[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

First post in this thread, I have to say thank you Mammoth and all others involved in putting this together. You guys have made this into a very fun project that even the greenest of OS hackers can easily get into and play around.

I do have a question though, will two-finger scrolling be covered in this next guide? I searched through this thread and found that jy371 may have figured it out. I attempted to duplicate what was done but it didn't work for me. If it's in the next guide I can patiently wait and if not I can pursue two-finger scrolling on my own.

Thanks!

I don't know if I should do this but...

if things keep going as well as they are, v2.00 COULD release today.

More info when I have it.

:P

Awesome news, ill stay up late tonight if you release this, been dying to get osx working nice...Probably going to order a gateway wifi card so i can use wireless internally.. Anyone want an intel centrino advanced-n 6200 card lol

I don't know if I should do this but...

if things keep going as well as they are, v2.00 COULD release today.

More info when I have it.

;)

Awesome! Will stay up all night as well hoping it is released! and hope things go the way you want Mammoth! Thanks alot once again! You truly are genius!

omg guys, you're so impatient ;)

i know i cant help it, ive been um patiently waiting since there was an announcement about possibly being released on the first. No worries though im glad to wait for perfection (but not too much longer, its killing me)

MAMMOTH VERSION 2.00 HAS JUST LAUNCHED!

Go to our new thread here to get it:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=250849

(Don't forget to bookmark the new v2.00 thread!)

I have to run out now, but will be back later. Much work is needed on the new thread, and this is going to be a community effort to take v2.00 from it's starting point and get it working on all machines.

Gotta go BUT ENJOY!

Mammoth,

I have a HP- dv7-4285dx which is an Intel i5-460M processor, 6GB DDR3, and uses a Radeon 6370M for the video card.

I am unable to get past the kernel boot using either [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] nor Chameleon nor any of the boot methods out there. I am thinking I need a patched DSDT to get past the kernel boot.

I am using the eSATA port for now and using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD and a ported OSX 10.6.0 drive just to get it to boot and it will not. Probably because of the DSDT that is incomplete with HPET, MTR RTC, TIMR and DTGP.

I tried the DSDT Editor and patcher with very little luck. I am unsure if the HPET patch from DSDT Editor will patch every DSDT from any machine? I think however that it is patching the DTGP.

I don't think it will patch the RTC and TIMR or will it? Aren't those machine specific to?

I have already posted my DSDT on the DSDT Autopatcher thread hoping MaLd0n can get a bit of a handle on it.

The BIos on the HP is crazy. I can't really change or edit anything in this Bios. It all looks preset except for boot options.

I am hoping this Bios will not be the cause of not being able to run Max OSX on it?

Thanks

EDITED a Few minutes Later:

I put my basic DSDT.aml in the root of the drive rather than in the EFI and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] now found it but it still stops with this message:

FRAMEBUFFER @0xA000000 MMIO @0xC4400000 I/O POrt @ 0x00004000 ROm Addr @0xFFFe0000

ATI Card Posted, Reading VBIOS from Legacy space

Hey Hackintosher,

after reading that there is a driver for my mb r hd5650 i want to install sl on my dv7-4101eg. unfortunally i have actually no idea how to install it. is there anybody who made an dsdt.aml for my nb?

hp dv7-4101eg

4gb mem

intel i5 460m

mb r hd5650

500gb hdd (120gb mac part)

thx a lot ryman

Hi Mammoth!

How're you?

Tried again to install this with the 1.5a version... so far have burn the 1.0, 1.5 and 1.5a versions having the same results... and I have the same machine as you do! (not trying the USB method, but the normal way with the CD boot).

CD boots perfectly, but then, when I insert the Retail 10.6.3 disc, I get:

HFS signature was not present.

Loading Darwin

Loading kernel mach_kernel

Can't find mach_kernel

and doesn't boots...

I've checked the disk and mach_kernel is there... I even burnt the disc using both, Leopard and Windows, with no difference.

Any clue? Thank you!!!

Hi Mammoth, first thanks for the guide,

I have an HP Envy 14. Now I know this isn't a DV series notebook, but the specs is very similar to the other HP laptops. It also has the InsyBIOS installed. Now I got 10.6.7 working and loaded up but for some reason I can't seem to get my graphics to work. It has a ATI 5650m card in it, and I've tried atlee's method and it refuses to work. When it loads in Chameleon it detects the card but when it actually boots up it always detects only the IntelHD card.

Hi Mammoth, first thanks for the guide,

I have an HP Envy 14. Now I know this isn't a DV series notebook, but the specs is very similar to the other HP laptops. It also has the InsyBIOS installed. Now I got 10.6.7 working and loaded up but for some reason I can't seem to get my graphics to work. It has a ATI 5650m card in it, and I've tried atlee's method and it refuses to work. When it loads in Chameleon it detects the card but when it actually boots up it always detects only the IntelHD card.

This is some very good info, but we have all moved to our new v2.00 thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=250849

EVERYONE, please don't use THIS old thread anymore, please join us at the NEW ONE (posted above).

@ST40611

Please post this same info in the new thread.

THANKS!

• 1 month later...

post-764914-1306896037_thumb.png

If anyone wants to get a great internal Wireless card for your DVx, I found a guy on eBay selling them for $19.99 with FREE shipping, and he's in Los Angeles (NOT China), so you will get it FAST!

eBay seller ID: JHETech*com

Apple PRO A1181 A1260 Wireless WiFi 802.11n BCM94321MC (The one Mammoth & NIXin use!) ; )

Mammoth

Thank you for the tip on the card - got one from the same eBay seller for my Dell M6300 and it works great under 10.6.7 and Win 7 strait out of the box for both. I had been using an RTL8187 usb card and in the system network panel it still uses that name for the card, but in the utilities network panel it shows it as an "Wireless Network Adapter (802.11 a/b/g/n)" and the Realtek is not a draft N card. I've attached a picture to show all 3 windows with the card info.

Was a bit of an experience getting the M6300 to work but it is a great machine for this, nice graphics card and with the X9000 CPU it is a great audio machine (RME babyface soundcard)

Thank you again and thanks to all in this forum for the helpful info everywhere!

(I know the guide topic has been moved but this was the only relevant spot to reply to what you wrote)

• 1 month later...

Hi Mammoth,

I saw your guides for DVx HP Notebooks.

I am using a DV9314EA bought in France a couple of years ago.

I saw in different threats that you had a kind of DV9000. But today you are using a DV8.

I was wondering if I could use your guide for Mac OS X installation ???

If not, do you still have a Guide for my notebook ?

It's a Intel based one with a Core 2 Duo T5300

Geoforce 7600 Go with 256 Mb of memory.

I would be very gratefull if I could use my old HP for building iPad/iPhone applications ????

I thank you in advance for any help on this.

Sorry if my english is not perfect, I'm french...