• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

stellarola

stellarola

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Granted, but given the "theoretical" speeds I would expect more. Even the AJA Test System only reports a doubling of speed. I guess I'm just a speed junky, lol.

USB 2.0 . USB 3.0

Does the system sleep after plugging in the USB 3.0 device?

-Stell

Going Bald

Going Bald

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Does the system sleep after plugging in the USB 3.0 device?

-Stell

I don't let the system sleep, in general - I usually shut it down because the LG drive wakes it up anyway. Let me unplug it and I'll get back to you.

I don't let the system sleep, in general - I usually shut it down because the LG drive wakes it up anyway. Let me unplug it and I'll get back to you.

OK, unplugged LG drive and booted back up. Double check energy settings - yep everything checked to shut off when it goes to sleep. Put it to sleep from the apple / sleep button. Worked fine. Went to kitchen, filled quart jar with handle on it with new ice, add water and a bit of lemon juice for flavour, turn on tv and watch tv guide scroll awhile to see what's on - nope, nothing on worth watching, as usual - waited about 15 minutes - that's should be enough time. Walked back to desk and rolled the ball in the Logitech trackball and the system woke up. Drive still shows on desktop, opens with finder - yep seems everything works OK. Course, that could just be my system, too. I would say that if sleep works for you now without the kext file and USB 3.0 drive, it ought to work with the kext file and the USB 3.0 drive plugged in.

stellarola

stellarola

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

OK, unplugged LG drive and booted back up. Double check energy settings - yep everything checked to shut off when it goes to sleep. Put it to sleep from the apple / sleep button. Worked fine. Went to kitchen, filled quart jar with handle on it with new ice, add water and a bit of lemon juice for flavour, turn on tv and watch tv guide scroll awhile to see what's on - nope, nothing on worth watching, as usual - waited about 15 minutes - that's should be enough time. Walked back to desk and rolled the ball in the Logitech trackball and the system woke up. Drive still shows on desktop, opens with finder - yep seems everything works OK. Course, that could just be my system, too. I would say that if sleep works for you now without the kext file and USB 3.0 drive, it ought to work with the kext file and the USB 3.0 drive plugged in.

Do you think you'd be able to send me your ioreg and possibly the messages from your console when the system went to sleep/woke.

Thanks

-Stell

dasdasein

dasdasein

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It's working very well for me now with a no-name PCI-Card and an external USB 3.0 HD.
The missing hint was that I had to rebuild the cache (used pfix for that).
Thanks!!
Posted Image

Jack F

Jack F

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I've installed the LaCie drivers, replaced the PXHCD inside the PXHCD.kext and restarted,
and USB Super-Speed bus is showing up in System Profiler.

But I still get this error message showing up in the dmesg log:
PXHCD 0x82e98000::UIMCreateControlTransfer - Super Speed device other than LaCie is not supported - Vendor ID[152d]

I'm trying this with a Vantec USB 3.0 Hard drive dock, and using a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard.

The dock works fine at USB 2 speeds plugged into one of the USB 2 ports.

Any ideas?

It's working very well for me now with a no-name PCI-Card and an external USB 3.0 HD.
The missing hint was that I had to rebuild the cache (used pfix for that).
Thanks!!
Posted Image

Just wanted to add that I downloaded and ran pfix after seeing this post, and it's working for me now as well - the USB dock works plugged into the USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard and I managed 103.0MB/sec write and 104.8MB/sec read testing with AJA System Test.

Rx4Mac

Rx4Mac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
I just finished tests with Modbin's patched PXHCD in the LaCie kext. I am using a CalDigit USB3 card.

The key ( as stated by dasdasein... Thank You!) was to rebuild the cache using pfix v 3.1 after repairing permissions.

All tests were done with a Seagate ST3500630AS 1.5TB drive using AJA System Test

32-bit Kernel

SATA tests were done with the drive connected to motherboard SATA
USB2 tests were done with the drive connected to motherboard USB2
FW400 tests were done with the drive connected to motherboard FW400

USB3 tests were done with the drive connected to CalDigit card

The USB2 and FW400 external drive case is a MacAlly G-S350SUA
The USB3 external drive case is a MacAlly NSA-S350U3

USB3 wins by a large margin! (I will have to move some things around to test FW800, but I will post that when I can)

Summary:

USB3 121.7 MB/s Write 127.6 MB/s Read

SATA 65.8 MB/s Write 68.9 MB/s Read

FW400 30.4 MB/s Write 39.8 MB/s Read

USB2 31.8 MB/s Write 37.2 MB/s Read

Special Thanks to Modbin, Cartri, and stellarola ( for getting me into hackintosh's )

Attached File  USB3_Speed_Test.jpg   65.18KB   89 downloads

Attached File  SATA_Speed_Test__MB_.jpg   63.68KB   43 downloads

Attached File  FW400_Speed_Test.jpg   58.19KB   27 downloads

Attached File  USB2_Speed_Test.jpg   59.27KB   28 downloads

RemoteWorks

RemoteWorks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

I just finished tests with the Modbin's patched PXHCD in the LaCie kext. I am using a CalDigit USB3 card.

The key ( as stated by dasdasein... Thank You!) was to rebuild the cache using pfix v 3.1 after repairing permissions.

All tests were done with a Seagate St3500630AS 1.5TB drive using AJA System Test

Summary:

USB3 121.7 MB/s Write 127.6 MB/s Read

SATA 65.8 MB/s Write 68.9 MB/s Read

FW400 30.4 MB/s Write 39.8 MB/s Read

USB2 31.8 MB/s Write 37.2 MB/s Read

Special Thanks to Modbin, Cartri, and stellarola ( for getting me into hackintosh's )

That's weird, your Sata speed's are very low, they should at least be the same as Usb 3.0 when using a Sata 2 controller.

RW

BartMan01

BartMan01

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Kernel Panic with Maxtor One Touch II 200GB USB2.0 drive.

Getting the KP with both the Lacie and patched drivers. GB-X58A-UD5 2.0 motherboard. Drive shows up as attached to the super-speed bus and then the system kernel panics.

Rx4Mac

Rx4Mac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Strange - I just did a test using my earlier setup... but with
the 64-bit kernel

The write for USB3 is much slower, while the read is in the same range.

USB3 66.2MB/s write 119.7 MB/s read

curious...

but then again my slower than expected SATA test speeds are also curious.

Any/all ideas welcome!

Going Bald

Going Bald

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Do you think you'd be able to send me your ioreg and possibly the messages from your console when the system went to sleep/woke.

Thanks

-Stell

Here's the registry explorer file.

Attached Files

Rx4Mac

Rx4Mac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Does anyone have a Non-Cartri BIOS EP45-UD3P with a Seagate 750 or 1500 GB SATA drive that they could do a Disk Read/Write test on ? ( using AJA System Test v 3.1 with a 1.0GB file size and a video frame Size of 720x486 8bit )

Attached File  AJASystemTest.zip   673.08KB   143 downloads

I am trying to determine where the issue is with my relatively slow motherboard SATA II speeds.

I am currently getting speeds in the same range as FW800, when I should be getting significantly faster speeds.

( See my previous posts in this topic )

Thank You!

RemoteWorks

RemoteWorks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Does anyone have a Non-Cartri BIOS EP45-UD3P with a Seagate 750 or 1500 GB SATA drive that they could do a Disk Read/Write test on ? ( using AJA System Test v 3.1 with a 1.0GB file size and a video frame Size of 720x486 8bit )

Attached File  AJASystemTest.zip   673.08KB   143 downloads

I am trying to determine where the issue is with my relatively slow motherboard SATA II speeds.

I am currently getting speeds in the same range as FW800, when I should be getting significantly faster speeds.

( See my previous posts in this topic )

Thank You!

I see that you have a raptor hd, what speeds are you getting on that drive?

RW

Rx4Mac

Rx4Mac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Great Question RemoteWorks!

And you may have solved the puzzle in part too!

And, for more completeness...

FW800 test using Seagate SATA 750GB connected to StarTech FW 800 Card PEX1394B

Attached File  FW800_Speed_Test__750_Seagate__.jpg   63.3KB   85 downloads

300GB VelociRaptor connected to Motherboard SATA

Attached File  SATA_MB_Raptor_Speed_Test.jpg   58.12KB   90 downloads

THIS SATA result is more in line with what I would expect.. Therefore I suspect the issue is with the Seagate drives
vs the MB or Cartri's BIOS

Thanks for the question RW!

( and no, I have no jumpers on the seagates forcing them to SATA I )

J Lamp

J Lamp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
Nicely done Modbin, thank you!

My cheap USB3 interface still reports 480mb/s when plugged in to the USB3 port, but is almost three times faster on the AJA System test than when plugged into USB2.

Same speeds in 32 or 64 bit kernel modes.

It's not as fast as my eSata, but I'm using the old 5400 RPM drive from my macbook for testing, so no complaints.

Now if someone could only port the Marvell 9128 . . .

(built in USB3 Gigabyte X58A-UD7 (Rev 1))

Going Bald

Going Bald

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Nicely done Modbin, thank you!

I second that motion - with the USB 3.0 ports now working, the Marvell 9128 is the only thing left that doesn't work on my UD7 rev 1.0.

cartri

cartri

Just a Cone

• Donators
  • 407 posts

Is the marvell under AHCI mode?

RemoteWorks

RemoteWorks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Great Question RemoteWorks!

And you may have solved the puzzle in part too!

And, for more completeness...

FW800 test using Seagate SATA 750GB connected to StarTech FW 800 Card PEX1394B

300GB VelociRaptor connected to Motherboard SATA

THIS SATA result is more in line with what I would expect.. Therefore I suspect the issue is with the Seagate drives
vs the MB or Cartri's BIOS

Thanks for the question RW!

( and no, I have no jumpers on the seagates forcing them to SATA I )

Hmm, try testing the Seagate on the same sata port as the Raptor, but i think it's more likely related to the Seagate hard disk and not the Mb or Catri's bios.
Also confirm that Spotlight is not indexing while testing the drive.

RW

cartri

cartri

Just a Cone

• Donators
  • 407 posts

Hmm, try testing the Seagate on the same sata port as the Raptor, but i think it's more likely related to the Seagate hard disk and not the Mb or Catri's bios.
Also confirm that Spotlight is not indexing while testing the drive.

RW

ditto, can you explain in which port are you using the seagate?
As the bios is emulating the whole macpro 4,1 ich10 sata ahci, id suggest you to use the third port (PRT2) as the 1 1st ports could be reserved for dvds.

Going Bald

Going Bald

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Is the marvell under AHCI mode?

It shows up in profiler as "Unknown AHCI controller"

cartri

cartri

Just a Cone

• Donators
  • 407 posts

It shows up in profiler as "Unknown AHCI controller"

And your hard disks dont work in them?
I have a marvell ahci controller on the Asus U3S6 expansion card and it works out of the box

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy