[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

@ One9092002, i only updated from 10.7.1 to 10.7.2 but i can only assume its the same, download the combo update from apple, install it, DO NOT reset. Use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] lion edition (easiest method) and install FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement (if you have patched AppleCPUPowerManagement i recommend patching it after you get it working normally), extension migration assistant and then use kext utility/kext wizard to repair permission. Now restart.

@DoiX,

We'll I'm banging my head against the wall with this. I'm running 10.7.2 with Speedstepper and get a geek bench score or 9700. I can install the VoodooHDA2.7.3 audio kext and put up with hiss when I boot, but trying to get your audio solution working is turning out to be a task.

I can move/install most of your kexts to S/L/E except for the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleHDA.kext. these two files just come back with 'files have been installed incorrectly'? States it could be a locked file, but its not? I've tried using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]'s Migration Assistant, Kext Wizard, Kext Helper and Kext Beast, then repair permissions with Kext Utility 64bit, but still not installing correctly? Might have to look up on how to do it in Terminal as I haven't done that for a while. I can install the 10.6.2 AppleHDA rollback kext from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] instead of your AppleHDA.kext into S/L/E but I'm still left with AppleACPIPlatform.kext in Extra/Extensions all by itself and I still don't get any ALC665 audio working??? Does this sound right to you or do you have any ideas where I can go from here?

Hmm, i guess you can try booting in safe mode maybe you have more freedom then. I have to go now, i'll think about this and post later.

OK, i'm back now :unsure:

@dominusdj, multibooting is easy when you got only MBR.

1. Install OS X on MBR Partitioned HDD

2. Install Windows

2.a Now, after installing Windows, your laptop will boot automatically into it.

3. Burn rBoot LE (Lion) [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Legacy (Snow Leopard)

and boot off it intro OS X.

4. Now you must re-install your bootloader (chimera) and voila, you got Windows and OS X working on the same drive :angel:

@bastisk8 A picture or a transcript of the Kernel Panic screen would be great, i need to know whats causing this. I'm planning on making a L502x Only boot CD so more info will be valued.

@Kirky Try using terminal or booting with -v -s and use the commands there. or boot with -x maybe that will allow you to move those files. Or build the kext cache manually (kext wizard has that option (installation > drag all kexts from /E/ and /S/L/E into it, and check extensions.mkext on desktop) when its done, move it in the proper kextcache location (/S/L/caches or something) repair permission manually with terminal, and reboot with UseKernelCache=Yes

@bastisk8 A picture or a transcript of the Kernel Panic screen would be great, i need to know whats causing this. I'm planning on making a L502x Only boot CD so more info will be valued.

Your help is highly appreciated and a dedicated Lion DVD for the XPS l502x would be absolutely fantastic!

I hope the attached picture helps.

Also, when booting with my miniDisplayport>DVI adapter, the iAtkos DVD immediately freezes when pressing anything on the keyboard.

post-471504-1319042601_thumb.jpg

Don't use the mini display cable until you have Lion installed and working, as for the picture no KP there, only SAM Error which means you prolly burned the dvd at hight speed. Burn it again wtih 4x.

Thanks a lot DioX, now the boot of OSX start!!!

I can not enter in lion because command:-v GraphicsEnabler busratio = No = 20 does not enter. The last written on the screen is : Transcript Offline - Buffer Pool Allocate [181000] failed

this is the photo

Thanks a lot

I'm almost done, I can not stop now! :thanks_speechbubble:

post-315144-1319053322_thumb.jpg

Well theres always the all mighty rBoot LE from tonymac ;) boot with it using the previously mentioned flags. The reason it's not booting on its own now is because you prolly forgot to check something at customization or one of the kexts is not compatible with your laptop (maybe latest revision?)

the laptop is l502x , is the same as the guide, the only differences are that mounts 8gb, GT 520 graphics card and processor 2820qm. I don't know the revision but the kext that i install are like a guide.

Probably it's new relase, but what is the differences ?How I should install to different from the tutorial of lion?

I do not know, i'm demoralized :wacko:

can you tell me which kexts i should install?

Sorry for my bad english

the laptop is l502x , is the same as the guide, the only differences are that mounts 8gb, GT 520 graphics card and processor 2820qm. I don't know the revision but the kext that i install are like a guide.

Probably it's new relase, but what is the differences ?How I should install to different from the tutorial of lion?

I do not know, i'm demoralized :(

can you tell me which kexts i should install?

Sorry for my bad english

The busratio for the 2820qm is 23 (from here: http://ark.intel.com/products/52227) so try "busratio=23"

Also, according to the OP you should do the installation with 4gb of ram first.

Try that.

Just tried installing Lion today on my L502x, here's the results.

Booted and installed from iAtkos L1. No problems other than 1024x768 resolution, but KB/M worked fine.

Booting from HD (-v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=23) stalls after

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::startForReal - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
Transcript Offline - Buffer Pool Allocate [181000] failed

A line above says the DSMOS has arrived, if that helps.

When booting from rBoot LE, same flags, it prints out the same lines as above but continues to the first-run GUI. Once there, though, it can't detect the keyboard. Native resolution, 1366x768.

My XPS 15 stop whith the same line: "Transcript Offline - Buffer Pool Allocate [181000] failed"...

We expect DoiX ... :(

I faced this issue before, this problem relates to intel HD3000 graphics

my hd3000 dev id is 0116, what I did to fix this problem is by downloading and installing DSDT.aml from the first post at http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28851

but to install this you have to boot into osx first, try booting with -x (it worked for me last time, and maybe with GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=20). after you've sucessfully booted, install the DSDT file (run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], choose install userdsdt and macbookpro8,1 in customizations>system def.), after that try to boot normally (without -x)

hope that helps.

Just tried installing Lion today on my L502x, here's the results.

Booted and installed from iAtkos L1. No problems other than 1024x768 resolution, but KB/M worked fine.

Booting from HD (-v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=23) stalls after

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::startForReal - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
Transcript Offline - Buffer Pool Allocate [181000] failed

A line above says the DSMOS has arrived, if that helps.

When booting from rBoot LE, same flags, it prints out the same lines as above but continues to the first-run GUI. Once there, though, it can't detect the keyboard. Native resolution, 1366x768.

plug usb keyboard just for the first run, after that you dont need it anymore.

Thanks rndlgna, -x helped get to the first run screen from HD boot, I'll report back to you all when I get an external keyboard to use.

As a general question, is there any reason a PS/2 keyboard, connected through a PS/2 to USB converter, wouldn't work? I have an old PS/2 keyboard lying around and it'd be much cheaper for me to just get a converter :blink: