ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon

Kabyl

868 posts in this topic

Hi there.

I have an XFX 5870 1GB, and have extracted the bin/rom in Windows.

Two things:

1. I can't find the subsys ID - do I need this?

2. Do I need to inject the device ID into the kext, and if so, how can I do this?

(tried searching for guide but no luck)

Without doing the above, the card works and in identified in System Profiler (10.6.6 - Chameleon RC5 r700 with ATI support, 64bit), but the animations are incredibly jerky/slow.

(2600K with legacy kernel, P67 UD4)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edit: just found this via bdmesg

(snipped) Cypress ATI 5870 (Uakari) [1002:6898] subsys [1682:2961]

Does this mean the rom is being loaded correctly?

Edit 2: Apple Cinema Screen (24") working via DP (using DP to Mini-DP adapter by CA). Still have animation lag/timing issues.

Hi there.

I have an XFX 5870 1GB, and have extracted the bin/rom in Windows.

Two things:

1. I can't find the subsys ID - do I need this?

2. Do I need to inject the device ID into the kext, and if so, how can I do this?

(tried searching for guide but no luck)

Without doing the above, the card works and in identified in System Profiler (10.6.6 - Chameleon RC5 r700 with ATI support, 64bit), but the animations are incredibly jerky/slow.

(2600K with legacy kernel, P67 UD4)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edit: just found this via bdmesg

(snipped) Cypress ATI 5870 (Uakari) [1002:6898] subsys [1682:2961]

Does this mean the rom is being loaded correctly?

Edit 2: Apple Cinema Screen (24") working via DP (using DP to Mini-DP adapter by CA). Still have animation lag/timing issues.

Have you set GraphicsEnabler=Yes in boot.plist?

Third iteration still working great, but still showing extra (4th) port on 5870 as in second version.

Archive.zip

Rawmassen

I have the same card, no issues here. Make sure there is nothing in your DSDT or any EFI strings in your boot.plist related to your graphics card.

My boot.plist file simply uses "GraphicsEnabler=Yes", nothing else related to the video (no Rom injection, etc.)

Streaming video from an internal drive? Tried a different player? Maybe an IRQ conflict (I encountered this with a DSP card and the DSDT - HPET fix)?

I have the same card, no issues here. Make sure there is nothing in your DSDT or any EFI strings in your boot.plist related to your graphics card.

My boot.plist file simply uses "GraphicsEnabler=Yes", nothing else related to the video (no Rom injection, etc.)

Streaming video from an internal drive? Tried a different player? Maybe an IRQ conflict (I encountered this with a DSP card and the DSDT - HPET fix)?

Thanks for the info.

It's the speed of the OS X animation (minimising, dock fan, fading context menu's etc.) that are slow.

Not using a DSDT at the moment (will learn this at some point).

Do you use any kexts for your card - ATI Framebuffer, ATI5000, or ATISupport (is that one native to OS X)?

Unlike the first boot file it boots to a solid white screen requiring that I unplug and replug my first DVI socket as seen from left to right so as to see the login screen; having VGA adapter plugged into second socket from same monitor doesn't change that. Anyone know a working workaround?

My card is still the PNY 4770 that I and rafiari submitted test results on your first submitted boot file.

Encouragingly the third boot file gives me adjustable resolution using 10.6.6's ATI4800Controller kext if I add my card's ID to it, giving me properly working Colour 'Calibration' with my Dell screen, but I still have to resort to 10.6.3's X2000 kexts, support and framebuffer.

Graphics enabler Yes and Flicker used in boot.plist. This is an initial report, will run your tests again this afternoon, many thanks.

Don´t post just half or less what people need to know simple as that!

YOU NEED TO KNOW THIS IS NOT A SUPPORT THREAD!

Everything you "need" to know is in the first post of the thread! Testing means you test the boot file which is a simple replace and report back your findings. Reporting doesn't include whining, begging or complaining.

:)

This booter has a new key; "AtiFb" "AtiConfig", if one would like to try a different framebuffer outputs and card configs;

Kabyl, is there any way to get it to use dong's RadeonHD.kext as framebuffer?

The idea is to get LVDS for Mobility Radeon, as we can now load ATIRadeonX2000.kext with his framebuffer loaded, but the two don't interface.

See this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1611365

YOU NEED TO KNOW THIS IS NOT A SUPPORT THREAD!

Everything you "need" to know is in the first post of the thread! Testing means you test the boot file which is a simple replace and report back your findings. Reporting doesn't include whining, begging or complaining.

:D

So then how are people gonna know how to test and contribute if they don´t know how to?

Here are my test results:

Sapphire Radeon 5750 1 GB GDDR5 Pcie videocard. It show all my outs in system profiler but still only can produce video on the two DVI outs once booted up. During boot up it do produce video on both the displayport and the HDMI port but only mirrored which is pretty useless even if it did stay live once booted up.

Asus P6T SE mobo i7 930 cpu 6 gig 1600 ram Sata harddrives and DVDs etc etc etc. Running Retail paid for Snow Leo 10.6.6.

So when you post stuff here and ask people to test first tell them how it works, simple as that.

Well today I've managed to get my Club3D 5870 Eyefinity card to be working without any issues. I have only one screen (Dell U2711 2560 X 1440) and i connect the MDP to slot 3 count from top.

I had problems yesterday but that was because I fitted the card on position PCI-2 istead of PCI-1. In windows this isn't a problem but with OSX it is. So if you have problems just verify if your card is fitted in PCI-1.

I also had some low benches in Cinebench with an overclocked setup. I tried to set all bios settings to defaults and guess what the benches started to get higher. For me it is neccessarry to have speedstep en C states on to get the turbo mode active. This results in much higher benchmark results (Geekbench CPU and Memory but also Cinebench).

Cinebench 11.5 GPU = 37,5 fps / CPU = 6.75

Geekbench score 12400

Cpu settings now bclk = 160 the rest all default and enabled. = 3,2Ghz Core i7 with HT on.

SMBios 4,1 with all correct specifications addes for speeds and memory etc.

Oh and many many many many many thx for the boot file. Im happy that I sold my iMac 27 inc. I have now a much more powerfull system.

The only disadvantage is that I have to switch from bios profile for CPU Clock settings and AHCI settings. When I plugin my raid disks eventhough the controller is configured aHCI and i disbled the raid member disks in the bios OSX sees them and want them to initialize. Anybody nows how to get rid of that annoying message and remove the raid member disks ?

So then how are people gonna know how to test and contribute if they don´t know how to?

It's all very simple, those who don't know what they are doing can leave this stuff well enough alone, this isn't for them.

If they can't even understand that then there isn't much that anyone else can do to ram that fact home much less help them.

Kabyl didn't ask for "anyone" or "everyone" to test this, it was implied very strongly that only people who were knowledgeable

and methodical make the effort.

It's all very simple, those who don't know what they are doing can leave this stuff well enough alone, this isn't for them.

If they can't even understand that then there isn't much that anyone else can do to ram that fact home much less help them.

Kabyl didn't ask for "anyone" or "everyone" to test this, it was implied very strongly that only people who were knowledgeable

and methodical make the effort.

Well said. :)

I've been following this thread for a while but until now never got around to posting my results.

I'm currently using the latest version of this boot file copied over the top of Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r611 on three different systems (all running Snow Leopard 10.6.6).

Here are brief system decriptions and settings and my findings..

1- Main system contains a pair of crossfired 6870's (one Sapphire and one OEM but both flashed using a slightly faster XFX bios). This system boots to the desktop albeit with standard vesa resolution and no hardware acceleration - this is to be expected until the framebuffers for the 6000 series cards are released by Apple. No rom file used just set GraphicsEnabler to yes. Connected via DVI.

2- System contains an xfx 5870 and works perfectly, no rom required just set GraphicsEnabler to Yes and thats that - simple. Connected via DVI and has full hardware acceleration.

3- System contains a Sapphire 5570 (low profile card) and is connected to a 32inch LCD Hitatchi TV via HDMI. No rom required, GraphicsEnabler set to yes and using AtiConfig to set the framebuffer to Hoolock to get HDMI working correctly. The default framebuffer gives a very distorted image (looks like interlacing with half the lines missing) over HDMI however using Hoolock it's perfect. Full hardware acceleration works.

32 or 64 bit?

Which mobo/CPU also? :)

System 2 is an Asus P5Q Deluxe with a Q6600 cpu, 4gig ram and running in 64bit mode.

The other systems are..

System 1 - Another Asus P5Q Deluxe with a Q9550 clocked to 4ghz, 8 gig ram also running in 64bit mode

System 3 - Gigabyte GA G41M-ES2L with an E6600 cpu, 4 gig ram and also running in 64bit mode.

hello i have snow leopard 10.6.6 with the hardware in the signature, i see transparent bar in the top for theme, and the dashboard do the water effect, but the video you tube film ect see jerky, stop every some second, i pictured my screensaver to show the problem:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9MXDIXUS

also i can listen the audio, the only kext "works" it's vodooohda, but the audio it's very distorted...

any help?

Hi All

I've got a few problems with sleep on my new MSI board.

I remember from my previous MSI P45 platinum that I had the same problems with this card (NvIda 260 slept fine.)

My previous MSI P45 (and this current P45D3) have both standard AMi and UEFI BIOS.

I can't run the UEFI BIOS on this board as frankly it's an unfinished project (The UEFI BIOS not my build :) .) and is way too much of a headache to get running!

Either way with the UEFI BIOS the board will sleep and wake just fine with my ATI 5770. However for the life of me I could not get HDMI audio to work!

With the standard AMI BIOS HDMI Audio works just fine but when I put to sleep the screen goes black, fans still run and system locks up. And a restart is nesessary.

GPU options in BIOS are PCI-E and PCI, I have set PCI-E - No PEG as this is an ASUS thing!

The main differnace with the 2 BIOS's (BIOSI ?? ) in relation to sleep is that the UEFI had the option to 'Enable'/ 'Disable' 'Repost Video' and the standard does not!

Does anybody know if I could force 'Disable' 'Repost Video on S3 resume' somehow in DSDT?

To be honest this might not be my problem as this is in relation to wake form sleep not sleep it self!

Any sugestions welcome - Apart from 'have you tried SleepEnabler.kext?' - No I haven't I'd like to solve this problem not hit it over the head with a 2x4!

Cheers

D

Ignore - I shouldn't post when I've been hitting the wine bottle! either way I can't get the {censored} to sleep!

hello i have snow leopard 10.6.6 with the hardware in the signature, i see transparent bar in the top for theme, and the dashboard do the water effect, but the video you tube film ect see jerky, stop every some second, i pictured my screensaver to show the problem:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9MXDIXUS

also i can listen the audio, the only kext "works" it's vodooohda, but the audio it's very distorted...

any help?

VIA® VT2020 Audio Codec! unlucky! I had a VIA on my last asus board and frankly gave up on it!

AppleHDA.kext (without VoodooHDA.kext) will give you HDMI Audio out of the HDMI and (I think) the MDP, with a small edit to your DSDT.

VoodooHDA.kext is a great solution but is not known for quality of sound!

You say in sig' you have 'ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series' - which one mate?

D

yes, all video, and yes i use kabyl...

I have experienced a similar problem but nowhere near as severe.

Looking at Activity Monitor do you have high CPU load when you see this?

Have you recently cleared caches and repaired disk permissions?

yes i have some moment when i do nothing in which the CPU have high load, but i don't know if it's when graphics video jerky, yes repaired permission...

I see you are AMD, are you using valv's booter with CPU PM enabled?