What network cards work?

Dartamis

613 posts in this topic

The whole LAN thing's really awkward for me as it means picking up my whole PC along with keyboard and everything and taking it downstairs to where my router is and setting it all up just to download a driver. I'm lumbered with this using my current wifi card (another Broadcom job) and I was hoping to find some mythical wifi card that will work in Windows, Ubuntu and Mac OS OOTB. Sounds like Broadcom will always present a problem with Ubuntu and from what I've googled Atheros cards are problematic in Mac OS. Anyone know of anything else, or even specific Broadcom or Atheros cards I can rely on? Wireless N ones?

Thanks.

broadcom dont work out of box in ubuntu(however broadcom anounced opensource so it might be in newer versions soon).. needs the driver installed thru lan conection.

atheros do, AR5B91 works in snow and ubuntu (with compatwireless driver already included)

in snow it might need tape pin 20 trick. doubt it tho. windows works with driver..

• 1 month later...

Can anyone give me an idea of a good USB Wireless dongle to buy. The criteria that I am interested in are that it is 300Mbps Draft N, works with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and/or 10.7, and I want it to be recognized as an Airport. If not a USB dongle, perhaps a PCI-E card for my desktop. Thanks in advance for the information everyone!!!

• 4 months later...
Has anyone tried using the AftertheMac n300?

http://afterthemac.com/

Does this work with a Hack'a'Mac? Either Snow Leopard or Lion?

thats overpriced

get AR5B91 internal (cheap on ebay.. about 7 dollars usually.. the azurewave works fine)

however some toshibas and hp's seem to not like it. iopcifamilly issues and bios whitelist, FN power function.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...