Best Laptops With Full Hardware Support and Acceleration

jacob019

281 posts in this topic

Hello there! My current laptop I made into a hackintosh (Not everything works though [i didn't buy my current computer with the intention of running OSX on it... Just came across the OSx86 project one day and tried it and it worked to an extent])

Graphics support is non existant due to a Intel GMA 4500 and internal wifi is not working... Sound and just about everything else work!

However I am planning on getting a new laptop very soon (I'm sick of 1024x768 res and none of the hacks to get native resolution have worked for me, plus CI/QE would be nice)

I have tried searching but haven't come up with anything that puts my mind at ease.

Basically I'm trying to figure out what laptop I should buy with my price range being between $600 - $800 (+ $50 maybe $100 more than that)

Uncertainty is what I'm filled with... And lots of laptops online don't list all the specs like what motherboard they have, gfx, etc... Really frustrating.

I'm trying to avoid integrated graphics as well!

Can anyone please recommend a latop that has just about everything working (things I don't mind not working are: internal wifi [i have a USB wifi adapter + driver that works in OSX if I need it], and sleep)

It absolutely must have hardware accelerated graphics support, and sound! Are my two biggest needs!

It seems like buying a computer with OSX in mind and not have the same chance of OSX working on it or not! Is it just a gamble whether it will work or not?

Someone help me take the gamble out of my purchase! :(

I want to be certain it will work!

I got itakos v7 successfully installed, where as I could browse and use the OS.

BUT

Wifi/Ethernet wasn't found

Keyboard didn't work

For some reason, I couldn't access Admin Rights

Resolution was stuck at 1280x1024

PC Specs

AMD Turion 64x2 2.1 gHz

ATI HD Radeon 3200

Atheros AR5b93 Wifi

Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet

Not sure what i need to do, but I seriously want to figure this out so I can get it up and running. I HATE WINDOWS, but the monopoly they have created, as well as the locked nature that OSX has developed over the years makes it so hard to really have what I want.

Don't say linux, either, cause I've tried it, Love it, But there still are just so many incompatibilities for it to be really worth switching permanently.

any bit helps !

Kyle

• 3 weeks later...

Typing this on my Hp Dv8t 18.4 inch 1080p beauty. Running Hazard 10.6.2 distro. Core i7, 6gig ram, two 320 gig hard drives, nVidia gt230m(qe/ci fully functional), BluRay rom/Dvd-rw drive. All usb ports, esata, trackpad,keyboard,sleep,sound and touch sensitive volume control work. Ethernet built in works. Have not tested hdmi out, or card readers. Wireless intel n card does not work, but my belken fd6 4050 usb N card is working. For the money I paid for this(half the price of a base 17inch mac book pro) with overnight shipping, I am VERY happy with the results.

;)

thank you g4sho for your report. WiFI: exchange with e.g. HP500 - BCM94312MCG from http://www.getpartsonline.com. But anybody interested please beware read this review from y-day 2010-04-01:

http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-dv8t-Quad-C...erBy=addOneStar

For anybody interested in a 18.4" HackbookPro, the HP HDX18 might be an alternative.

That person had some bad luck, it happens. But If you really want to get a lot more data(one review just isn't enough in my opinion), check out www.notebookreview.com, look in discussions . There you will find 1000's of owners of the different laptops available, and the ups and downs of ownership for each of the different models.

c

• 4 weeks later...

Hey people..i need some advice. I have a inspiron 6400, and was wondering if anyone is interested in creating me a disc image??

LISTEN - this is not piracy because I will send you the install DVD. Keep the bloody thing. I'll buy another! lol

I have tried several times to get things to install, with no go. I NEED to run 10.6.X becaus my accounting software needs atleast 10.5.7

I was hoping someone could help me get this going. I like most can't afford the real thing.

Anyone who has a inspiron 6400 with GMA 950, and wants to help and make a few dollars for your efforts, let me know ASAP

thanks guys!!!!

Scott - scott@lagunapools.ca

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm French & this is my own experience with my HP Compaq laptop.

With a genuine broadcom B,G,N wireless card fits inside ,in replacement of the original Atheros adapter (A genuine HP, it's very important, because the others are blacklisted in the Insyde's bios ! ), my Compaq CQ70-118EF works fine with Snow Leopard 10.6.3 retail & myHack bootloader on a SD card.

After a big mistake with an Acer equipped with Intel GMA 4500 HD ( I had to sold it only after 2 weeks...hum), which doesn't support quartz extreme video acceleration, I bought my COMPAQ CQ70-118EF.

It was the best laptop -with a lower price- that I've found on the French stores.

It comes with built-in nVidia 9200m 3D graphics card, and everything is functional excepts HDMI out & deep sleep.

I can do software update, everything is ok.

For a long time mic input wasn't functional, but after the install of VooDooHDA.kext & HDAenabler.prefpane , the sound card was able to work out of the box.

The first big mod I've made was changing the COMPAQ logo on computer start ; I used Insyde's bios tools in order to decompile the HP F52a bios. I change the compaq logo with an apple logo,flash with my moded bios with Insyde bios flash tools on win7, and now I have a beautiful apple when I start my Macbo.. Pro-hum sorry- my HackBook Pro B)

Recently, I change my processor ( a 2.0GHz Pentium Dual Core T3200 ) with a Core 2 Duo P8600 2,4 Ghz, because I saw on the CQ70 Maintenance guide that the motherboard were all the same on all the HP/Compaq CQ70-HP G70 series...AND IT WORKS GREAT !!! :D

At the end, and not the least, I remove the DVD Writer and I...soldered :moil: ( yes...! ) an 4 wires SATA connector on the motherboard, in order to put a 64 GB SSD for Mac OS X and my home folder + a second HDD ( in fact the original one SAMSUNG 250 GB )

It was the most important change in terms of speed :superman: .

SSD are unbelievable in a laptop ! It's like driving a city car & just after a Porsche, really !

Nice day from France & good work with Mac OS X ,

Jérôme alias Manoooze.

VoodooHDA_2.kext.zip

VoodooHDA.prefPane.zip

biosF52_modapple.fd.zip

EZH20_Insyde_bios_tools.zip

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I'm French & this is my own experience with my HP Compaq laptop.

Jérôme alias Manoooze.

WOW! That is some FANTASTIC great work you've done!!! Very impressive!

You should really start your own thread for you model laptop so others with your same machine can benefit.

GREAT JOB! Very inspiring.

;) ;) :) :) :D

• 3 months later...

Hello to all :(

I have an asus UL50VG with switchable graphic cards gma 4500 mhd and geforce g210M but i cant get to active g210M (dedicated graphic card) for get qe/ci.

I need an actually hackintosh laptop 15" compatible with snow leopard for use xcode and I supose that the graphic card must be compatible with qe/ci.

There are any hackintosh laptop 100% compatible ?

Thanks a lot.

@ jumbochilli, the Acer Aspire 4740G is a 14" but seahawkwest is asking for a 15" ..............

@ Nameci: can you please provide for us a link where to purchase the Hasee W230N? You state your location as "Factory of the world...", so I guess you purchased it in China?

• 2 weeks later...

Guys. I have another laptop to report!

i own a compaq c300 (old i know).

Its fully compatible with everything (except the 3.5mic in port) on leopard. (my need wifi card change ["MAY DO"!!])

ALSO (C310 model [ie it has gma945 not 940gml]):

With a cpu upgrade (it possible, ive done it), it fully runs snow leopard perfectly but with the mic in problem.

CPU upgraded to was a core duo t2300. Both cores work instantly and is fully stable.

Its a weak laptop:

gma945

core duo t2300 (if you do what i did) otherwise t1300

btw guys i believe im one of the only people to have ever replaced the cpu in this laptop. its easy to do, but not the easiest option, or is technically snow leopard compatible by default.

re. Mic in (which is important for i.e. Skype, Google Voice etc.): is it a ConexantHDA in the C300? If so, have you tried all available mods of VoodooHDA and AppleHDA? The C500's Conexabt HDA works with VoodooHDA from Google.Code. Slice's mod (end of entry posting) might even be better ..

PS: don't forget to remove the Azalia kext BEFORE installing any HDA kext ...

re. Mic in (which is important for i.e. Skype, Google Voice etc.): is it a ConexantHDA in the C300? If so, have you tried all available mods of VoodooHDA and AppleHDA? The C500's Conexabt HDA works with VoodooHDA from Google.Code. Slice's mod (end of entry posting) might even be better ..

PS: don't forget to remove the Azalia kext BEFORE installing any HDA kext ...

Ive tried 3 or 4 voodooHDA's. none worked. I never found slices one, so ill try that, and report back :)

I will say that if you have a USB mic thats mac compatible, it works fine.