[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
2974 replies to this topic

dy57

dy57

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
jkbuha

I'm using voodoohda 274 natively - though you need to use a modified IOAudioFamily (I think). I'll try and get the files over to you later.

That said, I'd rather use the native AppleHDA with patched kext & dsdt - I use the laptop for djaying quite a lot, and sometimes there are sound distortions on high cpu load which i didn't get with applehda. Also the output connectors dont always work so I need to sleep/wake the device which doesnt look great in the middle of a set...

@tw - any patched applehda's for alc269 (with the right semaphores in place for 15z) would be greatly welcomed :)

jkbuha ,

I have same model of Dell ( 15z L511Z ) and have not been able to get ML OSX to install let along boot from the harddrive.

I tried, ######, ######, rboot-le, ###### 3.3 , ###### legacy , etc to no success

Can you help with a short tutorial ? or at least a list of the components ?

I have a purchased copy of ML and the following resources - Lion on Virtual Box and S on a Dell M1530 running. ML on a 15z seems to be elusive.

Thanks in advance!

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 918 posts
Fancy trying something more traditional of a bootloader? :D so far you've tried only the TM shaits it seems, hence the censoring...
The're countless tutorials posted.. why bother posting another one.

t6590

t6590

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
sorry been away awhile but i will wait for your kexts and thanks in advance coz the voodoo i use kp's 3/5 times per boot and sound reduced in fidelity and if i adjust it up with software it crackles .
could i also have your edid file ?
also what kext r u using for usb ..i'm currently using renesas from lion days but it also causes panic might you
have anything more stable for the 15z ?

FireJam

FireJam

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Hello DoiX,

First of all, your work is amazing! I really enjoyed mountain lion on my l502x.
I like doing things with my laptop that others don't, so i found your guide and followed every step of it (with some adjustments)

I also found this modded bios'es for our laptops (l502x): http://forum.noteboo...tages-more.html

It's not my work, but i thought maybe you can expend your guide with it. For example: i see bios'es with this fix

'voltage modded A12 BIOS for gt540m with a nice set of extra options,plus native speedstep and updated CPU microcode,intel vbios update to v2137 and sleep FIX for OSX, handle the new options carefully!'

The sleep fix for OSX is very usefull.

Maybe you did know about this, maybe you didn't. I just wanted you to know.

Maik Verheijen

rgbastro

rgbastro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Doesn't anyone have problem with touchpad -- option 'ignore accidental trackpad input' doesn't work for me -- mouse pointer keeps on jumping around when the base of my thumb is even slightly touching the pad.

The only option for me is to run this command when I want to switch off touchpad (till next reboot).

kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/Plugins/ApplePS2Trackpad.kext

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design, beer.
@FireJam I am familiar with their work (the modded bios) i'll update the guide when i can, thanks for reminding me :)

I'm seriously lacking time for personal projects, maybe the holiday season will be gentle on me so i can have some time to update stuff around here.

@rgbastro, i remember that option working in Lion, kept it active ever since. However, now in Mountain Lion it doesn't seem to affect the trackpad in any way. Try repairing disk permissions using Disk Utility or your preferred application.

rgbastro

rgbastro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
@DoiX -- how repairing disk permissions will help me with touchpad settings ?

dy57

dy57

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Fancy trying something more traditional of a bootloader? :D so far you've tried only the TM shaits it seems, hence the censoring...
The're countless tutorials posted.. why bother posting another one.

Tried the traditional bootloaders per the guides already posted in this thread using purchased SL without success :

http://www.insanelym...00#entry1759951

http://www.insanelym...o/#entry1689322

I do have a Dell 15Z L511Z which is different from the L502x (don't know if it would make that of a difference ?} Just wanted to confirm I going in the right direction since some of the guides appear to be superceded by others .

weihaolin

weihaolin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Doix, first thanks for the greate tutorial and tools, it realy helps me to get my hackintosh up and running on my L502x, however I'm stuck to try to disable the GT540M through DSDT, I followed the guide by adding PINI() method in _INI and _WAK, the card can be disabled susesfully, however after the editing, the restart no longer works, is there any other patch I should add to the dsdt to fix the restart issues? Reaaly appreciate for your help.

is44c

is44c

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Doix,

I think you might be interested to know that I had figured out why the XPS13 cypress TP has issues with the cursor jumping around. I found it is due to the ApplePS2Trackpad plugin that is embedded in the ApplePS2Controller. Once I remove it, the issue is gone. It is the same for both Lion and ML. Also I found why TP works when I UseKernelCache=No. For some reason, the ApplePS2Trackpad is not loaded with this flag... I managed to get ML installed on XPS 13 L321x but the AICPUPM does not work and sleep neither. Still have problems with VoodooHDA but seems KernelCache helps reduce the cold boot crashes quite a lot at least...

weihaolin

weihaolin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi Doix, first thanks for the greate tutorial and tools, it realy helps me to get my hackintosh up and running on my L502x, however I'm stuck to try to disable the GT540M through DSDT, I followed the guide by adding PINI() method in _INI and _WAK, the card can be disabled susesfully, however after the editing, the restart no longer works, is there any other patch I should add to the dsdt to fix the restart issues? Reaaly appreciate for your help.

Hi Doix, I have solve the restart problem by comparing the dsdt in the installer packet and your old ones found on the web, it took a while as my l502x comes with 2760qm and the dsdt layout is same as the L702x. Thanks again for your great work.

is44c

is44c

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Doix,

I think you might be interested to know that I had figured out why the XPS13 cypress TP has issues with the cursor jumping around. I found it is due to the ApplePS2Trackpad plugin that is embedded in the ApplePS2Controller. Once I remove it, the issue is gone. It is the same for both Lion and ML. Also I found why TP works when I UseKernelCache=No. For some reason, the ApplePS2Trackpad is not loaded with this flag... I managed to get ML installed on XPS 13 L321x but the AICPUPM does not work and sleep neither. Still have problems with VoodooHDA but seems KernelCache helps reduce the cold boot crashes quite a lot at least...

I got sleep to work on XPS 13 (L321x) now. Turns out I need to do drop SSDT to get the power management to work and like for the Lion, I had standby and hibernate disabled though. (Did not turn them on again to check as I can live with sleep only)

is44c

is44c

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

I got sleep to work on XPS 13 (L321x) now. Turns out I need to do drop SSDT to get the power management to work and like for the Lion, I had standby and hibernate disabled though. (Did not turn them on again to check as I can live with sleep only)

Also L322x works now too. I have copied the Extra folder from my working L321x and paste to the OSX USB drive and it boots with -x -v. The remaining is just like what I have done for L321x following Doix's guide. I searched and found the UEFI string for HD4000 and it indeed works!

ben

ben

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Hi everyone, especially @Doix XD

I recently installed iAtkos Ml over the existing iAtkos L2, everything works fine except Wireless Card and cpu frequency detection.

One interesting thing I found about sleep/wake is that whenever I boot with "-f" flag, the sleep and wake works perfectly fine, but without "-f", the computer doesn't wake up, it just stucks on the screen for typing passwords. Is there a way to fix that?

My BIOS is modded A12 with OS X sleep fix from some posts above. I used the AppleHDA Wakeup script Doix made.

Any help would be appreciated :D

Thanks for the great tutorial!!

weihaolin

weihaolin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi everyone, especially @Doix XD

I recently installed iAtkos Ml over the existing iAtkos L2, everything works fine except Wireless Card and cpu frequency detection.

One interesting thing I found about sleep/wake is that whenever I boot with "-f" flag, the sleep and wake works perfectly fine, but without "-f", the computer doesn't wake up, it just stucks on the screen for typing passwords. Is there a way to fix that?

My BIOS is modded A12 with OS X sleep fix from some posts above. I used the AppleHDA Wakeup script Doix made.

Any help would be appreciated :D

Thanks for the great tutorial!!

Do you have the same problem for iAkos L2?

ben

ben

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Do you have the same problem for iAkos L2?

I didn't really know what I was doing when I had L2 installed.. Never got USB2, Webcam, Sleep to work in L2, didn't even dared to try Speedstep XD
So I have no idea..

weihaolin

weihaolin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I didn't really know what I was doing when I had L2 installed.. Never got USB2, Webcam, Sleep to work in L2, didn't even dared to try Speedstep XD
So I have no idea..

I'm not really sure how to slove your problem but I think the sleep issues should related to the speedstep. I have A12 moded bios on my L502x as well, it support native speedstep, so I think there's no need for ssdt stuff. I think you should try to follow Doix guide and start with a fresh install, if you have any problem with his tool to create install usb, you could try use the ##### but remember to replace the corssponding files if you want to install on a mbr partition. Give it a try and see how it goes.

Kgraphic

Kgraphic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi @ben.

Have you any problem with Graphic card ? artifact,...

ben

ben

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

I'm not really sure how to slove your problem but I think the sleep issues should related to the speedstep. I have A12 moded bios on my L502x as well, it support native speedstep, so I think there's no need for ssdt stuff. I think you should try to follow Doix guide and start with a fresh install, if you have any problem with his tool to create install usb, you could try use the ##### but remember to replace the corssponding files if you want to install on a mbr partition. Give it a try and see how it goes.

Alright I'll try when I have time, thanks for your help.

Hi @ben.

Have you any problem with Graphic card ? artifact,...

No, except that the brightness doesn't go full at boot, I'm okay with it because I mostly work in my room where it's dark. I can turn off my display and turn it back on to get the full brightness if I want to.

weihaolin

weihaolin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Alright I'll try when I have time, thanks for your help.

No, except that the brightness doesn't go full at boot, I'm okay with it because I mostly work in my room where it's dark. I can turn off my display and turn it back on to get the full brightness if I want to.

Hi ben, before you reintall, just wonder is your speed step works?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy