[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
2974 replies to this topic

maxey

maxey

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Thanks, with your help and the great support of Rockball73 i managed to install it!
However the

kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios <number>
kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete
kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient: ready

It doesnt show when i boot up with -v . Wrong installation of speedstepper?
Somehow i dont really understand the installation routine of speedstepper. I installed with your package the speedstepper packages which you provided (the 3TS_SSDT.aml.zip and the needed speedstepper file...dont remember the name sorry, i am on my windows os right now for the internet) and then i ran the kext wizard. Then i started the speedstepper speed_stepper_lion_gm.zip

. It shows me a console and says done or something like that and i closed it again. Should i rerun the kext wizard?

Monkeys

Monkeys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
@Doix - Ah I see, I forgot about the binary patching.. Well I did edit the DSDT successfully to inject the codec id and pin configurations, which means that you don't need the ALC 665 kext for audio to work. However it did not fix the 'lag' and it also made the heavy bass issue on the internal speaker worse =( Oh well, it was worth a try I guess..

On that note, could someone who has successfully fixed the 'heavy bass' problem on the internal speaker by removing the 'signal processing' node in the ALC 665 kext. Please post their kext here? I have tried to remove the node using plist edit pro, however it produces an unworking kext?

And is the brightness definitely not possible to be changed? What about the _BCM values in the dsdt? Could they be changed to have an effect on the brightness? Perhaps the max and minimum values can be changed?

@ Maxey - You need to remove the NullCPUPowerManagement kext from SLE, and repair caches with kext wizard.

maxey

maxey

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

@Doix - Ah I see, I forgot about the binary patching.. Well I did edit the DSDT successfully to inject the codec id and pin configurations, which means that you don't need the ALC 665 kext for audio to work. However it did not fix the 'lag' and it also made the heavy bass issue on the internal speaker worse =( Oh well, it was worth a try I guess..

On that note, could someone who has successfully fixed the 'heavy bass' problem on the internal speaker by removing the 'signal processing' node in the ALC 665 kext. Please post their kext here? I have tried to remove the node using plist edit pro, however it produces an unworking kext?

And is the brightness definitely not possible to be changed? What about the _BCM values in the dsdt? Could they be changed to have an effect on the brightness? Perhaps the max and minimum values can be changed?

@ Maxey - You need to remove the NullCPUPowerManagement kext from SLE, and repair caches with kext wizard.

Upgraded to 10.7.2 , reinstalled the package of doix , including the changed files for speedstep,deleted nullcpu ,reran kext wizard.still not showing the desired lines .
Ran geekbench,only having ~ 7900 with the i7-2720qm and 8gb of ram.normal? I did let it run several times

Monkeys

Monkeys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
@ Maxey - Have you got turbo mode enabled in your bios? Also perhaps try the '9 states' SSDT, some people have had issues with the 3 state one. Also check with msrdumper what multipliers are being reached. The line for turbo ratios - number is not always displayed in the console log.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design, beer.
1.The ALC665 kext is a simple injector that injects in applehda pathmaps and reff nodes, you still need it, or you can merge it with AppleHDA it doesn't matter.

2. No, it would mess other functions that call it, i told you.. it's a driver implementation not ACPI one. At least for this laptop model.

Device (PNLF)
        {
            Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))
            Name (_CID, "backlight")
            Name (_UID, 0x0A)
            Name (_STA, 0x0B)
        }

This dictates the kext AppleBacklightDisplay to load for that device.

BRTN should control birghtness but it's not working, a huge chunk of our DSDT isn't being used by OS X because it doesn't fit the drivers...

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Thanks, with your help and the great support of Rockball73 i managed to install it!
However the

It doesnt show when i boot up with -v . Wrong installation of speedstepper?
Somehow i dont really understand the installation routine of speedstepper. I installed with your package the speedstepper packages which you provided (the 3TS_SSDT.aml.zip and the needed speedstepper file...dont remember the name sorry, i am on my windows os right now for the internet) and then i ran the kext wizard. Then i started the speedstepper speed_stepper_lion_gm.zip

. It shows me a console and says done or something like that and i closed it again. Should i rerun the kext wizard?

To have SpeedStepper working :

• Download speedstepper (DoiX gave a link on page 6) ;
  • Extract it on your desktop (easier) ;
  • Open the Terminal and type the following :
sudo DRAG YOUR SPEED_STEPPER_LION_GM FILE HERE System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

NB: Notice you have to put a space after the sudo command and after you dragged your speestepper file in the terminal window.

• Delete the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext file in S/L/E and also the SleepEnabler.kext file (in S/L/E and/or E/E) ;
  • Update cache and repair permissions ;

To test if SpeedStepper is working :

• Open the Terminal ;
  • type the following :
sudo kextload DRAG YOUR MSRDUMPER.KEXT FILE HERE

NB: Notice you have to put a space after the sudo kextloadcommand and after you dragged your MSRDumper file in the terminal window.

• If you see more than 8 and XX values, SpeedStepper is working :)

Monkeys

Monkeys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
@DoiX - Have you read this thread?

http://bbs.pcbeta.co...914788-1-1.html

It's about the l501x and is in Chinese, but there is some good information there, although it is a bit hard to decipher at times.. There is a kext there (ACPIBacklight) which could be helpful with the backlight issue (or it may not as it is slightly different hardware). I tried it on my setup, and it does load properly, but does not allow backlight control, however that could be due to the required DSDT modifications, which I couldn't seem to follow.. Perhaps you can?

There is also some information there about patching the 10.7.2 version of AppleHDA, which could be of some use?

I did manage to extract one very useful piece of information on there. The app 'antipop' stops the 'lag' and also the occasional popping that you get with the modified AppleHDA. it does this by preventing the audio device from sleeping, which is why the lag occurs after it has been idle for some time (over 15 seconds I think). It works well and i haven't noticed any other issues caused by it. Battery life still seems just as good, sleep works, and geekbench scores are just as high :afro:

Try it out here:

https://rapidshare.c...tipop-1.0.2.dmg

Once again, thank you for all of you hard work and continued efforts!

EDIT - Damn, upon further inspection, it would appear that antipop does infact prevent sleep... Such a shame! Perhaps there is some way of forcing OSX to 'ignore' the antipop process, so that it doesn't prevent sleep?

It is much nicer to use, as all sounds occur at the time that they should, rather than after a small delay..

Monkeys

Monkeys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
It appears that the 'lag' in the audio is actually a feature built into mac osx and occurs on real MBP's too. Apparently it was introduced in 10.6 as a power saving feature.. Although the sound card really doesn't use much power when it's idle, so I have no idea why apple would think of doing this..

Apparently replacing the AppleHDA kext with one from 10.5.6 might help to fix the problem? Read here if interested:

http://reviews.cnet....329956-263.html

It would really be great if we could fix this issue, as for me it just makes the whole experience that bit more enjoyable, to have system sounds occur instantly when they should..

calreyru1978

calreyru1978

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Hi!!

CPU: i7-2670QM
GPU: Nvidia GT 540M de 2GB
RAM: 8GB
Monitor: 1366x768

Two weeks old

I have been trying to install following the guide written by Akennedy_4 but I have not made osx work.

I’m going to try if can make it work with it, despite basically is the same.

Post Lion Install:
L502x V6 - autoinstall kext pack (audio,trackpad,battery,cpu temperature detection,DSDT,SSDT,applications, patched AICPUPM, system definitions)

If you have the FHD Display, your screen will be fuzzy and pinkish.. you just have to get pass the set up screen so you can get to the desktop and install(copy to /Extra folder) the proper patch. It is located in the auto installer L502x-Lion_v6 > IMPORTANT!Boot.plist > FOR OTHER SCREENS!. Select it.

If you have the normal HD Display, you can find the right patch in L502x-Lion_v6 > IMPORTANT!Boot.plist > ONLY FOR 1920x1080 SCREENS!.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1) As my screen is 1366x768 I have to choose the IMPORTANT!Boot.plist > ONLY FOR 1920x1080 SCREENS!, have not I?

The kexts in the pack are mandatory to boot without rBoot LE CD/ to be fully functional. Install them with Kext Wizard (also provided) in S/L/E
(but they are autoinstalled by the package v6?)

2) Do I have to install all the tips marked by defoult in v6 Doix Package?? Do I have to choose SpeedStepeer and system definition??
3) Do I have to copy any DSDT in /Extra??
4) Before it osx must reboot itshelf, without rbootle??

Thanks!!

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

@DoiX - Have you read this thread?

http://bbs.pcbeta.co...914788-1-1.html

It's about the l501x and is in Chinese, but there is some good information there, although it is a bit hard to decipher at times.. There is a kext there (ACPIBacklight) which could be helpful with the backlight issue (or it may not as it is slightly different hardware). I tried it on my setup, and it does load properly, but does not allow backlight control, however that could be due to the required DSDT modifications, which I couldn't seem to follow.. Perhaps you can?

There is also some information there about patching the 10.7.2 version of AppleHDA, which could be of some use?

I did manage to extract one very useful piece of information on there. The app 'antipop' stops the 'lag' and also the occasional popping that you get with the modified AppleHDA. it does this by preventing the audio device from sleeping, which is why the lag occurs after it has been idle for some time (over 15 seconds I think). It works well and i haven't noticed any other issues caused by it. Battery life still seems just as good, sleep works, and geekbench scores are just as high :afro:

Try it out here:

https://rapidshare.c...tipop-1.0.2.dmg

Once again, thank you for all of you hard work and continued efforts!

EDIT - Damn, upon further inspection, it would appear that antipop does infact prevent sleep... Such a shame! Perhaps there is some way of forcing OSX to 'ignore' the antipop process, so that it doesn't prevent sleep?

It is much nicer to use, as all sounds occur at the time that they should, rather than after a small delay..

Your focusing on useless stuff (the audio thing) it works fine let it be...

The brightness thing from the chinese forum: that might work for l702x owners, funny enough their DSDT present the methods and functions used by the OP, we, however do not have them.

Also, they appear to NOT have optimus, which fundamentally changes everything related to the display... which again is weird...

Edited by DoiX, 13 February 2012 - 05:19 PM.

Monkeys

Monkeys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
@DoiX - I thought that you of all people would understand that the audio issue is not useless and that focussing energy on small things like this are as much as a challenge for the sake of it than for the overall result =p You should try out antipop for a while, see how nice it is not to have the lag or popping with the audio =)

After all, I think you will admit that hackintoshing is a 'hobby' as well as a useful skill. I personally quite enjoy trying to resolve issues, both my own and others =)

It could just be me, but it sounds like you are getting tired of this hobby, perhaps it's time you gave it a break for a couple of weeks. Give your mind a rest, then you can better tackle the remaining issues =)

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
Seriously, the poping sound is the last of my problems and annoyances. I've had hackintoshes for years and they all had that poping sound, you get use to it... not to mention that if you don't have any app that deploys a sound when your PC powers up/wakes you don't hear that poping sound. And you yourself said it's something present on real macs as well... so seriously, focus on the brightness thing if you want a challenge.

Hackintosh is a hobby, the skills you use to solve problems are not OS dependent. By this i mean that if you learn something here you can apply it on windows or linux, just in diff areas.

I'm not getting tired, i just don't see why you would care so much about the poping sound...

Btw, you can make an applescript that sets the output to headphones when you shutdown/power up the pc, and then set it back to speakers after the sound is initialized.

P.S You've mentioned the xps_alc_665.kext or whatever the name was. Here is an AppleHDA that has the injection embedded in the plist.info. Don't forget to remove the 665.kext.
Attached File  AppleHDA.kext.zip   1.23MB   44 downloads

Edited by DoiX, 13 February 2012 - 10:11 PM.

Monkeys

Monkeys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Well, the popping sound is not actually what annoys me, it is the lag that occurs after the sound card awakes from its idle state, causing a delay between the action and the resulting sound occurring. The popping sound doesn't really bother me.

If you read on the link I provided you will see that it is caused by an introduction to the sound card drivers where the sound card will 'sleep' when not it use. This did not happen with older versions of osx from before 10.5.6. So there must be a way to remove it.

I will try to fix the brightness too, but for me at least, the sound lag is more annoying. That is just my personal opinion and there is no point arguing about that..

I prefer to use a legacy kext or inject the pin configurations via dsdt than to use a fully patched applehda, so the file you posted is not of much use, although I will give it a try just to see anyway =)

calreyru1978

calreyru1978

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
At last I have succedded in installing osx!!! THANKS A LOT!!

The only problem is sleeping, but I'll try to solve by downgrading my bios to a06.

A have a very litlte question.

Is it dangerous (brick) to downgrade Bios?

Is there some how to test if my system is working properly, I mean the speed of the CPU, etc...?

Thanks again!!

iMac2009

iMac2009

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Techstuff, Gaming, Whisky

At last I have succedded in installing osx!!! THANKS A LOT!!

The only problem is sleeping, but I'll try to solve by downgrading my bios to a06.

A have a very litlte question.

Is it dangerous (brick) to downgrade Bios?

Is there some how to test if my system is working properly, I mean the speed of the CPU, etc...?

Thanks again!!

Upgraded and downgrade mine several times. No Problems occured. NEVER abort the progress and you'll be fine.
Only thing, if downgrading, the initiating tool reminds you, that it's going to flash an older version than current installed one. But don't worry - just klick OK.

darren cox

darren cox

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Come on now... let's not all get tetchy about what issue is more 'important' to fix... That's why all the other 'Devs' move on they get fed up of people asking (read demanding in some cases) them to fix something that they only do as a hobby/for personal interest.

Glad to see though it's prompting other people to learn how to fix things themselves - the more the better surely!

Can't say I've noticed the lag/pop myself - just my personal opinion but I'd much rather effort get concentrated on the 540m lol

calreyru1978

calreyru1978

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Thanks again!!

NotMeAgain

NotMeAgain

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Thanks again!!

Geekbench.

If you get a score between 6000-8000, you're good.

I get 7800 btw.

i7 - bloody fast
SSD - bloody fast
8gb Ram, not so fast.

burrows1980

burrows1980

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Geekbench. If you get a score between 6000-8000, you're good. I get 7800 btw. i7 - bloody fast SSD - bloody fast 8gb Ram, not so fast.

Hmmmm I've just ran it on mine and for some reason I only get 5180, I haven't changed anything to my system since I got 10.7.2 working last november..

Although on the results processors are shown as 0 and cores as 4, is this normal?

Im running an i5 and 4gb ram.. SMBios set to MacBookPro8,2

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
You have an i5, he has in i7.

i7 Geekbench score with full powerstates is above 9k. With 3TS SSDT between 7k-8k

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy