sdelano

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
When adding the following code:

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

i get the following error: No such file or directory...any solutions to this?

edit: well i went ahead and restarted anyways so now I can select resolutions..i like it!!

sdelano

sdelano

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Okay so now I got it. It recognizes my X800GTO2 as an X800PRO so it works now. And I take it mouse tearing is where the mouse leaves a block on the screen...thats kind of annoying, but oh well. By the way, what is the benefit of QE and CI?

Thanks for the help,
Stephen

phoenix3200

phoenix3200

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
The biggest advantage to QE/CI is that it is required in some programs like DVD Player and Final Cut Pro. Don't quote me on this, but I think it is also needed to get any application that uses OpenGL (i.e. World of Warcraft) to work.

zedzed

zedzed

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Might be a silly question but - what is the difference between Callisto and Borisbadenov?

phoenix3200

phoenix3200

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
That was partially answered on post #5, but here's the full answer:

Koverg is the person who discovered the method used to enable Quartz Extreme and CoreImage on cards ranging from the 9550 to the X850. However, his hack did not enable resolution switching, so for some time people have been searching for ways to get a fully working driver.

Boris found a way to hack the X1000-series kext file so that you could run X1000 and higher cards with QE, CI, resolution switching, and more. The hack was much simpler than Koverg's; however, it is only effective on some X1000-series cards, and because pre-X1000-series cards do not use the same chipset, they still did not have resolution switching.

Omni did a fair amount of reverse-engineering (note: the word hacking or decompiling does not appear) on ATI cards to learn how he could communicate between the graphics card and OS X, and his solution is called Callisto. He has stopped working on his "framebuffer" sadly (I am still unsure why it's called a framebuffer and not a driver), but he did give us support for resolution switching.

Others discovered that they could do a small amount of work to get Callisto (resolution switching) to work and have QE/CI support by doing a simple edit to ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin. However, that method did not work fine for me, as I found you need to have performed the Koverg patch in order to get QE/CI to work in conjunction with Callisto.

In short, "BorisBadenov" is a hack for X1000-series cards. Callisto is a framebuffer somebody spent an enormous amount of time coding so that people would be able to change resolutions from inside of OS X.

kess

kess

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
I have an AGP 9500Pro/9700 and installed Callisto according to this guide. However, it recognizes my card as PCI Radeon 9700 NE. The device ID is 0x4e45.

The Callisto and CallistoHAL kexts are running but I don't have CI/QE support. Will the method described in this post enable that in different way than Koverg's patch? I tried v2 of Koverg's patch and I could not boot OS X. I think it may be because the card is AGP. I had to reinstall OS X.

AGPGart doesn't work because I have an intel chipset.

Should I try the QE/CI step in the first post?

zemilioz

zemilioz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:cars, electronics etc
I have ASUS ATI X300 SE, the guide shown by phoenix3200 helped me

Radeon X300/SE (PCIE):

Chipset Model: Radeon X300/SE (PCIE)
Type: Display
Bus: PCI
Slot: PCIEX16_2
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x5b60
Revision ID: 0x0000
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported

Everything seems to be allright, I can change resolutions, there are some small mouse tearing (aritfacts)(i can live
with that), screen saver works fine, itunes visuals also.
The only thing that does'nt work OR tells me that QE and CI isn't really working properly is animation at widgets (when adding them). Animation doesnt goes smooth. So my question is: are my hypothesis (about QE, CI) is correct or just my GPU is too slow to handle this things?

sorry for my bad english

TNCEKM

TNCEKM

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Thanks for the tutorial! I got Callisto 008 installed and its an upgrade on my former driver "rigging".

However, I was unable to get my AGP Radeon X800 PRO working for QE/CI :) After the install I get froze on windows loading. I tried messing with a few things and found that if I only change one of the two device id entries with the hex editor, I can see a mouse with a black screen, but that's it. Usually it locks up and I have to restart before then.

If anybody has any ideas for me on getting the AGP Radeon x800 PRO working, I'd be very grateful!

TNCEKM

TNCEKM

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
GOT IT WORKING FINALLY!

My original install was JaS 10.4.6. Biostar K8NHA Grand, Radeon X800 Pro AGP.

- Replaced all ATI kexts in /System/Library/Extensions/ from the ones on the 10.4.6 CD via Pacifist.
- Replaces OpenGL.framework in /System/Library/Frameworks/ from the folder on teh 10.4.6 CD
- Installed Callisto b006 and updated ATIRadeon9700GA.kext
- Installed AGPGart2.0 Universal into /System/Library/Extensions/ (found on this site in a zip).

Deleted /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache.

Ran 'kextcache -k /System/Library/Kextcache/' in terminal.

That did it for me! I can't attribute all the help to any specific ppl because this was something I have been trying over a week and have by now forgotten the posts that made the biggest differences in my progress, so thanks to everyone who contributed!!!

Note: THE INSTALLATION WOULD NOT WORK IF I USED THE KOVERG PATCH! It wasn't just that I didn't need it, it simply would't work. It may have had something to do with the fact that my device ID already existed in the ATIRadeon9700.kext/Info.plist

Biku

Biku

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
i dunno what's wrong.. my x850xt pe is recognized correctly while system is booting but it hangs after that:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/Loginwindow: Login Window Application Started

and a black screen. any suggestions? i'm a little closer but still it's not what i'm looking for ^_^.

btw. i have 10.4.7 Jas' Edition, calisto b008

sdlvx

sdlvx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I could not get this to work with the b008 drivers and callistos instructions. I used your instructions and the b006 drivers and it works perfectly. I have been trying to hard to get this to work. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

YOU ROCK HARDXCORE!

EDIT: I have a powercolor x800 Pro AGP 8x

Biku

Biku

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

I could not get this to work with the b008 drivers and callistos instructions. I used your instructions and the b006 drivers and it works perfectly. I have been trying to hard to get this to work. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

maybe i should also try b006.. we'll see.

mmaacc

mmaacc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Does this work with DVI or analog VGA only? Tried my luck but get stuck at before the graphic login screen appears. Using a X800XL AGP card (554d).

Biku

Biku

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
hi, is it possible to get a refresh rate higher than 85Hz?

TNCEKM

TNCEKM

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Does this work with DVI or analog VGA only? Tried my luck but get stuck at before the graphic login screen appears. Using a X800XL AGP card (554d).

Try NOT doing the hex edit and the info.plist edit in ATIRadeon9700.kext (only the info.plist in ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin along with installing callisto b006 (or one of the versions, try them all) and replacing a few files from off of the install cd in 10.4.6. I think that 554d is already included in the plist and the file you need to edit with the hex editor.

With my x800 pro my devid (4a49) is already included in the plist and I noticed that if I edited the plist and/or the ATIRadeon9700 file in hex editor I got stuck with black screen.

Backup everything and see if my instructions will work for you (the instructions a few posts up). I think there exists a problem with some cards that already had their devid's included in the files that we're editing. Don't forget to replace teh AGPGart, all ATI kexts, and OpenGL.framework.

I spent nearly a week getting my QE/CI working and I had to take bits of what many different people were saying to get it to work properly---I almost gave up.

phoenix3200

phoenix3200

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Edit: Information moved to post #1.

TNCEKM

TNCEKM

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Good post!

Just to note something for all ppl who have their card on that list, my x800 pro was in list 1 and not list 2, but if i add it to list 2 or add a second entry in list one i lost video. So, keep that in mind if things don't go as planned.

I didn't have to change either (well, couldn't actually) however, I did require callisto b006 and a few other fixes to get my vid card functioning properly.

mmaacc

mmaacc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Finally....got everything running.... Asrock Dual Sata2 with X800XL AGP and Dell 2005FPW in full resolution 1680x1050. But now probably I own a bunch of more gray hair :D.

The trick was to use Callisto b008, add in the monitor_type (DFP) but do not change the EDID string. Omni put in the example data from his Apple Cinema 20" which is almost identical with the Dell. So I did not change this and bingo, it now works :2cents:. Quartz + Core added with Koverg's patch and 2D with QuartzSimple.

bkny1055

bkny1055

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Suxsesssssssssssssssssssssssss SWEET Victory thanks to eveyone in this forum for the great post and information, SEEDS ESPECIALLY SEEDERS with out you we would not have the tools needed to get things rolling
phoenix3200 thanks for the time you spent putting this together

See sig for specs of hardware
Video 9800Pro
Here is what I did thanks to the great post by phoenix3200 here

Getting ready

It would be a good idea to backup your entire Extensions directory before proceeding just in case you royally mess up anything.

sudo su cp -R /System/Library/Extensions /System/Library/ExtensionsBackup

Part 1, Callisto Installation

I used b006 for installation purposes. It's available on Omni's website. <-tried Callisto_008 but did not work, Tried Callisto_003 and screen crashed with Hz off range so Callisto_006 was the way to go

After extracting b006, Look in the folder for CallistoHAL.kext. Right-Click on this file and go to Show Package Contents. Double click on Contents, and then drag Info.plist to TextEdit in the dock.
((((((((when I needed to make changes to info.plist files I just dragged it to the desktop, then dragged the one from the desktop to the TextEdit, made changes, saved it, dragged it back to where it came from, it will ask authenticate, put in password, and replace)))))))))
Find
<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x41501002&0xffffffff</string>

and change it to
<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x554d1002&0xffffffff</string>

Make sure you replace 554d with whatever your specific Device ID is, which is avaliable in System Profiler, and then save and close the file.

Open up another Terminal window, and type (or copy) this into Terminal:

sudo -s
cd ~/Desktop I downloaded to my desktop
chown -R root:wheel Callisto*
chmod -R 755 Callisto*
cp -R Callisto* /System/Library/Extensions/
rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.window*
rm -f /Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.window*
rm -f /Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.pref*
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

Enter your password when prompted

Reboot your computer and make sure you can set new resolutions before continuing.

This got me the resolution
I changed my resolution to 1600x1200@60hz swwweeeett

Now
Part 2, QE/CI Installation

Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions, locate ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin, right-click and go to Show Package Contents. Double click on Contents, and then drag Info.plist to TextEdit in the dock

Find
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IONDRVFramebuffer</string>

and change it to
<string>CallistoFB</string>

Save and close the file.

sudo -s
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin/
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin/

Enter your password when prompted.

Rebooted and now I have QE, CI and OpenGL with mouse tearing
Running at 1600x1200@60hz

I did not make any changes to the
/System/Library/Extensions/ locate ATIRadeon9700.kext because my card is a 9800PRO and numbers show up as being included in the ATIRadeon9700.kext
Only took me a week or so LOL but dame it feels good

ByteWorkz

ByteWorkz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

This got me the resolution
I changed my resolution to 1600x1200@60hz swwweeeett
Now
Part 2, QE/CI Installation

Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions, locate ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin, right-click and go to Show Package Contents. Double click on Contents, and then drag Info.plist to TextEdit in the dock

Find
<string>IONDRVFramebuffer</string>

and change it to
<string>CallistoFB</string>

Save and close the file.

sudo -s
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin/
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin/

Enter your password when prompted.

Rebooted and now I have QE, CI and OpenGL with mouse tearing
Running at 1600x1200@60hz

I did not make any changes to the
/System/Library/Extensions/ locate ATIRadeon9700.kext because my card is a 9800PRO and numbers show up as being included in the ATIRadeon9700.kext
Only took me a week or so LOL but dame it feels good

Hi dude, I have the save device id as you. But I understand from your post that you didn't do the hexedit part and it still worked. Is this correct?

Bytez

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy