OSXRestart.kext

Master Chief

173 posts in this topic

and if you dare to handle IOService::message.... in your class you may give "sh**t" if dsdt broken or sbus, cbus ..xbus ?? :)

Right. Let me check that. Thanks.

Edit: I take it that you want me to add this:

IOReturn OSX_Restart_Handler::message(UInt32 type, IOService * provider, void * argument)
{
return super::message(type, provider, argument);

}

Right?

Never mind got it. Did a couple of reboots with the old code. It's fine now. OSXRestart.kext version 1.5 will be released shortly. Thanks again!

OSXRestart Version 1.5 is now available!!! – see attachments in post #1

Right. Let me check that. Thanks.

Edit: I take it that you want me to add this:

IOReturn OSX_Restart_Handler::message(UInt32 type, IOService * provider, void * argument)
{
return kIOReturnSuccess;

}

Right?

just return success not enough ,

1: attach your class to correct provider

2: handle messages / sub messages start's with kIOMes.... and sub comes from argument ( cast it to int )

i give you all possible hints

wish to give entire function(s) but you all know where will finish so no more favors to psysf**k and "co"

just read darn iokit doc's - all you need is there :)

have a fun

Master Chief,

The Finder says that v1.5 is v1.4. Did the Info.plist not get updated or did the wrong kext get zipped?

I've downloaded the attachment from post #1 and checked the version info – both strings are set to 1.5 but "Bundle versions string, short" is still 1.4 Let me fix this for the next update. Thanks.

MasterChief and other ppl:

The restart works great and thanks for the update. One issue that I noticed is that I cannot restart after waking the computer from sleep. So that there isn't any confusion in what I'm saying:

1) Put computer to sleep

2) Wake computer from sleep

3) Attempt to restart computer

= Computer won't restart.

I've tested this about 6 times after putting the computer to sleep and it doesn't work. All other times it(OsxRestart) works....

Well done! works OK for me Only 4 Kexts on my extra, vodoohda, openhaltrestar (for shutdown) , fakesmc of course...and OSXRestart and all togethers works fine, now it can shut down, can restart, can sleep, can wake up after sleep and can shut down or restart fine afer waking up ! thanks!

Thanks for the update!! I'll test it out asap.

Thanks!

MasterChief,

Checked out 1.5b and no restarts on this laptop. 1.3 and 1.5 work as long as the computer hasn't been put to sleep at some point...

Thanks for checkin out the issue!

from dmesg the extension is loaded

OSXRestart Version 1.5b \M-B\M-) Master Chief 2009

but now the reboot doesn't work at all

Oops. Thanks for testing. Will look at it later today (just woke up early).

MasterChief,

Checked out 1.5b and no restarts on this laptop. 1.3 and 1.5 work as long as the computer hasn't been put to sleep at some point...

Thanks for checkin out the issue!

Seems like the tips I got from np_ in post #100 aren't working. For now; Keep using OSXRestart v1.5 while I figure out another solution. Might take a while because I also have to finish other work.

p.s. I did add a short info string (see kernel.log) simply because without this, I wouldn't know what people are using. And this will be especially useful for the upcoming releases... which will include new features.

Edit: Attached is a soup (test version only) of my work and that of np_ Let's see what this brings.

OSXRestart.kext.zip

Master Chief! Do you happen to have any idea on what is casuing slow shut downs and restart? Mine mainly takes 46s to shut down and restart. But once in a blue moon it takes less than 5s to do so!.. =)

OT talk: Well. Looking at the Apple forums; It can be anything. Checking log files and booting with -v (verbose) would be the first things to do. The next thing would be disabling hardware in the BIOS and removing kexts. But let's start by adding a signature first, because I don't even have a clue as to what hardware you are using. There might be some network adapter involved, but that is just another guess...