[GUIDE] A fast and easy way to install Lion

tseug

607 posts in this topic

I'm getting stuck with this method on my new hackintosh and Lion DP4. I am using:

Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3

Core i7-2600k

8GB Corsair RAM 1600Mhz

Intel HD3000 - just using onboard video for now until I get things stable

I have gotten through the USB installation and succesfully can boot with my HDD by itself. Problem is that I can get to a desktop, but have no Network, No Sound, etc. Worst part being no network.

I have tried using the DSDT from Tonymac's that is specific to this motherboard. I also tried to use the DSDT auto-patcher, but the problem is that without network connection I can't run the auto-patcher since it says that it requires Java.

How can I get the network working on this board? Is it possible that the DSDT that Tonymac has for Snow Leopard doesn't work on Lion? If I have DSDT, do I need additional kexts on top of this? Thanks in advance.

Dave

I'm getting stuck with this method on my new hackintosh and Lion DP4. I am using:

Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3

Core i7-2600k

8GB Corsair RAM 1600Mhz

I have gotten through the USB installation and succesfully can boot with my HDD by itself. Problem is that I can get to a desktop, but have no Network, No Sound, etc. Worst part being no network.

I have tried using the DSDT from Tonymac's that is specific to this motherboard. I also tried to use the DSDT auto-patcher, but the problem is that without network connection I can't run the auto-patcher since it says that it requires Java.

How can I get the network working on this board? Is it possible that the DSDT that Tonymac has for Snow Leopard doesn't work on Lion? If I have DSDT, do I need additional kexts on top of this? Thanks in advance.

Dave

Have you tried Lnx2Mac's ?

Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3

Core i7-2600k

8GB Corsair RAM 1600Mhz

Dave

Forget about the DSDT for now. Does network work on the USB? (ping something in terminal)

Have you tried Lnx2Mac's ?

Already included.

Thanks. I'm afraid that I'll need some help on my terminal commands. Can you tell me what exactly I would need to type to ping the USB?

Dave

Sure. I'll give you a couple of details first...

When you run the mkboot command you're actually installing Lion on your USB drive, albeit in a very limited version.

The USB device does not use a DSDT to boot but it does include the kernel extensions that ought to work with you NIC (realtek 8111E according to the specs of your motherboard)

In order to take the DSDT out of the equation create a fresh mkboot, boot it, and in a terminal write

ping google.com

. If if goes ok the terminal should begin writing out lines starting with "64 bytes...". After a few seconds, press CTRL-C and paste the result here (or take a picture, I guess ;)).

Ok. Tried the ping and still nothing. I noticed on boot-up that it is telling me that the Ethernet chipset is not recognized when it tries to load the realtek kext. See attached image for details. Other ideas?

Also attached my kextstat details for reference.

plist looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

post-414561-1308497226_thumb.jpg

kextstat.rtf

Ok. Tried the ping and still nothing. I noticed on boot-up that it is telling me that the Ethernet chipset is not recognized when it tries to load the realtek kext. See attached image for details. Other ideas?

That screenshot is not from booting the USB, is it?

Do you have a DSDT in Snow Leopard? If so, it should reside in /Extra

If you don't have one, generate one with DSDT patcher and put it in install/Extra/ before you run mkboot. See step 2 in the guide. You're trying to generate the DSDT in Lion which is not in the guide.

...So put in a DSDT and make fresh mkboot. Boot into the USB, run

./finalize /
reboot

The boot into USB again and try ping. If it doesn't work then you're out of luck at this point, but it will probably be addressed by someone later on :(

Just re-did the whole process using known DSDT for my board at install of the mkboot in /install/extra. Still no luck. I think it might be a problem with the Realtek driver and this particular board. I'm going to cross-post over at Lnx2Mac's threads and see if I can get any help there. Thanks.

Dave

Just re-did the whole process using known DSDT for my board at install of the mkboot in /install/extra. Still no luck. I think it might be a problem with the Realtek driver and this particular board. I'm going to cross-post over at Lnx2Mac's threads and see if I can get any help there. Thanks.

Dave

That seems to be the most likely. Make sure to include your screenshot. I'll include the new version when it is available.

Hi tseug, I'm trying out your installer.

When I put the USB stick on my hackintosh I get the following message:

boot0: error

Then when I checked out Chameleon on your scripts ( install/r1003 ) I saw that the package was 0 KB once decompressed, take a look:

Before decompressing:

post-202089-1308513945_thumb.png

After decompressing:

post-202089-1308513983_thumb.png

Maybe it got corrupted before uploading it?

Greetings,

Karina

Maybe it got corrupted before uploading it?

Greetings,

Karina

No, it works fine here. Chameleon installed on a clean USB should be able to boot. If you find one that works for you, let me know.

I replaced the 0 KB install.pkg with a fresh one downloaded ( Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r1020.pkg ) and let your install script do its magic. Now the USB stick boots without problems.

Karina

PS: decompressed with different unarchivers your install.tar.gz and I always got a resulting 0 KB install.pkg for Chameleon. Also the USB stick was formatted like 5 times. Now with a new install.pkg in place it worked without a hitch on first try. :(

I replaced the 0 KB install.pkg with a fresh one downloaded ( Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r1020.pkg ) and let your install script do its magic. Now the USB stick boots without problems.

Karina

PS: decompressed with different unarchivers your install.tar.gz and I always got a resulting 0 KB install.pkg for Chameleon. Also the USB stick was formatted like 5 times. Now with a new install.pkg in place it worked without a hitch on first try. :(

Weird. I dont have this problem when I download it. Does anyone else?

To decompress it you can either double-click it or do tar -zxvf install.tar.gz in a terminal. Note that r1003/Install.pkg is part of Chameleon and you shouldn't touch it to get the script working. In addition it is in actuality a directory, not a compressed file. OS X does some magic to make directories look like applications.

The md5 on install.tar.gz should be: 7c39eead292ab490ae148e6bc0bdaa91

Hi, yes MD5 of install.tar.gz is 7c39eead292ab490ae148e6bc0bdaa91 here too.

As I already said I tried to decompress it with many unarchivers, and all had the same results, the resulting install/r1003/install.pkg is empty as shown with Pacifist when opening it.

When install.pkg is replaced with another Chameleon installer package the post script works for the bootloader installation on the USB stick.

Karina

Hi, yes MD5 of install.tar.gz is 7c39eead292ab490ae148e6bc0bdaa91 here too.

As I already said I tried to decompress it with many unarchivers, and all had the same results, the resulting install/r1003/install.pkg is empty as shown with Pacifist when opening it.

When install.pkg is replaced with another Chameleon installer package the post script works for the bootloader installation on the USB stick.

Karina

So after doubleclicking install.tar.gz, if you do "ls Downloads/install/r1003/Install.pkg/" in a terminal you get what?

Hi tseug:

drwxrwxr-x   4 ro  staff   136B Jun 16 15:37 Install.pkg
-rw-r--r--   1 ro  staff   1.6M Jun 17 14:11 Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r1020.pkg

No size compared to a normal package.

... but what happens inside?

total 0
drwxrwxr-x  7 ro  staff   238B Jun 16 15:37 Contents
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff     0B Jun 16 15:37 Icon

Install.pkg//Contents:
total 96
-rw-rw-r--   1 ro  staff    34K Jun 16 15:37 Archive.bom
-rw-rw-r--   1 ro  staff    80B Jun 16 15:37 Archive.pax.gz
-rw-rw-r--   1 ro  staff   1.4K Jun 16 15:37 Info.plist
-rw-rw-r--   1 ro  staff     8B Jun 16 15:37 PkgInfo
drwxrwxr-x  12 ro  staff   408B Jun 16 15:37 Resources

Install.pkg//Contents/Resources:
total 128
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff    44B Jun 16 15:37 Archive.sizes
drwxrwxr-x  5 ro  staff   170B Jun 16 15:37 Boot
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff    34K Jun 16 15:37 Chameleon 2.0 Installer.bom
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff   294B Jun 16 15:37 Chameleon 2.0 Installer.info
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff    80B Jun 16 15:37 Chameleon 2.0 Installer.pax.gz
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff    44B Jun 16 15:37 Chameleon 2.0 Installer.sizes
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff   485B Jun 16 15:37 Description.plist
drwxrwxr-x  3 ro  staff   102B Jun 16 15:37 Extra
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff    18B Jun 16 15:37 package_version
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ro  staff   1.6K Jun 16 15:37 postflight

Install.pkg//Contents/Resources/Boot:
total 528
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff   253K Jun 16 15:37 boot
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff   512B Jun 16 15:37 boot0
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff   1.0K Jun 16 15:37 boot1h

Install.pkg//Contents/Resources/Extra:
total 0
drwxrwxr-x  3 ro  staff   102B Jun 16 15:37 Themes

Install.pkg//Contents/Resources/Extra/Themes:
total 0
drwxrwxr-x  33 ro  staff   1.1K Jun 16 15:37 Default

Install.pkg//Contents/Resources/Extra/Themes/Default:
total 544
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff   2.9K Jun 16 15:37 background.png
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff   4.6K Jun 16 15:37 boot.png
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ro  staff    24K Jun 16 15:37 device_cdrom.png
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff    16K Jun 16 15:37 device_ext3.png
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ro  staff    24K Jun 16 15:37 device_fat16.png
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff    16K Jun 16 15:37 device_fat32.png
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff    16K Jun 16 15:37 device_generic.png
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff    16K Jun 16 15:37 device_hfsplus.png
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff    16K Jun 16 15:37 device_ntfs.png
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff   3.9K Jun 16 15:37 device_scroll_next.png
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff   4.0K Jun 16 15:37 device_scroll_prev.png
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ro  staff   5.9K Jun 16 15:37 device_selection.png
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff    13K Jun 16 15:37 font_console.png
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ro  staff   8.1K Jun 16 15:37 font_small.png
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ro  staff   2.9K Jun 16 15:37 logo.png
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ro  staff   621B Jun 16 15:37 menu_boot.png
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ro  staff   621B Jun 16 15:37 menu_help.png
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ro  staff   2.8K Jun 16 15:37 menu_ignore_caches.png
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ro  staff   2.8K Jun 16 15:37 menu_ignore_caches_disabled.png
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ro  staff   621B Jun 16 15:37 menu_memory_info.png
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff   3.1K Jun 16 15:37 menu_selection.png
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ro  staff   2.8K Jun 16 15:37 menu_single_user.png
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ro  staff   2.8K Jun 16 15:37 menu_single_user_disabled.png
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ro  staff   2.8K Jun 16 15:37 menu_verbose.png
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ro  staff   2.8K Jun 16 15:37 menu_verbose_disabled.png
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ro  staff   621B Jun 16 15:37 menu_video_info.png
-rw-rw-r--  1 ro  staff   2.7K Jun 16 15:37 progress_bar.png
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ro  staff   2.7K Jun 16 15:37 progress_bar_background.png
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ro  staff   2.9K Jun 16 15:37 text_scroll_next.png
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ro  staff   2.9K Jun 16 15:37 text_scroll_prev.png
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ro  staff   2.6K Jun 16 15:37 theme.plist

The contents are only shown when viewing it as show package contents and not as a package installer.

So maybe that's why it doesn't work here?

Greetings,

Karina

The contents are only shown when viewing it as show package contents and not as a package installer.

...which means it isn't empty.

So maybe that's why it doesn't work here?

I don't know. Since noone else have reported problems I'll leave the version at r1003.

If anyone finds that they can't boot from the USB drive after running mkboot but they can boot after running another version of Chameleon, please let me know.

Hi, I found right now a small problem ... bounjour is not working with included realtek network driver, so that mean no apple renmote working from my iphonw, or rowmote, or bento from ipad comunicating with bento on computer .. any sugestion ?

Hi to all and thanx to everyone for their efforts!!!

First of all I would just like to confirm my installation on using a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Motherboard

These are my spec`s for those who have similar to me if it helps :

MB - EX58-UD5

CPU- i7 930 2.8Ghz

Ram - 6gig Corsair DDR3

GPU - GTX470 ( Gigabyte )

HD - SSD Corsair F120

The first installation I done all worked first go except Ethernet, anyways all went smooth but even after install doing the ./finalize /Volume/Lion I noticed it was booting real slow doing all that Read +Hfs .... so on so on..... so took almost two minutes to boot. After a while I realised that it was booting into safe mode on its own therefor why the slow boot. Now keep in mind I put in my DSDT.aml into the unziped install.tar.gz folder install/extra. For some reason I was getting KP! when booting the USB and was showing something about CPU not recognised and then when it got to the detecting PCI devices... dead end.

After many attempts to get it to boot the way it should I finally found a way! I will try to explain as much as I can or as much as I can remember and the whole install is mixed up but the only way I knew how to get it going considering I don't know much about Kext files and so on. Here we go:

I unzipped the install.tar.gz folder on my desktop of Snow Leopard, I put the Lion.dmg here also and pasted my dsdt.aml here too. For my motherboard as I have noted I had to put my dsdt.aml into the install/extra directory. Next Step: I opened up terminal and typed sudo then hit space bar and then just dragged the Lion.dmg into terminal ..it will leave a space on its own ... and then typed /Volumes/USB\Boot and hit ENTER! So as per the topic the line should look like this:

sudo install/mkboot OS\ X\ Lion\ DP\ 4.dmg /Volumes/USB\ Boot

When the the Lion image is copied onto the USB and all ready I restart my comp and boot the USB let it load and then select Mac OS X Base System it should now load the Lion installation, but! you might and prob will get an error telling you that "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer" well I got it.. so then I done what the moderator "MaLd0nin" the other post suggested " If you have problems in installation with the message "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer", replace the file "OSInstall" in the folder System/Installation/Packages by this...

OSInstall.zip ( 654.04K ) link to page

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729

so once again I had to boot into Leopard and replace the OSInstall.pkg in the Packages folder with the one on his post.

Once again rebooted the USB and this time no error and could continue my install. Now that I got Lion running I had to use a Chameleon package from my Kakewalk 2.2 DVD and run it. Its NOT RC5 I know... but this package installs all the necessary kexts and ethernet and what ever else my motherboard needs and I installed this while in SnowLeopard to my SSD where my Lion OS is installed so make sure you DO choose the right install directory and not install it on your Snow OSX.

Now that I have done this I know it will not boot with the older version of chameleon I think it must and has to be RC5. Now that the package is installed I can now run the Chameleon package r1003 directly which is in the install.tar.gz when unzipped.... I just go into the folder and run r1003 and once again!! Choose the

right install directory! once done you can reboot. This next step I had to remove my USB before hand or just before your computer boots your HDD..

Now with the USB unplugged I reboot... ( make sure your LION drive is selected as first to boot! ) and guess what Vanilla screen up and booting Lion OS X.

No more black screen with the lines READ HFS+ Kexts..... so on....

Lion has installed my GTX470 with all needed full acceleration..I have sound...ethernet... Now I decided to use " Trim Support Enabler " to patch and enable my trim support because Apple must have done something where only a certain HDD gets enabled or because this is not the final version of Lion it might not be allowed to activate this feature..dont know.. now with trim enabled I do a system update which comes up with two updates one a system and other iTunes.. I let it download and then install and reboot again and thats it I have a Lion OS X working and booting much quicker than Snow Leopard. Im glad I can also now install

flash from adobes site!!

I hope I have explained my self good enough for those like me who have a little trouble when it comes to next`s and DSDT`s .. sorry and those with EX58-UD5 boards, but I believe it will work for most EX58-EX58A boards.

Good Luck and thanks to everyone`s knowledge and support here.

Screen1.tiff

Screen2.tiff

Screen3.tiff

screen4.tiff

screen5.tiff

Dave

try with "Official Realtek 2.0.6 driver for 81xx Ethernet controllers" also comes in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.7, but first uninstall lnx2mac.driver.RealtekRTL81xx just go to S/L/E and send it to trash before runing [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], don´t forget to run system utilities too. good luck

try with "Official Realtek 2.0.6 driver for 81xx Ethernet controllers" also comes in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.7, but first uninstall lnx2mac.driver.RealtekRTL81xx just go to S/L/E and send it to trash before runing [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], don´t forget to run system utilities too. good luck

Thanks spd5mx. Can I run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] within Lion and just install the Realtek 2.0.6 driver that way? Wasn't sure if [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] was ok to run within Lion as I hadn't seen any discussion on that and was afraid of screwing up the load by trying.

Dave

Tseug,

I wanted to thank you again for this guide and scripts. I was able to install using your script on a:

intel i5 2400

ga-z68mx-ud2h-b3

16GB

Zotac Zone GT430

Sound and Ethernet did not work, but I was able to go back and install the official Realtek Drivers. I've been trying to get sleep working, but I haven't tried w/ the latest rev of your scripts. I've been using Tonymacx86's DSDT edits. Do you think the DSDT Auto Patcher would make more sense? The sound doesn't work, so I've been commenting those out of the script.

Tseug,

I wanted to thank you again for this guide and scripts. I was able to install using your script on a:

intel i5 2400

ga-z68mx-ud2h-b3

16GB

Zotac Zone GT430

Sound and Ethernet did not work, but I was able to go back and install the official Realtek Drivers. I've been trying to get sleep working, but I haven't tried w/ the latest rev of your scripts. I've been using Tonymacx86's DSDT edits. Do you think the DSDT Auto Patcher would make more sense? The sound doesn't work, so I've been commenting those out of the script.

I used the official driver in this script initially but changed it because of problems with sleep (see changelog) so it's fairly likely that you wont get sleep to work properly. Lnx2mac says he's working on a new version and I'll include it when it's ready.

With regards to DSDT Auto Patcher I don't really have an opinion. I either works or it doesn't ;)

The procedure works flawlessly, thank you very much. Here is my configuration:

MB - Gigabyte GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 (using DSDT from TonyMac's database)

CPU - Core i5-2500K

Mem - 4 Gb

I',m using the integrated Intel Graphics HD 3000 GPU, and it works out of the box, unfortunately I cannot change the screen resolution from 1280x1024x32 to the desired 1920x1080x32. No additionals kext except for the ALC89xxx sound Kext.

Anyone trying the HD 3000 graphics adapter?