What is the best Classic version?

matt_olsen

What is the best MacOS Classic version?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best MacOS Classic version?

• System 1
    • System 2
    • System 3
    • System 4
    • System 5
    • System 6
    • System 7
    • Mac OS 8
    • Mac OS 9

38 posts in this topic

• 11 months later...

Not merely System 6, but System 6.08L, specifically!

Some hooks to the features soon to come in System 7, but w/ all the insanely ugly & stupid desktop patterns stripped out, & other unnecessary system resources as well. Small footprint, as fast as it comes. Load it up in a Powerbook 100, even w/ the base 2MB of memory, you can still allocate enough space for 6.08L to a ram disk [no need for a disk cache; trim that to zero! System 6' disk cach mgmt. sucked anyway...] and have enough ram left over to run MacWrite II.

Best of the System 6, & so unknown that it's still mostly a rumour after a decade & 1/2. But I was there, I used it, & still miss the rockin' performance that running completely out of ram gave to the otherwise sedate PB100. Of course, by today's standards that was still dog slow, but at the time it was the best bang for the buck available for mobile production [no internet to distract you from getting things done is still sometimes a valuable feature!

;-)

I would say Mac OS 8. It ran quite well on the iMacs and other Macs of the time. However Windows NT 4.0 came out a year before Mac OS 8. I always liked NT better than Mac OS. Windows 2000 came out around 5 months after Mac OS 9 was released, and then I really just lost interest in the Macintosh... Until OS X :thumbsdown_anim:

The first Mac OS I ever used was 7.5.3 on the Power Macintosh 7200's at college, and everything else has just built on it (until the Return of Jobs ensured that OS X felt more like NeXT STEP rather than the classic Mac OS). I really still like 7.x, sticking to 7.6.1 on my Powerbook. I have 9.2.2 on my blue G3 because it came with 8.6 and won't run 7.x at all, so I might as well go with the latest.

The best OS's were 8.6 and 9.

They both ran PERFECTLY on a G3 with 64 mb ram. Under emulation it is {censored} but it gives you a look. Anyway, I voted 9, because by me it worked best and wasn't kind-a "Abandonwarez"

Wow. Seems Apple actually gets better with every new release. Contrary to another company we all know...

Anyway, asking what version of window you like best is kind of weird too, isn't it? But I'd have to say Win2000 (NT6, IIRC).

OS 9!!

why? os 7 was totally not compatible with windows (i have an old performa and when i insert a diskette with a mac os classic program, but it's written with a pc to that diskette, os 7 can't work good with it)

i never used mac os 8

and i used os 9 for more than 5 years and it was the best mac os system i had (and i had various macs: mac classic II, powerbook duo 250, powerbook 130, performa 5300, performa 7x00) and my imac dv worked with os 9. (now it runs panther) but the very best mac os operating system is leopard!! (it's soooo good (i have it on my alu imac))