1465 replies to this topic

lacoste111

lacoste111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

No idea, it should work.

Did you replace the "boot" file by a recent one? (RC5 r759 or newer)

i did installed package from OP and after that that my grub failed to load than i updated grub using boot cd now i m again in SL but lion disk simply restart, when i choose it in grub menu

jr2008

jr2008

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

This method doesn't use #####.

How far do you get? Are you still stuck at deleting the packages link?

What the link to packages and is ok. The problem now is that it recognizes the stick as if it were not boot.

Sorry, sorry for my English.

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,836 posts

i did installed package from OP and after that that my grub failed to load than i updated grub using boot cd now i m again in SL but lion disk simply restart, when i choose it in grub menu

The installer writes boot0 to MBR, don't use it, just replace the "boot" file, you can download binaries from this topic (r807)
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=231075

Put the "boot" file in the partition you set root in GRUB, replacing the RC3 one
menuentry "Mac OS X Chameleon" {
		 insmod hfsplus
		 set root=(hd0,X)
		 multiboot /boot
}

Hacki-Hacki

Hacki-Hacki

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Use GraphicsEnabler=Yes in boot.plist

send me your DSDT

mate i m not able to boot with gtx460...... is there is any solution and also that how can get my dsdt??

sorry for the noob ques:D

lacoste111

lacoste111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

The installer writes boot0 to MBR, don't use it, just replace the "boot" file, you can download binaries from this topic (r807)
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=231075

Put the "boot" file in the partition you set root in GRUB, replacing the RC3 one

insmod hfsplus
		 set root=(hd0,X)
		 multiboot /boot
}

as i said
actually i already used installer and later realized it screwed ubuntu,so than i booted into ubuntu live cd and reinstalled grub2
than i booted into my ubuntu partition and updated grub

and everything was back to normal but

i can't boot into lion partition it just restart when i choose it in grub menu,

i don't think i have to still replace boot file as installer would hv done that no?

i didn't understand this one ,can you please explain a little ---

insmod hfsplus
		 set root=(hd0,X)
		 multiboot /boot
}
isn't the root part ion for grub is its own root directory?

also what is the kernel flag if i wants to boot in 32bit mode in this package,using usb ,i want to check if it still allow to boot in 32 bit mode.thx , and sorry for noob questions

your patients is apreciated

mate i m not able to boot with gtx460...... is there is any solution and also that how can get my dsdt??

sorry for the noob ques:D

for dsdt==http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235523

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,836 posts

i can't boot into lion partition it just restart when i choose it in grub menu,

i don't think i have to still replace boot file as installer would hv done that no?

i didn't understand this one ,can you please explain a little ---

isn't the root part ion for grub is its own root directory?

It depends on which partition you chose as destination in the installer. If you chose the Lion partition and the Chamelon entry in GRUB points to the boot file in Snow Leopard partition, it will use the old RC3 boot instead of the new one. You have to replace the boot file in Snow Leopard partition or add a new GRUB entry pointing to the boot file in Lion partition.

If you are sure GRUB is loading RC5 boot and Lion still doesn't work, then there's some other problem.

also what is the kernel flag if i wants to boot in 32bit mode in this package,using usb ,i want to check if it still allow to boot in 32 bit mode.thx , and sorry for noob questions

I'm not sure if "arch=i386" in kernel flags still works or if you need to add
<key>arch</key>
	<string>i386</string>

lacoste111

lacoste111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

It depends on which partition you chose as destination in the installer. If you chose the Lion partition and the Chamelon entry in GRUB points to the boot file in Snow Leopard partition, it will use the old RC3 boot instead of the new one. You have to replace the boot file in Snow Leopard partition or add a new GRUB entry pointing to the boot file in Lion partition.

If you are sure GRUB is loading RC5 boot and Lion still doesn't work, then there's some other problem.

I'm not sure if "arch=i386" in kernel flags still works or if you need to add

<key>arch</key>
	<string>i386</string>

WELL i chose lion partion in installer ,after that i updated grub than it started to show extra option in grub menu so i m pretty sure it is using rc5.

other than that my lion installation is ccc copy of lion installation that i made using ##### boot loader on usb ,you think it could make any difference to chameleon failing?

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,836 posts

WELL i chose lion partion in installer ,after that i updated grub than it started to show extra option in grub menu so i m pretty sure it is using rc5.

That option added automatically by update-grub won't work, it will try to boot Mac OS kernel directly, not using Chameleon. You have to add an extra entry in /etc/grub.d/40_custom like the one in post #63, where X in (hd0,X) is the Lion partition, then run update-grub again.

other than that my lion installation is ccc copy of lion installation that i made using iboot boot loader on usb ,you think it could make any difference to chameleon failing?

I don't think so, I did the same and it works.

iWire

iWire

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

What the link to packages and is ok. The problem now is that it recognizes the stick as if it were not boot.

Sorry, sorry for my English.

What is your motherboard?

Are you stuck at BIOS POST?

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,836 posts

The problem now is that it recognizes the stick as if it were not boot.

Did you click on "Change Install Location" in the Chameleon installer? You have to select the USB stick as destination, or it will install to your running system.

jr2008

jr2008

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Did you click on "Change Install Location" in the Chameleon installer? You have to select the USB stick as destination, or it will install to your running system.

Yes, everything. The problem is that, when installed, does not recognize the partition.

lacoste111

lacoste111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

That option added automatically by update-grub won't work, it will try to boot Mac OS kernel directly, not using Chameleon. You have to add an extra entry in /etc/grub.d/40_custom like the one in post #63, where X in (hd0,X) is the Lion partition, then run update-grub again.

I don't think so, I did the same and it works.

i did as you said booting lion perfect from grub menu and in 32bit mode with apple plist file.

but just for GK, why my SL works direct from grub menu and lion wont although they are both added automatically to grub menu?

also i had hard time editing 40_custom file it require root preveleges, how can i do that next time easily from text editor, as of now it does not edit anuthing in grub.d folder, i hv to move file to desktop than edit and than paste it back using terminal.

thx for time and info.

P.S: :P you are genious :)

Blah101

Blah101

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Can I do this if I already have a working Snow Leopard setup with chameleon on another drive? I was going to try and install Lion on a spare hard drive I have.

Hacki-Hacki

Hacki-Hacki

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

for dsdt==http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235523

mate i was able to boot via hard drive insalling chameleon and extra lion but i m not able to see graphics working ... what to do....

MaLd0n

MaLd0n

...filling veins with juice of chaos...

• Moderators
  • 11,137 posts

Can I do this if I already have a working Snow Leopard setup with chameleon on another drive? I was going to try and install Lion on a spare hard drive I have.

Yep

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,836 posts

but just for GK, why my SL works direct from grub menu and lion wont although they are both added automatically to grub menu?

Because GRUB still can't boot Lion, so you need to use Chameleon. It's news to me that GRUB can boot SL directly, with the version I'm using (the one that comes with Ubuntu 11.04) it doesn't work with SL, just with Leopard. I have to use Chameleon for SL too.

also i had hard time editing 40_custom file it require root preveleges, how can i do that next time easily from text editor, as of now it does not edit anuthing in grub.d folder, i hv to move file to desktop than edit and than paste it back using terminal.

sudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom

Blah101

Blah101

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Ok so far I have setup my flash drive, however my computer won't get past the post screen when I have my USB stick in. My specs are in my signature, what might be the cause for this?

lacoste111

lacoste111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Because GRUB still can't boot Lion, so you need to use Chameleon. It's news to me that GRUB can boot SL directly, with the version I'm using (the one that comes with Ubuntu 11.04) it doesn't work with SL, just with Leopard. I have to use Chameleon for SL too.

take look at this even here no specific step is mentioned to load SL from grub menu--http://bigfloppydonk...-os-x-snow.html

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,836 posts

take look at this even here no specific step is mentioned to load SL from grub menu--http://bigfloppydonk...-os-x-snow.html

Maybe it doesn't work for me because I use pure MBR and didn't run gptsync, I don't know.

Blah101

Blah101

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Ok so I found out I can't get past post screen with my GTX 460. If I switch to my 9800 GT to boot, install lion and get everything working ( or as best I can ), can I then switch the graphics cards out or will I have a problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy