicate it and it would be good to know, when I'm trying to do a fresh install the next time.

Thanks.

Are you saying that you are getting better performance with GraphicsEnabler = No? Maybe I will try that when I get back home. I have it set to Yes, and have several issues (see post above yours). Also with both Yes and No options I do not see anything listed under PCI.

Are you saying that you are getting better performance with GraphicsEnabler = No?

Exactly, but just with my first installation (10.6.8 > 10.7). Under PCI-Cards it says "Driver installed: Yes" (Treiber installiert: Ja) this is how it looks like on a real Mac.

When I try to install it all over again from scratch with andyboot5.iso, I can't bring it back. It could be possible, in my first install (10.6.8) I used andyboot4.iso where there was a bundle of ATI kexts included, maybe I've used this, then upgraded to 10.7 Lion and the system keeped those custom kexts?

Whats changed since version 4?

The boot cd uses a newer chameleon build,

The packages no longer install the mach_kernel or ATI drivers - neither are necessary for 10.6.8 or Lion,

@Andy

Anything special about those "ATI drivers" ?

A bit OT, but any chance to get a Sapphire Radeon HD 6750 1GB Vapor-X to work with lion? (0x68BF1002) :P

Exactly, but just with my first installation (10.6.8 > 10.7). Under PCI-Cards it says "Driver installed: Yes" (Treiber installiert: Ja) this is how it looks like on a real Mac. When I try to install it all over again from scratch with andyboot5.iso, I can't bring it back. It could be possible, in my first install (10.6.8) I used andyboot4.iso where there was a bundle of ATI kexts included, maybe I've used this, then upgraded to 10.7 Lion and the system keeped those custom kexts?

I tried with Graphics Enabler = No and that worsened the performance. Everything on my system seems fine with it on Yes, except the game Braid, so I'm guessing it's probably the game itself and not the system. I find the window resizing animations may be slightly jerky compared to my SL, otherwise seems fine.

I've added my screenshot as well and notice some differences

• I notice that your ATI information is listed under PCI Cards, whereas mine is under Graphics / Displays - dont know why.
  • Also yours shows iMac both under the 'About this Mac' and System Report, while mine shows Macbook Pro under system report. Not sure why this is.
  • Also you seem to be getting the exact model of your card - 5870, while mine just shows 5700 series. Weird...

Any feedback welcome - thanks!

post-801476-1310487453_thumb.jpg

• I notice that your ATI information is listed under PCI Cards, whereas mine is under Graphics / Displays - dont know why.
  • Also yours shows iMac both under the 'About this Mac' and System Report, while mine shows Macbook Pro under system report. Not sure why this is.
  • Also you seem to be getting the exact model of your card - 5870, while mine just shows 5700 series. Weird...

- Yes mine is showing the card in Graphics / Displays AND PCI-Cards + HDMI Audio working

I think I have a idea, I have almost the same machine at my office except the graphic card is a HD 6750, will try to replicate by cloning the HD over there and see what will happened. I guess it has something to do with my boot file and Extra folder.

14v9cm.jpg

- Yes mine is showing the card in Graphics / Displays AND PCI-Cards + HDMI Audio working

I think I have a idea, I have almost the same machine at my office except the graphic card is a HD 6750, will try to replicate by cloning the HD over there and see what will happened. I guess it has something to do with my boot file and Extra folder.

Have you changed anything yourself in the boot file or extras folder or have you used the stock Andy method on page 1? If I am not mistaken the Sabertooth DSDT that Andy has used is the one you have provided right? Or is there anything different from that one? I've upgraded from 10.6.8 (using Andy Boot CD 4 for the original 10.6.7 install) and not a clean install in case that makes any difference...

Thanks!

Have you changed anything yourself in the boot file or extras folder or have you used the stock Andy method on page 1? If I am not mistaken the Sabertooth DSDT that Andy has used is the one you have provided right? Or is there anything different from that one? I've upgraded from 10.6.8 (using Andy Boot CD 4 for the original 10.6.7 install) and not a clean install in case that makes any difference...

Thanks!

There were 2 dsdt's provided - one with hdmi enabled and one without - I included the one 'without' in the package (just in case the one with causes problems for owners of other gpu's etc).

There were 2 dsdt's provided - one with hdmi enabled and one without - I included the one 'without' in the package (just in case the one with causes problems for owners of other gpu's etc).

Thanks Andy, mine is the XFX Radeon HD 5770, which has a mini HDMI along with 2 DVI ports. Can I grab the DSDT from the P8P67 thread and replace with the one in my Extra folder? Will anyway try that and post back - not sure if it will resolve the small graphics issues I'm facing (mentioned in my previous posts), but it should enable my HDMI audio right? Have not tried it so far.

EDIT: Looks like the only difference between the two is the enabling of HDMI audio, so I guess it should not make a difference.

EDIT 2: Replaced the DSDT with the HDMI one from the P8P67 thread, and it refused to boot. Went blank after the Grey Apple screen with the spinning gear - any idea why? Have installed afresh now.

Hey Andy,

Built my system around yours and have been running Lion since you posted this with 100% success (aside from the following quirk)

No matter how many times I shut down and restart my audio works 100%, UNTIL I boot into Windows. After using Windows and then booting back into OSX all my audio devices are gone and I have to re-run your installer to get them back. This enables audio until I use Windows again (even if I restart or shutdown and reboot into OSX). I dunno man I am lost. Any ideas?

No matter how many times I shut down and restart my audio works 100%, UNTIL I boot into Windows. After using Windows and then booting back into OSX all my audio devices are gone and I have to re-run your installer to get them back. This enables audio until I use Windows again (even if I restart or shutdown and reboot into OSX). I dunno man I am lost. Any ideas?

Ah I have the same problem, I fix it by running Kext Utility and reboot. Strange thing is when I'm booting into Windows the Intel NIC dosen't work there, fixing it by reinstalling via the device-manager.

I know a bit uncomfortable....

As mentioned before, I did a fresh install, and everything is working fine, except for the one thing I need. I use a Saffire Focusrite 24 external firewire sound interface for my music production, and when I upgraded from 10.6.8 to Lion, everything was working fine. Now when i've installed afresh, I'm getting huge issues with the sound. Without the Saffire turned on, it shows the internal sound in the output (system prefs>sound). When I turn on the Saffire, everything including the internal sound output disappears. Sometimes when I restart, the Saffire shows up and I can play audio with iTunes / VLC etc, but if I launch Logic Pro, the output again goes blank. In addition to this the Saffire Mixcontrol also crashes on launch, even at the times when the Saffire is not connected. Since this worked in the upgraded Lion, I dont see why it should not work with the fresh install. Tried reinstalling but did not help.

This is driving me nuts! Any thoughts?

Also wanted to check - if I remove the DSDT from the extra folder, is there a chance the system wont boot? Last time I messed with the DSDT I had a non bootable system, and since I do not know how to correct this without reinstalling, it takes me a while to get a working system back!

post-801476-1310578391_thumb.png

post-801476-1310578400_thumb.png

post-801476-1310578406_thumb.png

As mentioned before, I did a fresh install, and everything is working fine, except for the one thing I need. I use a Saffire Focusrite 24 external firewire sound interface for my music production, and when I upgraded from 10.6.8 to Lion, everything was working fine. Now when i've installed afresh, I'm getting huge issues with the sound. Without the Saffire turned on, it shows the internal sound in the output (system prefs>sound). When I turn on the Saffire, everything including the internal sound output disappears. Sometimes when I restart, the Saffire shows up and I can play audio with iTunes / VLC etc, but if I launch Logic Pro, the output again goes blank. In addition to this the Saffire Mixcontrol also crashes on launch, even at the times when the Saffire is not connected. Since this worked in the upgraded Lion, I dont see why it should not work with the fresh install. Tried reinstalling but did not help.

This is driving me nuts! Any thoughts?

Also wanted to check - if I remove the DSDT from the extra folder, is there a chance the system wont boot? Last time I messed with the DSDT I had a non bootable system, and since I do not know how to correct this without reinstalling, it takes me a while to get a working system back!

post-801476-1310578391_thumb.png

post-801476-1310578400_thumb.png

post-801476-1310578406_thumb.png

Firstly - You should be safe to remove the dsdt - all you 'should' lose is eSata functionality - note I said 'Should'

Secondly I've not experienced any of these problems with audio - in your case thats almost certainly due to me not having the same hardware as you.

To those of you with audio issues - do you all have more than one sound card installed? I use only the onboard audio (I got pissed off a long time ago trying to get my X-Fi card working so gave up on that and stuck with onboard audio instead). If you are not using onboard audio you can probably safely remove the ALC892HDA51B.kext and HDAEnabler892.kext from S/L/E and restore the original 10.7 AppleHDA.kext from the installation media (dont forget to delete the System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\Extensions.mkext if you do) - no guarantees but worth a try possibly - usual disclaimers apply - if you don't backup first and you screw the pooch then you only have yourself to blame :P

Firstly - You should be safe to remove the dsdt - all you 'should' lose is eSata functionality - note I said 'Should'

Secondly I've not experienced any of these problems with audio - in your case thats almost certainly due to me not having the same hardware as you.

To those of you with audio issues - do you all have more than one sound card installed? I use only the onboard audio (I got pissed off a long time ago trying to get my X-Fi card working so gave up on that and stuck with onboard audio instead). If you are not using onboard audio you can probably safely remove the ALC892HDA51B.kext and HDAEnabler892.kext from S/L/E and restore the original 10.7 AppleHDA.kext from the installation media (dont forget to delete the System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\Extensions.mkext if you do) - no guarantees but worth a try possibly - usual disclaimers apply - if you don't backup first and you screw the pooch then you only have yourself to blame :)

Hi Andy, many thanks for the reply. The Saffire is an external firewire box with Mac drivers and software for it (Saffire Mixcontrol), so I guess it may be different from an internal second soundcard in the sense that I can turn it off to disable it and use the onboard sound. The thing is I also use the onboard sound for day to day use, and the saffire when I'm working on my projects.

The only reason this is frustrating me is that sound on both was working fine in 10.6.7, 10.6.8 and the upgraded Lion, but is now giving me problems with the fresh install. Let me experiment on the weekend and post back the results.

Also what's the best way to backup in case I need to restore? Can I use Time Machine just on my system drive (64GB SSD) or would I need to clone it?

Thanks again!

EDIT: Tried again with a fresh install, and even with no other software installed, the Saffire Mixcontrol is crashing. I'm guessing it's a Lion incompatibility problem, though I'm not sure how it worked with the upgraded OS though. I've reinstalled 10.6.8 and everything is working flawlessly, including both audio options.

EDIT: Have heard back from Focusrite support that it does not work with Lion and a new software is being released soon. Weird that it was working with the upgraded OS though...

I can't get this to work. First off, I can't get the USB to boot. I have the correct HD mode, I have extras and I've reinstalled it about 3 times. If I try to boot the USB from my previous boot menu, I am getting the kernel panic on boot. I am running the P8P67 rev. 3.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't get this to work. First off, I can't get the USB to boot. I have the correct HD mode, I have extras and I've reinstalled it about 3 times. If I try to boot the USB from my previous boot menu, I am getting the kernel panic on boot. I am running the P8P67 rev. 3.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your previous boot menu will no doubt load the wrong kernel etc - you must boot from the usb drive.

Not sure what else I can try. Maybe it's the release of lion that I'm using? tried two separate usb sticks and getting blinking curser on each of them. I also tried your boot5 ISO (cd) and that results in a reboot when loading the lion install disk or usb.

Your previous boot menu will no doubt load the wrong kernel etc - you must boot from the usb drive.

Not sure what else I can try. Maybe it's the release of lion that I'm using? tried two separate usb sticks and getting blinking curser on each of them. I also tried your boot5 ISO (cd) and that results in a reboot when loading the lion install disk or usb.

The bootcd will not load the lion installer, you have to build the usb stick and boot from it unfortunately.

Try booting your usb stick via the asus boot menu (repeatedly whack F8 during the post screen and select the usb stick when you get the boot options appear).

Edit, was able to finally get this working. I need to install chameleon to the USB drive first and then install your installer file or I just get the blinking curser. After the install I'm not getting sound or network with my standard p8p67 rev 3.1. This is after re-installing your installer to my hard drive post install. Any ideas on how to get these working?

<edit> sound and network now working after [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]

Hey Guys!

First - Thanks for your excellent work! Your works helped me many time! But now i have a seriously problem, I tried everything, and always fall to reboot-loop...

So I have an Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard. I know, it's no P8P67, but it looks like P8P67Pro. Everything serious things work, BUT when I try repair my audio (ALC892), the Lion always fall to restart-loop.

So... I downloaded your P8P67Pro pack, and I extract the ALC892Temp from it. I copied 3 kext to S/L/E, ran the Kext Utility, and restart. When I hit Enter to my Lion in Chameleon, my system is restarting always... Tried with -v -x, same thing happened...

When I tried with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] -- AppleHDARollback, ALC8xxHDA and Non-DSDT HDA - ALC892 -- same things happened...

Can you advice anything for me?

Thanks a lot!

Gyula

-- Sorry for my English... I'm from Hungary --

Edit: I tried the Terminal Patching method too... Not worked...

Hi Andy,

Thank you very much for your work. Everything is going well so far, had to rollback HDA to get sound and that's it.

However, I have a Sapphire HD5850 Xtreme card with 1xDVI 1xHDMI 1xDP, my main display is plugged in DVI port, my second is connected to HDMI port. I had nothing to do at all, QE/CI working OOB BUT it displays ATI Radeon HD 5000 1024Mb and DVD Player crashes.

I naturally tried with Graphics Enabler on, no crash, right display in System Profiler BUT my HDMI monitor is recognized as VGA Monitor (instead of Syncmaster) and has improper resolution choices as well as blueish colors, and becomes unusable.

For now I'll stick to GE=No, but it'll be great to have a fully working system !

Any thoughts ?

Thanks !

Hi Andy,

Thank you very much for your work. Everything is going well so far, had to rollback HDA to get sound and that's it.

However, I have a Sapphire HD5850 Xtreme card with 1xDVI 1xHDMI 1xDP, my main display is plugged in DVI port, my second is connected to HDMI port. I had nothing to do at all, QE/CI working OOB BUT it displays ATI Radeon HD 5000 1024Mb and DVD Player crashes.

I naturally tried with Graphics Enabler on, no crash, right display in System Profiler BUT my HDMI monitor is recognized as VGA Monitor (instead of Syncmaster) and has improper resolution choices as well as blueish colors, and becomes unusable.

For now I'll stick to GE=No, but it'll be great to have a fully working system !

Any thoughts ?

Thanks !

You could try using AtiConfig boot flag to specify a different framebuffer.

Hey Guys!

First - Thanks for your excellent work! Your works helped me many time! But now i have a seriously problem, I tried everything, and always fall to reboot-loop...

So I have an Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard. I know, it's no P8P67, but it looks like P8P67Pro. Everything serious things work, BUT when I try repair my audio (ALC892), the Lion always fall to restart-loop.

So... I downloaded your P8P67Pro pack, and I extract the ALC892Temp from it. I copied 3 kext to S/L/E, ran the Kext Utility, and restart. When I hit Enter to my Lion in Chameleon, my system is restarting always... Tried with -v -x, same thing happened...

When I tried with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] -- AppleHDARollback, ALC8xxHDA and Non-DSDT HDA - ALC892 -- same things happened...

Can you advice anything for me?

Thanks a lot!

Gyula

-- Sorry for my English... I'm from Hungary --

Edit: I tried the Terminal Patching method too... Not worked...

Try manually deleting the cache and booting with -f

Failing that are you sure you don;t have a conflicting audio kext installed somewhere?

You could try using AtiConfig boot flag to specify a different framebuffer.

I have already tried some (3 or 4 different), funny things happened with my HDMI display, but no luck so far :hysterical:

When I have some spare time, i'll try all of them !

- Yes mine is showing the card in Graphics / Displays AND PCI Cards + HDMI Audio working

Here's the trick for working System Profiler/PCI-Cards:

DSDT with HDMI audio edits, in Device (GFX0), add:

Name (_SUN, One)

After edit

Device (GFX0)
			{
				Name (_ADR, Zero)
				Name (_SUN, One)
				Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

By the way, installing a DSDT with HDMI audio edits has no effect in a system that is not using HDMI audio (all new Macs include this edit). As well, HDMI audio works OOB on the Sapphire 5770/Vervet, 5870/Uakari & 6870/Duckweed (with the mandatory and correct HDMI audio DSDT edits).

Credit: dhp