Resolution:	1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz
 Depth:	32-bit Color
 Core Image:	Not Supported
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Not Supported

)

I'd like to raise a bit the resolution 1280x1024 @ 85 Hz would be great(so far i couldn't do that :compress: without getting the outh of sync black screen :( ).Any ideas please :idea:

I have a problem. I started to install the Callisto and my computer lost power. I now have it freeze up on the lower half of the monitor (doesn't move at all) and the top half is the desktop split into 5 sections and over layed on top of each other. I have no clue how to fix this, can anyone help me? I tried to find a way into a safe mode and hoped it would just display some basic driver, but I can't find a way into safe mode. any help there?

it doesn't matter if it gets fixed and Callisto in then installed, or if it is totally removed. Either is fine with me. I just don't want to spend another 6 hours instalkling and updating and getting the system back to the way it was. =( Sorry for the attached picture for being so small, I had to use a camera phone =/ my digi cam broke last year and I never got around to buying a new one.

I have an ATI Radeon AIW 9000 (RV250) 64MB with VESA v2.0 video card.

*UPDATE* I got it working. I just booted up again and for boot up options i just used the "-s". I then followed the text on screen to continue in single user mode. I then started over from step 1, following the guide again. It worked. =) no I have it installed and I feel smart becuase I figured it out myself. (:P)

Thanks!

- Dustin

post-53005-1157091601.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest goodtime
goodtime: what does that zip do?

im investigating installing osx for a friend with a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D7850, with Radeon Mobility 9200 IGP.

It is an AppleScript Installer that enables 2D Acceleration for users with ATI Radeon 9200 Mobility using modifed 8500 drivers, ATIDRV framebuffer, AGPGart 2.0 light, and Callisto b003. The only parts of the drivers that are modified the the .plist hacks. It was created as an installer instead of writing a guide on how to get the 2D Acceleration to work. Some people were confused and I didn't have a concise guide written. A month later, I added additional tweaks incase I need to reinstall 10.4.6. I recently added a few other things like removing a SMC_ACPI platform plugin. It does not load. It also installs a timeout of 15 seconds and "-v" to the boot.plist. AC97 sound tweaks for the Compaq X1000. Sometimes sound comes out scratchy, and this installer fixes that the issue.

The AppleScript is editable and you get see what it is doing in the Script Editor. It's a rough draft, but it does work on my laptop. I am planning on cleaning up the code soon. It needs some variables, lists, repeat loops, backup and restore kext's, repair permissions and additional error checking.

What it does NOT do is QE or OpenGL. Haven't been able to get either to work.

With the 2D Acceleration, Quicktime Movies play much better. In most cases at full 24fps. With an SSE2 There are still a few slowdown's with some of Apple's new widescreen QT movies and TV Shows at 640 x 360 up scaled to full screen @ (1650 x 1050). There is a big difference between the Hack .plist files and running JaS stock 10.4.6. For instance, if a QT move plays at 8 fps at Normal Size without the hack, it will most likely run at 24 fps with the hack.

What NOT to do if you have an SSE2 processor: Do NOT install QT 7.1.3 or iTunes 7. Use QT 7.1.2 and iTunes 6.0.5 instead.

It has only been tested with the CompaqX1000 with a ATI 9200 Radeon 64 MB Card. Someone with a Dell Dimension did get it running correctly.

Be careful when running the Script. It currently does NOT backup the Extensions folder yet or Repair Permissions [yet].

GT

Goodtime: thats perfect for my needs. My friend has the Amilo D7850, which I beleive has a Radeon Mobility 9200, SSE2 Northwood P4 processor and SIS 7012 audio, so your script sounds pretty much perfect to get 2D accel working.

One last question - have you tried Aperture on your notebook? Can you give us any indication of how well / poorly it runs? My friend is primarily interested in tinkering with Aperture. Of course, the 1.5 version due out today should bring some performance improvements too, since it now officially supports the Mini and the MacBook. ;)

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation - much appreciated.

Guest goodtime
Goodtime: thats perfect for my needs. My friend has the Amilo D7850, which I beleive has a Radeon Mobility 9200, SSE2 Northwood P4 processor and SIS 7012 audio, so your script sounds pretty much perfect to get 2D accel working.

One last question - have you tried Aperture on your notebook? Can you give us any indication of how well / poorly it runs? My friend is primarily interested in tinkering with Aperture. Of course, the 1.5 version due out today should bring some performance improvements too, since it now officially supports the Mini and the MacBook. :D

Munky,

Do you know if Aperture 1.5 will need QE and/or CI to run?

I haven't tried Aperture on the Notebook yet. I have it on my SSE3 desktop. I will get back to you and let you know in the next couple days on Aperture.

Thanks,

GT

Guest goodtime

One last question - have you tried Aperture on your notebook? Can you give us any indication of how well / poorly it runs? My friend is primarily interested in tinkering with Aperture. Of course, the 1.5 version due out today should bring some performance improvements too, since it now officially supports the Mini and the MacBook. :)

Aperture 1.1 does launch, but the main viewer window is blank.

Gimpshop does work without any problems under X11.

Munky,

Do you know if Aperture 1.5 will need QE and/or CI to run?

I haven't tried Aperture on the Notebook yet. I have it on my SSE3 desktop. I will get back to you and let you know in the next couple days on Aperture.

Thanks,

GT

Just a heads up, Aperture 1.5 needs 10.4.8.

Ok... I am having a hard time setting up this Callisto driver. I have a Mobility Radeon 9600/9700 w/ 64MB VRAM. Is there a way to install the callisto drivers without having to boot up the GUI? Should I use single mode (-s) to do this or is this possible thru the Installer. I am currently using JaS 10.4.7.

:D

Guru

Guest goodtime
Just a heads up, Aperture 1.5 needs 10.4.8.

You can use 10.4.7 but you need the cracked version for Aperture from Demonoid.

1.5 Will not run on unsupported video cards (ones with no QE/CI).

Running 10.4.8 now, but File Sharing is dead right now. Working on a fix.

Edit: JaS 10.4.8 update from JaS 10.4.7 works smooth! Haven't reloaded Aperture 1.5 yet.

Edit2: Loaded Aperture 1.1 then upgraded to Aperture 1.5 through software update. Works Great on 10.4.8

GT

Guest goodtime
so you're saying Aperture is a no go on my friend's notebook?

dammit.

Aperture 1.1 will without the preview window. It gives a warning about an unsupported graphics card, but it lets the user continue. Aperture 1.5 won't continue without QE/CI working. It gives only a quit button. The 9200 can't do CI, and QE is presently not working on the 9200. I doubt it can run at this time. Maybe he can save up for a Macbook? :poster_oops:

It is truly amazing how fast technlogy goes and how slow dollars come in to buy new technology. I am at the point of not buying a new computer for a very long time. Hope my G4, G3 Powerbook and two iHacks live long and prosper. My G3 Powerbook has shown signs of extinction. It cannot play Apple's new iTunes videos at a useable speed.

Whoa. Sorry. I've been gone for quite some time (as you probably have guessed... again). :D

goodtime - the benchmark results arnt anything to be pleased about, but again, this guide was only for the people who just couldn't get anything else to work. When I do run some later, I'll let you know, but again its no great shakes. I'm fairly sure its hardware rendering as well (for what its worth, itunes renders visualizations at ~25fps (1gb ram, 2.8ghz P4, radeon 9000 128mb))

Aperture as you guys have said is.... usable.. but seeing as how its desiged to work with CI its no surprise that its not a speed demon (or very functional)... guess I'll have to stick with iPhoto. I'd be curious to see how Adobe Lightroom fares with this setup...

p-J16 - I have the radeon 9000 (M9 chipset, non IGP) with device ID 4c66.

Oh, and goodtime, thanks for your X1000 zip - ill try it tonight.

Guest goodtime

Cpt:

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking for a way to get Hardware OpenGL Acceleration working on the Radeon 9200 Mobility, but haven't been able to crack that nut. Only been able to get 2D Accel working on the 9200 Mobility.

After QT 7.1.3/iTunes 7 runs only on SSE3 or using Rosetta PowerPC Emulation on SSE2 processors. I've sort of given up on getting OpenGL working on an SSE2 processor.

Currently back using my SSE3 box for future testing and fixes and stands the best chance of getting 10.5 running. I don't plan on using anything beyond 10.4.6 on my SSE2 machine.

Let us know if you find any new with 2D/3D Acceleration. Thanks!

gt

I'd be curious to see how Adobe Lightroom fares with this setup...

I'd be willing to bet that Lightroom will run. I'll have to give it a shot. Still partial to Aperture. I guess you get used to what you used 1st. I am going to try out Lightroom anyways, just to see if it works.

Edit: Lightroom loads. Have to test it out and see how it runs. Will post back l8r.

Gimpshop runs good on my CompaqX1000 laptop.

GT

Screw Callisto... can I get VESA instead?

Guru

You should have VESA 2.0 or 3.0 already without Callisto. Not sure what you mean. Note: Sleep does work with VESA drivers, but you can only get certain resolutions and to my knowledge, no acceleration. Sleep does not work with Callisto, but gives multiple resolutions and can be used in conjunction with ATINDRV.kext and ATI Radeon drivers to get partial or full video Acceleration.

gt

Oh, and goodtime, thanks for your X1000 zip - ill try it tonight.

Before running, backup your current extensions, my current script does not do that yet. Just incase it breaks something.

I have been reading, and trying, searching, and reading, and trying some more, and I'm ready to pull my hair out!

I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 with an ATI Radeon 9700 (128mb). I have obtained the JaS 10.4.7 DVD and installed. Everything works fine except the video. I am using the Callisto 003 build as of right now.

I am posting to ask if I am correct in my thinking here, because I have gone thru so many threads that I am not sure which way is up.

So I can either have QE/CI with "mouse tearing", or I can drop the QE/CI and have no "mouse tearing". Is that correct?

I have gotten to the point where system profiler says that it's a Radeon 9600/9700, with QE/CI supported, but it's still saying PCI instead of AGP. If I get it to say AGP, it disables QE/CI.

I honestly think the ATI part of my "drivers" are just fine and this is purely just a chipset issue, because it tells me that SMART is not supported for my HD, however this hard drive does have SMART.

Any help would be appreciated, I would like to get this working without having the annoying mouse tearing effect.

Guest goodtime
I have been reading, and trying, searching, and reading, and trying some more, and I'm ready to pull my hair out!

I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 with an ATI Radeon 9700 (128mb). I have obtained the JaS 10.4.7 DVD and installed. Everything works fine except the video. I am using the Callisto 003 build as of right now.

I am posting to ask if I am correct in my thinking here, because I have gone thru so many threads that I am not sure which way is up.

So I can either have QE/CI with "mouse tearing", or I can drop the QE/CI and have no "mouse tearing". Is that correct?

I have gotten to the point where system profiler says that it's a Radeon 9600/9700, with QE/CI supported, but it's still saying PCI instead of AGP. If I get it to say AGP, it disables QE/CI.

I honestly think the ATI part of my "drivers" are just fine and this is purely just a chipset issue, because it tells me that SMART is not supported for my HD, however this hard drive does have SMART.

Any help would be appreciated, I would like to get this working without having the annoying mouse tearing effect.

StillFunkyB:

I am not really sure if the SMART HD function has anything to do with your GPU/Video Drivers, but I've been wrong before.

You are correct about QE/CI and Mouse Tearing vs. No Mouse Tearing and no QE/CI. There seems to be a side effect of using Apple's Drivers for ATI Cards.

So far the only GPUs that I know that have no Mouse Tearing are GMA900 / 950's.

You might want to find a thread on 9600 / 9700 cards as this thread is mostly about 9200 and 9200 Mobility (4c66) cards that use the 8500 driver instead of the 9700 driver.

Best of luck to you,

gt

Munky - I can't get the previews to work with Aperture (yet), I'm working on that now and if I can get it going I'll post details on how to get it set up!

Goodtime - Thanks for the X1000 zip file, it looks like its a pretty good way to get some basic 3d accel running at lower resolutions. I tried it - it works great but I personally prefer to run at 1400x1050 (which doesn't work so well with the X1000 kexts :) )

Lightroom was a bit on the slow side for me but it still worked, I didn't probe around too much but it never crashed in the testing I did.

As far as I can see, it looks like a losing battle to get QE/CI working on these cards, but I'm not going to give up yet. Should I be able to whip something up, I'll let you guys know.