[How To] X800 XL set up with working Display Manager and QE/CI

phoenix3200

232 posts in this topic

Atlast stuck with callisto 3 and gave it one last try and....

Radeon Mobility X600 (M24) (PCIE):

Chipset Model: Radeon Mobility X600 (M24) (PCIE)

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

Slot: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x3150

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

:spam:

Thanks for this topic and links was of great help

I NeoNapster,

I have the same problem that you had, colored blocks... what change did you made to get things working? my graphic card is exactly the same model has yours and i have version 10.4.6 installed. Like you only Callisto 3 modified works for me. I allready tried the extensions from 10.4.6 and 10.4.5.

In 10.4.6 i get a black screen when i try to enable ci, and with 10.4.5 i get the blocks!!!

I really need some help.

Thanks

Hmmm, I've tracked it down a bit more.

When the driver loads (i.e. everything is set up OK with device IDs etc), my screen gets scrambled.

Here's a picture: http://tinyurl.com/z48lw

That area up to the left is the apple menu, by the way...

Any ideas as to why this happens?

As I said (above), I use 10.4.5 ATI files, from the JaS DVD.

Help! :D

EDIT:

IT WORKS!!

I'm not sure what did it, this might have helped though:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=25335

Damn, it's soooo smooth now! Beautiful :D

Well I wish you could remember exactly what you did because I have this EXACT same issue (your screen shot). I have a fresh install of JaS 10.4.7 and I've replaced the ATI extensions with the 10.5 ones. The only thing I can think of is the OpenGL framework which I will replace this evening. Any other Ideas? Can you think of anything else that you may have done???

Just to clarify: I'm using Callisto 006 and confirmed it was working fine for res switching. After the step 2 edits (hex and text) I reboot and get big blotchy color blocks. You can tell that the desktop is up and running and even see where the menus and droping down when mousing over. It feels like it wants to work, and I'm sure its something simple.

I'm redoing my Dell gx620 and I have a ATI X800XL AIW PCI-e (r430 chip)

I hope this is all worth it, I have onboard gma950 that works perfectly but I just wan't faster 3D so I can run X-Plane and a couple of other games on this system. I couldn't afford a 1600/1800 but I got this X800XL AIW which has 16 pipes for $119.

Am I going to be sorry I did this?

well, the 10.5 opengl framework didn't work. I'm going back to my onboard gma950. its very fast for everything but xplane and heavy duty 3d graphics and fully supported with no mouse tearing. I probably should have left well enough alone to begin with!

hey, i'm a returning mac user because of this whole osx86 deal, i got the JaS 10.4.6 and installed it on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop on its own 7200rpm HDD because i didn't want to tamper with my work HDD. when installing, i set up the HDD with 2 partitions... the first one being a 'mac os extended (journaled)' and the second being 'free space'. i customized the install to add the intel support and let it rock. the first dvd-r i burned failed verification, so i ignored and attempted install - didn't go through 3 times. so i reburned on another dvd-r from my home computer - this worked and install went through fine. osx loads and i'm getting all sorts of nostalgic feelings (even though i left mac os at 9.2 with VERY little time on OSX). i remove the DVD and reboot, and i get an "error b0", which i found mean that the drive partition wasn't set as active. after researching i found windows 'diskpart' would solve this - so i put my work HDD back in and use a USB hdd caddy to access my osx loaded hdd... used 'diskpart' to make the osx partition active (0,1 - since osx is on partition 1 of disk 0... partition 2 is blank space, which will later be my xp pro partition so i can dual boot without having to swap HDD's). so, now i can boot without a DVD in the drive, so i get back into osx go play around and find that my native resolution isn't supported - so here i am reading all of these and IMO, this is the best one.

anyways, i found that for the callisto drivers, i had to use b005... or i would get a black screen. i follow it step by step for the callisto installation (backing up the extensions folder was a savior), reboot - now i have resolution support but no 'core image' or 'quartz extreme' - so i continue to follow directions step by step and get the same symptoms that others are seeing, the trippy-acid-osxual infection-like display... thank god the backup was there, i have already repartitioned and installed osx 5 times because i didn't know to get into single user mode (cause i was dvd booting).

so that is where i stand, has anyone made progress in getting core image and quartz extreme enabled to eliminate the laggy video playback and such?

OS Image: 10.4.6 JaS

this is my general hardware info... PM-1.8ghz / 1gb RAM

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: jMac

Machine Model: ADP2,1

CPU Type: Intel® Pentium® M processor

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 2 MB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS TM EST

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 533 MHz

Boot ROM Version: A08 (Dell Inc.)

Serial Number: DP9CW81

this is my graphics info... ATI Radeon Mobility x300 PCIe (dell's description)

Radeon Mobility M300 (M22):

Chipset Model: Radeon Mobility M300 (M22)

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Device ID: 0x5460

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Core Image: Not Supported

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

When adding the following code:

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

i get the following error: No such file or directory...any solutions to this?

edit: well i went ahead and restarted anyways so now I can select resolutions..i like it!!

Okay so now I got it. It recognizes my X800GTO2 as an X800PRO so it works now. And I take it mouse tearing is where the mouse leaves a block on the screen...thats kind of annoying, but oh well. By the way, what is the benefit of QE and CI?

Thanks for the help,

Stephen

That was partially answered on post #5, but here's the full answer:

Koverg is the person who discovered the method used to enable Quartz Extreme and CoreImage on cards ranging from the 9550 to the X850. However, his hack did not enable resolution switching, so for some time people have been searching for ways to get a fully working driver.

Boris found a way to hack the X1000-series kext file so that you could run X1000 and higher cards with QE, CI, resolution switching, and more. The hack was much simpler than Koverg's; however, it is only effective on some X1000-series cards, and because pre-X1000-series cards do not use the same chipset, they still did not have resolution switching.

Omni did a fair amount of reverse-engineering (note: the word hacking or decompiling does not appear) on ATI cards to learn how he could communicate between the graphics card and OS X, and his solution is called Callisto. He has stopped working on his "framebuffer" sadly (I am still unsure why it's called a framebuffer and not a driver), but he did give us support for resolution switching.

Others discovered that they could do a small amount of work to get Callisto (resolution switching) to work and have QE/CI support by doing a simple edit to ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin. However, that method did not work fine for me, as I found you need to have performed the Koverg patch in order to get QE/CI to work in conjunction with Callisto.

In short, "BorisBadenov" is a hack for X1000-series cards. Callisto is a framebuffer somebody spent an enormous amount of time coding so that people would be able to change resolutions from inside of OS X.

I have an AGP 9500Pro/9700 and installed Callisto according to this guide. However, it recognizes my card as PCI Radeon 9700 NE. The device ID is 0x4e45.

The Callisto and CallistoHAL kexts are running but I don't have CI/QE support. Will the method described in this post enable that in different way than Koverg's patch? I tried v2 of Koverg's patch and I could not boot OS X. I think it may be because the card is AGP. I had to reinstall OS X.

AGPGart doesn't work because I have an intel chipset.

Should I try the QE/CI step in the first post?

I have ASUS ATI X300 SE, the guide shown by phoenix3200 helped me

Radeon X300/SE (PCIE):

Chipset Model: Radeon X300/SE (PCIE)

Slot: PCIEX16_2

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Device ID: 0x5b60

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Core Image: Supported

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Everything seems to be allright, I can change resolutions, there are some small mouse tearing (aritfacts)(i can live

with that), screen saver works fine, itunes visuals also.

The only thing that does'nt work OR tells me that QE and CI isn't really working properly is animation at widgets (when adding them). Animation doesnt goes smooth. So my question is: are my hypothesis (about QE, CI) is correct or just my GPU is too slow to handle this things?

sorry for my bad english

Thanks for the tutorial! I got Callisto 008 installed and its an upgrade on my former driver "rigging".

However, I was unable to get my AGP Radeon X800 PRO working for QE/CI :) After the install I get froze on windows loading. I tried messing with a few things and found that if I only change one of the two device id entries with the hex editor, I can see a mouse with a black screen, but that's it. Usually it locks up and I have to restart before then.

If anybody has any ideas for me on getting the AGP Radeon x800 PRO working, I'd be very grateful!

GOT IT WORKING FINALLY!

My original install was JaS 10.4.6. Biostar K8NHA Grand, Radeon X800 Pro AGP.

- Replaced all ATI kexts in /System/Library/Extensions/ from the ones on the 10.4.6 CD via Pacifist.

- Replaces OpenGL.framework in /System/Library/Frameworks/ from the folder on teh 10.4.6 CD

- Installed Callisto b006 and updated ATIRadeon9700GA.kext

- Installed AGPGart2.0 Universal into /System/Library/Extensions/ (found on this site in a zip).

Deleted /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache.

Ran 'kextcache -k /System/Library/Kextcache/' in terminal.

That did it for me! I can't attribute all the help to any specific ppl because this was something I have been trying over a week and have by now forgotten the posts that made the biggest differences in my progress, so thanks to everyone who contributed!!!

Note: THE INSTALLATION WOULD NOT WORK IF I USED THE KOVERG PATCH! It wasn't just that I didn't need it, it simply would't work. It may have had something to do with the fact that my device ID already existed in the ATIRadeon9700.kext/Info.plist

i dunno what's wrong.. my x850xt pe is recognized correctly while system is booting but it hangs after that:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/Loginwindow: Login Window Application Started

and a black screen. any suggestions? i'm a little closer but still it's not what i'm looking for ^_^.

btw. i have 10.4.7 Jas' Edition, calisto b008

I could not get this to work with the b008 drivers and callistos instructions. I used your instructions and the b006 drivers and it works perfectly. I have been trying to hard to get this to work. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

YOU ROCK HARDXCORE!

EDIT: I have a powercolor x800 Pro AGP 8x

I could not get this to work with the b008 drivers and callistos instructions. I used your instructions and the b006 drivers and it works perfectly. I have been trying to hard to get this to work. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

maybe i should also try b006.. we'll see.

Does this work with DVI or analog VGA only? Tried my luck but get stuck at before the graphic login screen appears. Using a X800XL AGP card (554d).

Try NOT doing the hex edit and the info.plist edit in ATIRadeon9700.kext (only the info.plist in ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin along with installing callisto b006 (or one of the versions, try them all) and replacing a few files from off of the install cd in 10.4.6. I think that 554d is already included in the plist and the file you need to edit with the hex editor.

With my x800 pro my devid (4a49) is already included in the plist and I noticed that if I edited the plist and/or the ATIRadeon9700 file in hex editor I got stuck with black screen.

Backup everything and see if my instructions will work for you (the instructions a few posts up). I think there exists a problem with some cards that already had their devid's included in the files that we're editing. Don't forget to replace teh AGPGart, all ATI kexts, and OpenGL.framework.

I spent nearly a week getting my QE/CI working and I had to take bits of what many different people were saying to get it to work properly---I almost gave up.

Good post!

Just to note something for all ppl who have their card on that list, my x800 pro was in list 1 and not list 2, but if i add it to list 2 or add a second entry in list one i lost video. So, keep that in mind if things don't go as planned.

I didn't have to change either (well, couldn't actually) however, I did require callisto b006 and a few other fixes to get my vid card functioning properly.

Finally....got everything running.... Asrock Dual Sata2 with X800XL AGP and Dell 2005FPW in full resolution 1680x1050. But now probably I own a bunch of more gray hair :D.

The trick was to use Callisto b008, add in the monitor_type (DFP) but do not change the EDID string. Omni put in the example data from his Apple Cinema 20" which is almost identical with the Dell. So I did not change this and bingo, it now works :2cents:. Quartz + Core added with Koverg's patch and 2D with QuartzSimple.

Suxsesssssssssssssssssssssssss SWEET Victory thanks to eveyone in this forum for the great post and information, SEEDS ESPECIALLY SEEDERS with out you we would not have the tools needed to get things rolling

phoenix3200 thanks for the time you spent putting this together

See sig for specs of hardware

Video 9800Pro

Here is what I did thanks to the great post by phoenix3200 here

Getting ready

It would be a good idea to backup your entire Extensions directory before proceeding just in case you royally mess up anything.

sudo –su cp -R /System/Library/Extensions /System/Library/ExtensionsBackup

Part 1, Callisto Installation

I used b006 for installation purposes. It's available on Omni's website. <-tried Callisto_008 but did not work, Tried Callisto_003 and screen crashed with Hz off range so Callisto_006 was the way to go

After extracting b006, Look in the folder for CallistoHAL.kext. Right-Click on this file and go to Show Package Contents. Double click on Contents, and then drag Info.plist to TextEdit in the dock.

((((((((when I needed to make changes to info.plist files I just dragged it to the desktop, then dragged the one from the desktop to the TextEdit, made changes, saved it, dragged it back to where it came from, it will ask authenticate, put in password, and replace)))))))))

Find

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x41501002&0xffffffff</string>

and change it to

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x554d1002&0xffffffff</string>

Make sure you replace 554d with whatever your specific Device ID is, which is avaliable in System Profiler, and then save and close the file.

Open up another Terminal window, and type (or copy) this into Terminal:

sudo -s

cd ~/Desktop I downloaded to my desktop

chown -R root:wheel Callisto*

chmod -R 755 Callisto*

cp -R Callisto* /System/Library/Extensions/

rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.window*

rm -f /Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.window*

rm -f /Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.pref*

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

Enter your password when prompted

Reboot your computer and make sure you can set new resolutions before continuing.

This got me the resolution

I changed my resolution to 1600x1200@60hz swwweeeett

Now

Part 2, QE/CI Installation

Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions, locate ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin, right-click and go to Show Package Contents. Double click on Contents, and then drag Info.plist to TextEdit in the dock

Find

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IONDRVFramebuffer</string>

and change it to

<string>CallistoFB</string>

Save and close the file.

sudo -s

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin/

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin/

Enter your password when prompted.

Rebooted and now I have QE, CI and OpenGL with mouse tearing

Running at 1600x1200@60hz

I did not make any changes to the

/System/Library/Extensions/ locate ATIRadeon9700.kext because my card is a 9800PRO and numbers show up as being included in the ATIRadeon9700.kext

Only took me a week or so LOL but dame it feels good

This got me the resolution

I changed my resolution to 1600x1200@60hz swwweeeett

Now

Part 2, QE/CI Installation

Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions, locate ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin, right-click and go to Show Package Contents. Double click on Contents, and then drag Info.plist to TextEdit in the dock

Find

<string>IONDRVFramebuffer</string>

and change it to

<string>CallistoFB</string>

Save and close the file.

sudo -s

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin/

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin/

Enter your password when prompted.

Rebooted and now I have QE, CI and OpenGL with mouse tearing

Running at 1600x1200@60hz

I did not make any changes to the

/System/Library/Extensions/ locate ATIRadeon9700.kext because my card is a 9800PRO and numbers show up as being included in the ATIRadeon9700.kext

Only took me a week or so LOL but dame it feels good

Hi dude, I have the save device id as you. But I understand from your post that you didn't do the hexedit part and it still worked. Is this correct?

Bytez