ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon

Kabyl

868 posts in this topic

That device id isn't present in the binary, so the kext needs to be patched, and then maybe there is a chance it would work.

I assume you mean put Legacy4800controller.kext in Extra and add my device id to Info.plist. If that's not what you meant, I'd appreciate a step by step description. I will certainly do this, but first I need to clear up some issues with the Cartri bios that I'm running. Apparently, I can't use just any boot loader with Carti. Let me do some research before I try this again. If I can find out what "special stuff" is required, I can decide if I want to continue down this path or flash back to original bios and stabilize that. The journey continues... Thanks for your patience.

Thanks Kabyl- this will be a great addition when added to trunk. Good work!

Tony, thanks for your good work, any ideas how to integrate this into [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]?

I'm using an ASUS P6TV2 Deluxe motherboard with a 920 CPU; my video card is a Sapphire Radeon 5870 Vapor-X, but I believe that aside from the fancy cooler it's a reference design 5870.

After the Chameleon screen, I see the silver-Apple-on-gray-background with the spinning lines below it, but after that the screen goes black. The computer doesn't crash-- I still see the expected disk activity-- but there's no video signal on either DVI port.

Any ideas?

I'm using an ASUS P6TV2 Deluxe motherboard with a 920 CPU; my video card is a Sapphire Radeon 5870 Vapor-X, but I believe that aside from the fancy cooler it's a reference design 5870.

After the Chameleon screen, I see the silver-Apple-on-gray-background with the spinning lines below it, but after that the screen goes black. The computer doesn't crash-- I still see the expected disk activity-- but there's no video signal on either DVI port.

Any ideas?

i am the exact same set up and mine works good...

i am the exact same set up and mine works good...

Hm. In that case the most likely explanation is that my inexperience in Hackintoshing means that I did something stupid (although I've been a programmer for about 30 years now, and worked at Apple in the 80s, this stuff is relatively new to me).

To wit: all I did was replace the "boot" file at the root of my hard drive with the boot file provided in the first message of this thread. I read the entire thread carefully and I cannot see where anything else is necessary; even the chameleon.osx86.hu site notes that replacing this single file is all that's required to upgrade.

And indeed when I boot, I see the version number of the new loader on the Chameleon boot screen.

In my Extras folder are:

AD2000b.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

fakesmc.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

OrangeIconFix.kext

...which I think are all OK. My understanding is that I should not have to modify the boot.plist file at all, although I have tried a couple of different AtiFb params to no effect. Fortunately the system still works with an NVIDIA GTX280 so I have something to fall back on.

hmmm... how did you set he gtx 280 to work...

i moved last week from a gtx285 which i used gtx strings to get it to work so i had to use a new com.apple whatever its called...

set up a clean vanilla install to 10.6.4 using chameleon rc5 -

Used my working osx 10.6.4 with a 9600gt -

installed osx normally

updated using combo update to 10.6.4

updated using dmg to graphics update 1.0

use dgobes installer to set up chameleon

replace the boot file with Kabyl's one...

you can see my setup in my sig... use less kext as there is one where the audio and orange icons are combined... you dont need OpenHaltRestart.kext aslong as using one of ifabios dsdts...

Hello,

If the screen turns black you can try to disconnect and then connect the monitor again.

If it helps you can put your monitor into sleep mode with active corners. (I have to do this by my 2nd hackintosh) :thumbsup_anim:

You can also try to switch the ports.

Greets and i hope this will help you :D

I did a little more testing with my HD5750, both with one and two monitor (DVI). I tried nearly all the framebuffers and I always get the same result: a kernel panic.

I can boot into safe mode without any problems, but when I boot without the -x flag I get a kernel panic. I can't see what's causing it, when booting verbose it doesn't show a message.

I attached an IOReg dump, made in safe mode. I hope that can be of any help.

Edit: Subvendor ID: ATI AIB (1787)

hmmm... how did you set he gtx 280 to work...

Just used the myHack installer. The only extra thing I had to do was run a script to get the audio working for 10.6.4.

The rest of what you did sounds like what I did: clean OS X install, add Graphics Update, etc. I'm not sure what "degobes installer" is, but Chameleon's already there and as I mentioned I just replaced the boot file at the root like you did.

Just used the myHack installer. The only extra thing I had to do was run a script to get the audio working for 10.6.4.

The rest of what you did sounds like what I did: clean OS X install, add Graphics Update, etc. I'm not sure what "degobes installer" is, but Chameleon's already there and as I mentioned I just replaced the boot file at the root like you did.

check what is in your - com.apple.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Default</string>

</dict>

</plist>

i use this thread for my setup...

use ifabios 3.3 dsdt...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=208724

check what is in your - com.apple.Boot.plist

i use this thread for my setup...

use ifabios 3.3 dsdt...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=208724

OK, it's fixed. The problem was apparently that in my com.apple.Boot.plist, I had resolution set to 1280x1024x32, but once in OS X, the resolution's 1920x1200x32. You could see the resolutions were different-- the boot screen with the silver Apple was noticeably lower-res than the OS X screens-- but while the NVIDIA card could handle the resolution switch, the ATI card/driver/whatever apparently couldn't. Changing the resolution in my plist file to match the resolution in OS X was the cure.

The reason I was hot to do this was the problem some NVIDIA cards have with very slow Open GL performance in Hacktintoshes. Now I can play Half-Life 2 at full resolution with all the settings maxed out.

Hi, Kabyl. I've resolved the other issues that I had and tried this again injecting my device id with LegacyATI4800Controller.kext. There was no change. The unsupported card message still came up during boot. I can test it again when you come out with a new version that includes my device id. Thanks.

Thank you very much, got my mates Sapphire Vapor-X 5770 working by just replacing the boot file with yours, and adding the proper Device ID in Info.plist in the ATI5000Controller.kext

Will post further results and tests later, I ran out of time.

Hi Kabyl, great work.

Tested with Sapphire 5770 on both DVI ports (not together) using a DVI to VGA adapter using default framebuffer.

Hopefully I'll be picking up a Apple Cinema LED Display in the next couple of weeks so i'll be able to test DisplayPort also ;)

Woo, I can confirm DisplayPort is working perfectly using Vervet with my new display :D

Having issues getting the inbuilt usb speakers to work, but thats for another thread.

Reminder for everyone off topic here:

"First I would like to outline a few things:

This isn't a HOW TO get your card working, this is a request for testing.

Don't ask how to install the booter, how to use or add a given booter flag or how to run an update, if you don't know how to do that yourself, then this isn't for you, yet, learn that elsewhere, and you're more than welcome here.

I don't take responsibility for any damage this may cause, so take your precautions before you use this."

:wacko:

Sorry guy I'm new here , I'm don't know how to install or replace Boot file somewhere or umm Install other file on my Osx86 System. Anyone can help me to try this step-by-step pls. Thx guy

P.S. Sorry for my english.

My System

VGA: ASUS ATi HD4770 512MB DDR5

Patch -> ATiFramebuffer , Enabler

Sorry stoogebag, but please read before you post. This is specifically for those who know what they're doing, and ofcourse, is still in beta mode, or testing, or whatever.

There's also a search function here, as well as Google. They're your best friends when you're in need.

Woo, I can confirm DisplayPort is working perfectly using Vervet with my new display thumbsup_anim.gif

Having issues getting the inbuilt usb speakers to work, but thats for another thread.

Voyn1x,

That is great news. I am planning to purchase a 27" ACD for use with my ATI Radeon HD 5770 with standard DisplayPort input.

This is how I am planning to connect the monitor to my video card:

ACD with built-in male mini DP cable ->

female mini DP coupler (same on both sides) ->

cable with male mini DP and standard DP on either end ->

ATI Radeon 5770 with DP

Is this how you made the connection, or does your card have mini DP rather than standard DP?