What is the best Classic version?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: What is the best MacOS Classic version? (121 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the best MacOS Classic version?

1. System 1 (2 votes [1.65%])

Percentage of vote: 1.65%

2. System 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. System 3 (0 votes [0.00%])

4. System 4 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. System 5 (1 votes [0.83%])

Percentage of vote: 0.83%

6. System 6 (5 votes [4.13%])

Percentage of vote: 4.13%

7. System 7 (25 votes [20.66%])

Percentage of vote: 20.66%

8. Mac OS 8 (37 votes [30.58%])

Percentage of vote: 30.58%

9. Mac OS 9 (51 votes [42.15%])

Percentage of vote: 42.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

bwhsh8r

bwhsh8r

InsanelyMac Deity

• Gurus
  • 2,085 posts

Mac OS 8.6, I like it alot, even if only in emulation. I do like OS9's software update feature, wish it was in OS 8 :).

Edit: Woot my 20th post, only 980 to go :D.

congrats :D and 8 ftw (idk, i am proud to say i have never kept an apple os on any of my boxes) :D

Numberzz

Numberzz

Resident iPhone Expert

• Retired
  • 3,452 posts
I am for 8.6. When I went to somewhere in Arnold, the place that I stayed had a very old Mac. It had system 7 on it. It worked with color and everything, but I restarted it and it broke :D So that is why I go for Mac OS 8.6

blackandblue

blackandblue

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
8.1 was where it was at for me back in the day. It was the best os for my pb1400. 8.5/6 were waaaay too slow with only 32mb of ram.

McSkywalker

McSkywalker

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:2D - 3D design<br />Painting<br />Guitar playing<br />Woodworking - Gran...
My first system was 8.1, the one that came with my iMac G3 233. 8.5 & 8.6 were much better than that and I voted for Mac OS 9. In fact, I resisted switching to Mac OS X until it felt more complete kind of an OS with Jaguar. :)

9 works quite fast in iMac 233, with 160 MB ram, btw. :wallbash:

gikku

gikku

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
doesn't it rather depend on which mac you want to run the os on?

icey-ice-ice

icey-ice-ice

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
after 1.0 or so i think they lost the guided tours. can we x86 classic???

A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose

Proud PPC User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
Classic cannot be X86-ed, at least not without a nasty port job. USe SheepShaver

Skeevekiller

Skeevekiller

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Not merely System 6, but System 6.08L, specifically!

Some hooks to the features soon to come in System 7, but w/ all the insanely ugly & stupid desktop patterns stripped out, & other unnecessary system resources as well. Small footprint, as fast as it comes. Load it up in a Powerbook 100, even w/ the base 2MB of memory, you can still allocate enough space for 6.08L to a ram disk [no need for a disk cache; trim that to zero! System 6' disk cach mgmt. sucked anyway...] and have enough ram left over to run MacWrite II.

Best of the System 6, & so unknown that it's still mostly a rumour after a decade & 1/2. But I was there, I used it, & still miss the rockin' performance that running completely out of ram gave to the otherwise sedate PB100. Of course, by today's standards that was still dog slow, but at the time it was the best bang for the buck available for mobile production [no internet to distract you from getting things done is still sometimes a valuable feature!
;-)

ToA

ToA

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I choose...

I've never used a mac os before os x

:D

/Needs to try

Oss-Seven-Point-Six

Oss-Seven-Point-Six

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
System 7 was fun...when I used it in kindergarden/Grade 1. It totally made my Windows 3.11 on a 486 look like {censored}.

apowerr

apowerr

InsanelyMac Deity

• Retired
  • 1,875 posts
I would say Mac OS 8. It ran quite well on the iMacs and other Macs of the time. However Windows NT 4.0 came out a year before Mac OS 8. I always liked NT better than Mac OS. Windows 2000 came out around 5 months after Mac OS 9 was released, and then I really just lost interest in the Macintosh... Until OS X :thumbsdown_anim:

Doug the Impaler

Doug the Impaler

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
The first Mac OS I ever used was 7.5.3 on the Power Macintosh 7200's at college, and everything else has just built on it (until the Return of Jobs ensured that OS X felt more like NeXT STEP rather than the classic Mac OS). I really still like 7.x, sticking to 7.6.1 on my Powerbook. I have 9.2.2 on my blue G3 because it came with 8.6 and won't run 7.x at all, so I might as well go with the latest.

Oss-Seven-Point-Six

Oss-Seven-Point-Six

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
You could get the appearance manager for system 7 and give it the os8 look.

~pcwiz

~pcwiz

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Retired
  • 5,900 posts
OS 9. The best obviously unless you are a vintage geek.

No rly, is this thread even neccessary?

(MoC)

(MoC)

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts
  • Interests:Plenty.
The best OS's were 8.6 and 9.

They both ran PERFECTLY on a G3 with 64 mb ram. Under emulation it is {censored} but it gives you a look. Anyway, I voted 9, because by me it worked best and wasn't kind-a "Abandonwarez"

Luminaire

Luminaire

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Wow. Seems Apple actually gets better with every new release. Contrary to another company we all know...

Anyway, asking what version of window you like best is kind of weird too, isn't it? But I'd have to say Win2000 (NT6, IIRC).

Oss-Seven-Point-Six

Oss-Seven-Point-Six

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Anyway, asking what version of window you like best is kind of weird too, isn't it? But I'd have to say Win2000 (NT6, IIRC).

Actually, that was NT 5.0, not 6 (Vista is 6 :) )

Windows 2000 isn't that bad, provided you slipstream it and get rid of all the junk.

http://www.vorck.com/remove-ie.html

SpeedfreaK

SpeedfreaK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
OS 9!!
why? os 7 was totally not compatible with windows (i have an old performa and when i insert a diskette with a mac os classic program, but it's written with a pc to that diskette, os 7 can't work good with it)
i never used mac os 8
and i used os 9 for more than 5 years and it was the best mac os system i had (and i had various macs: mac classic II, powerbook duo 250, powerbook 130, performa 5300, performa 7x00) and my imac dv worked with os 9. (now it runs panther) but the very best mac os operating system is leopard!! (it's soooo good (i have it on my alu imac))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy