Core2Duo (Conroe) chipsets and chipsets for OSx86

bofors

349 posts in this topic

Aw, my bad, I meant PATA of course :angel:

Yeah, prolly (almost sure) Apple will adopt the 965 chipset, but nothing says that Apple will continue using the PATA interface. So we are fairly screwed about our optical drives, unless we buy SATA ones or use a PATA to SATA converter (I know they work on hard discs, never tested on a dvd-rw drive).

And we don't know either if the new kexts will work on our current installations, or they will eventually break our system.

Hi :)

I got new Conroe setup with ABit AB9 Pro

No boot from IDE channel with my dvd, no surprise :angel: Got an adaptor to change the drive to sata and it boots, but shows me the cross thing after sitting at apple screen as if it was a cd which wasn't patched, except mine are 10.4.5 and 10.4.6 myzar and jaz versions or something :blink: those of which booted fine on my AMD64

I wish I could get it running :( one of reasons I upgraded my pc :D

I got new Conroe setup with ABit AB9 Pro

Great, AnandTech recently review this board here: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2799

Which Conroe do you have?

No boot from IDE channel with my dvd, no surprise :thumbsdown_anim: Got an adaptor to change the drive to sata and it boots, but shows me the cross thing after sitting at apple screen as if it was a cd which wasn't patched, except mine are 10.4.5 and 10.4.6 myzar and jaz versions or something

Again, I think that Apple will likely solve this 965 issue either by supporting these PATA/IDE chips or SATA-DVD. But I certainly could be wrong.

I wish I could get it running.

We can work around the DVD problem by installing off the hard drive instead. However, since you already have an OSx86, have tried just booting off your previous AMD installation?

Otherwise, just put your Conroe harddrive in your AMD box, install OSx86 on it and then move it back into your Conroe box.

yeah i expected it wouldnt boot of PATA but hopefully i new update from Apple will fix this ie a new IOATAFamily.kext

It gets some boot.plist error off PATA

Does anyone know how to get this installed?! I don't see why it should deny accesss to install as my disks are pre-patched :thumbsdown_anim:

I have the E6600 2.4GHz 4MB L2 :)

My board has a dead sata port so I may have a chance to get it changed to another model if the retailer will let me if this isn't gonna work. I need OS X on my conroe! :police:

Again, we should be to work around the DVD problem by using hard drives. See what I posted above.

Now in the Conroe setup its stuck at "Still waiting for root device" :police::thumbsdown_anim: Looks like Arcanis was right about this

Move your working hard drive back to your AMD box. Create at two partitions on it. Using Disk Utility's Restore function copy the OS X Install DVD onto the first partition. Put it back into your Conroe box and try booting off it.

Don't know if it just happened to me, but doing that with disc utility never wrote a working boot sector nor it did carbon copy and all the other clone utilities.

You could also put your drive on a PC that lets you install, then put that disk back on your conroe setup. To see if at least SATA is working, but I'm pretty sure you will need to do a lot of plist editing.

Don't know if it just happened to me, but doing that with disc utility never wrote a working boot sector nor it did carbon copy and all the other clone utilities.

I have created OS X Install DVD clone partitions before but I have used the image that downloaded (not a DVD) for the source and I was working with PPC Macs.

It's supposed to work well on PPC Macs, I read a lot on the internet about it because I wanted a bootable partition of my backup, but never could do it.

I came to the conclusion that disk utility is still writing the boot sector in a PPC style, so our hackintoshes doesn't recognize it. And all the restore applications I tried were PPC apps too.. so maybe they share the same issue.

By the way Graeme43, you said you tried to boot from the DVD using a IDE to SATA converter on it, but got the "Still waiting for root device" error. I would be quite sure you get that error because your device id isnt on the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext (which is inside of the IOATAFamily.kext). You could try to patch this kext and make a new install DVD (use a DVD-RW media to try), if it just works with a kext plist editing is because the sata controller works in the same way that earlier southbridges.

By the way Graeme43, you said you tried to boot from the DVD using a IDE to SATA converter on it, but got the "Still waiting for root device" error. I would be quite sure you get that error because your device id isnt on the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext (which is inside of the IOATAFamily.kext). You could try to patch this kext and make a new install DVD (use a DVD-RW media to try), if it just works with a kext plist editing is because the sata controller works in the same way that earlier southbridges.

Using a IDE to SATA connector on the DVD drive and trying to boot gives me still waiting for root device.

I installed to the HD in a AMD64 machine and that also gives the error in the Conroe as well

The install is fine and I could access it to modify anything to try on a real Mac if that helps :)

I tried booting it through USB and it BOOTS through USB adaptor!!!! but man is it slow!!!! (The installed HD and the DVD never booted)

10.4.5 works with with both cores!

Bus Speed = 1.08GHZ, CPU speed= 3.07ghz is what it reports.. Just lettin ya know :) funny how it detects them different to the setups in the links that were posted

I can't seem to get online.. onboard ethernet not working and nor is my pci card which works on the AMD pc :)

No sound either, gonna have to use the iMic again!

You could try to patch this kext and make a new install DVD (use a DVD-RW media to try), if it just works with a kext plist editing is because the sata controller works in the same way that earlier southbridges.

Wouldn't it be easier if he just tried to patch his working OS X installation first?

Also, I am wondering if there are any cheap IDE/PATA PCI cards know to work that could be used to bypass the ICH8 chipset issue here.

Wouldn't it be easier if he just tried to patch his working OS X installation first?

Also, I am wondering if there are any cheap IDE/PATA PCI cards know to work that could be used to bypass the ICH8 chipset issue here.

Well I can't get sata drives to work under OS X while booting off the installed drive in USB because thats the only way it works right now

I'm gonna try my dads IDE PCI card later once I can get a hold of it. Still can't figure out how my network card works on amd but not conroe and its picked up on both, just cant get an ip :)

Latest install is Jas 10.4.6

Arcanis i will be interested in how that idea because my 965 board will be turning up soon

Simon, I have to say that since you do not want to wait for the Conroe related issues to get sorted out, which could take months, that going with a 965 board may be a mistake given the information we now have in hand. You should seriously consider declining the receipt of your board (or just sending it back) and ordering a 975 instead.

Simon, I have to say that since you do not want to wait for the Conroe related issues to get sorted out, which could take months, that going with a 965 board may be a mistake. You should seriously consider declining the receipt of your board (or just sending it back) and ordering a 975 instead.

I asked shop to return my ab9 965 (4 dead sata ports) and I now have new choice of mobo... think i'll get an Asus 975x P5W DH deluxe :( they have great review by anandtech

Hopefully it all goes well with that! :D

Graeme43, which Conroe do you have? Are you planning to overclock?

The ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe looks like a great board, but it also the most expensive. NewEgg has about seven 975 boards listed right now, but only three officially support Conroe:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....SubCategory=280

This thread provides a list of Conroe motherboards: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101408 . It seems that there are only a few 975 boards to choose from:

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

MSI 975X Platinum

DFI Infinity 975X/G

Intel D975XBX "Bad Axe" Rev. 304

Graeme43, which Conroe do you have? Are you planning to overclock?

The ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe looks like a great choice, but it also the most expensive. NewEgg has about seven 975 boards list right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....SubCategory=280

E6600 (2.4ghz, 4MB L2, 9x multi) and yes I would at least like to overclock in the future + multi core support if possible. My AMD64 was a 3000 venice @ 3800

I bought a cheap X1800XT 256MB because it was supported in OS X and it ran great. I got DDR2-800 ram so I could try and get 400x9 clock if I wanted at a later date

ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe is hella expensive I know! Which one do you recommend? I looked at the intel one but it doesn't seem to support very high fsb according to anandtech. I'm gonna order on monday.

ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe is hella expensive I know! Which one do you recommend? I looked at the intel one but it doesn't seem to support very high fsb according to anandtech. I'm gonna order on monday.

I do not see any real bargains here, so I would go with the ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe. However, you might want to search the forum and check the OSxProject's HCL's for the status of the Realtek ALC882M audio and Marvel 88E8053 LAN chips.

I do not see any real bargains here, so I would go with the ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe. However, you might want to search the forum and check the OSxProject's HCL's for the status of the Realtek ALC882M audio and Marvel 88E8053 LAN chips.

I have a realtek 8139 pci lan card which worked nice in my AMD64 machine so it doesn't really matter if onboard lan doesnt work if the pci card does :(

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=18642

Yeah you best bet would be a 975X/ICH7 chipset board. But they are so damn expensive.

If you didn't return your board still you could do some kext editing on your current install to get past the waiting for root device error.

I'll be buying an Asus P5B soon so I'll try to get my OS X install to work, will keep u guys informed.

Yeah you best bet would be a 975X/ICH7 chipset board. But they are so damn expensive.

If you didn't return your board still you could do some kext editing on your current install to get past the waiting for root device error.

I'll be buying an Asus P5B soon so I'll try to get my OS X install to work, will keep u guys informed.

I'll have my old board to around tuesday and that will be the day when I get my new one :P board is going back because of defective sata ports

At least I gain crossfire support, quad core support and few other things :D

Asus added conroe support to the P5LD2 , board rev 2.0 or higher. Found it here on they're site: http://usa.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=3806

Doesn't say how to check the board revision , or how long rev 2.0 boards have been out so who knows if you would get one from newegg etc... The P5LD2 is 945P based and way cheaper than these other boards , they're only like $100 or $150 for the deluxe edition.