[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

Thanks yehia Amer for you boot cd. I tried many boot cds b4 but your is perfect on my dv7 3080. everything works and post installion was very very quick and simple as well. Everything is system profile is good. the only thing is not working is my webcam. When i open photo booth LED turns on but no picture. Mic is working. Can you please tell me how i can fix my webcam. It is working in win7.

thanks

Thank you for the quick reply. I cannot just follow your Post-installation instructions because your install and Mammoth's install are completely different. Mammoth has an entirely different partition for chameleon and the kexts are not loaded from S/L/E. Is your kernel any different from the kernel that Mammoth is using? Also, is there any way I could just use the updated kexts from your installation with my install?

Thank you again for your help Yehia Amer.

//Gibby

yes download my BootCD and you will find the Kexts & DSDT at

/YehiaAmer DVx Boot CD v1.0\Post-installation/extra

also install "AppleHDA.kext" by drugging it to "Kext Helper b7" program (you will find them at "System/library/extensions" folder at the boot cd)

Good luck

Thanks yehia Amer for you boot cd. I tried many boot cds b4 but your is perfect on my dv7 3080. everything works and post installion was very very quick and simple as well. Everything is system profile is good. the only thing is not working is my webcam. When i open photo booth LED turns on but no picture. Mic is working. Can you please tell me how i can fix my webcam. It is working in win7.

thanks

thanks westendmtl :D , i don't know why your camera don't work although mine do , just try to repair your permissions using Pfix and then using Disk utility and see

The best !!!

Before this pos my xbench run at 119 points of cpu test, now is 171..... :D

Mic ok, cam ok, usb ok, all is ok (hdmi not testet, but is not important for me).

1 question. The good folder extra of hamercd is into "post installation" not in the root of cd... exactly ?

By and thanks

thanks euccessoveramente :D , pleased it works good for you too

Answer: you have to put folder "extra" to your "root" , but it is at "post installation" on Amer cd

Yehia Amer,

I tried to follow your post install instructions to modify my installation that was completed from the v1.15 Mammoth install but had no luck. Here are my issues:

The post installation calls to install the RC5 of chameleon which would install it to the root of the OSX drive. I have chameleon installed to its own partition and the computer boots from that drive. I am unsure of how to install the chameleon to the Cham partition.

Then it calls to have the kexts installed into the S/L/E, but the kexts are currently in C/E/E on the cham partition. I have removed AppleHDA.kext from the S/L/E and have placed all the kexts in the C/E/E (including the AppleHDA.kext) here. How would I use your installation files (DSDT, kexts, etc) and have them installed properly and run from the Cham partition? I did attempt to use your files, your kernel (which I believe is the same as Mammoth but I changed it anyways), and was able to boot but the sound and ethernet kexts did not load and did not work (even after pfix and repairing disk permissions).

Do you have any other suggestions or help for me? Thank you for any help you can offer me.

Gibby

Hi , just to let you know also that I tried your set up , but some reason it did not work as well , I had troubles with LAN Network , and no sound either , also It would not re -start with out flags cpu=1

I installed it at least 4 times with same results , then I managed to install the kext from Mammoth Cd for the network , made it work , but same results after Pfix and Repair Permissions . Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help...

Hi , just to let you know also that I tried your set up , but some reason it did not work as well , I had troubles with LAN Network , and no sound either , also It would not re -start with out flags cpu=1

I installed it at least 4 times with same results , then I managed to install the kext from Mammoth Cd for the network , made it work , but same results after Pfix and Repair Permissions . Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help...

My Way is deferent somehow from Mammoth way

i think that you got some random errors related to your Cham partition, and i can't predicted what could it be because it could alot of things !!!

so try to format both the Cham and mac partitions and combine them to one partition

or to reformat the full disk and begin my instructions from the beginning

Good Luck

Thanks heaps to everyone who put in the effort to making this installation guide(s). I have a Dv5 1138Tx and everything seems to be working so far. I have followed the guide step by step and have gotten up to the end of part 4 where I need to install the OSXRepair partition. I had difficulty creating the image of my OSX. Initially I got "cannot allocate memory". Then I realised I was trying to save it to an external elements hard drive which probably has an incompatible format or something. I eventually saved it to a ipod which worked but the image is only 3.92GB. Is that normal? I thought it would be around 10GB?

Then tried to restore that image to the OSXRepair section but it was taking forever and I think it froze so I decided to stop it and just install from the snow leopard installation cd instead.

So after I had installed onto the OSXRepair partition I restarted and can now boot into all three partitions (Win 7, OSX and OSXRepair). Which is great! However I would like to know how much of the rest of the guide I should follow with the repair install. For example, because I would've created an image of the OSX install, I assume it would be almost everything (Updating to Legacy Kernal, Installing Mackbook Pro Update 1.3 and 10.6.4 Combo Update) EXCEPT Installing Chameleon section. Can you please confirm this I what I should do and I can still type in all commands word for word and not change anything at all?

Thanks in advance,

Megathy

PS: On normal OSX partition, audio does not seem to be working. LAN works great. I can see 2 cores in "about this mac" so I assume that's working good too. Other things I have not tested yet. Any ideas on the sound? It says "no output devices found"

EDIT: Sorry, the OSXRepair does not boot from HDD Charm prompt at boot. It gives the error message "can't find latency kernal"

Hi Yehia Amer , thanks for your response , but I did a new set up , I formatted my drive completely ! Fallowed step by step you instructions , I done 6 times all ready , I did managed to make everything work ! Camera , audio, SD card reader, , but I still have the cpus=1 issue , so only one core is working , am I missing a Kernel ? Legacy ? I know it has to do with the lapic fix

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Hi Yehia Amer , thanks for your response , but I did a new set up , I formatted my drive completely ! Fallowed step by step you instructions , I done 6 times all ready , I did managed to make everything work ! Camera , audio, SD card reader, , but I still have the cpus=1 issue , so only one core is working , am I missing a Kernel ? Legacy ? I know it has to do with the lapic fix

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

it seems you forgot to replace the original mach_kernel with the one at "YehiaAmer DVx Boot CD v1.0/Post-installation/mach_kernel"

Hi all,

I have Pavilion dv6-1410em with ATI Radeon 4650HD, c2d t6600, broadcom bcm4312 wlan... will i have problems with snow leo? i think that wifi might be the problem...

and if it is not problem, I should just follow guide on the first page and that's it?

thanks

Hi everybody, Im having problems i keep getting kernal panic seconds after booting from my os x 10.6 intel disc I can get past this and install to hard drive by going F8 then -x -v busratio=20 cpus=1 maxmem=2048

But after install it reboots then tries to load darwin then splash screen then kernal panic again so Im stuck :(

Here are my system specs:

HP Pavilion dv7-2112tx

Intel Core 2 Duo P8800 ((Dual Core) 2.66GHz/3MB L2 Cache/1066MHz FSB)

4GB DDR2 RAM

64GB G-Skill SSD

17.3 inch WXGA+ (1600 x 900) High Definition BrightView display

DVD+/-RW dual layer with LightScribe drive

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (1GB dedicated)

Integrated 10/100/1000 LAN, integrated 802.11 a/g/n WLAN, integrated Bluetooth, 56k modem

SRS Prmium sound with Altec Lansing speakers, integrated webcam with microphone, 5-in-1 media card reader, express card slot

3x USB ports, 1x USB/eSATA shared port, 1x FireWire port, 1x HDMI port

Any help would be great.

Ok so good news from my last post. I managed to successfully complete the entire installation process from part 1 till post-installations. Only one problem remains, no audio. I have a dv5. Am I able to get working audio? Can someone please help me out

Many thanks

Hi Yehia Amer , Thanks for all your help!

Here is what the problem was with my set up, since I was not able to make my LAN to work on your set up with your boot cd , the mistake I was doing was that I was fallowing all of the steps on your guide for set up , then once my LAN was able to work I was updating to 10.6.4, and for some reason the AppleProfileFamily.kext was put back in by the update, the reason I was having the CPUS=1 problem !

So , your LAN kext doe not work for the DV8 with the Realtek RTL8168D/8111D PCI-E Gigabit, I had to use the

RealtekR1000SL.kext to be able to have internet connection .

So the good news is that now everything works ! Audio, webcam, SD card reader, Sleep, LAN , and my memory now it shows the correct kind, DDR3 at 1330 MHz, before it was showing DDR2 at a lower MHz, it seem to me that the systems is more stable now , no luck ups so far , , computer runs cooler on CPU now

so with all this , I would like to thank you so much for an easy set up and Boot CD ! Thanks to everyone who contributed to this project !

I hope that my experience will help someone else out there to check the mistakes i made .

Thanks again

Hey Guys,

Great job everyone so far.

Before I start installing OS X on my DV6t I wanted to ask you guys if anyone checked if the ExpressCard slot works? I use it for better firewire support and additional eSATA ports (I use at least 3 external hard drives).

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

Before I start installing OS X on my DV6t I wanted to ask you guys if anyone checked if the ExpressCard slot works? I use it for better firewire support and additional eSATA ports (I use at least 3 external hard drives).

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

Thanks!

Hi NIXin,

I don't think anyone has reported testing it yet so it will be very interesting to hear from you if it does work. : ) My thought is that it DOES work; you can see the ICON for the ExpressCard on the "top bar" of OS X, just no one has had a card to test.

Hi NIXin,

I don't think anyone has reported testing it yet so it will be very interesting to hear from you if it does work. : ) My thought is that it DOES work; you can see the ICON for the ExpressCard on the "top bar" of OS X, just no one has had a card to test.

I can confirm it works. I use a smart card reader in it. (dv8t-1200)

Ok so good news from my last post. I managed to successfully complete the entire installation process from part 1 till post-installations. Only one problem remains, no audio. I have a dv5. Am I able to get working audio? Can someone please help me out

Many thanks

try this kizwan Kext

Hi Yehia Amer , Thanks for all your help!

Here is what the problem was with my set up, since I was not able to make my LAN to work on your set up with your boot cd , the mistake I was doing was that I was fallowing all of the steps on your guide for set up , then once my LAN was able to work I was updating to 10.6.4, and for some reason the AppleProfileFamily.kext was put back in by the update, the reason I was having the CPUS=1 problem !

So , your LAN kext doe not work for the DV8 with the Realtek RTL8168D/8111D PCI-E Gigabit, I had to use the

RealtekR1000SL.kext to be able to have internet connection .

So the good news is that now everything works ! Audio, webcam, SD card reader, Sleep, LAN , and my memory now it shows the correct kind, DDR3 at 1330 MHz, before it was showing DDR2 at a lower MHz, it seem to me that the systems is more stable now , no luck ups so far , , computer runs cooler on CPU now

so with all this , I would like to thank you so much for an easy set up and Boot CD ! Thanks to everyone who contributed to this project !

I hope that my experience will help someone else out there to check the mistakes i made .

Thanks again

pleasured that it works for you & thanks for sharing your experience :wacko:

I can confirm it works. I use a smart card reader in it. (dv8t-1200)

Great

Hi!

Thank you Yehia Amer for this guide and the files! I have a brand new HP DV8-1190eo, which I'm trying to install OSX on. I have been trying for nearly two days with various successes. My main problem is that I'm not able to get QE/CI working on my Nvidia 230M graphics card.

First I tried you method, but I could not get QE/CI working. Then I tried Mammoth guide, with installing the Mac Pro Graphics update. But the Installer kept complaining that it did not suppor my computer. (Yes, I did replace that file in System/..., repaired permissions etc. before trying).

I have also tried mixing those two guides, for instance starting with Yehias guide, trying to install the graphics update, various partitions schemes, trying with Chameleons GraphicsEnabler, but no success... OSX just hang when copying a file now (the file mentioned above in Mammoth guide), so now OSX borked again. I'm now starting my fifth or sixth installation from scratch...

Is something missing in the DSDT? Can I use some kext enablers instead? If so, which one, and *exactly* which kext do I need to remove and/or install?

Please help!! :-)

P.s. Yehia, in you guide at step 6 (starting ShowAll), my Finder always screws up. When I try to open the CD or any folder/file, the Finder restarts very fast (refreshes for half a second/second), but does not open any folder/file. I need to restart the computer with the boot CD before I can continue with step 7.

Hi!

Thank you Yehia Amer for this guide and the files! I have a brand new HP DV8-1190eo, which I'm trying to install OSX on. I have been trying for nearly two days with various successes. My main problem is that I'm not able to get QE/CI working on my Nvidia 230M graphics card.

First I tried you method, but I could not get QE/CI working. Then I tried Mammoth guide, with installing the Mac Pro Graphics update. But the Installer kept complaining that it did not suppor my computer. (Yes, I did replace that file in System/..., repaired permissions etc. before trying).

I have also tried mixing those two guides, for instance starting with Yehias guide, trying to install the graphics update, various partitions schemes, trying with Chameleons GraphicsEnabler, but no success... OSX just hang when copying a file now (the file mentioned above in Mammoth guide), so now OSX borked again. I'm now starting my fifth or sixth installation from scratch...

Is something missing in the DSDT? Can I use some kext enablers instead? If so, which one, and *exactly* which kext do I need to remove and/or install?

Please help!! :-)

P.s. Yehia, in you guide at step 6 (starting ShowAll), my Finder always screws up. When I try to open the CD or any folder/file, the Finder restarts very fast (refreshes for half a second/second), but does not open any folder/file. I need to restart the computer with the boot CD before I can continue with step 7.

You must update to 10.6.4 after that use my dsdt and remove the GraphicsEnabler boot flag

And it should work , to make sure open the widgets and add a new one if it makes some waves so you are good to go

Hello There,

After some testing here is what working/not working on DV7 3080CA i7 720QM PM55 6GB DDR3 Nvidia 230M

Not working

1) Webcam: LED turns on but no picture. I did pfix & repair permissions, used software like manycams etc but it failed to work.

System Profiler info for HP webcam

HP Webcam:

Product ID: 0x0143

Vendor ID: 0x5986

Version: 0.14

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Bison Electronics Inc.

Location ID: 0x1d150000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 500

2) I'm dual booting Mac/Win7.

Time in Mac is good. But my BIOS reset on every restart/reboot. Hence, if i boot in Win7 time is wrong.

3) Built in wireless

Not tested

1) Turbo boost

Working

Everything ... even hp touch smart keys

But for Battery icon - I have to use Voodoo kext to see battey icon.

TP Link WN321G USB Wireless adapter is working ;)

Please help for my webcam i can't use video in skype ;)

and time issue for win7 when dual boot

Thanks in advance

You must update to 10.6.4 after that use my dsdt and remove the GraphicsEnabler boot flag

And it should work , to make sure open the widgets and add a new one if it makes some waves so you are good to go

Hi!

Thank you for the fast reply! During my first original tests, I used your dsdt and did not have the GraphicsEnabler boot flag enabled (until my later tests). Finally I got my system up, but it seems to freeze very often. QE/CI works (I got the ripple effect when adding widgets), but it does not report QE/CI in System Profiler which fooled my thinking it did not work (slap on my head).

Before I installed the 10.6.4 Combo update I used Pacifist to get the Mac Pro Book graphics update 1.3 pack installed. It did not work to install it the way Mammoth described in his guide.

So now I got 10.6.4 with the latest security patches, graphics update, QE/CI! But the system freezes a lot. Hmmm.... I will test some more. Could it be the manually (Pacifist) installed graphics update?

I don't know if this has to do something with the system instability, but I use a modified Mammoth smbios.plist in the Extras folder. I have removed everything from it from the serial text and down. (I just want my system to show it's a Mac Book Pro). Your dsdt is much better showing correct memory and speed :-)

Thank you very much, hope you'll continue the development!

Cheers!

I have the dv4t-1600

Specs:

CPU

Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T6600 @ 2.20GHz 49 °C

Penryn 45nm Technology

RAM

3.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-15)

Motherboard

Hewlett-Packard 30F7 (CPU)

Graphics

Generic PnP Monitor @ 1280x800

Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Hard Drives

313GB TOSHIBA TOSHIBA MK3256GSY ATA Device (Unknown)

Optical Drives

hp DVDRAM GT30L ATA Device

Will this work for my laptop?

I dont have any dual layers with me so I have the retail 10.6.3 on a usb and so when the bootcd loads I just choose usb and after a while it says Waiting for dsmos...

And a good while later it says DSMOS has arrived and then says something like exit 0 and it did that like 3-4 times, but after hours still never booted. Does anyone know how to fix this