• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

dutchiesmokah

dutchiesmokah

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Upgraded to 10.6.4 with new kext files but somehow graphics are very slow, I have the feeling that CI/QE is not working properly :) Did anybody tried out the following solution for graphics fix?

Doesn't anybody has the same problem with the new kext files? Strange thing is that the screensaver is working but very very slow... I thought that the screensaver would not work if CI/QE is disabled.

CC.

CC.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Anybody have a guide to upgrade to 10.6.4? I have 10.6.3 running perfect but I see various posts showing that going to 10.6.4 breaks the system.

Thanks!

DanielFo

DanielFo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Anybody have a guide to upgrade to 10.6.4? I have 10.6.3 running perfect but I see various posts showing that going to 10.6.4 breaks the system.

Thanks!

Please wait. I'm going to update my guide and upload new files when 10.6.5 comes out...

Apple Seeds Mac OS X 10.6.5 Build 10H571 to Select Developers
Friday November 05, 2010 07:59 PM EST

EDIT: 10.6.5 is out. stay tuned...

DanielFo

DanielFo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
10.6.5 package is there....

CC.

CC.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

10.6.5 package is there....

I'm upgrading from 10.6.4 and used the Apple sw update to download/install the 10.6.5 update. Then I unzipped daniel fo's 10.6.5 updater and it showed an error that this is meant for 10.6.5 only. Contrary to the update instructions the only option to install 10.6.5 is to reboot. But the instructions say do not reboot without installing the hackintosh update--but that update won't install since it requires the 10.6.5 to already be installed. Argh. So I clicked the reboot button... Seems to be stuck?

redfaction

redfaction

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
worked perfectly for me, upgraded from 10.6.3.

Thanks a lot  :)

DanielFo

DanielFo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

I'm upgrading from 10.6.4 and used the Apple sw update to download/install the 10.6.5 update. Then I unzipped daniel fo's 10.6.5 updater and it showed an error that this is meant for 10.6.5 only. Contrary to the update instructions the only option to install 10.6.5 is to reboot. But the instructions say do not reboot without installing the hackintosh update--but that update won't install since it requires the 10.6.5 to already be installed. Argh. So I clicked the reboot button... Seems to be stuck?

i said COMBO update, not the built-in updater... you had to download the combo update... now you can only try my old boot cd to boot into your os and install my drivers.
i have to build a new boot cd...

CC.

CC.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yep, Daniel's right. My brain scooted over that fact. ...Bad.

i said COMBO update, not the built-in updater... you had to download the combo update... now you can only try my old boot cd to boot into your os and install my drivers.
i have to build a new boot cd...

CC.

CC.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Yep, Daniel's right. My brain scooted over that fact. ...Bad.

so I'm trying to work out how to dig myself out of this hole. DanielFo said a new boot cd would be needed. But since that doesn't exist yet, I've booted the eee box using the old cd and I reached the os x login screen where I'm stuck because it seems to lack support for USB(?) or at minimum the keyboard and mouse are unresponsive.

What I tried so far, USBBusFix=Yes (and it's related individual flags) did not do anything to restore USB. Basically the USB keyboard and mouse and other USB items work until it boots up then everything USB related stops. I can tell the computer isn't frozen because eventually the screen saver comes on. I had previously enabled screen sharing but I'm using an Apple USB Ethernet device so the network is unavailable without USB. Ugh. I can't think of a way to get in there.

Suggestions?

CC.

CC.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
pulled the drive and used another Mac to install the eeebox 10.6.5 b202 package results in the system booting past the grey apple logo, but once th spinning disc goes away the system is frozen.

I'm now trying to restore from a time machine backup...

so I'm trying to work out how to dig myself out of this hole. DanielFo said a new boot cd would be needed. But since that doesn't exist yet, I've booted the eee box using the old cd and I reached the os x login screen where I'm stuck because it seems to lack support for USB(?) or at minimum the keyboard and mouse are unresponsive.

What I tried so far, USBBusFix=Yes (and it's related individual flags) did not do anything to restore USB. Basically the USB keyboard and mouse and other USB items work until it boots up then everything USB related stops. I can tell the computer isn't frozen because eventually the screen saver comes on. I had previously enabled screen sharing but I'm using an Apple USB Ethernet device so the network is unavailable without USB. Ugh. I can't think of a way to get in there.

Suggestions?

CC.

CC.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

pulled the drive and used another Mac to install the eeebox 10.6.5 b202 package results in the system booting past the grey apple logo, but once th spinning disc goes away the system is frozen.

I'm now trying to restore from a time machine backup...

argh. It gets worse and worse. Now after restoring my time machine backup when booting up it spits out:

boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: error

no idea...

DanielFo

DanielFo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

argh. It gets worse and worse. Now after restoring my time machine backup when booting up it spits out:

boot0: GPT
boot0: error

no idea...

i know you have an usb enclosure. just install my 10.6.3 package after restoring your backup.
EeeBox_B202_1063.zip

jc.yin

jc.yin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

i know you have an usb enclosure. just install my 10.6.3 package after restoring your backup.
EeeBox_B202_1063.zip

hey man, thanx for the helpful guide. however, i followed your instructions and installed from a fresh retail copy of Snow Leopard 10.6.3

however, once i've updated to the combo 10.6.5 and installed the eeebox driver package at the same time, my mouse and keyboard aren't responding anymore after the reboot......

i'm re-installating again and i'm wondering whether there is a way around this?

thanx :D

DanielFo

DanielFo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

hey man, thanx for the helpful guide. however, i followed your instructions and installed from a fresh retail copy of Snow Leopard 10.6.3

however, once i've updated to the combo 10.6.5 and installed the eeebox driver package at the same time, my mouse and keyboard aren't responding anymore after the reboot......

i'm re-installating again and i'm wondering whether there is a way around this?

thanx :D

not really at the same time... after the combo update finished, let the window open and then run my installer. i tried it several times, no problems so far...

jc.yin

jc.yin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

not really at the same time... after the combo update finished, let the window open and then run my installer. i tried it several times, no problems so far...

srry, i meant one after the other. i let the combo update finish, then i left the "restart request" window open. after that i started the eeebox driver installation. after that installation i reboot and thats where both my keyboard and mouse become unresponsive...

DanielFo

DanielFo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

srry, i meant one after the other. i let the combo update finish, then i left the "restart request" window open. after that i started the eeebox driver installation. after that installation i reboot and thats where both my keyboard and mouse become unresponsive...

that is strange. press f8 at boot (before the apple logo appears) and boot with "-v -f" boot options...

jc.yin

jc.yin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

that is strange. press f8 at boot (before the apple logo appears) and boot with "-v -f" boot options...

right now, what i did was that i re-installed OS X according to the instructions. however, after the installation it gets stuck at the default background but nothing appears somehow. no dock, no task bar etc..... i reboot and the same issue persists despite two re-installs. could the combo install messed it up? i have the 10.6.3 default snow leopard retail...
and i also used the USB install mode, could that have been the cause?

CC.

CC.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm having similar issues. I was the one that inadvertently upgraded 10.6.3 to 10.6.5 using the Software Update instead. But after much work I reverted the system back down to 10.6.3 and upgraded following the directions very carefully. And upon rebooting, it freezes up right after the apple logo goes away. The screen blanks as if it's preparing to go to Finder but then it pops up a blank grey screen and it's stuck. No hard drive activity whatsoever.

Booting using -v -f DOES work. It boots into the system. However after a few hours of being idle, the screen blanks and the computer is frozen. This wasn't the case with 10.6.3. In 10.6.3 if you click the mouse or the keyboard the computer will wake up. It's just a black screen.

Any ideas?? I tried installing DanielFo's 10.6.5 package several times but it does not successfully reboot. I have to F8 and then go to -v -f and then after that it works for a while but freezes up at some point if the machine is idle.

right now, what i did was that i re-installed OS X according to the instructions. however, after the installation it gets stuck at the default background but nothing appears somehow. no dock, no task bar etc..... i reboot and the same issue persists despite two re-installs. could the combo install messed it up? i have the 10.6.3 default snow leopard retail...
and i also used the USB install mode, could that have been the cause?

Jan Goergen

Jan Goergen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey Guys,

I am so happy I found this post.
I have an apple TV in my lounge but wanted to replace it with an mac mini.

But then I found this thread and now I am thinking if i should just go with the
Asus Eee Box B204 or newer. The really good thing is that is has a HDMI out and an IR receiver for the remote. I would use the eee box just for Plex and steam music, movies and pics from my WHS.

Now my questions:
Has anyone tried to install osX on a B204 or newer?
Could I use the b202 and have a dvi-hdmi adapter without getting the grey screen?
Has anybody got the apple remote working?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jan

Vincent hure

Vincent hure

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thank you, it's working soooooo good.
I have installed everything as a real macintosh , pack microsoft, dropbox, skype, gimp, firefox ....
no problem.
I don't know how you can do that but it's very usefull.

:) :) :rolleyes:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy