[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

i tried to rebrand my card but at this step , ubuntu does not see my wireless card , so i don't know what to do !!!!!!!

also if i rebrand my card , do i have to add it to my hp bios white list ????

Sincerely I don't know what is wrong. But first of all, if ubuntu don't see your card, it seems to be incorrectly installed... so you can try from windows? For stop at this point you know. And talking in same direction, about rebrand your card, you would know that "HP WhiteList thing" need to be do it previously, which is a dangerous process... I meant add your card to the WL or disable the entire WL. Im assuming you know all that my friend.

I want to do it too, the two process: whitelist and rebranding, but first Im learning from this sources: Site 1, Site 2 and Site 3.

For testing :)

ITD 92HD75B3X5 & nVidia GeForce GT 230M

Works :

- IntSpeaker & Headphone (LineOut) - in autodetect

- Mic & LineIn (Gane + Noise) - in autodetect

- SPDIFOut

+ HDMI in DSDT :)

fully working :angel:

The new CPU section in DSDT for i7 720M (reduced CPU temperature by 10 degrees)

WOW Taptun, that's great! Which exact laptop have you got ( DV8-XXXX / DV6-XXXX ) ?

Can i use it in my DV8 with core i7 720QM, like yours? I have a DV8-1150EL (core i7-720qm,6 gb ram ddr3-1333, geforce gt230m,intel HM55 mobo).

I would love the idea of reducing the temperature of my i7-mobile cpu !

In case you need my ssdt (and all) acpi tables i include them here (extracted from both linux ubuntu and everest... you will find the relative name suffix in the zip name with ACPI tables inside). Feel free to do the modifications to my dsdt according to ssdt tables you will find here. I would love the idea of reducing temp or increasing performance at the same speed, like jy371 has!!

About Audio, should i put your AppleHDA inside S/L/E without any LegacyKext file for audio in E/E ? Is it a patched AppleHDA for our IDT so that *NO* LegacyKext in E/E is necessary?

Thanks a lot Taptun!!

Mal

dv8tables_everest.zip

DV8TablesLinux.zip

For testing :)

ITD 92HD75B3X5 & nVidia GeForce GT 230M

Works :

- IntSpeaker & Headphone (LineOut) - in autodetect

- Mic & LineIn (Gane + Noise) - in autodetect

- SPDIFOut

+ HDMI in DSDT ;)

fully working :)

The new CPU section in DSDT for i7 720M (reduced CPU temperature by 10 degrees)

i tried to apply your HDMI fix but i can't there are alot of compiling errors, i think i also applied the cpu fix

i attached my dsdt so please take a look

yehiaAmer_dsdt.zip

Hi,

is this working for my hp dv7-1996eg ?

The spec's are following:

4GB RAM

Core 2 Duo P8400, 2,26 Ghz

2x 320 GB hard drives

Geforce 9600M GT

The problem is, that I can't enable AHCI in bios.. I have the original 10.6 on my hard drive but it won't boot.. after reading a lot, I know, that I have to enable AHCI (or disable ? don't know as it's been a while since playing around with SL...). But I can't because the {censored} sucking bios won't let me, as it's very castrated and not that functionable..

Any clue ?

Thanks and sorry 4 my English, as I'm German..

WOW Taptun, that's great! Which exact laptop have you got ( DV8-XXXX / DV6-XXXX ) ?

Can i use it in my DV8 with core i7 720QM, like yours? I have a DV8-1150EL (core i7-720qm,6 gb ram ddr3-1333, geforce gt230m,intel HM55 mobo).

I would love the idea of reducing the temperature of my i7-mobile cpu !

In case you need my ssdt (and all) acpi tables i include them here (extracted from both linux ubuntu and everest... you will find the relative name suffix in the zip name with ACPI tables inside). Feel free to do the modifications to my dsdt according to ssdt tables you will find here. I would love the idea of reducing temp or increasing performance at the same speed, like jy371 has!!

About Audio, should i put your AppleHDA inside S/L/E without any LegacyKext file for audio in E/E ? Is it a patched AppleHDA for our IDT so that *NO* LegacyKext in E/E is necessary?

Thanks a lot Taptun!!

Mal

I have laptop DV6-2090er (core i7-720qm,4 gb ram ddr3-1333, geforce gt230m,intel PM55).

Almost everything works

No working - jmicron 5 in 1 (SDHC)

Changing WiFi : Broadcom BCM94312HMG (14e4,4315) on Atheros AR5BHB92 (168c,002A) , Works without patch BIOS laptop :unsure:

Your DSDT look at these days :D

Taptun

I have laptop DV6-2090er (core i7-720qm,4 gb ram ddr3-1333, geforce gt230m,intel PM55).

Almost everything works

No working - jmicron 5 in 1 (SDHC)

Changing WiFi : Broadcom BCM94312HMG (14e4,4315) on Atheros AR5BHB92 (168c,002A) , Works without patch BIOS laptop :)

Your DSDT look at these days :D

Taptun

Thank you very much!!

I will wait for your modified dsdt then :)

Mal

EDIT1: Hi Taptun, You can use the dsdt modified by kizwan for me : http://www.mediafire.com/?w1fm1x2gwauvkl2 . You may modify it and add the cpu parts in it. The dsdt in the zip files in my previous post are clean acpi tables extracted from everest.

EDIT2: I tried to modify my dsdt with CPU mod by Taptun . You can see it in attachment if it's correct. I have no advantages using it tho .. i dont have higher geekbench score like jy371 ... dunno why. Please check if my dsdt is correct. Thanks!

dsdtDV8e.dsl.zip

I have similar situation while testing Kokomal kernel. If you are using Kokomal kernel, you shall remove AppleProfileFamily.kext from S/L/E.

Cheers,

Hi jy371,

i did the modifications to my dsdt with the cpu part by Taptun but geekbench gives me the same results (about 5600). What did you do to have 6600 in geekbench ? Which kernel are you using ? Which flags have you got in com.boot.Boot.plist (CStates, PStates, and so on)?

Thanks!

Mal

Hi jy371,

i did the modifications to my dsdt with the cpu part by Taptun but geekbench gives me the same results (about 5600). What did you do to have 6600 in geekbench ? Which kernel are you using ? Which flags have you got in com.boot.Boot.plist (CStates, PStates, and so on)?

Thanks!

Mal

Need run the LPC

I gave legacyLPC + add it to your DSDT :)

Device (LPCB)
		 {
			 Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000)
			 Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			 {
				 Store (Package (0x02)
					 {
						 "device-id", 
						 Buffer (0x04)
						 {
							 0x03, 0x3B, 0x00, 0x00
						 }
					 }, Local0)
				 DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				 Return (Local0)
			 }

Taptun :D

Need run the LPC

I gave legacyLPC + add it to your DSDT ;)

Device (LPCB)
		 {
			 Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000)
			 Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			 {
				 Store (Package (0x02)
					 {
						 "device-id", 
						 Buffer (0x04)
						 {
							 0x03, 0x3B, 0x00, 0x00
						 }
					 }, Local0)
				 DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				 Return (Local0)
			 }

Taptun :(

Thank you Taptun!

Should i add GenerateCStates=Yes and GeneratePStates=Yes flags in com.apple.Boot.plist ?

And i am using the very latest trunk of chameleon... do you think is it a problem ?

Mal

EDIT : I already have this change in dsdt (0x02, 0x3B, 0x00, 0x00) from kizwan mod of my dsdt and LPCB device was loaded fine even without LegaceAppleLPC.kext, since i already see it in IORegistry ... perhaps i am wrong, but it's enough to view it in IORegistry to understand if it's loaded or not i guess.

Thank you Taptun!

Should i add GenerateCStates=Yes and GeneratePStates=Yes flags in com.apple.Boot.plist ?

And i am using the very latest trunk of chameleon... do you think is it a problem ?

Mal

GenerateCStates=No and GeneratePStates=No and DropSSDT=No

"And i am using the very latest trunk of chameleon... do you think is it a problem ?" - NO !!!

;)

Taptun

GenerateCStates=No and GeneratePStates=No and DropSSDT=No

"And i am using the very latest trunk of chameleon... do you think is it a problem ?" - NO !!!

:)

Taptun

Still the same ... 5635 benchmark in geekbench :D

Did you give a look to my modded dsdt if it's ok ? i posted it above ...

Thanks!

Mal

PS: I already had this change and also without LegacyAppleLPC.kext, LPC was loaded becahse LPCB word is present in IORegistry ...

First off... hats off to Mammoth + all the dedicated contributors. Absolutely unbelievable to find such a concise guide with no BS or presumptions about the user. Just WOW.

So, I've spent the good part of a week now trying to make it all work. Before anyone asks... I've followed the guide (1.15) extremely carefully. (About 4? times now.) I know from reading through this thread that it's worked for others. Why am I unique? (Don't answer that.)

Hardware: DV8T-1000, 4GB RAM BIOS F.25

Problem 1: Stability in OSX - I have two reocurring symptoms: Symptom A ) Occasionally the GUI stops responding to keyboard and clicks. The mouse still moves, but mouseclicks and keystroked are not processed. No amounting of waiting helps. Symptom B ) Very frequently the system freezes completely... sometimes after just a few seconds, sometime a few minutes. The worst is when it happens in the middle of a permissions repair or pfix. This has corrupted the image at times and forced a reimage. Grrr. It seems to be a bit more stable with trackpad disabled, but that could be my imagination. Absolutely no custom KEXTs here. I did it by the book. Am I alone here? I could buy that I missed a step once or maybe twice, but I've reinstalled from scratch at least 4 times, maybe 5 (lost count + mind). Any thoughts on where to start?

Problem 2: Dual boot OSX & Windows 7. I had an already "in-use" Windows install I wanted to save. Saved it off to a NAS using the partdisk utility in Ubuntu. My basic process= Repartion in GPT according to guide. Install OSX + chameleon+post install. Restore Win 7 to DOS\NTFS partition. Boot Win7 repair disk and use cmd-line diskpart util. to set that partition active. Reboot. Choose Win7 (which is recognized by Chameleon). Reports Bootmgr missing. No amount of automatic repair or BCD editing will make Win7 bootable at that point. The only thing that works is: first use bootrec /fixmbr to screw up the MBR (which hoses chameleon). Then (and only then) will automatic repair fix it to the point that it's bootable. By this point though it has rewritten the partition table with MBR entries for itself plus the RECOVERY partition and SYSTEM partition that the disk came with from the factory. (How does it remember these and how to rid myself of them?) Now I can get into Windows. Restart back into OSX with Mammoth boot disk. It won't let me reinstall chameleon because the partitions are messed up and back to MBR type. I've tried using gptsync and gpt fdiskboth to fix things. This will fix the partition table but also hoses something else (the disk sig maybe?) so now Windows is back to "bootmgr missing" I'm going in around in circles here. Any options guys?

I feel like I'm so close... yet completion evades me. What to do? My hair is now gray and my wife is filing for divorce (because I'm spending too much time with the digital mistress). Help?

Thanks very much and may the force be with ME!

Modified ApplePS2Controller.kext for DV7 Synaptics Trackpad:

Archive.zip

1) The kext in MousePrefpane will show your trackpad settings in mouse prefpane, so that you don't need to modify Trackpad.prefpane as Mammoth suggested.

2) The kext in 2FingerScroll will activate the vanilla Trackpad.prefpane with two finger scrolling options. If you want to adjust the feel or properties, edit ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext/Contents/Info.plist

where FingerZ for touch pressure threshold and MultiFingerWLimit for distinguish one/two finger gesture. The downside is that you shall double tap instead of a click and triple tap instead of double click.

Below shows the best settings for Synaptics Touchpad v6.5:

<key>Synaptics TouchPad</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>org.voodoo.driver.PS2Trackpad</string>
		<key>Configuration</key>
		<dict>
			<key>StabilizeTapping</key>
			<true/>
			<key>MaxTapTime</key>
			<integer>100000000</integer>
			<key>UseHighRate</key>
			<true/>
			<key>FingerZ</key>
			<integer>55</integer>
			<key>TopEdge</key>
			<integer>4200</integer>
			<key>BottomEdge</key>
			<integer>1700</integer>
			<key>LeftEdge</key>
			<integer>1700</integer>
			<key>RightEdge</key>
			<integer>5200</integer>
			<key>CenterY</key>
			<integer>3000</integer>
			<key>CenterX</key>
			<integer>3000</integer>
			<key>HorizontalScrollDivisor</key>
			<integer>30</integer>
			<key>StickyHorizontalScrolling</key>
			<false/>
			<key>VerticalScrollDivisor</key>
			<integer>30</integer>
			<key>StickyVerticalScrolling</key>
			<false/>
			<key>CircularScrollDivisor</key>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<key>CircularScrollTrigger</key>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<key>MultiFingerHorizontalDivisor</key>
			<integer>30</integer>
			<key>MultiFingerVerticalDivisor</key>
			<integer>25</integer>
			<key>MultiFingerWLimit</key>
			<integer>5</integer>
			<key>StickyMultiFingerScrolling</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Divisor</key>
			<integer>23</integer>
		</dict>

Thanks to the Voodoo Team who made the 2fingerScroll VoodooPS2Controller.kext and Dong made a 64bit version for SL; I just modified the settings only.

Cheers,

Joe

Hi jy371,

Thanks!

Mal

@Mal, when I move the LegacyAppleLPC.kext to C/E/E, my DV7 boots fine and everything works except geekbench64 scores 5600. Then, I move it back to S/L/E, the geekbench64 scores 6500 again and the fan speed varies.

Cheers,

@Mal, when I move the LegacyAppleLPC.kext to C/E/E, my DV7 boots fine and everything works except geekbench64 scores 5600. Then, I move it back to S/L/E, the geekbench64 scores 6500 again and the fan speed varies.

Cheers,

Hi jy371,

thanks for replying.

2 questions :

1) are you running 64 bit kernel (x86_64) ?

2) are you using geekbench64 ?

I am running 32 bit kernel and i am running geekbench32 (free version).

Can you please try with this 2 options if you get the same results of me ?

Thanks!

Mal

Hi jy371,

thanks for replying.

2 questions :

1) are you running 64 bit kernel (x86_64) ?

2) are you using geekbench64 ?

I am running 32 bit kernel and i am running geekbench32 (free version).

Can you please try with this 2 options if you get the same results of me ?

Thanks!

Mal

Yes, my DV7 runs in 64 bit mode with Kokomal_kernel; using geekbench64 with 6556.

When I ran geekbench32 on 64bit kernel, it scored 5312 see attachment. I can't get 32bit kernel, whatever I use -force32 or arch=x86_32.GB32_x64.zip

Cheers,

Hi kizwan, Taptun, yehia Amer, jy371 or anybody,

I really losst touch with OS X on dv8t. I have the dv8t-1200 model with F.24 BIOS and wanted to jump into the excellent progress made by gurus so far.

I would like to begin fresh with 1.5 of the Mammoth Boot CD. On top of this, I would like to know if the following are working:

a. Power Management (wanted to make i7 run cooler)

b. Battery

c. Brightness (System Preferences and/or Fn. keys)

d. C-State and other misc stuff.

e. Trackpad

f. HP Remote w/ FrontRow.

h. Native audio with internal mic and speakers working with no pop audio issue.

i. Dual booting with Windows 7 on the same HDD.

j. Any other stuff deemed important.

Wrt, wireless, I have bought the AirLink101 AWL5088 UltraMini USB Wifi adapater which has now support for OS X. Wanted to try it soon!

Do I have to update the BIOS to F.25 or something newer before I start with the 1.5 boot CD?

I'm know I'm asking more. I read each and every page and really confused on where to begin after installing 1.5 of the Boot CD.

Please help.

Thanks.

@Mac Man 50,

a. Power Management (wanted to make i7 run cooler) -- Yes, Taptun can patch the DSDT to have speedstep for core i7.

b. Battery

e. Trackpad -- I posted ApplePS2Controller.kext which has 2 fingers scrolling.

f. HP Remote w/ FrontRow. -- Yes, the remote works with frontrow if you using Mammoth boot CD v1.15.

I found the kext for JMicron card reader, but it reads SD card only.

My last wish is to have Brightness on prefpane.

Cheers,

Joe

@Mac Man 50,

a. Power Management (wanted to make i7 run cooler) -- Yes, Taptun can patch the DSDT to have speedstep for core i7.

b. Battery

e. Trackpad -- I posted ApplePS2Controller.kext which has 2 fingers scrolling.

f. HP Remote w/ FrontRow. -- Yes, the remote works with frontrow if you using Mammoth boot CD v1.15.

I found the kext for JMicron card reader, but it reads SD card only.

My last wish is to have Brightness on prefpane.

Cheers,

Joe

hi jy371,

thanks for these informations!

I would really like if you can explain me something:

1) you said you found a driver for sdhc jmicron controller. Does it read also sdhc? Or sd only(as you said)? Or were you referring to other formats, like memorystick,etc? Did you put it into E/E or S/L/E?

2) my remote control does not work with front row... I used mammoth cd . Can you explain us how to have remote control working with osx & frontrow?

3) you also have 2 fingers tap and zoom/rotate like a true macbook trackpad in the ps2 driver you modified?

Thanks!

Mal

hi jy371,

thanks for these informations!

I would really like if you can explain me something:

1) you said you found a driver for sdhc jmicron controller. Does it read also sdhc? Or sd only(as you said)? Or were you referring to other formats, like memorystick,etc? Did you put it into E/E or S/L/E?

2) my remote control does not work with front row... I used mammoth cd . Can you explain us how to have remote control working with osx & frontrow?

3) you also have 2 fingers tap and zoom/rotate like a true macbook trackpad in the ps2 driver you modified?

Thanks!

Mal

@Mal, I found VoodooSDHC.kext works on my DV7; as the name suggests and my testing, it works on SD and SDHC cards. MemoryStick doesn't work with this kext. E/E and S/L/E will do the job.

When I first time used Mammoth v1.15 CD to boot 10.6.4, I had remote worked on FrontRow. After upgraded with Taptun DSDT and some kexts, the remote cannot work now.

No, the kext only makes trackpad with two finger scrolling, tapping and dragging; not zoom/rotate...

Cheers,

Joe

I have an HP laptop dv7-3160, that fails to work well with sound, even though I have the same chip that a macbookpro6.1. The volume controls do not respond well and will hibernate and you hear a crackling sound all the same.

(00:1 B.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio [8086:3 B56] (rev 05), 01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation Device [10th of: 0be3] (rev a1))

I have several arrangements for my dsdt work, but I've got several warning, can help solve the dsdt?

Forgive my English, I'm Spanish

Thanks for everything

yehia Amer , try :unsure:

thanks Taptun tried it and HDMI works :D , but without sound :(

also when i try to access "PCI Cards info" on "about this mac" , while the original DSDT don't

one another thing, i don't want the laptop to sleep when i close my monitor

what do you think

Interesting observation re: screen brightness.

OS x seems to "remember" what the brightness was in my windows boot. That is, if I turn brightness down over in windows, and reboot into OS X, my screen is now dimmer in OS X.

Any thoughts?

Also, I seem to crash once every time I try to use OS X, then I can reboot and run well indefinitely. Even more when running off of battery, but I do notice an error during startup with the AppleCPUPowerManagement kext, could these be related?

Thanks!

Dylan

thanks Taptun tried it and HDMI works :D , but without sound :(

also when i try to access "PCI Cards info" on "about this mac" , while the original DSDT don't

one another thing, i don't want the laptop to sleep when i close my monitor

what do you think

You are using my kekst for sound?

Probably only works with it (Apple HDA.kext) correctly :D

If you use another kekst for zuka, compare and adapt their kekst under HDMI adapter

If you have different ID, you must patch Hext (for HDMI)

Taptun :)