[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

@maxey - the HOWTO is in the link I posted to tony's forum. EDID override is not a common practice, so I don't think it would have been bundled in any (DoiX or otherwise) release.

@DoiX - that's a real shame. The search for emulated BIOS testing (and modding) goes on...

Ah thanks, i see in Micky1979's thread!

Will give it a try sometime (Looks like some work to do :) )

@ jkbuha : I suppose this EDID override only concerns Full HD screen (1920x1080)?

Well that specific EDID is for FullHD, because it's copied from DoiX's EDID readout. I suppose it might not work for non-fullHD, but I don't know how the LVDS would respond.

If you'd be looking for an EDID for 1366x768 or 1440x900 I suppose pastebin is your friend :)

Well that specific EDID is for FullHD, because it's copied from DoiX's EDID readout. I suppose it might not work for non-fullHD, but I don't know how the LVDS would respond.

If you'd be looking for an EDID for 1366x768 or 1440x900 I suppose pastebin is your friend :)

Ok thanks, but it was only to know if I could test it on my 1366x768 display, since I don't face any issue. I was only curious to test it and see if I get any improvements... :) But thanks anyway...

People.. read the damn threads before giving false hope to others. ACER 4750G doesn't have Intel HD like we do, in other words it has no optimus. and if i'm not mistaken their bios is factory unlocked either way...

Well.. of course they have it, it's part of the CPU :P. I meant that it's not active, i read on some chinese site that the laptop doesn't have optimus to automatically switch between them, you do it manually via bios

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=170&t=38044&start=80 << fifth post. Servile himself explained.

Well.. of course they have it, it's part of the CPU :P. I meant that it's not active, i read on some chinese site that the laptop doesn't have optimus to automatically switch between them, you do it manually via bios http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=170&t=38044&start=80 << fifth post. Servile himself explained.
Oh ok, I didn't understand your post that way :)

Ok, so when they want to change : restart and change in BIOS...

Any news concerning BIOS mods from jkbuha? :)

@maxey - the HOWTO is in the link I posted to tony's forum. EDID override is not a common practice, so I don't think it would have been bundled in any (DoiX or otherwise) release.

@DoiX - that's a real shame. The search for emulated BIOS testing (and modding) goes on...

Hm so I was trying to to the override, now i already failed in locating the Overrides folder in the System/library/Displays folder.

Like Micky1979 said

Go to System/Library/Displays/Overrides, and take a random folder ( only one file in it). Copy on Desktop.

But the only thing i have in there are two .icc files

2eey1ko.png

Another thing I realized (and that is now the huge motivation to try to edit my EDID)

--> Can it be that my system, after several occurring freezes becomes more unreliable and /or slow?

Maybe just imagined though

Edited by maxey

BTW, what are all these exams that people are doing? I don't have any.......

well from my end it's finishing doctorate thesis, i guess from the bios-mods it's second semester on comp engineering.

also besides studies i also have another setback - because (i) there is no recovery method available yet, and (ii) most bios's eeproms only have a limited number of flashes before the process yields faults in programming (iii) there apparently is no way yet of emulating our phoenixdell bios via bochs/vmware/virtualbox, thus since i'm the only one who's really working on this at the moment i need to be extra careful about what (and how) i flash any test code i try out. Otherwise i'll end up with a brick and no way of identifying what went wrong in the process, or any way to recover the bios. So for the time being, it's patiently moving one step at a time.... but progress is being made. If any of you guys on this thread can shed more insight on (i)-(ii)-(iii) i'd really appreciate it.

@DoiX - on another note, now that I've fixed the HD3k freezing by hacking the EDID (strongly recommend anyone to try this out if they have similar issues) my 15z is really whizzing along on Lion. Only issue is that your latest DSDT hangs on shutdown/reboot. Did you have a fix for this, or shall I look into this?

Another thing I realized (and that is now the huge motivation to try to edit my EDID)

--> Can it be that my system, after several occurring freezes becomes more unreliable and /or slow?

Maybe just imagined though

You should have an Overrides folder in S/L/D - are you running Lion?

I don't think the system would become more unreliable with freezing. Unless of course you have to reset/reboot the machine if it freezes continuously - in which case you'd damage the filesystem. This is what happened to me, so once I solved the freezing issue thru EDID I just wiped the system and started installing again to be on the safe side.

You should have an Overrides folder in S/L/D - are you running Lion?

I don't think the system would become more unreliable with freezing. Unless of course you have to reset/reboot the machine if it freezes continuously - in which case you'd damage the filesystem. This is what happened to me, so once I solved the freezing issue thru EDID I just wiped the system and started installing again to be on the safe side.

Yeah i am running Lion. But as you can see in the pic i posted I don't have anything there.

I made all the "hidden files" seeable again using the

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

Command, still nothing

htfgxk.png

Unless of course you have to reset/reboot the machine if it freezes continuously - in which case you'd damage the filesystem. This is what happened to me, so once I solved the freezing issue thru EDID I just wiped the system and started installing again to be on the safe side.

It doesn't freeze continuously and the disk management tells me my volume "seems to be ok" . (Don't know how reliable that answer is though :D)

Edited by maxey

It's just a wild guess but i think me and jkbuha have that folder because we installed SwitchResX or because we connected our laptops to external displays.

And nope, i didn't find a fix. I think it's related to the C-States. If you put your laptop to sleep then wake it and try to restart it will work, i assume a c-state is initialized and stays active. I don't think the fix is related to the DSDT but to the FADT table.. or however its called (chimera/chameleon reports patching it when you boot) it applies the patch to that table.

I looked at the source code, found what gets patched but i don't understand what should i modify to fix it or if it actually is the FADT table and not the SSDT or any other table. In other words, be my guest :P if you find anything or have any theory share it.

As a lecture for anyone interested in hackintoshes i recommend http://revogirl.wordpress.com/ i love the information available there.

• Like 1

Well I found the proper files, just stuck at one point-

In the tutorial micky says

Now, we must open the file you just renamed, with PlistEdit Pro, and we have to change for all as follows:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>DisplayProductID</key>
<integer>13140</integer>
<key>DisplayProductName</key>
<string>Internal LCD</string>
<key>DisplayVendorID</key>
<integer>19619</integer>
<key>IODisplayEDID</key>
<data>
AP///////wBMo1QzAAAAAAASAQOAJhV4CoWVmVdPjyYhUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEB
AQEBHCpATGGEHjAwICUAftcQAAAZAAAADwAAAAAAAAAAAC76BngAAAAA/gBTQU1TVU5H
CiAgICAgAAAA/gAxNzNLVDAxLUswMQogAEs=
</data>
</dict>
</plist>

However my files looks , after having added the "DisplayProductName" like this

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<integer>6125</integer>
<integer>1711</integer>
<key>default-resolution</key>
<data>
AAAEAAAAAwAAS///
</data>
</dict>
</plist>

Should i delete this

<key>default-resolution</key>
<data>
AAAEAAAAAwAAS///
</data>

And replace it with

<data>
AP///////wBMo1QzAAAAAAASAQOAJhV4CoWVmVdPjyYhUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEB
AQEBHCpATGGEHjAwICUAftcQAAAZAAAADwAAAAAAAAAAAC76BngAAAAA/gBTQU1TVU5H
CiAgICAgAAAA/gAxNzNLVDAxLUswMQogAEs=
</data>

The last one is the hex file he is talking about (and of which he says to "copy it on plistedit pro) i guess. Don't know how to generate that hex file out of the terminal though. Googled it, didn't find an answer. Any advice?

Thanks so far for the help!

This is my (modified) EDID:

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<integer>12525</integer>
<string>DellXPS15zWLED</string>
<integer>1711</integer>
<key>IODisplayEDID</key>
<data>
AP///////wAGr+0XAAAAAAAUAQSQIhN4AiE1rVA3qiQRUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEB
AQEBeDeArnA4MkA8MKoAWMEQAAAaeDeArnA4MkA8MKoAWMEQAAAaAAAA/gBLWVlWS4BC
MTU2SFcxAAAAAAAAgQKbAQEAAAIBCiAgAAE=
</data>
</dict>
</plist>

I dont have default-resolution.

This is my (modified) EDID:

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<integer>12525</integer>
<string>DellXPS15zWLED</string>
<integer>1711</integer>
<key>IODisplayEDID</key>
<data>
</data>
</dict>
</plist>

I dont have default-resolution.

ok, but i don't suppose i can just copy that into my file? As Micky said everyone has got to have it for his own screen.

How did you get the

<key>IODisplayEDID</key>
<data>
</data>

?

Actually that EDID is not mine because it didn't work properly, so that one above came from DoiX - if you have a 1920x1080 screen suggest you try it out. If not, google "1366x768" <IODisplayEDID> and work some magic :)

@DoiX - you were right. Restart works fine after sleep. Let me have a look at this and see what I can find.

Actually that EDID is not mine because it didn't work properly, so that one above came from DoiX - if you have a 1920x1080 screen suggest you try it out. If not, google "1366x768" <IODisplayEDID> and work some magic :)

@DoiX - you were right. Restart works fine after sleep. Let me have a look at this and see what I can find.

Well i copied the

<key>IODisplayEDID</key>
<data>
</data>
</dict>
</plist>

So it looked like this

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<integer>6125</integer>
<integer>1711</integer>
<key>IODisplayEDID</key>
<data>
</data>
</dict>
</plist>

into my file , closed plist and then copied the whole "DisplayVendorID-6af" folder (6af being the first of the two color values) to System/Library/Displays/Overrides . I left all the other "DisplayVendorID" Folders also there.

Then i used kext wizard to repair the permissions and the cache and rebooted.

However still got a glitch earlier and my laptop froze too.

Where did i take the wrong turn?

Thanks for your help!

k1b590.png

Edited by maxey

Chimera 1.9 got released, http://tonymacx86.bl...idia-cards.html

None of the changes actually help us. Tho i'm curious to see the source code for the "Added GT540M device id 0x0DF4 to memory detection work around." mine was hacky.

I regret updating to 10.7.3... unstable as hell, random KPs...