[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

Hi kizwan,

Thanks for your patience.

Here is the IO Reg dump from my dv8t-1200.

I'm also attaching a screenshot from MSR Tools (ran in 32bit yesterday without your dsdt fixes) with just the original dsdt.aml. MSR Tools is not showing all 4 cores though and some of the numbers seem to be incorrect.

Please help.

We will proceed to the speedsteps once when we fix the DSDT with basic functionality (HDEF, graphic card injection & etc). I'll post 2nd DSDT soon.

I think two heads

are better than one.

Please be careful. Most of the time it will only leads to disaster unless you can run two sets of test - me & Taptun - without you & us arguing about it. Let me try first as I already start doing it. No offenses to everyone. BTW, I'm using DTGP method.

Hi Mac Man 50,

This is the new modified DSDT for you (R2). Based on your ioreg dump, your graphic card is located at Device (P0P2) --> Device (VGA). I don't know why ioreg dump obtain by Mammoth is different. Can you confirmed that both of you are using the same BIOS version/release? Also I noticed the DSDT posted by Mammoth in DSDT Patcher forum is different than yours & the one from Mammoth Boot CD. I use raw DSDT from Mammoth post in DSDT Patcher forum to create this modified DSDT assuming both of you have identical BIOS version/release.

http://www.mediafire.com/?e207npm7sddo7dh

In the compress file, you will see three folder:-

1) Original DSDT

- This is original DSDT for DV8T. This one was given to me by Mammoth in "DSDT Patcher" thread.

2) Modified DSDT

- This is modified DSDT with CMOS Reset Fix, USB EHCI Sleep Fix, HDEF Fix, GFX Fix

3) DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e

- This is the final modified DSDT.

Please test it (use the final modified DSDT) & make sure these conditions are met to make sure correct result:-

- No other graphic card injector kext installed

- Boot with GraphicsEnabler=No

Please post the result with ioreg dump using IORegistryExplorer.

If it does not work, please post your raw DSDT taken in windows using Everest. Just right-click at the bottom status bar at Everest window & select ACPI Tool. Click Save DSDT to dump your DSDT to a file.

Hi Mac Man 50,

This is the new modified DSDT for you (R2). Based on your ioreg dump, your graphic card is located at Device (P0P2) --> Device (VGA). I don't know why ioreg dump obtain by Mammoth is different. Can you confirmed that both of you are using the same BIOS version/release? Also I noticed the DSDT posted by Mammoth in DSDT Patcher forum is different than yours & the one from Mammoth Boot CD. I use raw DSDT from Mammoth post in DSDT Patcher forum to create this modified DSDT assuming both of you have identical BIOS version/release.

http://www.mediafire.com/?e207npm7sddo7dh

In the compress file, you will see three folder:-

1) Original DSDT

- This is original DSDT for DV8T. This one was given to me by Mammoth in "DSDT Patcher" thread.

2) Modified DSDT

- This is modified DSDT with CMOS Reset Fix, USB EHCI Sleep Fix, HDEF Fix, GFX Fix

3) DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e

- This is the final modified DSDT.

Please test it (use the final modified DSDT) & make sure these conditions are met to make sure correct result:-

- No other graphic card injector kext installed

- Boot with GraphicsEnabler=No

Please post the result with ioreg dump using IORegistryExplorer.

If it does not work, please post your raw DSDT taken in windows using Everest. Just right-click at the bottom status bar at Everest window & select ACPI Tool. Click Save DSDT to dump your DSDT to a file.

Kizwan!!

You're the man. The new V2 that you sent me is working great. (Display resolutions show all available resolutions) and also Display Properties in System Profiler shows perfect entries as Nvidia GT230M. The ROM version says xx-xx-xx-internal. As a side effect, in Displays...Color, I'm seeing a new Extra Profile named ("Display") as shown in the screenshot. Also, this time, it seems to be slightly dim. Don't know why.

Thanks anyways...you're brilliant.

post-607801-1279512792_thumb.png

Kizwan!!

You're the man. The new V2 that you sent me is working great. (Display resolutions show all available resolutions) and also Display Properties in System Profiler shows perfect entries as Nvidia GT230M. The ROM version says xx-xx-xx-internal. As a side effect, in Displays...Color, I'm seeing a new Extra Profile named ("Display") as shown in the screenshot. Also, this time, it seems to be slightly dim. Don't know why.

Glad to hear it works great. As for the side effect, this just a matter of "calibration" on the injection code. Was it slightly dim compared to when using only GraphicsEnabler=Yes? If it is, I will compare the injection code with the ioreg dump you give to me earlier. Can you give me the new ioreg dump with V2 DSDT? Does audio works brilliantly with V2? What is the BIOS version? Was it Insyde BIOS or Phoenix BIOS?

I have read issue regarding Intel Core processor (i3, i5 & i7) with HP DVx notebook. Looks like you need legacy kext to enabled all 8 cores. I would like to suggest you to use AnVAL boot file. The latest one is at the bottom of post #1. Just need to copy boot file to the root of boot partition, if you already installed Chameleon 2 RC4 or any RC4 variant boot loader. Make sure you have alternative way to boot your OS X just in case AnVAL boot file doesn't compatible with DV8T. It works with my Studio 1557 with i7 720QM. I'll try look into APIC override whether it can enabled all cores or not. If it is possible, you can use vanilla kernel.

EDIT: HP DV6 DSDT have different DSDT than DV8. I have work on two of DV6 DSDT & DV8 is much cleaner. BTW, don't forget to answer my questions. :D

Kizwan!!

Hi, does it mean that screen brightness adjustment is possible with this new dsdt?

With the FN keys.

Glad to hear it works great. As for the side effect, this just a matter of "calibration" on the injection code. Was it slightly dim compared to when using only GraphicsEnabler=Yes? If it is, I will compare the injection code with the ioreg dump you give to me earlier. Can you give me the new ioreg dump with V2 DSDT? Does audio works brilliantly with V2? What is the BIOS version? Was it Insyde BIOS or Phoenix BIOS?

I have read issue regarding Intel Core processor (i3, i5 & i7) with HP DVx notebook. Looks like you need legacy kext to enabled all 8 cores. I would like to suggest you to use AnVAL boot file. The latest one is at the bottom of post #1. Just need to copy boot file to the

root of boot partition, if you already installed Chameleon 2 RC4 or any RC4 variant boot loader. Make sure you have alternative way to boot your OS X just in case AnVAL boot file doesn't compatible with DV8T. It works with my Studio 1557 with i7 720QM. I'll try look into APIC override whether it can enabled all cores or not. If it is possible, you can use vanilla kernel.

EDIT: HP DV6 DSDT have different DSDT than DV8. I have work on two of DV6 DSDT & DV8 is much cleaner. BTW, don't forget to answer my questions. :rolleyes:

hi kizwan,

thanks for your reply.

The brightness seems to be same if I set graphicsenabler

set to either Yes or No.

My bios version is F.24. I didn't upgrade to F.25 though.

Mammoth is having HP dv8t-1100. Also I don't think I

may need Anwal's boot file (more on this below).

Do you want me to send you a fresh dsdt.aml that I can

generate from everest ultimate and also send you a new

ioreg dump? I wanted to let you know that mine is

HP dv8t-1200.

I'm running on vanilla 64bit kernel 10.4 and it runs

extremely smooth. I have added steps on how to run it

in this thread. Please check this thread.

hi kizwan,

thanks for your reply.

The brightness seems to be same if I set graphicsenabler

set to either Yes or No.

My bios version is F.24. I didn't upgrade to F.25 though.

Mammoth is having HP dv8t-1100. Also I don't think I

may need Anwal's boot file (more on this below).

HP dv8t-1200.

I'm running on F.25 and there shouldn't (I don't think) be a big difference between DV8t-1100 and DV8t-1200, I think just a difference in how much memory, hard, etc., that comes with that model. So there should be no difference with the DSDT.

Mammoth

HP dv8t-1200.

Yes, send me your fresh DSDT. I think I don't need fresh ioreg dump since I already know where I need to inject your GPU information in DSDT. BTW, you forgot to put link to your thread.

I'm running on F.25 and there shouldn't (I don't think) be a big difference between DV8t-1100 and DV8t-1200, I think just a difference in how much memory, hard, etc., that comes with that model. So there should be no difference with the DSDT.

Mammoth

Usually different BIOS version contain different DSDT but no harm done if we decided to use older or newer DSDT. It only will be a problem if we're using DSDT from different computer & BIOS altogether. Can you confirmed the fresh/raw DSDT you posted earlier in DSDT Patcher thread is really fresh taken from your notebook? I need to sort the folder so I don't get confused. :(

Usually different BIOS version contain different DSDT but no harm done if we decided to use older or newer DSDT. It only will be a problem if we're using DSDT from different computer & BIOS altogether. Can you confirmed the fresh/raw DSDT you posted earlier in DSDT Patcher thread is really fresh taken from your notebook? I need to sort the folder so I don't get confused. :(

I know my initially posted DSDT was created with F.24. I really think we should all move to F.25 and I don't doubt that there is an F.26 right around the corner. The F.25 fixed a BIG BUG, basically saying "Fixes an intermittent issue where the system does not start up (boot) when running a Microsoft Windows Operating System."

Mammoth

I know my initially posted DSDT was created with F.24. I really think we should all move to F.25 and I don't doubt that there is an F.26 right around the corner. The F.25 fixed a BIG BUG, basically saying "Fixes an intermittent issue where the system does not start up (boot) when running a Microsoft Windows Operating System."

Mammoth

Please provide me fresh DSDT using Everest in windows. I'm also need fresh ioreg dump from you (boot without any DSDT file & with GraphicsEnabler=Yes), as well as video ROM for your graphic card just in case.

Yes, send me your fresh DSDT. I think I don't need fresh ioreg dump since I already know where I need to inject your GPU information in DSDT. BTW, you forgot to put link to your thread.

kizwan:

do you want me to update to F.25 and then generate a

fresh dsdt using everest ultimate?

Sorry for not providing you the link. Here is the post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...1653&st=60#

Please check post # 74.

please let me know.

Mammoth: I think you're back in full force :(

thanks.

Mammoth: I think you're back in full force :(

thanks.

I wish Mac Man 50, but not yet. I'm doing some computer work at my desk so I'm able to get in some quick replies. Heading to Vegas tomorrow for a few days for some work.

Had to put the Apple WiFi card back in the MacBook, which I have finally repaired all issues so it's ready to sell, but I did use BuyItNow on eBay for my own, which has already been shipped out. Once I get it, my DV8t will be fully wireless capable in both Win7 and OS X... can't wait!

I am also trying to finish up my new WiFi antenna reroute guide, because I know so many people could benefit from this, so I hope to have it done and posted later tonight, if not tomorrow.

Mammoth

kizwan:

do you want me to update to F.25 and then generate a

fresh dsdt using everest ultimate?

It is all up to you. If you feel comfortable with F.24, you can stick with it. If you experience the problem like Mammoth mentioned in the previous post, you maybe want to upgrade to F.25. The most important is, if you feel uncomfortable doing BIOS flash, I suggest you to stick with F.24.

Sorry for not providing you the link. Here is the post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...1653&st=60#

Please check post # 74.

I like to correct this:-

1. Running on vanilla Darwin kernel 10.4 64bit on 10.6.4. (http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3473). A great guy named "kokomal" was able to sort this out. Steps involoved:

a. Begin with 10.6.3.

b. Run the MacBook Pro Update 1.3.

c. Don't do a restart (Disregard the restart dialog).

d. Delete AppleProfileFamily.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

e. Copy the vanilla kernel 64bit onto the root and set the permissions.

f. Restart.

g. Install 10.6.4 update.

h. Don't do a restart (Disregard the restart dialog).

i. Repeat steps d & e.

j. Restart.

Since, you're using patched kernel (hacked by 3rd party), the kernel is called "legacy kernel". Vanilla kernel is referred to original kernel.

I wish Mac Man 50, but not yet. I'm doing some computer work at my desk so I'm able to get in some quick replies. Heading to Vegas tomorrow for a few days for some work.

Had to put the Apple WiFi card back in the MacBook, which I have finally repaired all issues so it's ready to sell, but I did use BuyItNow on eBay for my own, which has already been shipped out. Once I get it, my DV8t will be fully wireless capable in both Win7 and OS X... can't wait!

I am also trying to finish up my new WiFi antenna reroute guide, because I know so many people could benefit from this, so I hope to have it done and posted later tonight, if not tomorrow.

Mammoth

I'm now taking some time off from work. Need to lower down my blood pressure. Lately, it suddenly increased. Anyway, you can test the modified DSDT V2 or R2, I prepared for Mac Man 50 earlier. It should work for you too. :(

I'm now taking some time off from work. Need to lower down my blood pressure. Lately, it suddenly increased. Anyway, you can test the modified DSDT V2 or R2, I prepared for Mac Man 50 earlier. It should work for you too. :P

DO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF Kizwan! First priority. :)

Thank YOU Kizwan, Man Man 50, and several others who are really contributing BIG! I am eager to use the new kernel, get sound working, use new color profiles, and use a totally awesome new DSDT (with GFX info being correct!), etc, etc, but I'm going to need to set some time aside for all of that as soon as I ever can.

I made it a high priority of getting WiFi working the way I am as I had temporary use of an actual Apple WiFi card and because there are few who could, or would, undertake such a crazy project. :)

OK, just really wanted to thank Kizwan and all, and let you know I appreciate all of your work! Now... I have to get back to the WiFi doc and get sleep for tomorrow!

Mammoth

Mammoth I have questions for you, hope you can help me

Do I need to re-flash the BIOS to white list the wireless card, which will replace Intel 6200?

If true, could you give me instructions?

Thanks

Mammoth I have questions for you, hope you can help me

Do I need to re-flash the BIOS to white list the wireless card, which will replace Intel 6200?

If true, could you give me instructions?

Thanks

Hello Nghia,

If you use the same one I did, which is the Apple Airport Extreme MA688Z/B BCM94321MC 802.11n, it works perfectly

in OS X and Windows 7, no flashing or white listing to worry about BUT that is if you make the modification of routing the WiFi antenna wires from the top slot, down to the bottom slot.

I am writing a guide with picture on how to do this, and will have this new guide posted in about the next 30 minutes!

If you didn't see my earlier post, there is a guy selling these cards on eBay for $19.95 with free shipping, and I posted how to find these on eBay.

Mammoth

* UPDATE * - 2010-07-20 - 1:58 AM GMT -8:00

COMPLETE GUIDE WITH PICTURES ON HOW TO MAKE ANY WiFi CARD WORK IN THE BOTTOM SLOT.

By rerouting the WiFi antenna cable from the top slot to the bottom slot, you can install any Apple full-length mini-PCI WiFi card and have it work perfectly under OS X AND Windows 7! No messing with DSDT, com.apple.Boot.plist strings, modified kext files, BIOS tweaking... nothing. Just put the card in and use it like a real Mac or a real Windows 7 machine.

To get the guide and associated files, look in the FILES section of the first post of this thread.

Thank you all very much,

Mammoth

Hey Mammoth,

Thank you so much for your excellent works, you're the best

I am not skilled at hardware like you so...

for simplicity & safety I may order

AWLL5088 Wireless N 150 Ultra Mini USB Adapter

http://airlink101.com/products/awll5088.php

Not sure if it works on a DV8t

awll5088_big.jpg

Hey Mammoth,

Thank you so much for your excellent works, you're the best

I am not skilled at hardware like you so...

for simplicity & safety I may order

AWLL5088 Wireless N 150 Ultra Mini USB Adapter

http://airlink101.com/products/awll5088.php

Not sure if it works on a DV8t

awll5088_big.jpg

Hello again, and thanks for the kind words! ; )

The challenge is finding a USB WiFi adapter that works well enough, and also supports OS X. I went to the link you posted, and it looks like that one doesn't support OS X. There are USB WiFi cards that do, I just don't know which ones.

Mammoth

Mammoth, thanks for the great writeup. i followed your guide, installed in few hours on a brand new dv8t-1200, BIOS f.25. thanks again. this is the best and very well written guide.

i had to type -force64 everytime i boot, but i am fine with it. i have 8GB ram, it was able to recogonize 8gb. everything works except sleep. i had to power cycle after sleep. but when it comes up..it displays during

Loaded HFS+ file:[system/library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist]

i had to use the install dvd to repair disk whenever it goes into that mode (followed step 3 in 3InstallGuide_HP_DV8t pdf)

wondering if there is any solution for this sleep/resume issue. thanks again.

I am using Rosewill RNX-N1 usb wifi adapter. its wirless-n. it works great with dv8t osx.

Hello again, and thanks for the kind words! ; )

The challenge is finding a USB WiFi adapter that works well enough, and also supports OS X. I went to the link you posted, and it looks like that one doesn't support OS X. There are USB WiFi cards that do, I just don't know which ones.

Mammoth

USB wireless cards that works are most with a RaLink chipset.

You can download the drivers on their website.

It is all up to you. If you feel comfortable with F.24, you can stick with it. If you experience the problem like Mammoth mentioned in the previous post, you maybe want to upgrade to F.25. The most important is, if you feel uncomfortable doing BIOS flash, I suggest you to stick with F.24.

I like to correct this:-

Since, you're using patched kernel (hacked by 3rd party), the kernel is called "legacy kernel". Vanilla kernel is referred to original kernel.

I'm now taking some time off from work. Need to lower down my blood pressure. Lately, it suddenly increased. Anyway, you can test the modified DSDT V2 or R2, I prepared for Mac Man 50 earlier. It should work for you too. :(

Kizwan:

Please do take complete rest and I wish you good health.

Btw, I would like to tell you that the kernel I'm using (from the tonyosx86 link I provided) is indeed a compiled vanilla 64bit kernel. It is not a legacy kernel. I was using legacy kernel from Mammoth Boot CD 1.10 but not any more. The vanilla kernel is a newly compiled kernel with lapic fix and it runs extremely well. Thats what the link says atleast. Also, I'm getting GeekBench 64 bit score of 6617. Previously with legacy kernel I was getting 4655. Also, I'm sticking with BIOS F.24 and not upgrading to F.25.

Also, as requested by you, I'm attaching my fresh dump of dsdt.bin (got from Everest Ultimate 5.xx edition). Everest Ultimate saves as a .bin file rather than a .aml file.

Thanks for all your help.

* UPDATE * - 2010-07-20 - 1:58 AM GMT -8:00

COMPLETE GUIDE WITH PICTURES ON HOW TO MAKE ANY WiFi CARD WORK IN THE BOTTOM SLOT.

By rerouting the WiFi antenna cable from the top slot to the bottom slot, you can install any Apple full-length mini-PCI WiFi card and have it work perfectly under OS X AND Windows 7! No messing with DSDT, com.apple.Boot.plist strings, modified kext files, BIOS tweaking... nothing. Just put the card in and use it like a real Mac or a real Windows 7 machine.

To get the guide and associated files, look in the FILES section of the first post of this thread.

Thank you all very much,

Mammoth

Mammoth:

Thanks for the guides. However, I just have one quick question though. I'm not sure whether If I had asked you this question or not. If I want to keep the Intel 6200N card untouched and use the available PCI-e slot to install the Apple card (the ebay link you sent us - Airport Extreme MA688Z/B BCM94321MC 802.11n) will it work just by plugging in to the empty slot? The confusing part for me is when you mention "top slot" and "bottom slot". I think the empty PCI-e slot is between the two hard drive bays. Right?

Also, I don't care to have two wireless cards.

Please reply.

Thanks.

acpi_dsdt.zip

i had to type -force64 everytime i boot, but i am fine with it. i have 8GB ram, it was able to recogonize 8gb. everything works except sleep. i had to power cycle after sleep. but when it comes up..it displays during

Loaded HFS+ file:[system/library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist]

i had to use the install dvd to repair disk whenever it goes into that mode (followed step 3 in 3InstallGuide_HP_DV8t pdf)

You can try boot with ForceWake=Yes flag to force resume from sleep or boot with Wake=No flag to tell OS X to ignore the sleep image & boot normally. On some computer, sleep & resume works when secure virtual memory is not selected & when booting with ForceWake=Yes flag.

Btw, I would like to tell you that the kernel I'm using (from the tonyosx86 link I provided) is indeed a compiled vanilla 64bit kernel. It is not a legacy kernel. I was using legacy kernel from Mammoth Boot CD 1.10 but not any more. The vanilla kernel is a newly compiled kernel with lapic fix and it runs extremely well. Thats what the link says atleast. Also, I'm getting GeekBench 64 bit score of 6617. Previously with legacy kernel I was getting 4655. Also, I'm sticking with BIOS F.24 and not upgrading to F.25.

Also, as requested by you, I'm attaching my fresh dump of dsdt.bin (got from Everest Ultimate 5.xx edition). Everest Ultimate saves as a .bin file rather than a .aml file.

Actually all legacy kernel is based on vanilla kernel. It is called legacy kernel because it has been changed to suit certain purposes, normally to support unsupported hardware. Vanilla kernel is actually "untouched" original kernel. So, the one available at tonymacx86 is actually legacy kernel. Term "legacy" in the hackintosh community is not directly means something is old or deprecated. It just means to show that it purpose is to support unsupported hardware.

Thanks. The bin file is identical with the aml file. I will look into your DSDT. I bet it is identical with the one Mammoth gave to me, since it come from same BIOS version (F.24). :)

As for the wireless question, it seems when Mammoth says "bottom slot", he actually means the second port, the empty PCIe port. From the pictures taken by Mammoth, he didn't remove the original wireless card. He only redirect the antenna wire so that it will reached the second port.

@Mammoth, I don't want to criticized your works but you failed to take a picture of the original wireless card connected to the board. LOL :D It also nice if you can take a picture of the connected devices (when plastic cover for memory & hard drive is removed). This way it will be easy to show where the empty slot is located. Just my two cents. :P

I just check your DSDT & it is identical with Mammoth's original DSDT (BIOS F.24). So, no need to create another DSDT for DV8T-1200. Have you tried attaching external monitor (especially via HDMI) to your notebook? Does it work? I assume sound is working great, right?

Kizwan:

thanks for all the pains in getting dv8t work.

Audio is good but not perfect. I hear this bass popping sound

every now and then. But, When I play something it goes away. I

think it has do with the kokomal's applehda patch or

I maybe missing something. Are you referring to a

different solution?

Btw, I'm leaning towards buying a mini USB wireless

adapter instead of messing with the dv8t internals. I dont

want to void my warranty. In those lines, can you

suggest a best mini wireless n USB adapter that works

OOB with Snow leopard? I read elsewhere that most

USB wireless adapters over heat.

Please let me know.