[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

I tried but I couldn't get it working. May be I couldn't apply the hack quite right.

Could you please apply that hack to my DSDT. May be there is also something else missing.

DSDT.aml.zip

If this still doesn't work then I assume I need to patch my device id.

Taptun,

I would like to reduce CPU temperature of my DV7, but don't know about DSDT editing. Please give step by step instruction for CPU section in DSDT.

Thank you in advance!

Joe

Give me your DSDT and SSDT, I'll try to do :(

@Taptun, if you don't get screen while your laptop being hooked up to an HDMI port, then this hack doesn't work for me.

I am using AppleHDA from 10.6.2. When I have time I'll try the recent version and finally patch my device id to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for your time.

@Taptun, if you don't get screen while your laptop being hooked up to an HDMI port, then this hack doesn't work for me.

I am using AppleHDA from 10.6.2. When I have time I'll try the recent version and finally patch my device id to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for your time.

Source :(

HDMI

Why don't I see this preference setting on my HP notebook but on my desktop hack?

h987cv9xmdzm1saa860e.png

Because my HP notebook has a PS2 keyboard and MacBookPro's a USB variant? I guess so but I'm just looking for a confirmation from someone who know stuff better than I do.

Another thing I am wondering about it this button ("Replacing Batteries...") on my Keyboard pref pane. I mean that shouldn't be there on notebooks. Might this be the result of voodoops2 kext or is my notebook's keyboard initialized in the wrong way?

Also. Do I need the TrackpadPrefpane from the first post, in order to enable settings for my notebook trackpad, or am I reading it wrong?

Sorry for asking these silly questions, but I'm new to notebook hacks.

p.s. My notebook's 'PM Profile' (in FACP.dsl) is set to 2 (no desktop) and the energy settings are fine.

Give me your DSDT and SSDT, I'll try to do :D

@Taptun, Please find the attached DSDT and SSDT which are extracted by get_acpi_tables.py. I am using the DSDT.aml from Mammoth Boot CD v1.15. DSDT_SSDT.zip

If you can patch the DSDT.aml to have speedstep for i720qm, that will benefit most of DVx laptop users. :blush:

Thank you in advance!

Joe

@Taptun, Please find the attached DSDT and SSDT which are extract by get_acpi_tables.py. I am using the DSDT.aml from Mammoth Boot CD v1.15. DSDT_SSDT.zip

If you can patch the DSDT.aml to have speedstep for i720qm, that will benefit most of DVx laptop users. :)

Thank you in advance!

Joe

Necessary all the 5 tables SSDT :D

Can be taken from the Everest (from under Windows)

jy371

Try :)

I replaced the DSDT.aml with that in jy371 and it works without AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. It stops booting if AppleCPUPowerManagement in place.

When I copy your AppleHDA.kext to S/L/E; sound and the mute button work too. :tomato:

The CPU temperature is around 60C at norm and around 70C running Geekbench. It's seemed that the CPU temperature is the same as before, using Mammoth's DSDT.aml. However, I found that the fan whined once while high temperature.

Thank you for the modified DSDT which makes the mute button works.

Joe

I replaced the DSDT.aml with that in jy371 and it works without AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. It stops booting if AppleCPUPowerManagement in place.

When I copy your AppleHDA.kext to S/L/E; sound and the mute button work too. :P

The CPU temperature is around 60C at norm and around 70C running Geekbench. It's seemed that the CPU temperature is the same as before, using Mammoth's DSDT.aml. However, I found that the fan whined once while high temperature.

Thank you for the modified DSDT which makes the mute button works.

Joe

AppleLPC.kext loaded?

Use LegacyAppleLPC.kext :D

AppleLPC.kext loaded?

Use LegacyAppleLPC.kext :D

Yes, I had AppleLPC.kext loaded in S/L/E.

This time, I loaded LegacyAppleLPC.kext in S/L/E and deleted AppleLPC.kext. Pfixed and reboot; the CPU temp. is the same.

Should I load AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext back? Should I use Vanilla kernel or Kakamol?

Cheers,

Joe

Yes, I had AppleLPC.kext loaded in S/L/E.

This time, I loaded LegacyAppleLPC.kext in S/L/E and deleted AppleLPC.kext. Pfixed and reboot; the CPU temp. is the same.

Should I load AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext back? Should I use Vanilla kernel or Kakamol?

Cheers,

Joe

LegacyAppleLPC.keхt complements AppleLPC.keхt

Return (S/L/E):

- AppleLPC.keхt + LegacyAppleLPC.keхt

- AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

without it will not work SpeedStep :P

And use Kakamol kernel + boot (from iFabio R518)

Taptun :)

LegacyAppleLPC.keхt complements AppleLPC.keхt

Return (S/L/E):

- AppleLPC.keхt + LegacyAppleLPC.keхt

- AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

without it will not work SpeedStep ;)

And use Kakamol kernel + boot (from iFabio R518)

Taptun :rolleyes:

Thank you Taptun,

I did put back AppleLPC.keхt LegacyAppleLPC.keхt AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to S/L/E and replace the boot file with iFabio's.

It boots faster than before and Geekbench score 1000 higher (from 5555 to 6553). I can hear the cooling fan spinning in various speed depend on temperature. The CPU temperature is several degree lower (53C idle and 63C running Geekbench).

Thanks again and I like the result. :) :)

Joe

I'm having a very odd problem. If I boot with -x, the boot time is really fast, but if I boot normally, it goes to a blue screen and appears to hang, but if I leave it for 10 mins or so it continues and boots into osx and everything works fine. Its obviously a kext issue, but I have no idea what kext could be causing this. Perhaps the audio? I dunno. Anyone seen this before? (ran pfix and disk utility in -s mode, so all should be good)

I'm having a very odd problem. If I boot with -x, the boot time is really fast, but if I boot normally, it goes to a blue screen and appears to hang, but if I leave it for 10 mins or so it continues and boots into osx and everything works fine. Its obviously a kext issue, but I have no idea what kext could be causing this. Perhaps the audio? I dunno. Anyone seen this before? (ran pfix and disk utility in -s mode, so all should be good)

I have similar situation while testing Kokomal kernel. If you are using Kokomal kernel, you shall remove AppleProfileFamily.kext from S/L/E.

Cheers,

I have similar situation while testing Kokomal kernel. If you are using Kokomal kernel, you shall remove AppleProfileFamily.kext from S/L/E.

Cheers,

Awesome! Thanks for the tip! Is this a known problem with the Kokomal kernel? Also is there any work around besides removing this kext?

Edit: Nevermind it is a known problem. So whats in this kext that makes this happen? Anyone know?

Thanks!

Cheers,

All this can be avoided if the 10.6.3 Retail installation with a patched 10.6.3 kernel

I dont delete and no backups kexts ;)

P.S. but generally, the idea of patching the kernel, belongs yehia Amer

so that I would not call kernel_kokomala ;)

Now there are 1 problem :

CD-reader (jmicron , 5 in 1)

Taptun :wacko:

@yehia Amer, Hi, if you have using a DSDT, maybe your problem coming from there, because in your captures: one (PCI cards) appear the wlan attached to pci slot 2, and in IOReg capture (the most reliable for me) appear RP01 (slot 1)... I think can be fixed from DSDT way, by injecting it on the proper address and deleting the pci wrong/unnecessary (SUN) part, which would have to be "AirPort" slot name (genuine MacBook since late 2007 models)... So, upload your dsdt, I will take a look.

@yehia Amer, Hi, if you have using a DSDT, maybe your problem coming from there, because in your captures: one (PCI cards) appear the wlan attached to pci slot 2, and in IOReg capture (the most reliable for me) appear RP01 (slot 1)... I think can be fixed from DSDT way, by injecting it on the proper address and deleting the pci wrong/unnecessary (SUN) part, which would have to be "AirPort" slot name (genuine MacBook since late 2007 models)... So, upload your dsdt, I will take a look.

thanks for your help , i think you are right because i tried to play with my dsdt from a week ago to fix this problem and now the card appears twice as "AirPort Extreme", but it don't work

post-307642-1286196447_thumb.png

and as "other Network Controller"

post-307642-1286196342_thumb.png

those are the ioreg screen shots and the ioreg.rtf if you need it

post-307642-1286196471_thumb.png

post-307642-1286196500_thumb.png

ioreg.rtf

finally my DSDT

dsdt.aml.zip

and thanks again for your help

thanks for your help , i think you are right because i tried to play with my dsdt from a week ago to fix this problem and now the card appears twice as "AirPort Extreme", but it don't work

and as "other Network Controller"

those are the ioreg screen shots and the ioreg.rtf if you need it

finally my DSDT

and thanks again for your help

You can try the attached... I think should works. But please consider that AirPort Extreme its just cosmetic on PCI section (system profile). I commented out those parts on your dsdt. Is NOT cosmetic if appear on Network -- (AirPort) part as Extreme card (rebranding). In fact, real macbook (since late 2007) AirPort not appear as PCI Cards..., but appear on Ethernet Cards as "other Network Controller" or "AirPort" (dsdt). So, if you want to recognize as real (Apple genuine) Extreme, then you need to rebrand your card, which is the procedure mentioned in current topic. The rest of dsdt hacks are unnecessaries apply to your broadcom (pci14e4,4353) which is native (not including Apple "subsystem-id" and "subsystem-vendor-id" of course).

Notes: If you want to know what I did, look the .dsl for reference. Also, maybe its necessary to add/activate (+ button) manually the AirPort interface on System Preferences -- Network. Good Luck.

You can try the attached... I think should works. But please consider that AirPort Extreme its just cosmetic on PCI section (system profile). I commented out those parts on your dsdt. Is NOT cosmetic if appear on Network -- (AirPort) part as Extreme card (rebranding). In fact, real macbook (since late 2007) AirPort not appear as PCI Cards..., but appear on Ethernet Cards as "other Network Controller" or "AirPort" (dsdt). So, if you want to recognize as real (Apple genuine) Extreme, then you need to rebrand your card, which is the procedure mentioned in current topic. The rest of dsdt hacks are unnecessaries apply to your broadcom (pci14e4,4353) which is native (not including Apple "subsystem-id" and "subsystem-vendor-id" of course).

Notes: If you want to know what I did, look the .dsl for reference. Also, maybe its necessary to add/activate (+ button) manually the AirPort interface on System Preferences -- Network. Good Luck.

i didn't work :) Although the card is detected on the the ioreg and the AppleAirPortBrcm43224.kext is loaded ,

it is not detected on system info or on System Preferences at all not even showed as before

what do you think the problem is ?

ioreg_after_dsdt_fix.rtf

i tried to rebrand my card but at this step , ubuntu does not see my wireless card , so i don't know what to do !!!!!!!

Once everything is ready , now here comes the crucial part , type

SSB_SPROM=$(find /sys/devices -name ssb_sprom)

and then followed by echo $SSB_SPROM

If you see something like /sys/device/pci/<numbers>/ssb_sprom. Then you’re in luck. But when you type echo $SSB_SPROM and you get nothing. You should stop now as ubuntu does not see your wireless card. However if you see more then 1 entry , you should consider reading this

also if i rebrand my card , do i have to add it to my hp bios white list ????

I'm back!!! after a long lull.

I was extremely busy with my work and now I can breath for a little while!!!

Btw, I found this exciting news!!!

AirLink Wireless N Ultra Mini USB Adapater now works for Mac OS X. They have released a new driver for Macintosh. With this, there is no need to mess with hardware etc. It is a very small USB adapater and needs a dedicated USB slot which should not be a problem since dv8t comes with 4 USB ports.

http://airlink101.com/products/awll5088.php

Btw, where is Mammoth, kizwan and others? Come back :)