[GUIDE] Dell L701X (xps 17 late 2010)

theSlug

460 posts in this topic

Norm,

If your machine is freezing, look at the upper left corner of the screen for a small, black square; if you are quick about it, you may even see it 'grow', as it were. It is actually a video KP (and sometimes it does actually just freeze without the square). My DELL L701x (I7-740QM) did this and the current machine I'm working with, a DELL L702x with a i7-2630QM, 550M and the 1902x1080 3D screen does it, too; the FERMI drivers have some issues. Anyway, there is an APP in the APP store called MACH DESKTOP; if you run it full time it does help (it is weird but it does work - I like the Milky Way) ... I also recommend (1) NOT installing the CUDA drivers (unnecessary for most of us), (2) switching from Safari to Firefox as Safari seems to increase these issues and (3) let the desktop come all the way up after boot before touching the trackpad.

I should mention for those using a Dell Sandy Bridge laptop that it will not from boot a hard drive formatted under MAC OS, FREEBSD or any LINUX. It must a MBR scheme and partitioned under Windows. I wiped out my Dell recovery partition three times (I make a backup before I start so I was able to keep putting it back) before I determined that the partition scheme was confusing the DELL recovery process. Once I forced a Partition from the Windows install disk and use GIMAGEX to recover, it would boot. I have not solved this one yet so I do not have a good system because I have to use the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Legacy Boot CD to boot my install. I do have a 1920x1080x32 display (no QE/CL) by booting with these parms: rd=disk0s2 -v (the -v helps me see failures as they occur during boot every 3 or 4 times I boot the machine). It has only been a week so I am still hopeful of some stability in another couple of days ...

Thanks for that info, I'll certainly give your suggestion a try. Although I did not see any sign of a small black square, I did not purposely look into the corner so it may well of been there ? The only other thing I failed to mention was that after a few seconds the cooling fan would speed up and after around 60 secs or there abouts, the laptop would power down completely. This happened most times but sometimes it would just sit there indefinitely.

I have tried with no network kexts and no sound, I've changed some kexts with the ones Vlad posted aswell and everytime I get the random freeze so your suggestion of NVidia drivers may be correct. Also I played Half Life 2 for around an hour with no freezes, and after I finished playing doing some random web surfing (this forum I think) it froze again. So I think this rules out overheating too.

I will try your suggestion and also the Nvidia stuff Vlad posted up.

Fingers Crossed...

mmm it sounds like stereo channels are messed up.. basses are very loud, the voice (in songs and films) is very low, it has some strange noises (in a forum post you say puk puk puk)

something like that =)

And I have understood you use the old driver.

Install this with support HDMIAudio.

Audio.zip

Thanks for that info, I'll certainly give your suggestion a try. Although I did not see any sign of a small black square, I did not purposely look into the corner so it may well of been there ? The only other thing I failed to mention was that after a few seconds the cooling fan would speed up and after around 60 secs or there abouts, the laptop would power down completely. This happened most times but sometimes it would just sit there indefinitely.

I have tried with no network kexts and no sound, I've changed some kexts with the ones Vlad posted aswell and everytime I get the random freeze so your suggestion of NVidia drivers may be correct. Also I played Half Life 2 for around an hour with no freezes, and after I finished playing doing some random web surfing (this forum I think) it froze again. So I think this rules out overheating too.

I will try your suggestion and also the Nvidia stuff Vlad posted up.

Fingers Crossed...

Send me your AGPM.kext,smbios.plist.And what video card device id.

Ok I will send all as soon as I can.

Did you update your nvidia drivers to the latest ones that you posted ? It looks like a lot of people are having problems updating to them according to the comments on netkas website.

*Edit

It seems that the Tony Mac update 2 have the exact same drivers inside, which is the ones I installed anyway.

Ok I will send all as soon as I can.

Did you update your nvidia drivers to the latest ones that you posted ? It looks like a lot of people are having problems updating to them according to the comments on netkas website.

*Edit

It seems that the Tony Mac update 2 have the exact same drivers inside, which is the ones I installed anyway.

I have they cost a week, there are no problems.

everytime i plug out the USB mouse from the 2 rear usb ports it gaves this error.. left and right side usb ports work.. how can i resolve this? thanks

panic.jpg

I shall check up at myself in the evening.

I have too so. :P

what can it be? it happens only with usb mouse.. not with usb drivers or external hard disks...

anyway.. i tried your applehda and ioaudiofamily..

and is very very better than the old applehda.. but some songs (i guess is a channel "problem") sound is quite disturbed, like a vibration.. i mean like an old and very used 3.5 jack..

is it only my problem?

vladlenas:

I've attached my extra folder with smbios... etc in and ioreg dump.

Also the nvidia device id in system profiler is as follow:

GeForce GT 445M:

Chipset Model:	GeForce GT 445M
 Type:	GPU
 Bus:	PCIe
 Slot:	Slot-1
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	3072 MB
 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:	0x0dd2
 Revision ID:	0x00a1
 ROM Revision:	70.06.0E.01.01
 Displays:
Display:
 Resolution:	1600 x 900
 Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Built-In:	Yes
Display Connector:

I think that's what you requested ?

vladlenas:

I've attached my extra folder with smbios... etc in and ioreg dump.

Also the nvidia device id in system profiler is as follow:

GeForce GT 445M:

Chipset Model:	GeForce GT 445M
  Type:	GPU
  Bus:	PCIe
  Slot:	Slot-1
  PCIe Lane Width:	x16
  VRAM (Total):	3072 MB
  Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID:	0x0dd2
  Revision ID:	0x00a1
  ROM Revision:	70.06.0E.01.01
  Displays:
Display:
  Resolution:	1600 x 900
  Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Main Display:	Yes
  Mirror:	Off
  Online:	Yes
  Built-In:	Yes
Display Connector:

I think that's what you requested ?

But I do not see your files.

Your ioreg.dump not readable.Open IORegistryExplorer.app next File/Save as/Save.

I just used the terminal to output ioreg to a dump file, I didn't know about that program thanks :thumbsup_anim:

I've now added my GT445M device id to the applegraphicspowermanagement.kext and also updated to the correct strings for my memory sticks in smbios.plist. I don't expect these to solve the freezing but I suspect it is better to have the correct values entered.

Here is the file generated by the program you sent me:

*adding device id to the applegraphicspowermanagement.kext caused frequent kernal panics and freezes playing games, so reverted. That could be down to an error on my part as I may not of done it correctly, i'll leave it out for now.

ioreg.zip

I just used the terminal to output ioreg to a dump file, I didn't know about that program thanks :guitar:

I've now added my GT445M device id to the applegraphicspowermanagement.kext and also updated to the correct strings for my memory sticks in smbios.plist. I don't expect these to solve the freezing but I suspect it is better to have the correct values entered.

Here is the file generated by the program you sent me:

Ok,tomorrow.

Hi,

This is my first posting in this thread. I already have a HP dv8t-1200 which I'm trying to sell. I wanted to go with the Sandy Bridge Dell L702x [XPS 17 3D or XPS 17] and it looks promising with Snow Leopard as Dell L701x is almost identical to L702x. I have several questions on L702x and here is my customized configuration that I would like to buy:

XPS 17 3D

========

PROCESSOR 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2820QM processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.40 GHz

OPERATING SYSTEM Windows® Home Premium, 64-Bit

HD DISPLAY 17.3" FHD (1080p) 3D Display with 2.0MP HD Webcam & Facial Recognition

3D GLASSES NVIDIA 3D Vision glasses (1 pair)

MEMORY 16GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory

VIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M 3GB graphics

BATTERY OPTIONS 90 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

HARD DRIVE 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Tray Load Blu-ray® Triple Writer (reads and writes CDs, DVDs, BDs)

WIRELESS + BLUETOOTH Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000

SOUND OPTIONS JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 + Creative SoundBlaster X-FI MB 1.2

Integrated Network Adapter Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card

a. The CPU has 8MB cache and I wanted to confirm Snow Leopard recognizes i7-2820QM with 8MB cache.

b. Will SL recognizes Full HD resolution (1920x1080) with native QE/CI support?

c. I read in forums that Intel HD 3000 is disabled if going for 3D. Don't know why. Is this true?

d. Will Nvidia GT 555M work natively with Full HD?

e. What about speakers - JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 + Creative SoundBlaster X-FI MB 1.2?

f. I also wanted to have Bluetooth with Dell Wireless N card. Which card is supported natively in SL?

g. Sleep, Wake up?

h. Network card?

i. Backlit keyboard?

Is it heavy? I wanted to carry it to school. :P . My dv8t is very heavy.

XPS 17

=====

PROCESSOR 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2820QM processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.40 GHz

OPERATING SYSTEM Windows® Home Premium, 64-Bit

HD DISPLAY 17.3" FHD (1080p) with 2.0MP HD Webcam & Facial Recognition

3D GLASSES GeForce 3D Stereo Glasses Kit

MEMORY 8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory

VIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M 3GB graphics with Optimus

BATTERY OPTIONS 90 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

HARD DRIVE 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Tray Load Blu-ray® Triple Writer (reads and writes CDs, DVDs, BDs)

WIRELESS + BLUETOOTH Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000

SOUND OPTIONS JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 + Creative SoundBlaster X-FI MB 1.2

KEYBOARD Backlit Keyboard - English

Although not a hackintosh related question, does anybody know the difference between 17.3" FHD (1080p) 3D Display with 2.0MP HD Webcam & Facial Recognition on XPS 17 3D with 3D GLASSES NVIDIA 3D Vision glasses (1 pair) vs 17.3" FHD (1080p) with 2.0MP HD Webcam & Facial Recognition with GeForce 3D Stereo Glasses Kit.

Please advice.

Thanks.