• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Thanks MSOK, have recreated the vmk and amended the lines you specified. Now I can get to the shell prompt but cant change the removable device to the OSX retail cd in vmware. The option is greyed out. Also, I have set the removable CD/DVD to be SCSI and not IDE after receiving an EFI error. How do I enable the CD given its greyed out?

Did you use the New Virtual Machine Wizard to create your OS X guestOS, if you used the wizard the only thing you should need to add is the CPUID mask, everything else should be correct. Can I ssuggest you uninstall VMware Workstation and delete the VMware Workstation directory if is still present after you have uninstalled and re-booted. Then re-install Workstation apply Albert's Unlocker, and create a new Apple Mac OS X Guest Operating System using the Wizard. If you are not making progress I will run through the install as I have a Core i7 and retail copy of OS X 10.6.3, and do a quick guide.

Cheers,
MSoK!

freckleface

freckleface

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks MSoK!

Blew away the VMware Desktop installation and reinstalled as well as Albert's unlocker. All working fine now.

Cheers,

Freckleface

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
Good news, had to be something odd either with your Workstation install or the Unlocker did not install completely. One gottcha I found is you must exit Workstation before running the Unlocker otherwise it cannot update the DLL's. I will post the guide probably in a new topic when I get chance hopefully later this week.

Cheers,
MSoK.

evilsquelch

evilsquelch

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
I have been attempting to run "Any" OSX in a vm on my windows7 laptop. I have a T6400 processor and i know that it does not have VT-x support. I continually get the Disable CPU error, and i cannot use the Macosx patch that you supplied. It continues to say that i am not allowed to run it on this machine. I just return to Windows NT setup and go from there.

Is there any specific way to get past this CPU fault even though I do not have a VT-x capable processor? I have been looking around but see nothing specific.
EDIT: by the way i have no CPUID options after applying the patch nor after importing the guest VMX.

I have looked at the tutorial to follow but it stops me at the "if you do not have vt-x" it wont work. I know there has to be a way

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
Without VT-x then Albert's "Unlocker" or Donk's "darwin iso" will work, and the CPUID mask is irrelevant for your processor. Have a look at the following topic, which uses a non Vanilla kernel to remove the need for a VT-x enabled processor, but bare in mind performance is going to be a potential issue.

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1288448

evilsquelch

evilsquelch

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
thank you, From what i have read i don't think it is a good idea to take this route. I downloaded a VM image that ran but was incredibly slow. I ended up going with a Dual boot option that became a triple boot option. All is well now.

thank you for your hard work, I learned a lot from your posts.

aragones

aragones

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey Guys;

So I am having some issues with the CPU error every so often, I am running 10.6.3 Retail on a DELL E6500 with Workstation 7.1.2 build-301548 using the Unlocker. I did add the CPU mask with seems to have cured the error but not all the time, also when trying to do the combo update to 10.6.5 I either get the "power off" your VM black screen message or the update finishes but after 5-10 minutes of boot I get the prohibitive grey stop sign

Any Ideas on what to try? ive attached my Log and VMX files

thx!

Attached Files

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
I do not think your error is related to the CPUID mask, as your processor is not one of the ones that does not work with 10.6.3, so you should be able to remove the CPUID mask. In terms of your VMX looks OK, but the main thing I would change is drop to one processor and one core, rather than the two currently allocated, should not see any performance impact as these are virtual anyway.

Finally I would remove the "monitor.virtual_mmu" and "monitor.virtual_exec" settings altogether, they do not even appear in my "Unlocker" VMX, perhaps only relevant if you are using Donk's darwin iso method.

I assume you have downloaded 10.6.5 combo update, rather than running the software update from within the OS X guest as this installation method is generally more reliable, hopefully with the above changes it will complete successfully, I can confirm it does work, as I was running 10.6.5 on Workstation 7.1.2 and now 7.1.3 using the "Unlocker", maybe worth updating to 7.1.3 at the same time.

aragones

aragones

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I removed the extra lines and CPUID Mask, working on the Update thru the download method now, I will also update the Workstation version as well, what's curious is that I also did a Fresh install a little while ago and that one let me do the software update without issue through the apple updater. No crashes as of yet

thx!

P.S. well bummer it seems the update wont work either way, it finishes but wont fully load after the fact I get the Grey Stop Sign, reverting to a snap works fine, But now im getting the picture attached error

The newer VM i just built seems to be operating better, I think I will move all my stuff to this one instead ;)

Attached Files

cuties

cuties

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm having the same problem.

cuties

cuties

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm having the cpu error.
1. I'v patch using the unlocker.
2. Install snow leopard 10.6.432
3. boot using darwin.iso
4. get cpu error

read the whole post already.

create the VM using the unlocker wizzard doesn't help at all. it doesn't even boot the cdrom.
using VMware 7.1.2 build-301548.

The logs sent are for only the "Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental).vmx"

Attached Files

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
As you are using Albert's "Unlocker" and your CPU should not require the CPUID mask, may I suggest just posting in the one place, i.e. the "Unlocker topic" we will try and help you in that topic.

loozerboyz

loozerboyz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks so much MSOK! The cpuid mask made it so i can use my retail copy 10.6.3. i kept getting the cpu error. now its updated to 10.6.5 and i removed the cpuid mask.

i am still having problems with hanging on grey apple screen every couple of restarts.
also sleep problem i believe. if i dont touch vmware for a little while then snow leopard is basically frozen.
and when i try and go to some websites, snow leopard freezes and all i get is the little colorful spinny icon instead of the mouse.

core i7 920. HP Pavilion Elite HPE-170f. IPMTB-TK mb with the intel x58 express chipset.
vmware 7.0.0 build-203739. host os is win7 x64.

anymore help is much appreciated!

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
The freezing screen is a common problem, you need to go to System Preferences and set Computer sleep and Display sleep to Never.

Also I would update to the latest version of Workstation 7.1.3, but do not forget it in effect does an uninstall of the current version before installing the new version so you need to re-install either Donk's "darwin iso" or Albert's "Unlocker".

loozerboyz

loozerboyz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
cool i will do.

I noticed that whenever i try going to youtube in safari, it pretty much locks up and i have to force quit.
so i got firefox. and firefox works fine. but safari still locks up.??? pretty strange. anyways thanks for your help

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
The problem with Safari is probably the latest version of Flash Player 10.1r102 it does not work due to no support for QE/CI in the VM graphics driver, you neeed to go back to the last working version 10r45, see the post from Zenith432 below:

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1583548

samuraik

samuraik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I want to confirm that my new Lenovo T410 with a Core i5 CPU successfully installed a retail 10.6.3 DVD of Snow Leopard via VMWare Workstation 7.1 on Windows 7 Enterprise.

Thank you very much for the CPUID trick for the VMX file. I used the Snowy_VM files to boot the image. Since the install I have successfully applied the 10.6.5 combo update as well as the iOS 4.2 SDK with no problems.

macgunner

macgunner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
i'm using vmware server on a x64 windows 7 box with a i7-960

the cpu error halts the system every time

i can't change the guest OS in the config file to darwin, because server doesn't recognize it

any ideas where to go from here?

i tried changing the bus speed in the verbose options, still nothing

Attached Files

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
As far as I am aware this will never work, you need to use VMware Player 3.1.3, free download from VMware, as this has support for OS X. You will need Albert's "Unlocker", link below, as well as a retial DVD of OS X, and if it is 10.6.3 the CPUID mask, detailed in this Topic.

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1485873

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
I have been asked the following "My OS X 10.6.6 vm is booting fine in VMWare Workstation 7.1.3 on an i7 920 @ stock ghz. Is there any reason to add your CPUID mask to the .vmx file? When running, OS X just sees some kind of generic VMWare processor, so I'm wondering if maybe some of my cpu features are not being fully utilized." Thanks to Aardo for his request and my response.

No you do not need the CPUID mask, and yes you are correct, it is actually from a Xeon 5520 Processor, but it was created to solve a specific problem, i.e. installing OS X 10.6.3 on a mchaine with a Core i3, i5 or i7 processor, since you are at 10.6.6 it is not relevant, in fact it is not required from 10.6.4 up.

However, since the latest retail OS X DVD is at 10.6.3, a fresh install would fail without the mask until an update to 10.6.4 or later was applied, finally the mask is not required if you have the original retail OS X DVD 10.6.0.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy