SoundMax AD198x - AC97 Sound

micline

127 posts in this topic

Can someone please help? I very new to this and would like to get my sound working if possible. I think I have read enough on this forum to edit the plist but very confused how about to identify my device id.

Using DXdiag in XP I get the following info about my onboard sound card.

SoundMax digital audio

Device id PCI\VEN_8086DEV_27DESUBSYS_01AD1028REV_C

Manufacturer ID 65535

Product ID 65535

Thank you advance for any help

I have SoundMax Digital Audio

My motherboard is P4PE2-X from ASUS

Vendor ID 8086

Device ID 24C5

<string>0x00da10de 0x006a10de 0x01b110de 0x24C58086</string> or <string>0x00da8086 0x006a8086 0x01b18086 0x005910de</string>

In both cases of a sound is not present

Hi, guys.

I have installed MAC OS Tiger 10.4.3 and it seems to work perfect apart from my bloody SpeedTouch ADSL USB modem and my sound!

I have 2 sound boards: one of these is the Audigy 2 ZS... and it doesn't work at all.

The other Sound Board is the one of my Mother Board (Asus P5GL-MX). It's called SoundMax, as you know.

Well, my problem is that I can see the sound bars, I can move them, I can see the waves moving when I start a player, but I cannot hear ANYTHING! :hysterical:

Does anybody know what I should do in order to make it work?

I want to add that I have tried to erase all the ATI drivers from the Extensions folder, but I have exactly the same situation as before. :-(

I really hope somebody knows what's happening.. if not I could not use my MAC, because without music this world is so boring! :hysterical:

Byeeee

This is my sound card info can anyone help.Generated using dxdiag

Description: Realtek AC97 Audio

Default Sound Playback: Yes

Default Voice Playback: Yes

Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4341&SUBSYS_FF101179&REV_00

Manufacturer ID: 1

Product ID: 100

Type: WDM

Driver Name: ALCXWDM.SYS

Driver Version: 5.10.0000.5510 (English)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Date and Size: 2/26/2004 22:20:38, 611820 bytes

Other Files:

Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

HW Accel Level: Full

Cap Flags: 0xB5B

Min/Max Sample Rate: 8000, 48000

Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0

Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0

HW Memory: 0

Voice Management: No

EAX 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No

I3DL2 Listen/Src: No, No

Sensaura ZoomFX: No

Registry: OK

Sound Test Result: Not run

I was jsut wondering if anyone knows of any third party diagnostics utilities for osx, so i can check what sound card I have, and thus my ID. I know this is probably an inexistent tool considering apples proprietary hardware, but thought it was worth a shot. The reason I ask is because I don't have a windows machine.thanks.

Try these Modifed kext file, place in Harddrive System Library Extensions, enter your root password, reboot, and let me know if the sound works

Ben

Ben, I've done what you suggested and... NOTHING! The only thing I can do is whistling myself :whistle:

As it was earlier, I can see and move the volume bar etc, but I hear no sound.

If I go to System Information, I see HD Audio Output as output device; I see no input device.

Anybody could be able to solve my problem? if so, I invite you for lunch, dinner, pizza party, etc.! :angel:

Thank you guys

At the risk of sounding stupid, are you sure that you have your output device (speakers, etc.) hooked up to the correct jack on the back of the soundcard?

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I, too, couldn't get sound out of my install. I had the same symptoms you did - everything looked perfect - just no sound.

I then tried a last ditch effort and plugged my speakers into the black jack on the back of my soundcard - and it worked!

Just a thought...

At the risk of sounding stupid, are you sure that you have your output device (speakers, etc.) hooked up to the correct jack on the back of the soundcard?

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I, too, couldn't get sound out of my install. I had the same symptoms you did - everything looked perfect - just no sound.

I then tried a last ditch effort and plugged my speakers into the black jack on the back of my soundcard - and it worked!

Just a thought...

Thank you very much for your answer... Unfortunately I did try all the possibilities. Since in Windows I don't normally use the same sound card, I first plugged the sound card in Windows to the various speakers (I have a 5.1 system), I tested each of them.

When I was sure everything worked perfectly, I switched to MAC and I had no sound, as before. :gun:

I find absurd that there is no solution for the 2 sound cards I have!

(My specs are: CPU Intel P4 630 dual 3.02 GHz, 2 Mb cache; Hard Disk SATA Maxtor 160 Gb partitioned and dual booted with native MAC installation; 1 Gb DDR RAM; Motherboard ASUS P5GL-MX [with the integrated SoundMax card we are talking about]; SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS [it doesn't work, either]; etc....)

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys really I need help

I install de Mac os X x86 in 2 dell optiplex 170l, and all looks find exept the f#ck!ing audio, I did try to find a new AppleAC97.kext a load it, but the only thing that I do is nothing, now my card sound is not the hardware list, Im really need help, First where can I find de AppleAC97.kext for a SoundMax digital audio whit this

VEN_8086

DEV_2405Subsy_017A1028

Rev_0

, I found some files but, only a .kext I cant enter to the folders below it

mail to pleae : hecbuma@gmail.com

atte: hecbuma, Im from Mexico so, my enlgish its not fine

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, I think I found the problem...

First of all, i have a AD1980 Chipset integrated in my Asus K8V-X with only the left channel working...

When i checked what kext were loaded with kextstat i actually found that the correct one (AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext) is not loaded!!!

Instead, the kext loaded is AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext!!!

I really don't know what to do... help me!!

• 4 weeks later...

guys if you find the left channel only working, try changing the input from Mic to Line-In in Audio Midi Setup Util (located in /Applications/Utilities). I have a soundmax adi1980 (added device and manufacturer ID to soundmax.kext in AppleAC97Audio.kext/plugins) card that works perfectly in os x if i plug it into the microphone jack (black slot).

my device id 266e

manufacturer id 8086

ps: if you are running 10.4.4/10.4.5, i suggest you use the 10.4.3 kext as the volume control seems messed with 10.4.4 and 10.4.5 using their respective kexts.

guys if you find the left channel only working, try changing the input from Mic to Line-In in Audio Midi Setup Util (located in /Applications/Utilities). I have a soundmax adi1980 (added device and manufacturer ID to soundmax.kext in AppleAC97Audio.kext/plugins) card that works perfectly in os x if i plug it into the microphone jack (black slot).

my device id 266e

manufacturer id 8086

ps: if you are running 10.4.4/10.4.5, i suggest you use the 10.4.3 kext as the volume control seems messed with 10.4.4 and 10.4.5 using their respective kexts.

I got the same chipset, installed the 10.4.3 kext and.....it ONLY works in digital!!!! Fortunally i've got my Pc (or mac??) connected to a Digital 5.1 amplifier! I found a connector in motherboard SPDIF and i connected an RCA connector. After lots and lots of trying this is the only way i reached to make me MAC talk! I haven't a standard motherboard, it's a Fujitsu-SIEMENS Scenic W620 PC with i915G. With the Marklar one works all fine but the sound, with the 10.4.5 i needed an USB kwyboard, to connect my mice to an USB port, and it all worked fine! Also the IEEE1394 in my Audigy2 works fine, i connected my iPod and the system found it! I also got an M-AUDIO Audiophile 2496, but i must wait for the Intel drivers!

Thanx for the advice! Hope my xperience help!!!

TO MACGIRL:

hi my ac97 works fine (P4P800SE)=soundmax 198X

BUT a great but, i cant have sound into openal app and unfortunately QuAKE4 cant play with sound....

any solution for this? i know it's linked to the lack of IOHDAudioFamily and works fine using the Azalia kext (which isnt our card ehehe)

thanx

• 2 months later...
What is codec ID? First, you can get it from Windows XP with EVEREST (http://www.lavalys.hu/index.php). If already you knew your codec chip, for example: AD1986a, you can get the ID from Analog Devices datasheet.

I've spent two days working on this. Analog Devices' spec sheet for the AD1981B does not list the register information for the CODEC and Everest is no longer freeware and the trialware version does not give the register information either. So how do I find the CODEC ID?! :D

Hi Lucose,

I've tried your method and AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext was loaded successfully

via kextload -v AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext.

Also, your next steps were followed:

rm Extensions.kextcache

kextcache -k Extensions

However, it did not get automatically loaded after reboot, and thus no sound still.

(Nothing displayed with "kextstat | grep -i ac97".)

Do you have any idea what I could do to fix this?

Btw, my audio chip is AD1986a too.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

If you get a Analog Devices AC97 Codec, you can try to modify the plist file to get it work. First in your "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Context/PlugIn/AppleAC97CodecAD198x/Context/Info.plist"

Find the pattern:

<dict>
 <key>AD198x</key>
 <dict>
 	<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
 	<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAC97CodecAD198x</string>
 	<key>IOClass</key>
 	<string>AppleAC97CodecAD198x</string>
 	<key>IOProbeScore</key>
 	<integer>10000</integer>
 	<key>IOProviderClass</key>
 	<string>IOAC97CodecDevice</string>
 	<key>PNPVendorID</key>
 	<string>ADS75 ADS74 ADS73 ADS72</string>
 </dict>
</dict>

Change codec device ID to yours. What is codec ID? First, you can get it from Windows XP with EVEREST (http://www.lavalys.hu/index.php). If already you knew your codec chip, for example: AD1986a, you can get the ID from Analog Devices datasheet. Now I use AD1986a as sample:

Read the AD1986a spec, you can find the vender ID in register 7C, 7E.

Register 7C = 0x4144

Register 7E = 0x5378

Which '41' '44' '53' are ASCII codes, they are 'A', 'D', and 'S'. And the LSB byte of register 7E indicates the number of codec ID. Here AD1986a is '78'. So you can get the whole ID of AD1986a; it is 'ADS78'. It's simple, right?

All right, modify the above Info.plist file. Change any one of them (ADS75 ADS74 ADS73 ADS72) to ADS78.

<dict>
 <key>AD198x</key>
 <dict>
 	<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
 	<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAC97CodecAD198x</string>
 	<key>IOClass</key>
 	<string>AppleAC97CodecAD198x</string>
 	<key>IOProbeScore</key>
 	<integer>10000</integer>
 	<key>IOProviderClass</key>
 	<string>IOAC97CodecDevice</string>
 	<key>PNPVendorID</key>
 	<string>ADS78 ADS74 ADS73 ADS72</string> <=== MODIFY THIS LINE!
 </dict>
</dict>

Remember that keep 4 IDs in the line "<string>ADS78 ADS74 ADS73 ADS72</string>"

The last step is load the AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext:

sudo -s
kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97.kext/Context/PlugIn/AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext
cd /System/Library
rm Extensions.kextcache
kextcache -k Extensions

You can use:

kextstat | grep AC97

check AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext loaded or not.

This way only for Analog Devices AD19xx (lucky guys). Other codec like Realtek still not working (at least on my Realtek ALC250 not working!).

Get a try! :)

EDIT::

By the way, if this way working, please someone moves this thread into 'Success' or open a new thread in 'Success', thanks.