CMOS Resets on Restarts after Sleep and Wake in 10.7 (Lion)

• Please log in to reply
485 replies to this topic

rbonon

rbonon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

I can confirm that AppleRTC.kext 1.3.1 from 10.6.8 works with 10.7/10.7.1 and takes care of the CMOS issue on my z68X-UDH3-B3 with a DSDT installed.

Hello,

I have a Z68X-UD3H-B3+MSI 9850 Cyclone+16Gb RAM. I have a perfectly working Snow Leopard in one partition (sleeps working flawlessly except autosleep). I then had a try installing Lion on a separate partition, following tonymacx86 xMove method.

Under Lion I was experiencing the expected CMOS reset and sleep not working (blank screen, fans and LEDs on)

I then patch Lion AppleRTC like this

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x44\x89\xf8|\xeb\x30\x44\x89\xf8|; s|\x75\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|\xeb\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

Now CMOS reset is gone. But sleep is not yet quite working. I can sleep the machine once. Upon awakening, I loose the USB keyboard (Apple Aluminum wired keyboard) no matter which USB port it is attached to. Also, the machine sleeps only once, the second time an further it just blank the screen with LEDs and fans on.

Am I missing the addition of any Kexts? I am using a DSDT patched from my system under Snow Leopard with Mald0n's DSTDPatcher and I have the following kexts under /Extra/Extensions:
ACPIMonitor.kext
FakeSMC.kext
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
IntelCPUMonitor.kext
NVClockX.kext
RadeonMonitor.kext
SuperIOFamily.kext

Besides that, just the installation of Realtek drivers under /System.

Any clues? No sleep is a dealbreaker to me.

bulier

bulier

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
After sleep the system didn't wake up, force restart and the verbose message stop here:
"RTC: Only single RAM bank (128 bytes)"

The same DSDT works well for the Snow Leopard, it looks the same issue as this thread reported, my question is how I can apply the perl fix when I can not login? Any advice is appreciated.

>Update: I have figured what's the problem, I'm using a PS2 keyboard, it seems I need disable the USB keyboard and USB mouse in the BIOS. After I did that, it start working again.

MG32

MG32

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello there everyone!

I have successfully installed Lion with everything working just fine, except this problem: I can't shut it down completely. After I click the shut down button, it closes everything and it shuts down, but after 5 seconds or so it starts again. The LED of my power button keeps blinking in that interval. The only way too shut it down is just to keep the power button pressed after it starts again.

Appreciate all the work guys, without you none of this would be possible. If anyone can help me, I would gladly accept it.

Thanks!

lnx2mac

lnx2mac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Hi guys,

I'm using rayap's (thanks!) one-liner from post #340 to binpatch AppleRTC.

In the ever quest for vanilla, just got another crazy idea...

How about recalculating the checksum in the DSDT (either in _PTS or _GTS) ?

What do you think ?

dantoine

dantoine

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi guys,

i have the Intel-Board DP55WG and i have no CMOS-reset after sleep. I have no AppleRTC-Patch. If it could help, here is my DSDT-File.

Attached Files

• Attached File  dsdt.zip   5.29KB   39 downloads

qbaser

qbaser

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
How do I even wake it from sleep? i tried hitting the keys and also moving the mouse...?

Also, is it a big deal that it resets CMOS? What exactly does it mean?

Thanks
Al

rayap

rayap

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

How do I even wake it from sleep? i tried hitting the keys and also moving the mouse...?

Check your DSDT; get help in that thread.

Also, is it a big deal that it resets CMOS? What exactly does it mean?

Watch a PC boot, if there is no BIOS error(see topic title) - no need for this CMOS fix.

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Can anyone confirm the patch from post #340 is untouched by 10.7.2?

STLVNUB

STLVNUB

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,137 posts
Going on timestamp I would say "YES"

edit: and after resetting!

OonihiloO

OonihiloO

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 27 posts
I can confirm too :
AppleRTC.kext is still with version 1.4
The patch can still be used and is still working (tested on X58A-UD3R rev 2)
Enjoy

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,102 posts
Hey lnx2mac - Good job with all your work on the revised network driver, and I read you'll be releasing the source soon. Great.

Fixing the RTC issue from ACPI does look possible as per RevoGirl's post from July (below), but I've not found the time or had the patience to look deeper at it, though to be honest I easily get lost when working with the finer details of ACPI coding. Maybe your skills could develop the idea further?

read the ACPI specification 4.0 and specifically chapter 15.

There you’ll read that method _GTS is executed after method _PTS when your system is going to sleep, and there’s also _BFS which is executed upon waking, and thus before method _WAK is executed.

The first method would be the place to read and store the RTC data, and method _BFS to restore it, when required. Just give it a shot.

You can also block writes to address 56h-59h in the RAM banks, by changing the RTC configuration register. This way it will ignore writes to the addresses. And yes. Everything can be done from the ACPI namespace… and I would use a tiny SSDT for this (see RevoBoot WiKi) but the boot loader is probably the best place to make changes to the RTC configuration register

Good luck trying!

Oh, and as STLVNUB and OonihiloO, I didn't have to re-patch the AppleRTC binary either after updating to 10.7.2

Crna Brada

Crna Brada

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

I can confirm too :
AppleRTC.kext is still with version 1.4
The patch can still be used and is still working (tested on X58A-UD3R rev 2)
Enjoy

Could you please post the patched AppleRTC.kext that works on X58A-UD3R rev 2?

I have the same MB and had AppleRTC.kext patch that use to work (no CMOS rest and perfect sleep) since May.
On Wednesday, I had a problem with iCloud and had to reinstall Lion and use latest version of Chimera.
Very same patched AppleRTC.kext is now working only partially: no CMOS reset but the system does not wake from sleep!?
Also tried to patch new AppleRTC.kext which comes with 10.7.2 using script from message #340 - the same, partial (un)success.
Interestingly enough, I have the same issue on another Gigabyte MB - X58-UD7!?

Any help or hint how to get my good night and Hackintosh sleeps back is highly appreciated.

Edit: The things are even worse than I initially thought! Even Shut Down causes CMOS reset. The only thing that works is Reset?

EDIT 2: SOLVED THE PROBLEM !!!
It had nothing to do with Chimera or 10.7.2 update!
Realtek Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.0.6 for 81xx Ethernet controllers is the culprit!!! :(
As soon as I removed it, everything went to normal with old patched AppleRTC.kext.

OonihiloO

OonihiloO

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 27 posts
@Cma Brada : use Lnx2Mac's kext in my sig for your ethernet ship and all should be OK.
@ all : Sorry for out of topic

angel___eyes

angel___eyes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
thanx pals...
problem splved....

thanx

angel

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Hi guys,

I'm using rayap's (thanks!) one-liner from post #340 to binpatch AppleRTC.

In the ever quest for vanilla, just got another crazy idea...

What do you think ?

Code in DSDT is not allowed to modify the CMOS so I don't think that will work (although I don't know enough about the DSDT to understand the details of what you're saying). I did try to make a recalculation kext a while back and hook it up to the sleep event but I was unable to make it run after the modification had been made - only before.

ontheslab

ontheslab

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Can anyone confirm the patch from post #340 is untouched by 10.7.2?

All good with my test box too - fresh 10.7.2 install, patched - cmos problem gone!

----

----

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Can confirm that post #340 patch fixed this on GA-P35-DS3R running OS X Lion 10.7.2.

I've also kept the vanilla AppleRTC.kext in /System/Library/Extensions and placed the patched one into /Extra/Extensions, it overrides during boot!

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I just noticed my system hasn't been sleeping past couple of days. I believe it tries to. The display goes black, but all lights/fans stay on. I find it strange since it was working before. I don't think I've changed anything significant since the problem started. Beyond that, when 10.7.2 was released, I updated Cham, and switched to using UseKernelCache flag. Though again, I don't believe I had a problem immediately after all that, I sleep the system several times daily and would have noticed if it happened after those updates. Any ideas?

Edit:
Some inconsistencies noticed. Sometimes the display goes black and everything stays on fans/lights, usb periphs. Other times the display goes off and turns back on almost immediately. =/ Don't know what to make of it.

rayap

rayap

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
@EnzoFX

Maybe time to delete Startup Caches folder contents!

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

@EnzoFX

Maybe time to delete Startup Caches folder contents!

I'm afraid I don't know where that folder is. I did use an app to "Clean System Cache" and it did not solve the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy