[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

At least he answered you, the people i PM didn't even read their PMs...

There are many people coming on forums only to get infos or access to downloads and when they found what they wished, they never come back again...

I hope I'll get some positive answer, but I don't expect to much :) Even if hope keeps us alive.

Ik kom uit Zinnik, een stad naast Bergen (de stad van ons geliefd Premier, Elio Di Rupo). Dus, ik leer Nederlands op school sinds ik 11ben, maar ik denk niet dat ik vlot Nederlands spreek. Ik spreek, volgens mij, beter Engels dan Nederlands.

Concerning the speed of your WiFi dongle/card, I can't help you. Maybe you'll find some infos on the internet.

About the drivers I gave you and the way to connect to a network, it's all related to the app' I mentioned before and that you would get with the package I uploaded.

It's strange you don't get it, because it's the one I used before. When installed, this should give you an app' (not and Utility) that allows you to connect to a network. It replaces the Airport Utility since the dongle isn't recognized directly by OS X.

Can you, once again post some screenshot of you Applications folder? And when you launch the package, are there some boxes to tick/untick? Didi you tick everything?

If it doesn't work, we can PM to find a solution... If you want, I can sell you my DWA-131 since I don't use it. It cost me €30, so for €20, I can let it go.

Je Nederlands is niet slecht hoor, je zou mijn frans eens moeten lezen ;)

My brain was really afk the past days. I didnt check the app folder and I didnt notice there was a scnd page on the launcher. So I finally found the yellow WiFi icon and yes! It works! Whoohoo!

I dont know if this program also got installed with my driver, but finally I got wireless internet with Lion :D:lol::PB):)

But I am still wondering if there shouldnt be an other way to get WiFi working with an USB dongle what is integrated in Lion.

@Diox:

I dont know any other functions you can include, because I dont use OSX that often at this moment. Because of the lack of internet connection I HAD :) . I shall test and think about something ;)

@ik_ben_mark "

But I am still wondering if there shouldnt be an other way to get WiFi working with an USB dongle what is integrated in Lion." nope... those are third party apps/hardware. It should in theory be possible after modifying some drivers which requires hard work... but it's not worth it. Anyway if apple has some external wifi dongle then that will work with Lion without any specific app.

Funny enough i understood what you guys talked despite my lack of german language (i know it's not german but there are similarities)

I didnt check the app folder and I didnt notice there was a scnd page on the launcher.

Simply open your root partition and drag and drop your Application folder in the right side of your dock (left of the trash can) . Then right click on it and select "Date added" - "Stack" - "Automatic"

post-167221-0-84334700-1333658835_thumb.png

Like this. Now you will instantly notice when a new app was installed.

@ik_ben_Mark

I've got the same wifi dongel as you. You just need the right drivers for it to work. It comes with a seperate utility which lets you connect instead of the airport utility.

I'll have a look and then post you a link (I'm in Window7 atm)

leuk, nog een Nederlander. Ik ben trouwens Marc ;)

edit: this one should do the job:

http://snapthetooknietzogoed.nl/RTL8192CU_MacOS10.7.zip

Yeah that utility was probably already installed with the included driver on the cd. But my brain was a little bit afk last days (upcomming exams are making me brainless ;)) so I didnt notice the scnd page on the launchepad and I didnt look in the application folder.

Kijk das mooi, ik voelde me eerst vrij eenzaam als Nederlander in dit topic. Maar dat valt dus eigenlijk best wel mee :D Toevallig ook uit Brabant Marc?

edit: Nice, were did you find that driver? I only had the drivers included on the cd (10.4, 10.5 and 10.6)

Nop, geen Brabant. Mijn vriendin wel, telt dat ook? :wink2:

The driver comes from the Realtek website. It took me some time to find out that the RTL8192CU and RTL8188CU are the same.

With me it works great, did you already try it?

the older drivers (10.6 etc) don't work. You should delete them first with the included script.

@Doix, thnx! Now I can keep track of what I installed :P

Is there btw any progress on the 525M graphic card? Or ist it pretty sure we will have to do with the Intel 3000?

Stuck with Intel HD3000 until i get the required files/info... people are just not helpful.

Oh, er zijn veel nederlandstalig dus hier :) Geen Franstalig, ben ik de enige? :D

@Ik_ben_mark :

Nice to hear it did the job. And as DoiX said, there's no way to connect with the Airport Utility and the dongle since it's not "native". So you'll have to use the app' Birdibird gave you or the one I did.

If you want the script to uninstall the drivers I gave you yesterday, let me know and I'll post it on Monday, because I'm out for the weekend.

@DoiX :

I give come back to you asap... If somebody on the forum I mentioned is helpful enough and give us/you a hand...

Anyway, it's a good tip to know what app's are installed... I don't use it, but it's definitely good.

See y'all

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT :

Guys, I'll be (maybe) back with some good news after this weekend! I did get an answer from somebody (in fact, 2 members answered me) :

- The first one : He has an i7 first gen (760M if I'm remembering good). I gave him a broken link, so I answered him this morning, he'll try to help me.

- The second one : He has an i7 2720QM (maybe I'm mistaken) but he gets his XPS back in the next few days. As soon as he gets it back, he'l try to dump his SSDT tables...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See you soon for some (great?) news :)

@Birdibird: Nou vooruit dan ;)

The usb wifi is actually working with the driver. But I dont know if this is the DLink driver or my own driver because both are installed. I'll uninstall all drivers and test if the 10.6 is actually working for me. Or the Dlink has the same Realtek chip? Is it bad to install and uninstall drivers often? I know it isn't that good for windows, but OS X should handle this better right?

But I actually had a higher ping yesterday on OS X than I had a few hours before with Windows. I dont know if this could be driver related?

@Doix: There isn't anything I can help you with right? I didn't read everything anymore the last few months but you need SSDT tables from a 3D screen bases XPS? I just have the regular L502x with Full-HD, i7-2630QM and 525M.

@Rockball73: If you could send that uninstall script, that would be great.

Can I just run all the uninstall scripts in random order? Or do I need to do it in opposite order? Or..? Because I installed the following three packages: First the DLink DWA-131 I found on the DLink website. Then my own 10.6 drivers I got from the CD. And last the DWA-131 package Rockball73 gave last page.

edit: I'm wondering about a thing. Can I call it drivers in OSX or does that make me sound like a big fat noob? :D kexts=drivers?

@Birdibird: Nou vooruit dan ;)

The usb wifi is actually working with the driver. But I dont know if this is the DLink driver or my own driver because both are installed. I'll uninstall all drivers and test if the 10.6 is actually working for me. Or the Dlink has the same Realtek chip? Is it bad to install and uninstall drivers often? I know it isn't that good for windows, but OS X should handle this better right?

But I actually had a higher ping yesterday on OS X than I had a few hours before with Windows. I dont know if this could be driver related?

@Doix: There isn't anything I can help you with right? I didn't read everything anymore the last few months but you need SSDT tables from a 3D screen bases XPS? I just have the regular L502x with Full-HD, i7-2630QM and 525M.

@Rockball73: If you could send that uninstall script, that would be great.

Can I just run all the uninstall scripts in random order? Or do I need to do it in opposite order? Or..? Because I installed the following three packages: First the DLink DWA-131 I found on the DLink website. Then my own 10.6 drivers I got from the CD. And last the DWA-131 package Rockball73 gave last page.

edit: I'm wondering about a thing. Can I call it drivers in OSX or does that make me sound like a big fat noob? :D kexts=drivers?

Yes, a driver in Win is a kext in OS X (as far as I understood :) )

I'll try to send it when I come back from work, but I can't promise you it will be done before Monday, cause I go to the Northern Sea for a couple of days as we got a 3-day-long weekend here...

About the uninstall order, I don't think it matters the order you execute it, but maybe it could be better that you execute it LIFU (Last Installed, First Uninstalled). But concerning the package I gave you, it's the same os the one you found on DLink website, but those I gave you are 10.6.x kexts :) I'll send it to you as far as I can.

DoiX would like to get those SSDT tables to see the differences and maybe deactivate the HD3000 (without "breaking" the CPU) to force loading the nVidia one... If I understood what he explained a while back...

So I hope the guys on the "Les Delliens" forum will soon answer me. I'll take my laptop with me during the weekend so that I could be informed of their help.

Ah ofcourse because the optimus is disabled in those 3D right? Only the L702x (and L701x??) have the option for 3D display? I shall ask it on a dutch forum.

So I need to ask the 3D owners to dump their SSDT with AIDA64?

@Rockball73: Thnx if you could do that, but it's not a problem if you can't do it before monday. I finally have a working WiFi connection so I'm a happy person anyway

;)

Just make sure you make full use of the long weekend

:D I can't, need to study 24/7 :(

Ah ofcourse because the optimus is disabled in those 3D right? Only the L702x (and L701x??) have the option for 3D display? I shall ask it on a dutch forum.

So I need to ask the 3D owners to dump their SSDT with AIDA64?

@Rockball73: Thnx if you could do that, but it's not a problem if you can't do it before monday. I finally have a working WiFi connection so I'm a happy person anyway

;)

Just make sure you make full use of the long weekend

:D I can't, need to study 24/7 :(

Blocus right? Wat studeer je?

Wat mij betreft, ik loop een stage in een "fiduciaire" (ik weet niet of je dat in het Ndls zegt) omdat ik in mijn laatste studiejaar in boekhouding ben) en ik moet mijn "studieswerk" (hoe zegt men dat?) schrijven, dus ik zal werken aan zee :)

I think it's avalaible on L502x, but the only people answering are L702x owners :) Yes HD3000 is disabled, so no Optimus, and they have another motherboard too (that's what a guy explained to me). So yes, if you find somebody owning one, he can dump his SSDT tables (once at a time) with AIDA64 and then send it to you so that DoiX could give it a look :)

Anyway Ik_ben_Mark, I wish you success for your studies! Je zal kunnen genieten in een paar weeken :)

Tentamen weken. Werktuigbouwkunde (mechanical engineering) aan de TU/e in Eindhoven. Ik denk dat je bedoeld dat je een scriptie aan het schrijven bent?

Is it easy and logic how they can dump their SSDT tables? Or should I give them a more step-by-step guide? Or is it an option to do it once at a time? Because what Diox said is all I know about that program:

How to dump SSDT's on windows:

1. download AIDA64 -

Downloads | AIDA64

2. right click on the bottom bar > ACPI Tool > Save Table > SSDT (one at a time)

Tentamen weken. Werktuigbouwkunde (mechanical engineering) aan de TU/e in Eindhoven. Ik denk dat je bedoeld dat je een scriptie aan het schrijven bent?

Is it easy and logic how they can dump their SSDT tables? Or should I give them a more step-by-step guide? Or is it an option to do it once at a time? Because what Diox said is all I know about that program:

[/left][/size][/font][/color]

I'll try dat soft dit weekend to see how it exactly works and then tell you more precisely how to do :)

Ah ok :) Ja, ik bedoelde dat. Ik moet een werk maken van ongeveer 150bladen over een bepaalde onderwerp en daarna moet ik het voorstellen. Het onderwerp is : "kritische analyse van een bestuurlijke informatievoorziening" (in het Frans is het : "Analyse critique d'une comptabilité de gestion", ik weet niet als ik heb het goed vertaald)

@Rockball73, great news... looking forward for it.

@ik_ben_mark, unfortunately no... my research and progress to unleashing the beast within is stopped by lack of those 3D SSDT files... since i've exhausted all other means of activating the card... those files remain the final attempt.

@DoiX: is this what you need? (It's the first reaction I got, but I placed it only an hour ago)

http://www.2shared.c.../acpi_ssdt.html

edit: it is only from one SSDT I guess. You need them all per system? Do you also need the name whats behind the @? (Like SSDT @ BAE05D98 in my case for the first one) Or just all the SSDT files?

edit 2: Here you got them all from one system. Do you want more SSDT tables?

http://www.2shared.c.../Van_alles.html

edit 3: This guys full system specs:

210-37713 XPS 702x : 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2670QM processor 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz 1 789,08 789,08 SR

203-12118 N02X7M27EPP 1 SR

230-12436 Display : 17.3in FHD 3D WLED TL (1920X1080) 1080p with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera + 3D Glasses 1 SR

370-15261 Memory : 8192MB (2x4096) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel 1 SR

400-21831 Hard Drive : 750GB Serial ATA (7200RPM) 1 SR

429-15751 Optical Drive : 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software 1 SR

451-11543 Battery : Primary 9-cell 90W/HR LI-ION 1 SR

490-12665 Graphics : 3GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M Graphics Card - 3D Capable 1 SR

555-13613 Wireless : Europe Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 (1x2 b/g/n+ Bluetooth Combo Card) 1 SR

(i just copied all his info in case you needed something ;))

If that's what DoiX needs, you're kinda lucky, and I think I'll be jalous :D

I have posted request for about 1 month on many forums, and the day I get a hope, you get results before me... Haha :D It's great news. Maybe we'll see nVidia graphics soon :) :)

:D

Are they all the same for different 3D systems? Or should I ask for more SSDT files from other systems?

I don't have any idea about it. But, the more we get, the better it is... I'll post the files as soon as they dump it :)

I've analyzed the files... both sets are identical.. meaning they come from the same model. Unfortunately they do not provide the info i need... they are fundamentally different from our l502x models... i'm afraid the SSDTs must be strictly from a l502x 3D system.

@ik_ben_mark, they are available with both, i've seen people around the forums with that model. Also when i bought mine it was available from dell with 3D display.

Anyway, i'm looking for some beta testers for my app. If any of you are interested just PM me.