ESI Juli@ / Envy 24 with OSX86 - Any progress?

zuus

982 posts in this topic

Analogue recording is now working as well (stereo)! Took some time to figure out what was causing distortion every 256 samples, but I needed to do setSampleOffset(32) so that the HAL keeps 32 frames behind the DMA engine.

Next in line would be volume control, which brings me to a question to you guys. How (in OSX) would you select between for example line-in and mic-in? I don't see an interface in the driver API for that. Perhaps there is always an additional 'mixer' panel from the sound card manufacturer to do that (when using official drivers)?

In the Sound system preferences panel you can select a default input and output device from line out, headphones, mic in, line in etc, and choose what device to play system sounds through. There's also /Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup.app for more advanced configuration. hopefully that's what you're looking for

I managed to compile Audio Evolution 5 (my upcoming new audio sequencer) on OSX86 and changed my driver to support 8 channels of multi-channel sound and it worked!

Core Audio splits the 8-channels to 4 stereo outs (perhaps you can configure that somewhere in the Audio prefs if you wish) and I successfully tested sending sound simultaneously from AE5 to the first two stereo outs.

Ok, yesterday I have been preparing for a beta release. I now use a shell script to unload an old driver and load the new one, but I thought that would not be user-friendly enough. So I tried PackageMaker, but after installation it complains that the driver was not installed correctly. Using kextload on the installed driver gives me some warnings and errors about version numbers and ownership issues (I thought I solved those, apparently not), so I'm going to look into those tonight. If I succeed, you'll have a beta version tonight that should work for:

Terratec: Aureon Sky 5.1, Space 7.1, Phase 22, Phase28

M-Audio: Revolution 5.1, Revolution 7.1

ESI: Juli@

I've tested it on the Revo 5.1 and Sky 5.1 myself.

No other cards will work, so there is no need to try if you don't have these cards!

Thanks!

Alright, showtime! :(

If you have any of the above mentioned cards, please download the BETA Envy24HT driver at:

http://www.audio-evolution.com/drivers/

Note, I don't have another OSX86 machine, so don't be surprised if this doesn't install or work. But I'd be glad to hear if it did!

If you like my work, donations are always welcome at paypal AT audio-evolution.com! :(

Hi audiodriverwriter

First, thank you for your hard work!

Just would like to inform you that unfortunaly, it does not work on my hackintosh (ESI Juli@).

I could not even reboot my pc. I had to remove Envy24HTPCIAudioDriver.kext to make it work again.

I wish you will find the solution everybody is waiting for.

Hi audiodriverwriter

First, thank you for your hard work!

Just would like to inform you that unfortunaly, it does not work on my hackintosh (ESI Juli@).

I could not even reboot my pc. I had to remove Envy24HTPCIAudioDriver.kext to make it work again.

I wish you will find the solution everybody is waiting for.

Ok, thanks for testing! I will put my Juli@ in tomorrow to see if I can reproduce it.

Could you please look in the system.log if you see anything related to the Envy24HT driver, like a text with 'subvendor'? Oh, and please state your OSX version.

I'am on Leopard 10.5.5 and here are my logs:

Oct 21 00:23:33 chezalfredo kernel[0]: Found ESI Juli@!

Oct 21 00:23:33 chezalfredo kernel[0]: subvendor = 31305345

Oct 21 00:23:33 chezalfredo kernel[0]: Card init done!

Oct 21 00:23:33 chezalfredo kernel[0]: Freq = 8

Everything seems to be OK in the logs, but as soon as I start Preferences>Sound, or a music app, it freezes.

Good luck!

Hi !

Your driver works perfectly on my OS X86 machine (GA-EP35-DS3 / Mac OS X 10.5.5 iATKOS 4.1i) with a Revolution 5.1 card :)

The volume is locked, but it's not really a problem, the sound quality seems to be perfect.

In fact, it just works :)

Thanks for your wonderful work !

Edit : sorry, my english is not perfect

I'm glad to hear that it works for someone! :)

I assume that it will work on Aureon Sky and Revo 5.1, since that's what I tested it with.

I hope I can fix the Juli@ issue tonight. With my Juli@ though I can have freezes as well under Windows if I orient it for use with the quarter inch jacks. The other side works. Some electrical contact issue I assume.

Succesfuly installed on my system (Revolution 5.1). Yet I have a question : the driver has 5.1 sound support ? Altough in Midi setup I set the 5.1 speakers option and the noise test works Itunes and other applications gives sound only to the front speakers.

Thank you.

Succesfuly installed on my system (Revolution 5.1). Yet I have a question : the driver has 5.1 sound support ? Altough in Midi setup I set the 5.1 speakers option and the noise test works Itunes and other applications gives sound only to the front speakers.

Thank you.

To be honest, I have no clue how that works in OSX. All I know is that for the Revo 5.1, a 6-channel stream is used, which is why your noise/speaker test works. I assume that you play stereo sound in ITunes, which only should be heard through the front speakers anyway. Or are you playing some kind of multi-channel tracks from ITunes?

Ok Audiodriverwriter

I just got it working!!! It was my webcam mic that was freezing everything.

The sound is very good.

I can now play guitare with amplitube with very low latency :(

Thank you so much.

Good to hear!

I actually put in my Juli@ yesterday and it worked, even with my quarter inch jacks at the back that never worked under Windows. There is something wrong with the sound though: when I stop playing a sample (for example in Audacity), the last part of the sample is repeated once. You can hear this very well on short sounds like system beeps, for example in the Terminal window. Do you also have this problem?

Hello Audiodriverwriter,

Tested yours drivers with Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 and it works! Tested stereo and multichannel audio.

You will say that it should not work, but I did the old trick - by writing EEPROM data of Terratec Aureon Space 7.1 to Prodigy 7.1 :)

Actually hardware are almost identical, only Prodigy 7.1 have coaxial S/PDIF outputs/inputs instead of optical outputs on Space 7.1

About the problems, I don't know way, but after your driver is loaded, some USB ports (front panel) stops working, after your kext is unloaded, USB ports starts working again.

I think you can safely add Prodigy 7.1 to supported card list, EEPROM content of Prodigy 7.1:

Offset#0=45;

Offset#1=53;

Offset#2=49;

Offset#3=33;

Offset#4=78;

Offset#5=78;

Offset#6=78;

Offset#7=78;

Offset#8=45;

Offset#9=47;

Offset#A=4F;

Offset#B=53;