Stay away from Paragon HFS+ 9 for Windows!

41 posts in this topic

I jumped off the cliff also... Paragon HFS+ v10.5 seems to work fine so far. I did disconnect my OS X drives before the install and then tested with my extra HD (El Capitan atm), before moving on and re-attache my  10.10 and 10.8 HD's.

post-238467-0-36170400-1441058355_thumb.png

Guys, I really suggests you, with my heart in my hand, to make a backup of your important data, cause this software, could really mess up all your stuff!!!!

Then, after this last suggestion, I hope not to read your messages if you got on trouble...

Again, good luck!

P.s.

maybe you are still on time to uninstall.

• 2 weeks later...

Never again! Installed Paragon HFS+ for Windows and broke my OS-X 10.10 installation after a couple of boots. Booting in verbose mode tells me "Invalid volume file count" and after three tries to repair the volume, OSX surrenders, telling me the volume can not be repaired.

I will try DiskWarrior now and i really suggest not to use this software, at least on the windows side.

I have destroyed my mac installs more than once with the paragon hfs+ drivers - I am not installing that stuff again!

I am using now exFAT partitions to exchange  data from my mac and windows installs. exFAT can be read natively by both systems.

I'm gonna quote myself and suggest again to use exFAT partitions for the data exchange between windows and mac installs.

partition/hard drive 1: Mac OSX

partition/hard drive 2: windows

partition/hard drive 3-N: exFAT for data

Stay away from those tools that will eventually destroy your installs.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I installed 'Paragon HFS+ For Windows 10' by mistake last night, even after seeing this warning several years ago. I was optimistic that with the newest version and Windows 10 that there may not be problems, however I decided to uninstall the software to be on the safe side. EXCEPT, there is NO safe side with this software. I have just spent the last 8 hours repairing and recovering 2 of 4 Mac volumes. Disk Warrior was not able to recover the second (HDD) volume, and is still unreadable on the Mac side, but my SSD was saved by Disk Warrior and Disk Utility combined, but now I'm back to fixing the Boot 0 error at startup on my Crucial drive, and accessing and backing up my dead Mac HD volume through Windows using the 'read only' Bootcamp Drivers (as explained below).

I concur with this thread, and posit:  **STAY AWAY FROM ALL PRODUCTS THAT ALLOW HFS+ WRITE ACCESS FROM WINDOWS**. Even MacDrive has damaged my Mac volumes in the past when it has asked to repair problems under Windows. Don't do it, and don't support these guys, no matter what. I've seen one harmless virus some 25 years ago on a Mac, and Paragon is worse than any virus I have ever experienced even on a PC. This thread goes back to 2011, and if they haven't fixed it by now, it's not going to be fixed. They're breaking the rules...

The only solution is to use Bootcamp drivers, whether you are on a Hackintosh or a genuine Macintosh. Risking a BSOD is nothing compared to what these programs can do to your Mac drives and data. At the very least they should give you the option to turn off the Write function, or disable it by default for safety, but you will never need to write from a NTFS to HFS+ or vice versa, they are not meant to be compatible... PERIOD. (Actually writing Mac HFS+ to NTFS is possible through software, as well,  but much safer.)

The following is my best solution from more than 25 years experience, (and I am a former Apple tech from the early days...):  Do Not install Bootcamp, unless you are on a real Mac!. One solution I see a lot of, is to force install Bootcamp, in order to have read-only capability on HFS+ under Windows. Yes, this works, I've done it, but you don't need all the drivers that come with Bootcamp, in fact on a non-Mac, you will have problems if you don't immediately uninstall the majority of those drivers, especially the NVIDIA ones, and Apple Software support will keep updating as if it is a real Mac, (it doesn't know the difference) and at some point it will fail.

There are only two .sys files that make Mac volumes readable under Windows, and it's the only thing that Bootcamp installs that gives access to the Mac volumes, and they are: 'appleHFS.sys' and 'appleMNT.sys.  Google "Apple HFS Read Only Driver v4.0.2.0" and you will find them here, along with the add/remove scripts for the registry. Follow the instructions Install them in c:/windows/system32/drivers/ run the reg script, and restart. You will have read-only access, of your drives after rebooting.

The most current version I could find were also available as  V5.1.5640, which are supposed to work with Windows 10, but are prone to the BSOD symptoms, but seemingly, only while transferring lots of  files. I ran v3 Bootcamp HFS+ drivers for years with Windows 7 without a single BSOD, so I think I can safely say that v5 is not reliable at all by comparison. And even this method is not a permanent solution as there is no update for these drivers, except through Bootcamp. If you happen to install the entire Bootcamp software, and get updates, you will still have to uninstall unneeded drivers, each time if you are using it on a non-Mac machine. The only plus of having Bootcamp on a non-Apple machine, is to have full function of the Apple bluetooth keyboard, otherwise a USB Apple keyboard works from Win drivers alone. (In the case of hackintosh machines, using an Apple bluetooth card, the bootcamp drivers can cause a conflict with windows drivers, causing intermittent loss of keyboard function, which is a real pain...

I was at one one point going to endorse MacDrive as the lesser of two evils, but now I have to say, they have both cost me more money and time fixing their damage, than their software is worth.  

Hope this helps end the debate over this "virus" once and for all.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just made the 2 quiz to say: STAY AWAY FROM THIS Paragon SW.

Fresh Windows 10.
The mounted HFS+ worked about a month. The i got  R/W errors and a bluescreen. The partition couldnt be mounted anymore.
In OSX it couldnt be repaired.
Many folder were empty.

I tried several tools to get my projects back. Disk Drill software worked.

I made the experience now. So please anyone, stay away from this!

greets

• 1 month later...

I can confirm that the v14 (latest version) still causes issues, unfortunatly i didnt do my research before installing it and probably ruined my OSX drive.

Booting in single user mode and using fsck -fy doesent really fix the issue, it says the drive cant be fixed. Will try Disk Utulity at boot level... fingers crossed.

Stay away from Paragons stuff on hackingtosh.

I find it a bit odd that ive always used Paragons stuff for years on my real macs and never had a problem, only have issues in my Hackintosh.

I just use Transmac & that way one is safe.

Obviously HCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved\{EC9A42F3-9C3B-43F6-2146-56423C993933} is really handy...

• 3 months later...

Now that the anniversary update for Windows 10 has broken the Apple bootcamp drivers I've had another look at the Paragon offerings. There's a registry key to enable read-only mode and coupled with the free HFS+ version for Windows 8 I have my Mac drive back in Windows 10.

If you still have the bootcamp drivers installed, remove them. Then grab the free HFS+ driver from here. Save the following out to a file called readonly.reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Hfsplus\Parameters]
"RO"=""

Install the driver and when prompted to reboot, double-click the reg file before rebooting.

Now after you reboot, the Paragon HFS+ driver will be active, but in read-only mode.