Antique Hackintosh

Dradis

21 posts in this topic

For those of you too young to remember, there was a time before such luxuries as retail installs, GUI boot loaders, or even patched install disks. So I though I might reminisce about the good-ol-days (read "bad-ol-days").

My first hackintosh was on my old P4 build, with SSE2 only. It took me weeks to get the deadmoo image working. Not to mention that I had to use Windows, Linux, and my old G3 Mac to do it. But never since then have I felt as much joy as I did the first time I saw that soft blue wallpaper with its 2-D dock show up on my hideous beige CRT.

Of course this hackintosh was certainly not for day to day use. I still had to dual boot windows with the old chain0 method. After all, this mac stuff was far to unstable to be any thing more than a fun experiment and everyone knew it would always be that way.

We really have come a long way. Now making a hackintosh is almost as straight forward as installing windows just the way our hardware makers intended. So, just for :(-n-giggles, whats your oldest hackintosh memory? I've heard legends of people porting mac to x86 even before apple did, all the way back to 10.0 - the first unix based Mac OS. Anyone have any stories about that?

Oh, and BTW, I still remember deadmoo's password - BOVINITY!!!!

No old stories to tell (only entered into this world at iATKOS v7) but...

Massive props for that old one you had, sure your perseverance has made it easier for us lot now.

Mine first was Deadmoo on a AMD Optiron 142, on nforce 3 mobo. and i was proud as f**k because osx was running on that amd/nforce set... it took a week or so to get it running, there was no internet, no gfx (I had a Geforce FX5600 i belive in that machine), but hey it was osx running on a AMD... ;)

My last hack was:

i7 on DX58SO, 6GB ram, GTX260

Q8300 on Zotac 9300, 4GB ram, Onboard GF9300 chipset/gfx (Same as the 9400m)

Zotac ION, 4GB ram, Onboard GF9400 chipset/gfx.

Yeah, I remember DDing the deadmoo image from windows...! I had a P4 nordwood (SSE2 only) and a 865G chipset ASUS motherboard. No Graphics acceleration, no internet, no sound...

For me it didnt become really usable until 10.4.7/8 when semthex (remember?) released the first compiled kernel (maybe not the first) with embed SSE3 emulator. At the time I bought a FX5200 AGP to use with the brand new natit driver; I was amazed having QE/CI supported at last!

BlackCH

I remember the semtex kernels also really well... at that time i was on a Dell Inspiron 9300 with a nvidia geforce 7300go and at home i had a c2d i belive with a 8800gt if i remember correct... i was still on nforce mobo then but that changed fast as i did upgrade to c2q 6600 when there prices dropped the first time, and got a gigabyte p35 mobo... after that it was smooth from there... Then came the first leopard using brazilmac's script. Thoes was the times... before psystar and all the easy ways to install... when you still could impress with a hack... lol... :)

I'm not sure about the dates but it was july or august '05 that I had it up & runnning. I first heard of os x going intel on slashdot. Building my own mac had been a dream ever since I realised my first powermac was neither going to do what I needed it to, nor be upgradeable. I next found the leaked 10.4.1 dev.kit DVD on a torrent site, and realising as the information became available on IRC (#osx86 on r-type.ca, the same channel that lives on to this day as #osx86 on moofspeak.net) that none of my existing hardware would cut it, I ordered an intel motherboard, celeron d (cheapest sse3 cpu I could find, the sse2 patch wasn't ready at this stage) and a harddrive online, and by the time it arrived I had the DVD downloaded, patched and burned according to the "state of the art" at the time, essentially just replacing oah750 with a patched version.

I remember well showing it to a mac user friend, who started looking around for the mac I had my monitor hooked up to, thinking it was hidden behind the curtain or something. It took a little convincing for him to accept that it was actually running on that homemade PC, and his only comment in the end was a begrudging "10.4.1 isn't the newest version anymore" (of course 10.4.2 never made it into hackintoshes due to paranoia about Apple watermarking the releases).

Install and setup from there was as if they had been made in a factory for each other, and the machine worked wonderfully,only niggle being the lack of sound input. I ran it (along with others I aquired along the way) up until about 10.5.1 when I decided it was getting old & replaced it. I miss those days, all bar the paranoia (Apple really was out to get us back then) but we are undeniably better off today with all the incredible leaps that have been made in technique..

Those early days of 10.4.1 -> 10.4.3 were a lot of fun.. underground, small, simple. There were no vast amounts of alternatives.. if you wanted a solution you had to invent it yourself, or do without. The hardest install ever was the first non-developer release, 10.4.4, which needed 2 partitions and a whole load of messing around as well as the first patched kernel (which is where the famous maxxuss first came into the legend) just to get it set up. This was the do-or-die point for osx86, and for quite some time it looked as though it might die. Many left the scene saying that now there were intel macs, there was no need for osx86 any more. That same 10.4.4 kernel was the basis of everything up to the first 10.4.8 releases.. stability somewhat suffering from the increasing "patchwork" nature of the releases, until finally Apple honoured their opensource commitment & released the source code to the xnu kernel around 10.4.8, and I got to watch semthex work on what became nebuchadnezar 8.8.1 (iirc) one of the first from-source kernels to come out (the other one of note being the slightly earlier, but intel/sse3 only kernel from mifki) It is strange and ironic that the arrival of open source actually split the community and caused more disharmony & wars than any other event, all happily behind us now.

Worth a mention is the "Ultra Crapintosh" which for a while held the record for the lowest recorded xbench.. it was a celeron 1.7 with 256mb ram , a 10gb IDE harddrive & a non-supported nvidia gfx card running in VESA mode. I think its overall xbench score was 17, and believe it or not, after I bricked my intel board with a bad bios flash, I ran it for a while as my main machine, doing all my daily work from it.

Happy days :rolleyes:

my first experience of os x on a pc was through an emulator called Pear PC back in '04 or '05. followed that through 10.4 and making an install disc for my dad and a few of his work colleagues thanks to Prasys and a few others that worked on the PPC project.

my first native install of OS X was 10.4.1 developers edition (still have the disc) running on my old AMD Athlon 64 socket 939 on my Asus a8v mobo (i think it's an a8v) which my wife still uses to this day. through help of the geniuses here i have been able to get full hardware support including qe/ci on my nvidia fx 5200 ultra.

it has been a cool, long journey that i hope doesnt end. installing os x onto a regular pc has become very easy to do now. in the early days of this project i remember having to edit this plist, that plist, pulling dev id's from another os for your hardware, etc etc.

i am having a slight difficulty getting snow leo to work on my current (old) rig. if you have the time, please scope out my thread at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=212593 and offer up any suggestions that i may be missing.

currently i am running 10.5.8 retail on my studio 1535 with full hw support, 2 old p4 2.6ghz sse2 machine with ideneb 10.5.6 w/ full hw support, latitude c840 laptop 1.8ghz mobile p4 512mb ram geforce 440go on 10.4.8 jas.

i have had lots of other machines running tiger or leo or have had a few people request me installing os x on their machine.

thats my story :lol:

cro, you had 10.4.1? I don't think i've had anything that old. Was it an installer or a hard drive image?

I checked out your post and gave a few suggestions. I hope it'll help, but it might just be more of what you've already tried.

You mentioned using apple updates, so maybe you can help with my issue updating to 10.6.2, since it seems no one else wants to try. Please take a look. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1425023

the 4.1 i have is a bootable install disc. in fact the first time i saw the disc work 100% oob was on a server i was building for a customer of mine (i own a small tech company). i got the parts in, and all together, and before i setup the server properly i wanted to see what the would do on a 100% intel system. that set me on the path of playing keep up with the jones and continue to use mac on various machines.

i used to be a widers guy since win2.0 on my ibm pc xt 8080 processor (which i still have). i've dabbled and played with linux, beos, and other os's got my hands on an old g3 mac back in 2000 or so and played with os x, didnt think much of it, mostly due to the ppc architecture and incompatibility between the unix, ppc combo and 'dows, x86 combo.

in fact last year a friend of mine gave me his old blueberry g3 for some computer work i did for him. well... i've decided to convert it to a pc running mac. how ironic huh lol. i've got the thing gutted of its crt and everything else. installed 15" nec mulitsyc lcd, old hp micro atx mobo and 1.6ghz p4. i'm setting it up so that it appears to be totally orginal, including rerouting the i/o ports to the side and a vga or dvi port on the back for external or dual display, but yet still able to be upgraded, except for the internal monitor. when i'm done with everything and ready to put it all together for the very last time i'll post pics or a video or something.

I had a VIA chipset based motherboard and a GF 6800 LE, it worked very well. The only thing that didn't work was usb2 but I bought a cheap NEC usb2 pci controller to fix that problem.

I was so proud of myself because I got everything to work :)

The distro I used was the infamous JAS 10.4.8. and maybe a semthex kernel?

I installed OS X just for fun because I heard someone say that it was a great OS.

If it had not been for OS X I would not have bought a macbook and would probably never tried it.

Good times installing tiger on my pc :)

My first seems like an age ago - 10.4.something on a old AMD 4800x2 on NForce motherboard.

Thing ran as sweet as a nut until I swapped it for a Badaxe2 + Core2Quad 2.4ghz. Now that ran sweet as a nut, and still is to this day. Took it up to Leopard and through onto getting Snow Leopard now :)

But I remember the days where Graphics support was limited, and complicated to get working. Spending several nights getting QE/CI working on my old 6800ultra, compared to EFI string method on my shiny 9800GT now (well, Leopard at least, SL doesn't like it :) )

Aww the good old days.

Aaah, the good old days. My first Hack was running the Marklar-Tiger iso installation on an Intel 915 Pentium4 mobo using the inspirational Maxxuss' patches. I chose the mobo because it was most like the one in the Apple Transition Kit, and was sold on it from the moment the kernel didn't panic and the Desktop first appeared. From that point on worked my way through all the tiger and leopard incarnations where names like Semthex and Jas come to mind. This forum has helped all the way and I'm grateful to everyone who has spent hours getting things to work. Now down to a modded Chameleon booter with all unused code stripped out and embedded DSDT with one additional kext in /S/L/E. Mind you, I have paid my fair share into the Apple bank account and will continue to make my own Hacks just because it's much more satisfying than buying one ready made!

My first one was my dads old Dell Dimension he gave to me when I was a kid (I think I was 12 at the time) I got the deadmoo image working pretty quick, and almost everything worked pretty well except for audio.a few months later I got a real mac, then a few years later I built an awesome hackintosh :wacko: Looks like everything came around full circle

Edit: It was a pentium 4 with an Nvidia 5200 or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...