The Apple iPad is released

Dr. Hurt

54 posts in this topic

a bit... I just don't see where they[apple] intend on going with this... I mean the iPhone success did surprise me but that did come joined along with the app store but the iPad... i just don't see the future success story as the guys at Cuper see

shoot me in the ass if i'm wrong

I don't see the use or value in it for the average mac user that already has say an iPhone and or a Mac book.

The potential I do see is in a couple of areas.

first, an easy to use computer for people who don't want or need a laptop, but want some type of easy to use mobile computing device - iPad.

second, business. Offering iWork does not seem like much now. But it opens the door for other companies to create fully functional touch business applications that business people will want to use.

I think it's Apple's answer to the so far unsuccessful tablet computer. It has a lot of the features of a tablet style computer plus the benefit of gestures. I think the major failing of the tablet is mainly the OS, sure Windows is familiar, but it's too cumbersome to work with at that level (I think even OS X would be too cumbersome), for a computer meant to be used on the go. I think the simplicity is the missing ingredient to making a table style computer useful and desirable.

Once it's available in a few months to go see and touch in person, we will see how well it really does.

Apple-iPad-001.jpg

What is this? iPhone for giants? Just look at this thing, it's bigger than Steve Jobs' entire face!

Speaking at an event in San Francisco, Jobs detailed some of the innovative new features that the iPad had to offer. "Well, uh, you can set the background screen to whatever you want. People will want to to personalise it. We ship some photos with it but you can make it whatever you want."

Technology and business analysts predict that Apple could stand to make huge amounts of profit by targeting the previously untapped giant market. "It's quite literally a huge market," Jobs chuckled to himself at a press conference earlier today.

I'm quite skeptical about this extra-large iPhone-like device that lacks multitasking, and the $499-829 price tag is likely to make the device unaffordable for the vast majority of giants, who tend to be employed in low-paid manual jobs like breaking large rocks with hammers and pushing huge carts full of coal around coal mines.

Speaking at an event in San Francisco, Jobs detailed some of the innovative new features that the iPad had to offer. "Well, uh, you can set the background screen to whatever you want. People will want to to personalise it. We ship some photos with it but you can make it whatever you want."

That's not innovation. I'm not trying to sound like a microsoft bob or lackey, but the Zune has done that since the first one came out, and it's not even a touch screen, or has an internet browser. But you can still listen to music and look at pictures at the same time. Microsoft hasn't been the only one to do this either with media players, or tablets.

What Steve Jobs calls "Innovation" for the iPad is in the case, late in the game on a certain aspect. I see nothing that would make me buy this over say an Iphone, or even just a netbook.

Also, 10 reasons why the iPad's going to fail.

http://www.guru3d.com/news/10-reasons-why-...ipadsonna-fail/

It's a good concept, but the execution of it was terrible...

vbetts i agree it's a naturally good concept by apple but I don't think it's going to "fail" but rather just be a disappointing gadget to own. Cosmetics is what i see going for it mainly although yes it's supposedly going to have iwork support but looking at it from a realistic point of view in a corporation, it could turn out to be more a hassle investing into an iPad just to take care of things that a net book or low end laptop could do with ease.

Looking at it from the enthusiasts point of view, the lack of flash isn't a make or break issue but it would certainly affect the consumer's decision as to if they should really buy. The battery life is another story with the well claimed 10 hrs of battery life but this like with all "super gadgets" depends solely on the amount of usage you put into the device. Yes apple is known for making devices with great battery spans but this product will be doing net book related work in a sense if it is going to be doing a similar version of the iwork done on MBs.

The way i see it the iPad of more of a luxury for say people who want to have fun with it than more for a corporate person looking to use iwork on it because most corporate oldies tend to follow their old ways of doing things and go against the "techie" way of doing things so my boss always rants.

you never had to quote the maxi pad part to say that though -__-

I can't lie I did think tampon manufacturers had a good competition when the iPad showed up.

But it all comes down to one question in the end

tampon_debate_m.jpg

Edit: Well i've been speaking with some "undercovers" at apple and I'm supposed to be testing out the iPad this sunday so if all goes well i will see what's all the hype about

"they" also explained to me the purpose of the pad but that info I can't release at this time as it isn't for the public

i'll post back feedback on the device if I go this weekend.

It's likely that I'll buy it. Here are the reasons while I will purchase and some thoughts I've sorted through in my head:

1. iWork: a mobile and lightweight production suite available at my fingertips and beautifully implemented.

2. OmniGraffle and OmniFocus likely available at launch of soon after.

3. Keyboard and printer support these are a must for me.

4. Low cost mobile internet solution. The current price for base internet in my area is near $50 a month and I'm tied down to my home. The iPad would be less and offer me the benefits of it being mobile.

5. An eBook reader is something I've been wanting. I have delayed purchasing one because of my dislike for the eInk format and the limited choices outside of eInk. The iPad offers a multifunction package that also offers an eBook option!

6. Integrated GPS.

7. Long battery life is a plus. I expect that the actual battery life will be about 2-3 hours less than stated with active use.

8. Mobile media platform (ie. iPod touch, iPod classic, etc.)

Cost analysis not getting iPad:

Current Internet monthly cost: ~$50+

eBook reader cost: $259

iPod touch cost: $299

GPS device: ~$130

Total cost first year: +/- $1288

Total cost second year: +/- $600

Cost analysis getting iPad:

Internet monthly cost: ~$30

iPad cost: $629

Total cost first year: +/- $989

Total cost second year: =/- $360

It's likely that I'll buy it. Here are the reasons while I will purchase and some thoughts I've sorted through in my head:

1. iWork: a mobile and lightweight production suite available at my fingertips and beautifully implemented.

2. OmniGraffle and OmniFocus likely available at launch of soon after.

3. Keyboard and printer support these are a must for me.

4. Low cost mobile internet solution. The current price for base internet in my area is near $50 a month and I'm tied down to my home. The iPad would be less and offer me the benefits of it being mobile.

5. An eBook reader is something I've been wanting. I have delayed purchasing one because of my dislike for the eInk format and the limited choices outside of eInk. The iPad offers a multifunction package that also offers an eBook option!

6. Integrated GPS.

7. Long battery life is a plus. I expect that the actual battery life will be about 2-3 hours less than stated with active use.

8. Mobile media platform (ie. iPod touch, iPod classic, etc.)

Cost analysis not getting iPad:

Current Internet monthly cost: ~$50+

eBook reader cost: $259

iPod touch cost: $299

GPS device: ~$130

Total cost first year: +/- $1288

Total cost second year: +/- $600

Cost analysis getting iPad:

Internet monthly cost: ~$30

iPad cost: $629

Total cost first year: +/- $989

Total cost second year: =/- $360

So the primary internet device in your home won't be able to display websites with flash or download torrents or connect to your devices? I mean I guess that would save money but i'm not sure if its worth it.

Also, it would be interesting to see how you are going to mount the iPad in the car to use as a GPS device. I'm not sure if i'd want to drive around with a large iPad screen blocking a part of my view....

The only thing good about Apple these days is their OS. I have no idea what has happened to that company. They used to care about education and art, now all they care about is impressing rich people who buy things because of how they look. Its a real shame.

Hmm...

In my opinion the iPad is superior to a normal netbook while I would rather go for a 13" laptop at the moment.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Instant on and online:

This is going to be the point where the iPad shines. You are outside, you want to show someone a Document/Picture/Video/eMail/whatever - it's just 2 buttons and an average time of 5 seconds until you are where you want to be (even online). A laptop or netbbook wouldn't even make it out of its sleeve in this time.

2. Leightweight + Small + Battery time:

The fastest laptop can't help when it's

a) too heavy and bulky to carry around (Personally I think 15" Widescreen is way too big to really be mobile)

B) always out of battery

3. Minimalized set of apps:

Don't get me wrong here - I'm not a fan of closed platforms.

The point here is that apple can guarantee its customers to have the right feeling when using the device. Opening an app and then having to wait for ages is something that just frustrates. Closing the platform ensures that the device keeps being responsive and snappy - just the way you like it to react. (and yes this includes keeping flash out of the system as long as it doesn't feel right)

Here comes the point why I prefer a 13" laptop

Power - If I carry around a device I'd like to have enough power to actually do more than just watch content, which is obviously the strength of either the iPad and netbooks. I might sacrifice some mobility and the need of an power outlet somewhere around me within a 4hour radius just for being able to edit a movie, record audio from my usb mic or the ability to put a semi high end 3d game on a TV screen or a beamer.

What I'd do if I get one gifted? - I guess I'd keep it for situations where I'm definitely not going do the tasks mentioned above: Long flights, Going to work (I don't like the distractive factor a personal laptop can bring into a business situation), and the living room as wireless remote for my media center pc/program guide.

just my 2 cents

• 2 weeks later...
Who needs flash for video, when HTML 5 video players will look like this http://jilion.com/sublime/video

Hawt.

That is really cool, first time ive seen that. But honestly, how long do you think it will take before all sites begin to use that? it is a good idea, sadly enough the ipad should have come after the html5 if you ask me... users will want full blown compat rather than buy it now and wait for web standards to kick in...i will use this html5 in some of my coding it is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!