[Guide] Mammoth Method v2.00 - HP DVx 10.6.x: Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation. /// NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD for i5 & i3 \\\

Mammoth

1,567 posts in this topic

Edit: Cleared out my extra questions as I solved them and came back to possibly help others.

Thank you very much @HaTTor for your input and reply.

It's working!! Some what.

I really appreciate the work people have put into these particular machines. I feel like our laptops are still good for a couple years at minimum.

For future reference and people coming after me. My specs are as listed in my sig. A couple things before I give a brief overview to share what I learned. Just because Windows 8.1 installs a EFI partition does not mean your system is using UEFI, a bit of Googling made it seem so but it is not. I also do not recommend the modded BIOS for my system, it is unstable.

Post install is where I was stuck. Root drive not found. The white background and Apple logo with no spinner, then with spinner, what was crazy is that if I kept booting from my USB install it would boot up. This is what worked for me.

After the 2 reboots from USB to finish the install and setup Mac. I installed clover on my Mac partition. I did not use Amer's DSDT, generated my own config file with Clover Configurator, did some very minor adjustments for the GUI. Only 2 kexts used were FakeSMC and RealtekRTL81xx.

My Clover install for Mavericks had only these checked in the options

• Install Clover in the ESP
  • Bootloader -> Install boot0ss in MBR
  • CloverEFI -> CloverEFI 64-bits SATA
  • Themes -> BootCamp (honestly I can't imagine how this would effect anyone's boot up)
  • Install RC scripts on target volume
  • Install Clover Preference Pane

When Installing windows do not directly boot from your Windows USB installer or DVD. Get to the Clover boot screen then select the correct partition or in my case my DVD drive. Windows installer will then recognize and install as UEFI giving a true EFI setup without any hybrid boot partitions. It is truly sweet.

Edit: Having the hardest time getting sound to work. Tried extracting my DSDT but my system will not boot with it for some reason. Is there a way to get sound working without DSDT?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

I have been able to yosemite install dp2 on a usb hd and am able to boot into it by clover legacy/efi mode,but can't reach the desktop as I can't enter the user name and pass word as my touchpad and key board are not working.

I am able to boot the install only if I attach a usb mouse.But that can't enter the username/password etc and I am stuck at that step.

If I do not attach the usb mouse the boot stops with the following screen as shown by another poster:.

http://www.insanelym...5#entry2030272 

I have tried putting vodoops2controller.kext. in both the clover/efi /kext folder only and also in that plus s/le together but still no go.

I used BOOT USB OS X YOSEMITE V1(Clover/Chameleon to make the install usb. and am using the latest fakesmc.kext and vodoops2controller.kext by rehabman.

So what do I do?

Is this a kernel cache issue as to why the ps2 kext is not loading.

My specs are in the signature.

Please advise

Thanks

Edit:

I had started a thread about this issue in yosemite installation subforum but nobody has replied so I was hoping some of you would be trying yosemite yourself and guide me.

Hello!

Are you booting to your hdd install with ignoring caches and injecting kexts?

You must know by yourself, which touchpad brand is installed in your device. Perhaps you need an other or newer version of the kext.

Have fun.

Hello!

Are you booting to your hdd install with ignoring caches and injecting kexts?

You must know by yourself, which touchpad brand is installed in your device. Perhaps you need an other or newer version of the kext.

Have fun.

Well its a synaptic touchpad on hp dv6.

I am booting to hdd and not using the usekernelcache command and not injecting kexts as that option does not appear in clover options for me.

Hello!

If this option does also not appear, if you are pressing space, then you have to repair your Clover config.plist. You need to inject your kexts til you have installed them on your hdd.

An other solution is to boot your usb installer once again and copy faksmc.kext and the voodoops2.kext over with terminal from it´s S/L/E to S/L/E of your new hdd install. Do it also with genericusbxhcx.kext, if needed. Don´t forget to repair permissions with diskutility.

The easiet solution would be, that you have an other working install on your device, from which you can boot. Boot into it and install with your preffered kextutility the neccessary kext´s on your new install with repairing permissions.

After that boot with ignoring caches to your new install.

You should also have a look here: http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Contents or look here in the developers corner for Clover instructions.

Have fun.

@styrian,

well My ubuntu install got bonked along with my data partiton while trying to install in clover efi with gpt, as you can see from my signature I was tripple booting from one hdd earlier on a mixed gpt mbr with chameleon.

I have sucessfully installed yosemite and win 8.1 with clover efi ,now am reading as how add ubuntu in uefi mode.

Also I want to keedp a parttion for my data that I would like to read from all os,so fat32 seems to be the way to go,.

Some people on other threads advise to not use fat 32 on efi gpt disk all together.

Any sugggestions about patitioning.

Currently I have installed os x as first ,win 8.1 as second os and plan to install ubuntu as third  in sequential order followed by a partition for my data.

• 4 weeks later...

@Yehia Amer /others

I am running a tripple boot with clover on a gpt disk.I have flashed with a modded bios and in the bios settings it says boot efi but no further choices (it is selected by default).

But installing  clover with the option to boot exclusive in uefi mode does not make ithe hard drive to be bootable.

But as blazinsmokey says in post 1501 above clover boots the oses only when its installed with these options-

• Install Clover Preference Pane.

So what I am asking is, is it an efi set up or is  it some uefi shell on bios.Why cant we boot with pure uefi install of clover if insyde bios is already uefi supportive.I already have modded bios.

Do we need to make a HP_Tool partion or name EFI partition that and install hp uefi support enviornment tools to it, to make it a pure uefi setup.

Any explanations on these above said points.

Also if i chose install  clover to boot  uefi mode (first option in clover installler), then the os does not boot, it says no operating syatem found and I need to install clover with the above shown settings to boot.

Is it ok, meaning we dont have a true efi install because of our bios.

Please respond.

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@yehia

thanks ,got it working ,but your previous method of clover injection was better , hope it gets solved with the gm.

Also hope you get the power management sorted out.

for everyone with the Speedstep "Power Management" problem, i created a topic asking for help, hope to see everyone there to test the provided solutions !

maybe it's my problem !!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300735-help-core-i7-720qm-power-management-speedstep/?p=2059910

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone running 10.9.* and a DV8 with working sound wants to send me their config.plist dsdt and layout config; and which version of hda kext they're using that would be amazing!

I think I've used ever version of HDA and HDIAT with about five different layout ids with no luck.

My volume slider won't move, I think I would settle for a crackle at this point.

When I get some time I may try the linux codec dump option. 

My backlight is goofy too, but that I can live with. 

Edit:

I needed sound, and I needed it now. I used AppleHDAdisabler and then newest Voodoohda. Sound finally works!

The slider doesn't work right,  but it's a nice temp fix if anyone else is having the same problem. 

I'll play with it more later.

• 2 weeks later...

@Yehia Amer /others

I am running a tripple boot with clover on a gpt disk.I have flashed with a modded bios and in the bios settings it says boot efi but no further choices (it is selected by default).

But installing  clover with the option to boot exclusive in uefi mode does not make ithe hard drive to be bootable.

But as blazinsmokey says in post 1501 above clover boots the oses only when its installed with these options-

• Install Clover Preference Pane.

So what I am asking is, is it an efi set up or is  it some uefi shell on bios.Why cant we boot with pure uefi install of clover if insyde bios is already uefi supportive.I already have modded bios.

Do we need to make a HP_Tool partion or name EFI partition that and install hp uefi support enviornment tools to it, to make it a pure uefi setup.

Any explanations on these above said points.

Also if i chose install  clover to boot  uefi mode (first option in clover installler), then the os does not boot, it says no operating syatem found and I need to install clover with the above shown settings to boot.

Is it ok, meaning we dont have a true efi install because of our bios.

Please respond.

Thanks in advance.

+1

Anyone knows if we can get GPT boot?? 

+1

Anyone knows if we can get GPT boot?? 

No, you can't get proper UEFI boot on the Insyde bios (at least on my DV8) even with a hacked bios to enable UEFI and/or recreating the HP_Tools partition. I've tried. The best you can do is:

• Use Clover (MBR install) on USB to boot each O/S in UEFI mode, install full GPT disk and UEFI capable  (Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04, OSX 10.9 for me)
  • Install Clover with UEFI options but also need the Clover boot sector option installed to protective MBR in GPT
  • Insyde BIOS boots MBR that loads Clover UEFI that then loads your O/S in UEFI mode.

I think the big issue is that there is no NVRAM or proper NVRAM support in Insyde's "hybrid" BIOS and this is needed for storage of the boot options, etc. Occasionally I've been thrown into the BIOS screen that let's you view and set these boot options but it is always blank and you can't set anything. IMHO, the Insyde UEFI support was broken and that is why they locked it out from the BIOS.

• Like 1

@gsly

Thanks for confirming the above.

We can't boot without the boot file that installs with the clover legacy mode install.I get a boot0:ss error without it.

So its basically legacy clover to get to clover and then cloverefi to boot in ufi mode. So its still like chamaleon booting for us.

By the way is your wireless working with yosemite final on your dv8? What about sound with the same.

I wish I can have 10.10 installed on my DV8, but I cant get  a proper USB installer, followed some guides ,but no success...... anyone have a working process to install 10.10 on our HP DV machines?

//Peter

@Peter,

Hi

get Clover_v2k_Special Edition by chris1111 from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299865-clover-v2k-special-edition-yosemite-beta-1-2-3/  and make the installer usb, just add beta to the name of the os installer app as chris stopped making this usb installer during the beta testing. Boot from the installer after placing your config.plist, dsdt and the vodoops2 kext in appropriate places in the efi/clover folder.

Just found out Chris1111 has removed the files from the above post.Just tell me if you needthat installer I will link it to some free host.

@Peter

ok here is the link to the last installer he made: Clover_v2k_r2928_Special Edition.pkg

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/336d8813

This was the most uptodate in the series of installers he made from dp till beta.

just renameInstall OS X Yosemite.app  to Install OS X Yosemite Beta.app  otherwise the installer wont work, and place it in applications folder. The rest is automatic Run the special pkg and choose the first option to make the installer, choose clover install options as mentioned in my posts above(1509).

Once installer finishes.mount the efi partition of the install usb and add config.plist ,dsdt , kexts needed etc and boot from it to complete install

let me know how it goes!!!

@Peter

make the installer fom your currently installed osx system.

Once the installer has finished the usb is ready to install yosemite.While making the installer choose the option for clover install on the usb as i had showed earlier.This will install the clover in ESP that is the efi patioin of the usb.

Now you need some modification to boot this usb on your system to install yosemite.

Download and install efi mounter 2.1,you,ll get it at usual places.Run it to mount the efi partion of your recently made usb, in that partition there would be a "clover" folder in the EFI directory with sub folders in that.

Place your patched dsdt in Clover/ACPI/Patched

Place voodoops2controller.kext from rehabman in Clover/Kext/Others or you can make a folder named 10.10 there( as the same loaction as Others) and put that in it rather than in others

Place the config.plist in .the EFI/Clover folder.   You can try the config.plist by yehia amer to get it going and then modify  it later to your system.You can do so by installing clover configurator once you reach desktop. See this post by yehia

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/250849-guide-mammoth-method-v200-hp-dvx-106x-fast-easy-comprehensive-installation-new-mammoth-boot-cd-for-i5-i3/page-74?do=findComment&comment=1975123

Make sure you have boot in uefi mode selected in bios.

Boot from the usb ,you will get at clover gui, choose the installer usb (will be like boot usb external efi ) to boot from it and complete install.At the  clover gui you can press the space bar and opt boot with kext injection to load all kexts that you have placed in kexts folder.

Install ,reboot from the usb to enter into yosemite on the hdd , complete account setting etc, reach to desktop, now install the clover to the hard drove with the same options to boot without the usb.

Config.plist in clover is roughly = orgchameleonboot.plist+ smbios.plist in chameleon bootloader