[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

@FireJam I am familiar with their work (the modded bios) i'll update the guide when i can, thanks for reminding me :)

I'm seriously lacking time for personal projects, maybe the holiday season will be gentle on me so i can have some time to update stuff around here.

@rgbastro, i remember that option working in Lion, kept it active ever since. However, now in Mountain Lion it doesn't seem to affect the trackpad in any way. Try repairing disk permissions using Disk Utility or your preferred application.

Fancy trying something more traditional of a bootloader? :D so far you've tried only the TM shaits it seems, hence the censoring...

The're countless tutorials posted.. why bother posting another one.

Tried the traditional bootloaders per the guides already posted in this thread using purchased SL without success :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/257950-guide-dell-xps-15-l502x-early-2011-snow-leopard-install-possibly-l702x-too/page__st__200#entry1759951

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/257950-guide-dell-xps-15-l502x-early-2011-snow-leopard-install-possibly-l702x-too/#entry1689322

I do have a Dell 15Z L511Z which is different from the L502x (don't know if it would make that of a difference ?} Just wanted to confirm I going in the right direction since some of the guides appear to be superceded by others .

Hi Doix, first thanks for the greate tutorial and tools, it realy helps me to get my hackintosh up and running on my L502x, however I'm stuck to try to disable the GT540M through DSDT, I followed the guide by adding PINI() method in _INI and _WAK, the card can be disabled susesfully, however after the editing, the restart no longer works, is there any other patch I should add to the dsdt to fix the restart issues? Reaaly appreciate for your help.

Doix,

I think you might be interested to know that I had figured out why the XPS13 cypress TP has issues with the cursor jumping around. I found it is due to the ApplePS2Trackpad plugin that is embedded in the ApplePS2Controller. Once I remove it, the issue is gone. It is the same for both Lion and ML. Also I found why TP works when I UseKernelCache=No. For some reason, the ApplePS2Trackpad is not loaded with this flag... I managed to get ML installed on XPS 13 L321x but the AICPUPM does not work and sleep neither. Still have problems with VoodooHDA but seems KernelCache helps reduce the cold boot crashes quite a lot at least...

Hi Doix, first thanks for the greate tutorial and tools, it realy helps me to get my hackintosh up and running on my L502x, however I'm stuck to try to disable the GT540M through DSDT, I followed the guide by adding PINI() method in _INI and _WAK, the card can be disabled susesfully, however after the editing, the restart no longer works, is there any other patch I should add to the dsdt to fix the restart issues? Reaaly appreciate for your help.

Hi Doix, I have solve the restart problem by comparing the dsdt in the installer packet and your old ones found on the web, it took a while as my l502x comes with 2760qm and the dsdt layout is same as the L702x. Thanks again for your great work.

Doix,

I think you might be interested to know that I had figured out why the XPS13 cypress TP has issues with the cursor jumping around. I found it is due to the ApplePS2Trackpad plugin that is embedded in the ApplePS2Controller. Once I remove it, the issue is gone. It is the same for both Lion and ML. Also I found why TP works when I UseKernelCache=No. For some reason, the ApplePS2Trackpad is not loaded with this flag... I managed to get ML installed on XPS 13 L321x but the AICPUPM does not work and sleep neither. Still have problems with VoodooHDA but seems KernelCache helps reduce the cold boot crashes quite a lot at least...

I got sleep to work on XPS 13 (L321x) now. Turns out I need to do drop SSDT to get the power management to work and like for the Lion, I had standby and hibernate disabled though. (Did not turn them on again to check as I can live with sleep only)

• 2 weeks later...

I got sleep to work on XPS 13 (L321x) now. Turns out I need to do drop SSDT to get the power management to work and like for the Lion, I had standby and hibernate disabled though. (Did not turn them on again to check as I can live with sleep only)

Also L322x works now too. I have copied the Extra folder from my working L321x and paste to the OSX USB drive and it boots with -x -v. The remaining is just like what I have done for L321x following Doix's guide. I searched and found the UEFI string for HD4000 and it indeed works!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, especially @Doix XD

I recently installed iAtkos Ml over the existing iAtkos L2, everything works fine except Wireless Card and cpu frequency detection.

One interesting thing I found about sleep/wake is that whenever I boot with "-f" flag, the sleep and wake works perfectly fine, but without "-f", the computer doesn't wake up, it just stucks on the screen for typing passwords. Is there a way to fix that?

My BIOS is modded A12 with OS X sleep fix from some posts above. I used the AppleHDA Wakeup script Doix made.

Any help would be appreciated :D

Thanks for the great tutorial!!

Hi everyone, especially @Doix XD

I recently installed iAtkos Ml over the existing iAtkos L2, everything works fine except Wireless Card and cpu frequency detection.

One interesting thing I found about sleep/wake is that whenever I boot with "-f" flag, the sleep and wake works perfectly fine, but without "-f", the computer doesn't wake up, it just stucks on the screen for typing passwords. Is there a way to fix that?

My BIOS is modded A12 with OS X sleep fix from some posts above. I used the AppleHDA Wakeup script Doix made.

Any help would be appreciated :D

Thanks for the great tutorial!!

Do you have the same problem for iAkos L2?

Do you have the same problem for iAkos L2?

I didn't really know what I was doing when I had L2 installed.. Never got USB2, Webcam, Sleep to work in L2, didn't even dared to try Speedstep XD

So I have no idea..

I didn't really know what I was doing when I had L2 installed.. Never got USB2, Webcam, Sleep to work in L2, didn't even dared to try Speedstep XD

So I have no idea..

I'm not really sure how to slove your problem but I think the sleep issues should related to the speedstep. I have A12 moded bios on my L502x as well, it support native speedstep, so I think there's no need for ssdt stuff. I think you should try to follow Doix guide and start with a fresh install, if you have any problem with his tool to create install usb, you could try use the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but remember to replace the corssponding files if you want to install on a mbr partition. Give it a try and see how it goes.

I'm not really sure how to slove your problem but I think the sleep issues should related to the speedstep. I have A12 moded bios on my L502x as well, it support native speedstep, so I think there's no need for ssdt stuff. I think you should try to follow Doix guide and start with a fresh install, if you have any problem with his tool to create install usb, you could try use the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but remember to replace the corssponding files if you want to install on a mbr partition. Give it a try and see how it goes.

Alright I'll try when I have time, thanks for your help.

Hi @ben.

Have you any problem with Graphic card ? artifact,...

No, except that the brightness doesn't go full at boot, I'm okay with it because I mostly work in my room where it's dark. I can turn off my display and turn it back on to get the full brightness if I want to.

Alright I'll try when I have time, thanks for your help.

No, except that the brightness doesn't go full at boot, I'm okay with it because I mostly work in my room where it's dark. I can turn off my display and turn it back on to get the full brightness if I want to.

Hi ben, before you reintall, just wonder is your speed step works?

Hi, sorry for my bad english,

I have a same laptop in first tutorial. I installed snow leopard exact step by step in first tutorial, but my sound isn't working, it's default muted and i can't change my volume. Please help.

Thank in advance.

I'm positive that my CPU needs an SSDT file because without it, the processor only has 2 states: 8x and 28x

The SSDT file didn't cause the waking from sleep problem either, it still doesn't work without SSDT

Here are my GeekBench scores for anyone that needs a comparison:

32-bit (Score-9564): http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1557782

64-bit (Score-10381): http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1557774

*My processor is i7-2670QM

Hi @ Kgraphic

Can you post the following information?

1. Chameleon plist file in /Extra file

2. Your computer specs, mostly CPU/Display size/ Graphics card

And make sure you installed the correct driver in Doix's package

Just had a bit time for some experimentation before the provincial exams come.

For the sleep/wake issue I had, I just simply disabled the GUI boot and put in boot flag -f. The non-GUI boots unexpectedly faster than the original GUI boot, all the kexts loads in 5 seconds. Now my computer can sleep/wake on A12 BIOS without problems(Still testing, my normal test length is about 2 weeks). Speedstep works perfectly too, now I just have to somehow purchase a DW1510 card for my wireless.

I still have some problems with the screen brightness after boot, hoping to resolve this after my provincials.

Thanks for the great tutorial

Ben

On my vostro only buttons that emit WMI codes are Fn+F4/F5... I see that DSDT from DoiX already has a needed fix implemented -> Name (_UID, "DELLWMI"), but also has some unnecessary changes done to it. AMW0 should always be notified with 0xD0, ie Notify (AMW0, 0xD0), that is how it comes stock .. instead some nasty hack was applied to DSDT to patch all EC queries to return same values as stored in INF2 (like Notify (AMW0, 0xE005) and similar). I assume this has been done to allow for IOWMIFamily to work "as is" .. I have rewritten the kext to take Dell's special case into account.

Can someone revert their DSDT back to stock and please try the kext ? I have included both debug and release versions.

https://dl.dropbox.c...IOWMIFamily.zip

Sorry @ ben for late.

Now I boot ok. but graphic Intel HD 3000 problem (view photo).

My laptop is L502x, Core i7 2670QM, Intel HD 3000(id:8086, Resolution 1366x768) and gt540m optimus, 8G RAM. used A12 bios Dell and Moded bios A12.

I have got problem from Lion 10.7.1 --> ML 10.8.2. I can't fix it.

Can you(or anyone) help me ?Please!!!

8418845065_28a7d859cb_b.jpg