OSXRestart.kext

Master Chief

173 posts in this topic

What in .... name are they doing with the following Asus specific code:
Name (ASSB, 0x00)
Name (AOTB, 0x00)
Name (AAXB, 0x00)

Thanks for sharing man!

HINT: Try to find an ASUS i5 DSDT then compare :)

IMHO is just an unfinished port from AMI code...that is more then lame for Apple...

HINT: Try to find an ASUS i5 DSDT then compare :D IMHO is just an unfinished port from AMI code...that is more then lame for Apple...

In other words; Apple doesn't develop the DSDT code in-house, but let AMI et all do it for them.

Thank for the hint.

reboot and shutdown working fine in Asus P5LD2-VM SE mobo.

thanks!

Thank you for the confirmation. Have fun now.

Nah what I supposed IMHO is just an unfinished port from AMI code, that mean they released the product w/o to finish it... I have no idea how things works on big manufacturers, but for sure that code belongs to AMI, also P0P2-x vs RP02-x(this one has both lol) and _PRT stuff...

OSXRestart.kext works fine on my Asus P5Q-E.

Shutdown did not work the first time (install, reboot, shut down) but it's fine now.

/edit 18/12

Actually I have to take that back, shutdown does not always work. I haven't tracked down exactly when it works and when it doesn't yet but I will try.

• 2 weeks later...
The fact that some people here can only restart with EvoReboot or OpenHaltRestart, where a clean method doesn't work, that simply confirms what I already know... they need a crowbar to restart their hack. Which means that they have work to do. And that is where this forum comes in place ;)

I haven't tested your kext yet, as I'm still going through my DSDT code. I'm not just trying to patch it but learning it row by row and making changes when needed. My system (HP 8510w) is very similar to MBP3,1 so I have a good reference.

But my question is, why would we need your kext at all? Why the Vanilla install fails to restart? For me, having extra kext is hack anyway, no matter how clean one it might be. Can't the restart issues be solved with DSDT coding?

But my question is, why would we need your kext at all? Why the Vanilla install fails to restart? For me, having extra kext is hack anyway, no matter how clean one it might be. Can't the restart issues be solved with DSDT coding?

Õun :P

Restart problems goes to chameleon(there isn't full control for SL kernel yet). I'm sure about this, because with Leopard I have native restart/shoutdown, using just fixed DSDT and fakesmc.kext(can't be emulated in DSDT, because of static values), but with SL have shoutdown only. OSXRestart use "magic" method, based on BIOS FACP table, so, in SL, it have a "Force Restart" function . I don't know it's good or not, but this is a better solution at the moment then OHR or Ev...(OHR clone)...

• 4 weeks later...
OSXrestart v5 works for p6t se whit bios P6T-SE-ASUS-0608

and snow leopard.

coretion dont shutdown properly not complete of of system

OSXRestart.kext works fine on my Asus P5Q-E.

Shutdown did not work the first time (install, reboot, shut down) but it's fine now.

/edit 18/12

Actually I have to take that back, shutdown does not always work. I haven't tracked down exactly when it works and when it doesn't yet but I will try.

Breaks shutdown with this new method!

Openhaltrestart.kext fixed the shutdown problem on my Asus p5k e wifi ap, that needed the Xcode CHUD.pkg and the powerofffix.zip a long time ago.

But it seems with this new restart method in FADT it fixes "black screen on restart after successful sleep and wake" for me, but it breaks shutdown like you mentioned! Well it sometimes shutdown and sometimes doesn't. The lights are off but fans are still spinning. Maybe allot of users have this but don't hear the fans spinning... that was also my problem.

So maybe a lot of users still need OpenHaltRestart.kext, but if they will go with this new method they might also need a fix for halt/shutdown.

OSXHalt.kext a new project?, for Asus boards which also need shutdown fix?

ps:http://cloud.github.com/downloads/aserebln/Chameleon/Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.7.zip #only fixes restart not shutdown.

Shutdown should be fixed in your DSDT. Restart was different in that we could use a simple kext, patch the boot loader like Duvel300 did, or by patching the FACP table in the BIOS (see my signature).

Thanks for the quick response.

Could you point to the dsdt fix for shutdown? Or a section of code in your dsdt?

BTW I see you also have Asus boards according to your signature and quadcore CPU's. It remembers me this shutdown problem was mostly with quadcores and the CHUD package was for disabling other cores before shutdown... But that's a old story.

specs:

cpu Q6600

mb p5k e wifi ap

Thanks for the quick response.

Could you point to the dsdt fix for shutdown? Or a section of code in your dsdt?

BTW I see you also have Asus boards according to your signature and quadcore CPU's. It remembers me this shutdown problem was mostly with quadcores and the CHUD package was for disabling other cores before shutdown... But that's a old story.

specs:

cpu Q6600

mb p5k e wifi ap

DSDT FIX for Shutdown:

In the following threads is see info about your/mm67 shutdown fix for asus / gigabyte.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188920 #page 8 "low profile"

I'm still figuring it out...

DSDT FIX for Shutdown:

In the following threads is see info about your/mm67 shutdown fix for asus / gigabyte.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188920 #page 8 "low profile"

I'm still figuring it out...

I found this code:

Method (_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)		  // Prepare To Sleep.
{
	If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05))			 // S5 (shutdown).
	{
		Store (One, \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.AG3E) // Return to S5 after power failure.
	}
	Else								 // S1, S3 or S4 (S2 is not supported).
	{
		\_SB.PCI0.SBUS.DISB ()
		\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.SPTS ()
		Store (Arg0, ASSB)
	}
}

But the problem is I think I need to add more methods/objects because AG3E is not in my DSDT and LPCB also. Could you post the codes/steps to just add a shutdown fix and the extra methods for that?

I found this code:

see post #...

But the problem is I think I need to add more methods/objects because AG3E is not in my DSDT and LPCB also. Could you post the codes/steps to just add a shutdown fix and the extra methods for that?

Please, do not merge other topics into this thread. Take it where it belongs as this thread is about OSXRestart.kext and OSXRestart.kext only. Not about DSDT hacking.

Thank you.

Please, do not merge other topics into this thread. Take it where it belongs as this thread is about OSXRestart.kext and OSXRestart.kext only. Not about DSDT hacking.

Thank you.

You're right, but you have to admit that a link or clue to the shutdown problem can belong in this thread? Because some people noticed this problem by the use of OSXRestart.kext. Not the whole story of course but just a good link to the solution.

Update:

Shutdown fix for DSDT for some People with ASUS boards, and maybe others look at this post by me.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...920&st=791#

PS:sorry for the thread hijack :)

Working great on a Gigabyte EP35-DS3P motherboard with 10.6.2. It was working before with EVoReboot but I figured i'd give it a try anyway and it works as intended. Hopefully it's got some advantages or gives me cleaner logs.