[Guide] Mammoth Method v2.00 - HP DVx 10.6.x: Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation. /// NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD for i5 & i3 \\\

Mammoth

1,567 posts in this topic

Hi there!

I successfully installed Lion on my HP Dv6-6030el. I got almost everything working, but I have some problems, so I'm writing here get some help.

I used taptun's kernel and a DSDT edited by Madl0n, which is working fine.

1- I used to have switchable graphics in Windows, but I can't enable my HD 6470M on Hackintosh (I'm using HD3000 which is working fine). Is there a way to make it work?

2- Brightness is working through system slider, but I can't use keyboard Fn keys (I'm using this kext: http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1448 ). Is there a solution? Is it possible to patch the kext? Any different one which works better?

3- I have a card Reader by Realtek (RTS5208), but my system doesn't recognize it (neither as a USB device).. Any kext available?

4- I tried to use USB3 LaCie kext (patched by modbin) but when I insert a drive in the port the system freeze. I couldn't find any error in kernel log, anyone know where is the problem?

Thanks for your answers!

How did you manage tot get the HD3000 to work? Mine just tries to display on my internal ATI and that makes the graphics all screwed up. The only option in BIOS i have is a choice between 'Fixed/Dynamic'.

Thanks in advance!

Hi again folks.

I just spent the weekend reinstalling everything from scratch but have some more problems /questions if you would be so kind to help;

I have created 2 partitions, Macintosh HD and OSX Repair.

I installed 10.6.3, updated to 10.6.8 on the OSX Repair partition using Nawcom's Legacy Kernel for 10.6.8 which worked OK. I was also able to get full QE/CI with the ATI 5650 using the Lion Kexts and Checco's modified boot file and SwitchresX.

On the Macintosh HD partition I did a direct install of Lion 10.7.1 using Mald0n's method. I was able to get it to boot using Taptun's 10.7.1 kernel.

However, after updating the /Extra with Mald0n's installer (which installed smbios.plist for my machine) I have lost the ability to use the mouse and keyboard, also there is no sound and I get a KP if I plug any USB sticks into any of the ports. This is problem #1 (I was unable to generate a DSDT as the AutoPatcher had errors when extracting/patching so there is currently no DSDT anywhere).

This next issue might be best answered by Atlee if he sees this...

I then tried to get the ATI 5650 working using this method: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...262286&st=0

Unfortunately it didn't work and the machine just boots into non QE/CI with 1024x768 resolution strangely. Almost like it ignored the boot file and didn't even try to pick up the ATI Card.

The last thing I tried before calling it a weekend was I installed Atlee's modified boot file for HP Laptops running the ATI 5650. I found it on another thread here on insanelymac.

The weird thing is that it booted into Lion with a blank screen, but it showed nothing on a secondary monitor and I think it had already KP'd by the time it called the windowing environment as nothing else seemed to do anything (caps lock etc.) . I tried using both Hoolock and Vervet with no luck.

In -v mode I did notice that as it was loading everything it said something along the lines of could not load something or other ATI3000.kext (?).

I then tried to reboot into my OSX Repair partition. I don't know how things are called from Chameleon, but I think it then decided to use Atlee's bootfile (as it is in the root of the Macintosh HD partition) to boot into OSX Repair and started looking for 'mach_kernel' instead of the one it normally looks for (legacy_kernel). Maybe it tried reading the wrong org.chameleon.Boot.plist ?

It did boot up if I typed cpus=1 back into 10.6.8 and I was able to then use switchresX to get full graphics back on the 10.6.8 partition. When I checked system profiler, indeed, it had loaded all the correct ATI kexts.

So it seems Atee's boot file did work in Chameleon RC5 to boot into 10.6.8 but I still get the hung system/blank screen trying to boot to Lion.

If someone could explain to me what's going on and how to start troubleshooting it, that would be really great!

Sorry for the super long post!

@taptun @Nixin, is it me or I just cannot get AppleLPC to function properly? most of the time it KP's if disabler is not present, Using MacPro4,1, DSDT with 3b,09 patch under the LPCB label.

C-states always fails

P-State does not show in PStateChanger program.

DropSSDT=Yes sometimes boots, If I use GenerateC or P states then it automatically KP's.

Even by manually adding p and c states to the CPU0-7 in DSDT does no effect, cannot boot and KP's.

Would love to have lower temperatures. ATM under no load it's 73 degrees.

http://www.mediafire.com/?a9dm9cj01nw4qqd

I have not added any brightness or battery patch as it did not work for me.

My DSDT above, i'm pretty sure i've patched everything that is needed to be patched, everything relates to my system not a generic auto patcher method.

Probably will go back to 10.6.8, got more support atm :huh: and LPC work there.

Try it

atlee.zip

@Taptun

thank you, will look at the changes.

C and P state from what i see no errors and everything loads fine expect for my graphics, boots me to blank screen, externel screen and lvds blank but with backlight.

apart from that it works, I have to boot with GE = No to get around blank screen.

The fan control is working nicely as i can hear it speed up and slow down when not needed, not like before it would run full speed all the time.

What were the changes?

I cannot notice anything specific from placing DSDT's side by side :rolleyes:

***update*** it seems to not be a dsdt issue rather the correct settings inside my boot.plist file. Your settings works awsome.

SystemType 1 or 2 makes no difference really. Tried to isolate this blank screen problem.

The setting which made a difference is CSTUsingSystemIO, If this was = to No then creates blank display, If set to Yes then everything works fine.

Not sure why this would change the Graphics display ports? What Hardware registers does it read from?

Also i'm only getting a geekbench of around 3300, whats this news about being able to get high 6000's? I have tried putting P and C states DSDT patch from previous posts but it KP's.

thanks for all the help, now my fan and power operates nice.

Using F.13 bios I could boot with CSTUsingSystemIO=No (Using F.13 bios my bios shutdown my PC due to going over the temperature limit.

Using F.27 bios I cannot boot without a KP, Have to boot using CSTUsingSystemIO=Yes

I thought if you have Native LPC loaded that it is meant to give 10 degrees or so less in temperature?

Windows/Linux fans so quiet, MacOSX the fans like blowing quite loud, sometimes throttles down and up but very rarely.

Might have to give MacOSX a rest and stick to my linux :P Maybe build a desktop so it's easier :)

73 degrees disabling using Disabler.kext.

79 degrees using native LPC. even jumps upto 87 degrees doing noting...something just isn't right :(

just wierd.

How did you manage tot get the HD3000 to work? Mine just tries to display on my internal ATI and that makes the graphics all screwed up. The only option in BIOS i have is a choice between 'Fixed/Dynamic'.

Thanks in advance!

I don't actually know. I used a DSDT edited by Madl0n and Chameleon compiled from trunk and used with no parameters (except from -v to check stuff sometimes) and it worked with no issue... I don't have any option in my BIOS for Graphics (even if I wish I had one, to disable one of the cards and save battery)

Also i'm only getting a geekbench of around 3300, whats this news about being able to get high 6000's? I have tried putting P and C states DSDT patch from previous posts but it KP's.

Hi atlee, Don't know if it will help you any..... but on my hack using "CSTUsingSystemIO=Yes" I too had low performance.

After many hours of changing settings, this is what I came up with that works the best for me. I changed my FakeSMC Rev. version to match my emulated motherboard and SMBios. Some info about that Here

post-702132-1315407709_thumb.png post-702132-1315407732_thumb.png post-702132-1315407760_thumb.png

No load temps upper 40's to low 50's.

Maybe it will help you out too :rolleyes:

Hi atlee, Don't know if it will help you any..... but on my hack using "CSTUsingSystemIO=Yes" I too had low performance.

After many hours of changing settings, this is what I came up with that works the best for me. I changed my FakeSMC Rev. version to match my emulated motherboard and SMBios. Some info about that Here

post-702132-1315407709_thumb.png post-702132-1315407732_thumb.png post-702132-1315407760_thumb.png

No load temps upper 40's to low 50's.

Maybe it will help you out too :D

maybe i should try using macbookpro6,1, please package fakesmc and smbios for me if you can? would be awsome.

Figured it out, changed SMBIOS to macbookpro6,1, edited info.plist inside FakeSMC to match macbookpro6,1 smc called smc-piketon, off to see results :D

I cannot even come close to you with temps. Mine always no load around 73c and go close to 90 if a bench the laptop. Last night i pulled apart the laptop and put good thermal paste on the cpu and gnu but degrees aint dropping.

I enabled c4 state and it seems more responsive so c2, c3, c4.

cannot get temps lower then 73 nothing running. maybe macbookpro6,1 ain't for me

geek bench can't go higher then 4600's/4700.

I decided to load windows 7 environment and run realtemp and prime95 to see what my cpu runs at idle and at load times. I reached the tjmax

4ji3o.png

contacting HP, understandable if cpu runs at 60-70 on load but into the 90's is overkill which will shorten cpu life as 10 from tjmax is manufacturers recommendation.

Hi atlee,

Wow your temps are really high :)

With that windows check it appears there is a issue with your laptop in general. Sorry to here that. Hope you can get some satisfaction from HP.

just in case you are still curious... Here is what you asked for. atlee.zip

I did edit FakeSMC Info.plist. I did not change the "smc-compatible". Mine still reads "smc-napa". The part I changed was under keys/REV. Got the correct SMC version from a real MBP with same EFI Boot ROM version from a Linux Bug forum. Under System Information, SMC Version (system): 1.57f16 is correct for Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C.

Where did you find info about " smc-piketon "? Gonna look into that.** Update** Found some info....Thanks for the tip :)

I removed part of the serial number from the smbios.plist. The last 4 numbers there are the important ones. DD6Y denotes a MBP 6,1 i7 17" Mid 2010. Check this Link for making legit serial. I'm using a 12 digit serial.

post-702132-1315482491_thumb.png post-702132-1315482514_thumb.png post-702132-1315484864.png

Hi atlee,

Wow your temps are really high :)

With that windows check it appears there is a issue with your laptop in general. Sorry to here that. Hope you can get some satisfaction from HP.

just in case you are still curious... Here is what you asked for. atlee.zip

I did edit FakeSMC Info.plist. I did not change the "smc-compatible". Mine still reads "smc-napa". The part I changed was under keys/REV. Got the correct SMC version from a real MBP with same EFI Boot ROM version from a Linux Bug forum. Under System Information, SMC Version (system): 1.57f16 is correct for Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C.

Where did you find info about " smc-piketon "? Gonna look into that.

I removed part of the serial number from the smbios.plist. The last 4 numbers there are the important ones. DD6Y denotes a MBP 6,1 i7 17" Mid 2010. Check this Link for making legit serial. I'm using a 12 digit serial.

post-702132-1315482491_thumb.png post-702132-1315482514_thumb.png post-702132-1315484864.png

well if you check macbookpro6,1 DSDT and look for SMC device it says smc-piketon, I did copy a real serial and also changed the REV like you stated to no success did not even drop my temperatures. There is no difference if I run with AppleLPC and IntelCPUPowerManagement or just use NullCPU or Disabler.kext, no difference in temps.

will look into all of this after i try and get HP to fix the heat issue, my guess is it's a very poor design with not much room to breathe and bad gpu+cpu heatsink. I do fix computers myself as a job but i'm not going to try if it's under warranty still :D

Your specs are very close to mine, does your fan run full speed all the time? mines always running...sometimes mega fast hooning noise...

Windows/Mac or Linux doesn't really matter my temps are all the same :)

Your specs are very close to mine, does your fan run full speed all the time? mines always running...sometimes mega fast hooning noise...

Sorry it was no help for you :)

Nope, fan does not run all the time. Speeds up/ slows down depending on temps.

Found some info on smc-piketon, and you are correct. i do have a real 6,1 DSDT and IOReg Dump, will check that out.

However when I just changed "smc-compatible" from napa to piketon.... Temps run a litter hotter and Geekbench a little slower.

Could be from all the reboots. I run it that way for awhile and see how things go.

Glad to here your still under warranty :)

Sorry it was no help for you ;)

Nope, fan does not run all the time. Speeds up/ slows down depending on temps.

Found some info on smc-piketon, and you are correct. i do have a real 6,1 DSDT and IOReg Dump, will check that out.

However when I just changed "smc-compatible" from napa to piketon.... Temps run a litter hotter and Geekbench a little slower.

Could be from all the reboots. I run it that way for awhile and see how things go.

Glad to here your still under warranty :D

i copied your smbios and fakesmc and created my own serial...temps seem to be dropping but will do more testing. fan noise has disappeared for now, i will test it for longer.

tks for the info, why does REV and smc-compatible and serial change things?

***update***

temps are better but still my temps sit at 73 degrees and dont go lower, i'm going to clean the cpu and gpu from the cheap {censored} they have and apply some artic silver 5 thermal paste which is high grade paste and also might look into a cooler like the thermaltake massive23 unit which is meant to drop temps 10c or close by.

anyone else have solutions for getting rid of so much heat? Was also thinking about creating a custom mod cooler that sucks air from the case, still thinking...

I don't actually know. I used a DSDT edited by Madl0n and Chameleon compiled from trunk and used with no parameters (except from -v to check stuff sometimes) and it worked with no issue... I don't have any option in my BIOS for Graphics (even if I wish I had one, to disable one of the cards and save battery)

I figured it out (actually, somebody else did :))

If you are experiencing a sort of weird screen, a bit greenish, half resolution. You will need to fix your DSDT as described here: http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28851.

I figured it out (actually, somebody else did :))

If you are experiencing a sort of weird screen, a bit greenish, half resolution. You will need to fix your DSDT as described here: http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28851.

not all garbled screens are fixed via this dual link dsdt patch. i'm guessing that when your laptop has dual gfx cards example would be ati and intel then a dual patch might work.

hy

I'm asking you if I can apply it to newer i7-2630 mobile processor on

HP DV6-6132sl

that kind of lappie has ATI 6490m hd

audio IDT

realtek lan

in Lion I see all except for realtek and wifi

but wifi is visible in system infos.. but in network preferences I must Activate it.. I try and it never wants to turn it on.

so I suppose in windows bootup the EC register is called by hp driver and the orange led into the wifi status button (that is inside the f12 keypad) change to white..

and in lion there's no way to turn it on.. except (I think) by altering EC register in DSDT

so I read mammooth.. and other guide.. tonumac.. etc..

but no one says how to manually manipulate the o.s.

and here I can't find a guide for the newer releases

Hey guys, so I have been trying to install Lion on my DV8 but I keep getting a kernel panic. I can boot yhe install just fine and install it using the patched 10.7 mach_ kernal nut I can't boot the Macintosh hd disk. It says"panic(CPU 1 caller 0xffffff80002c6936) : "local APIC error, ESR : 64\n"@/sourceCache/xnu/xnu-1699.22.36/osfmk/i386/laptic_native.c : 737" the CPU caller changes each attempeded book I have tried using boot flags Cpus=1 busratio=12 and still it kp's

Hey guys, so I have been trying to install Lion on my DV8 but I keep getting a kernel panic. I can boot yhe install just fine and install it using the patched 10.7 mach_ kernal nut I can't boot the Macintosh hd disk. It says"panic(CPU 1 caller 0xffffff80002c6936) : "local APIC error, ESR : 64\n"@/sourceCache/xnu/xnu-1699.22.36/osfmk/i386/laptic_native.c : 737" the CPU caller changes each attempeded book I have tried using boot flags Cpus=1 busratio=12 and still it kp's

Do not use patched kernel straight away, create lion usb install, install chameleon to the usb, create Extra folder on the root / usb. copy FakeSMC + NullCPUPowermanagement to extras. then install from it.

boot using cpus=1 busratio=12 /mach_kernel

after everything is up then go ahead and install chameleon to the drive, create extra folder, add your kexts especially Fakesmc,nullcpupowermanagement and a patched mach_kernel to the extra's folder then boot using /Extra/mach_kernel.

should be straight forward easy if it's done right.

***Also that error above is basically saying you are not booting with a patched kernel and it is causing lapic error which all insyde bioses create.

Do not use patched kernel straight away, create lion usb install, install chameleon to the usb, create Extra folder on the root / usb. copy FakeSMC + NullCPUPowermanagement to extras. then install from it.

boot using cpus=1 busratio=12 /mach_kernel

after everything is up then go ahead and install chameleon to the drive, create extra folder, add your kexts especially Fakesmc,nullcpupowermanagement and a patched mach_kernel to the extra's folder then boot using /Extra/mach_kernel.

should be straight forward easy if it's done right.

***Also that error above is basically saying you are not booting with a patched kernel and it is causing lapic error which all insyde bioses create.

Okay, so I already have a partition that has lion installed, should I erase it and retry by doing what you are saying?

also did you double check the kernel name named in the Boot partition com.apple.boot.plist matches the modified kernel name you're using now?

I have tried couple of times to install making sure everything i'm doing is correct. So, I have found out that the 10.6.8 update is working perfectly fine with taptun kernel. but i can not see it on the Laptop screen. Out of curiosity i tried to access with VNC and SURPRISE!!! i can have access to the desktop :( So it might give you some clue what is going wrong. Please help. Now I am sure it is possible to install in my laptop but i am doing something or some settings needs to be changed, Can anyone help please?

Thanks

OKAY! I REALLY NEED HELP! So I am trying to get Lion on my hp dv8 and I followed many differentmethods and each one the kernal is wrong even with boot flags cpus=1 and busratio=12 I don't remebr which method it was but I had booted the install disk and got Lion istalled using a patched kernel so I didn't use any boot flags. The only problem is I was not able to boot the lion drive even with the same kernel I booted the intaller with. Can someone give me step by step to exactly everthing I need to do with links to the files I need?

NEWS AND UPDATES

THIS THREAD NEEDS A MODERATOR!

Hey everyone, Mammoth here. I don't want this thread to die and I don't want to leave everyone out in the cold either. So I would like to find someone who can moderate and takeover this thread either indefinitely or until I can return to it (which doesn't look like it's going to be soon, if ever). :D

So the moderator would have to be VERY knowledgable, preferably someone I am familiar with or has been on InsanelyMac for a while now, and could really take this thread to the next level and beyond. I would provide all of my existing source docs I have created and files needed to support this thread and the community.

If this sounds like you and you are up for the challenge, please PM me.

Thanks,

Mammoth

I was wondering if there was any hope for getting the stock wifi card working because even with the old kexts, since 10.6.7 my bcm94321mcp1 wifi card stopped working. it recognized it and picks up signals but wont connect. says network timed out. oh and I deleted wifi and cant get it back. any help?

Hallo everybody, I'm new here.

I want you to know that i've tried every kind of things for install osx on my laptop but nothing. Now i started to reed the mammoth guide and it look kind of good. xD

my laptop is:

HP Pavilion dv6-6131sl

-Processor Intel® Core i5-2410M (2,3 GHz) 2nd gen

-HardDrive 500 GB

-Ram: 4096 MB DDR3 SDRAM

-Chipset Intel® HM65 Express for laptop

someone can help?