[How To] X800 XL set up with working Display Manager and QE/CI

phoenix3200

232 posts in this topic

Great guide!

I'm experiencing an issue though. When I attempt to change resolution settings my monitor goes black with a message "Signal cannot be supported".

Any advice on how to fix that?

Thanks!

Here's what my settings look like:

Chipset Model: Radeon X800SE (AGP)

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4a4a

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

• 2 weeks later...
Great guide!

I'm experiencing an issue though. When I attempt to change resolution settings my monitor goes black with a message "Signal cannot be supported".

Any advice on how to fix that?

Thanks!

Here's what my settings look like:

Chipset Model: Radeon X800SE (AGP)

Bus: PCI

Device ID: 0x4a4a

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

You need to make sure that the resolution/refresh rate you are trying to use is supported by your monitor.

can someone please tell me what i am doing wrong? i have an ati brand pci-e x800 xl (554d) using an asus p5b-e motherboard. i have jas 10.4.8 (with ppf1 and 2) installed and can get everything else working except the video card. i can use v.2 of "the koverg method" to enable ci/qe but i get horribly scrambled windows anytime i scroll or move the windows. using the com.apple.boot.plist method, i set the resolution at 1680x1050x32 but can only get 1400x1050x32. following the directions in this thread, if i do anything at all with callisto i get the multilanguage no boot gray screen of death. i have the exact same card as the original poster, but i can't make it work. what am i not doing? thanks in advance.

Hello Community,

first of all: Thanks for the great HowTo. It helped to get my Jas 10.4.8 to recognize my x800!

second: sorry if someone gets hurt by my bad english!

Well, i still have one problem that bothers me a bit. As i said my x800 (ID: 4a49) is running, i can change resolution and refresh rate but i just cant get QE/CI running :D

I followed the whole HowTo but i have no clue what else i could do to solve it.

Maybe someone here can help me?! Thanks in advance!

Greetings from germany!

Try to install AGPGart, have same Card ID and it works perfect.

Actually I have ver. 2.2 (http://www.x86dev.org/forums/). Can also play games with good FPS.

greets

Operator

I have the same videocard as the thread originator (device ID 554d) and I followed the directions provided to a "T" (used Callisto 006). I DID implement one HUGE change however - I modified the ATI* kexts from the JaS 10.4.8 release, I didn't bother to go back to 10.4.5 or earlier. Got QE/CI and resolution switching working :-) Also got the mouse tearing, but hopefully, I can get that figured out with the help of the community as well.

Thanks

My setup:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 CPU

ASUS P5N-E SLI Motherboard (BIOS 0608)

Sapphire X800GTO^2 256MB PCI-Express Videocard

Kingston DDR2-667 ValueRAM (2 x 1GB) Memory

Maxtor 200GB UDMA/133 Hard Drive

Seagate 160GB SATA-II Hard Drive

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (USB)

Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 (USB)

Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2]

does anyone can help on this

Radeon X800 XT:

Chipset Model: Radeon X800 XT

Bus: PCIe

Device ID: 0x5d57

Displays:

L1740PQ:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Core Image: Not Supported

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.9 (8P2137)

Kernel Version: Darwin 8.9.1

thank in advance

• 1 month later...

Interesting solution and problem:

I have a Sapphire X800 AGP that I flashed to x800 XT PE, 16 pipes. R420 Chip, 4a50 device id.

Epox 9nda3I mobo w/ nForce 3 chipset

Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego

1gb ram

2 300gb pata HD, 1 200gb SATA

USB sound

Ok, so I tried the method on the first post of this thread several times, and I kept bricking OSX and needing to reinstall. (10.4.8 JaS)

I tried it step by step, and got to the point where I selectable resolutions, which was a big step for me, as I hadn't gotten that to work yet. However, system profiler kept saying my card was PCI - so I ran AGPGart. Reboot, everything incredibly fast, card recognized as AGP, and still had selectable resolutions, but no QE/CI.

With that all working, I decided to try for QE/CI again...bricked. Reinstall. So I worked through all the way back to the point where I was at before (Callisto 006, AGPGart). Okay. Everything was like it was before. So, I got a strange idea.

I went to the ATI website and downloaded the 10.4.x version of the OSX x800 driver. I installed the driver from the website, and rebooted...no QE/CI. So I went back and tried the HexEdit portion again - placing my device id into 9700kext. Did that, completed all the other steps, and rebooted - Boom! QE and CI, fully selectable resolutions. OpenGL works (tried in iTunes). All the screensavers work. No drastic mouse tearing, only the occasional little square in menus here and there.

However: There's slowdown. The menus dropdown slow, the dock operates slow...something's not right. I remember reading in this thread that people had removed AGPGart and it cleared up the slowdown...no such luck. The screensavers work at full speed in fullscreen. The OpenGL in iTunes is slow, and the DVD playback is slow.

I don't know what to make of any of this, I'm still fairly noob to OSX. I do know that whatever came in the ATI drivers helped me get past a point where I wasn't able to get before.

Anyone with any insight into the slowdown would be greatly helpful, and hopefully some of this helps someone else.

Thanks.

hi, i've install mac os x 10.4.9 in a pc: asus p5b premium, 2gb ram, hd sata2 80gb and ati radeon x600xt

whith the callisto 008 i've been enable the resolution but the qe/ce can't run.

i've edit the atiradeon9700ga.plugin and i've do all comand in console but qe/ci also can'r run... ^_^

there's any sistem for abilitate it?

^_^ps: excuseme 4 my english but i'm italian.. and excuse me if i've leave some particoulars but it's the first topic than i write....

thanks for all than can help me.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,I've got some probleme to install ATI driver. (Normally my Graphic card is a ati radeon 9700 mobility --> Win XP ; with 10.4.9 --> 9600 radeon mobility)

Type:	Display
 Bus:	PCI
 VRAM (Total):	128 MB
 Vendor:	ATI (0x1002)
 Device ID:	0x4e50
 Revision ID:	0x0000
 Displays:
Display:
 Resolution:	1024 x 768
 Depth:	32-bit Color
 Core Image:	Not Supported
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Not Supported

My screen resoltuion should be 1280x800So...I think I block in Part 2, QE/CI Installation:First, I already have

<key>IOProviderClass</key><string>CallistoFB</string>

so I don't need to replaceAnd I stuck at this step: --> "In your Finder window, go inside the MacOS folder, and then drag ATIRadeon9700 to HexEdit in the dock. In HexEdit, Go to Find->Find & Replace."

I don't find 3d 60 5b 00 00 so I can't replace it by 3d 4e 50 00 00Any solutions...

++

Sorry for my english

• 2 weeks later...
;) I have an X800XL with device ID exactly the same as used in the procedure. The process worked great in Tiger, but not in Leopard. I repeated the same process again with a clean set of drivers installed from Leopard DVD, the resolution change works fine just like before, but I can't enable QE\CI. Can someone help with Leopard experience?

• 2 weeks later...

Right. Well, i've followed these instructions perfectly, though i'm using b008 Callisto.

I have a X800XT card, PCIe.

Upon restarting, i get about the top 1/3 of my screen in grey with a few diagonal lines through it. The machine will not boot past that. I can do a -x and get in that way, it will display properly, but not using the modified driver. A few others are having issues with 10.4.9 as well, things may have changed.

I'm using 10.4.9, a Uphuck release, with the automaticlly installed Callisto drivers.

I currently have full res and everything working properly, but do not have the acceleration.

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Anyone else tried this with PCIe on 10.4.9?

• 2 weeks later...
Right. Well, i've followed these instructions perfectly, though i'm using b008 Callisto.

I have a X800XT card, PCIe.

Upon restarting, i get about the top 1/3 of my screen in grey with a few diagonal lines through it. The machine will not boot past that. I can do a -x and get in that way, it will display properly, but not using the modified driver. A few others are having issues with 10.4.9 as well, things may have changed.

I'm using 10.4.9, a Uphuck release, with the automaticlly installed Callisto drivers.

I currently have full res and everything working properly, but do not have the acceleration.

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Anyone else tried this with PCIe on 10.4.9?

Yes, I have tried it.

Chipset Model: Radeon X800 XT (actually a Saphire Radeon x800GTO flashed the vendor ID to 1002)

Device ID: 0x5d4f

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Used koverg patch

I'm using 10.4.9, a Uphuck release (installed without callistro drivers)

Installed the callistro003 drivers after the koverg patch. Works like a dream

Thanks to all who made this possible.

I am having a bit of hard time enabling QE/CI on my ATI x600 PCI-E. I am running OS X 10.5, and from the fresh install my resolution was stuck at 1024x768. Using the Calisto files and steps included in the first steps of this guide, I did get my resolution, and graphics card properly recognized. However the QE/CI part I cannot seem to get down. I followed the steps described here, and verified all the changes.

Here is the copy/paste from my Profiler.

Radeon X600 (PCIE):

Chipset Model: Radeon X600 (PCIE)

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Device ID: 0x5b62

Displays:

JW199D:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 75 Hz

Core Image: Software

Since I am using Leopard, I am not sure if there is a different method I should be following, but I could not find anything via the search feature on the board.

Any help would be appreciated. If I should take this to a different thread, please let me know.

Thank you again.

• 2 months later...

Just a data point or two:

I have a Sapphire x850xt. under my 10.4.8( thru 11) installs I had no prolems with my card using CALLISTO b006 and the ATIRadeon9700.xxx modifications. Both QE/CI were supported.

I finally 'upgraded' to Zep's 10.5.2 and while I can get the video monitors (two) working with the Video card, I cannot get QE/CI to work properly. I even grabbed the files (Calisto + modded ATIRadeion9700-series of kexts) from /System/Library/Extensions from a working older install image and slappend them in the directory.

No workie workie. Sigh.

Anyone got any ideas for me on how I can get QE/CI supported again (besides buying a new card... :P

Just a data point or two:

I have a Sapphire x850xt. under my 10.4.8( thru 11) installs I had no prolems with my card using CALLISTO b006 and the ATIRadeon9700.xxx modifications. Both QE/CI were supported.

I finally 'upgraded' to Zep's 10.5.2 and while I can get the video monitors (two) working with the Video card, I cannot get QE/CI to work properly. I even grabbed the files (Calisto + modded ATIRadeion9700-series of kexts) from /System/Library/Extensions from a working older install image and slappend them in the directory.

No workie workie. Sigh.

Anyone got any ideas for me on how I can get QE/CI supported again (besides buying a new card... ;)

Same problem as u my friend really Bummed out to see that no one actually created a guide or gave us some files that can enable QE/CI in Leo for these Cards. :):help::happymac::ihw_wow:

• 2 weeks later...

Tried this method quite a few times, have ATI x800gt, Device ID 554b. I get through to this stage:

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

when i type this and hit enter, terminal says there is no kextcache file. Any ideas? can't get any further really til i nail this down. tried with both R1&2 of Zeph for amd.

Thanks for the help