[GUIDE] Eeebox B202 and Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.5 Retail

DanielFo

211 posts in this topic

I bought the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 DVD yesterday.

Booted with the bootcd and used the dvd after.

installed OS X without a problem.

installed 10.6.5 combo update and left window open when asking to restart.

installed the b202 driver pack.

rebooted.

now i got a flashing cursor.

i am @ work now so when i'm home i will start booting with bootcd again and reinstall driver pack.

hoping this wil work.

then i will try to install 10.6.6.

install b202 driver pack again

then gonna download xcode4.

hopefully it will all work without to many problems.

did someone tried this before? any comment would be helpfull.

Also does anyone know if DanielFO is creating a updated pack for the latest update from os x?

And did anyone try the xcode4 software on the b202? if yes what is performance experience?

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry man but this topic seems abandoned, although I would like to see all of this {censored} updated including the BIOS fix which must be far outdated by now since they came out with new revisions afterward.

Anyways I am not sure if they will update this guide and the files, to bad :L I will eventually get an iMac I think. For now I'm using Ubuntu.

• 2 weeks later...

Feels like I'm the last person to find out that I could turn my EeeBox B202 into a Mac Mini. ;):(

My B202 came with JMicron JMC250 ethernet and Atheros AR9285 wireless network adapters.

If these two parts are a problem, I'm not sure how I'm going to do the upgrade part to 10.6.5.

Will the Atheros AR9285 wireless adapter work under SL 10.6.0?

And I don't even have access to a 2nd PC or let alone a Mac.

I have ordered some parts, e.g. extra 1Gb DDR2 SODimm, a 16Gb USB Flash pen, a 16Gb SDHC card, a copy of Snow Leopard 10.6 Retail DVD and an external USB DVD burner. Will have these items in 2 days time, hopefully.

I just hope I succeed because, in my utter frustration, to help me make the USB installer for ease of installing Snow Leopard, I nearly bought a used macbook pro for £500 on ebay. ^_^

Please do give me some tips or advice as I really need it. Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: I done it! Thank you Daniel. :)

Running 10.6.5 for about a week now. Loving it.

My B202 is performing far better and looks sexy with Mac OS X than it did with WinXP or... Linux... Ugh, Linux. Don't get me started. I played around with Ubuntu 11.04, Linux Mint 11 and Fedora 15. All had various annoying problems that would drive you absolutely nuts, e.g. poor performance of Adobe Flash Player being one problem that, at least to my knowledge, nobody in the Linux community has figured out. ;)

Anyway, apart from the JMicron JMC250 ethernet LAN not working, everything else seems to be working great, including AirPort with my B202's own Atheros AR9285 wireless adapter (using this Atheros kext).

Now there is just one problem (Daniel please come back!): how to update to 10.6.8 without breaking anything? :):D

• 2 weeks later...

Got booting now.

I used an external USB HD enclosure, and installed SL 10.6.0 from a normal MAC.

I then installed "MyHack" on my MAC, and told it to install on top of my new SL 10.6.0. install, on the external usb hd.

I then booted the EeeBox with -v -x cpus=1 busratio=20.

Then i used CarbonCopyCloner, to get it on my internalHD of the eeebox.

I will do some update later on.

Hi,

My B202 is working with last Bios and SL 10.6.8.

I put Kexts in /System/Library/Extensions

Modified Dsdt, patched Gma950 kexts and module KernelPatcher. ( Thanks Meklort )

you'll find all needed files in this three zip.

Extra.zip

Boot.zip

Kexts.zip

Regards

Would you mind providing some instructions on how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

My B202 is working with last Bios and SL 10.6.8.

I put Kexts in /System/Library/Extensions

Modified Dsdt, patched Gma950 kexts and module KernelPatcher. ( Thanks Meklort )

you'll find all needed files in this three zip.

Extra.zip

Boot.zip

Kexts.zip

Regards

Sorry, to clarify are you using the latest BIOS from ASUS or the 1024 BIOS from this post? If it is the one form the post can you post a link? I can't download it from the main page.

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

I too have had issues downloading the EEEBOX B202 build files for OSX 10.6.5 (from links provided in the first page of this thread) but I am also keen to get it up to 10.6.8 if possible. Unfortunately I did the unthinkable on my 10.6.2 build and ran software update without first backing up the OS. :thumbsup_anim:

Now I can't revert and my BIOS/Bootloader is useless without using the original OSX install files as well.

Anychance someone can help out (PM if public isn't preferred)? I'm pretty newb so the preferred method would be as per the original instructions in this thread provided the 10.6.5 files are available.

Thanks in advance!

for those having problems, 10.6.3 files are here

and this

Sorry to be a pain in the backside, but was your '10.6.3 files are here' quote supposed to contain a hyperlink to them? (it doesn't) and I have searched the site for a modded BIOS & fix files but can't find them. Basically at the moment I can boot from the original OSX files I saved to an SD card and install OSX OK. However, I still need the SD Card containing and bootloader & original install files to boot. I cannot change to the EEEBOX's HD, and when I install ANY combo past 10.6.3, I can no longer boot the HD from the original SD card either. I have updated my BIOS to the latest ASUS release but I am unsure if the Chamelion boot loader was integrated into the original modded BIOS or if it's on my source install SD card (because when I press F8, chamelion still appears as a bootloader).

Can someone please explain if the bootloader is installed as part of the modded BIOS or if it's in the bootsector of my HD, because I have nuked my HD completely using GDisk with the /MBR switch and killed all original boot partitions. I can only assume it's a bios thing or my SD card has a Chamelion boot sector. Either way, I don't remember what I did originally because it was early 2010, but I seem to remember I didn't have to do much modding other than the BIOS to get everything going. If I had the source files mentioned at the start of this tutorial (eg. B202-1204-OSX-V5.zip & EeeBox_B202_10.6.5.zip), I'm sure it would be easy enough to resurrect ;-)

Happy to share the bios, boot CD and 10.6.3 package from the original post

This should bring you smoothly to 10.6.3

Enjoy!

B202_1204_OSX_V5.zip

EeeBox_B202_10.6.3.mpkg.part1.rar

EeeBox_B202_10.6.3.mpkg.part2.rar

EeeBox_B202_BootCDCopy_V2.zip.part1.rar

EeeBox_B202_BootCDCopy_V2.zip.part2.rar

LegacyBootCD.zip.part1.rar

LegacyBootCD.zip.part2.rar

• Like 1