ESI Juli@ / Envy 24 with OSX86 - Any progress?

zuus

982 posts in this topic

Curious to see if there has been any progress made on this little corner of the soundcard world - specifically the VIA Envy24HT-S (24-bit, 192 kHz; interfaces: three output I2S/AC-links, two input I2S/AC-links)? As few might know, a number of professional sound cards (as well as a couple of consumer cards) use the Envy 24 chip and I amongst others am aching to put it to good use with OSX86 and its glorious variety of musical software.

If there's been any progress or insight into a working kext, I'd love to know. ESI-Pro actually have a driver for OSX which fails to work in OSX86 of course. They have done their research as any good company and have stated their reason for not creating an OSX86 driver - being that Intel Mac's don't and never will have standard PCI slots they don't see reason to create a driver.

Keeping in mind that an OSX driver exists, it shouldn't really be all that difficult to simply modify it into x86. Then again my knowledge of programming is close to zero, so I may be wrong, but sure as heck makes me regret giving up learning programming years ago.

Anyway, if anyone has heard anything, please do respond in here :P

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the Envy boat too... M-Audio has drivers for the Revolution 7.1, but I don't know if they work under OSx86, since I've got a slightly different card. Under Linux Envy cards work perfectly though... maybe some people could port the drivers or so?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice! This driver could also work for other Envy24 cards like Maudio Audiophile 2496!

I have the same problem: The driver loads, the device is shown, midi works. Also output is shown in audio software, but I cannot hear anything. Maybe the channel numbers are swapped? There are 6 output channels. The Julia panel does not work, but maybe you do not need it.

On an Envy24PT(onboard a Shuttle SN25P mainboard), the Julia Panel works but everything is greyed out, nothing shows in system profiler under audio also nothing in audio/midi setup. Just tried the ESI1010 driver no luck ther either(PPC driver?)

Has anyone managed to get any audio out of this chipset- im not bothered about all of the ins/outs spdif etc- just want to play somemp3's :D Might it be possible to use drivers for another chipset thats similar in order to get some sounds out?

Hey, don't forget to remove subvendor id check, from Info.plist, is other case driver WILL NOT load correctly. Remove two lines under this:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x17241412</string>

Have any Juli@ owner sound with this driver?

Right, so i did that and fixed the permissions- the julia panel still is greyyed out but esi audio device shows up in audio+midi settings, i can play with settings there but it does nothing. System Preferences -Sound shows the Esi Audio Device as having no inputs or outputs which i guess is where the problem lies

Maybe its because im using a chip built into the mainboard and not a pci card? Anyhow that might or might be useful to someone else

Thanks for your help DaemonES im new to all of this,

taken from: http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/audio/co...llers/envy24pt/

For the Pro-motherboard market the VIA Envy24PT in combination with an AC '97 codec like VIA's VT1616 realizes an excellent balance of analog and digital audio connections.

So im actually after a driver for a vt1616 chipset which it turns out doesnt exist, would messing with an existing ac'97 driver work or is the driver youre writing gonna include support for this? I might just have to get a new card :huh:

I have a Chaintech AV-710. Incredible card, very cheap as well. This is also the VIA Envy24HT-S chipset. The least I can do is bump this thread. If anyone can get it working, I'll buy a second one to get off the USB audio that I use now with OSX86, and thank them profusely.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New Intel macs dont have fysical PCI busses to plug cards in only PCI-Express :hysterical:

Anyway it would be nice if we could device a way to get this chipset going, im gonna install gentoo and try see if I can fabricate something out of the ALSA modules..... (anyone ideas?)

PS: Ive got M-Audio Audiophile 192

• 3 months later...

hi there

so are there any news on creating juli@ driver for macos?

unfortunately im not a programmer, im a sound engineer, however i'll try to contribute if i can. maybe install macos and try to do something with my juli@?

anyways can anyone say how hard is it to create such driver? absolutle impossible? only Juli@ developers can create that driver or any good programmer can get enough information for making the driver? maybe its easier just to buy a second soundcard?

hm. i wrote an email to the developers and was VERY surprised when they replied me with a link on teir obvious driver download page with the MacOS drivers there.

So everything okay? I can move to macos with my juli@ and have fun in Logic8? anyone used that already?

• 1 month later...
So everything okay? I can move to macos with my juli@ and have fun in Logic8? anyone used that already?

Unfortunally:

------------

Subj: RE: ESI Juli@ on the "Hackintosh PC"

Dear Sergi

We do not support our OSX drivers under OSX x86 on standard Intel PC,s

Use of our products OSX drivers are for use with Apple Mac OSX on an

Apple Mac system only

( There are No plans nor will there be any drivers for "Hacknitosh PC,s" )

Regards

UK Support

ESI Audiotechnik

Tel: +44 (0) 1280 847525

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I recently bought a Maya44 Esi-Pro sound card. I've donwloaded the drivers from the vendor site (http://download.esi-audio.com/?w=esi&p=14&g=1&l=en) but when Ive installed, and reboot, i've got kernel panic.

Obviously, the driver is made for Macs, but the driver has been released, and maybe somebody can take it as a start point.

Another great news is that there are new drivers por Juli@ at:

http://download.esi-audio.com/?w=esi&p...mp;g=1&l=en

and for ESP1010 at:

http://download.esi-audio.com/?w=esi&p...mp;g=1&l=en.

So...I'm looking for a way to do something to get my maya44 to work.

Regards,

Biondysman.