GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

Be aware that some of the plug-ins associated with FakeSMC could effect your C-States and increase core temperature. I'm not sure what your hardware setup is but your core temps seem a tad bit high. Check to see if you still have c-states active.

Thanks for the reply. My temps don't seem to have increased since i installed the new famkesmc. I'm running a ud5 with the DSDT mods from this thread. I'm currently overclocked to 3.2ghz. I've a nero cooler and even with the prime cpu torture test or an hoor or so I don't get over 90.

my setup ud5, i920 @3.2ghz aska nero cooler.

Cheers

Jon

Thanks for the reply. My temps don't seem to have increased since i installed the new famkesmc. I'm running a ud5 with the DSDT mods from this thread. I'm currently overclocked to 3.2ghz. I've a nero cooler and even with the prime cpu torture test or an hoor or so I don't get over 90.

my setup ud5, i920 @3.2ghz aska nero cooler.

Cheers

Jon

My results on "card 1" of my efi string GTX295 on idle and load with both MacPro settings show something a little interesting:

Performance level 0: gpu 300MHz/shader 600MHz/memory 100MHz/1.05V/100%

Performance level 1: gpu 400MHz/shader 800MHz/memory 300MHz/1.05V/100%

Performance level 2: gpu 576MHz/shader 1242MHz/memory 1008MHz/1.05V/100%

MacPro4,1 idle/load:

GPU: 300/300

Shader: 1296/1296

Memory: 1188/1188

MacPro3,1 idle/load:

GPU: 300/576

Shader: 1296/1242

Memory: 1188/1008

Looks like the "idle" speeds are hardcoded or something? Cause they aren't in my card's actual performance levels. Hell, they're higher than my maxes. I kinda want to "fix" it so it keep the overclock on the shader and mem clocks when loaded :(

I have everything working great right now. My kernel log shows turbo ratios 111122. My only problem is that even though I overclock my cpu (i980x) I don't see that in my OSX. It just gives me stock numbers 3.33Ghz and geekbench munbers are the same as non overclocked. Do you know why is that ?

I listed the few kexts I use towards the end of post 1.

Hey, i saw this.

Right now im using the following kexts:

ATA				      VERSION      ARCH    SIZE  DESTINATION
  (No files present to install)

Audio
1) HDAEnabler.kext                   1.0.0d1    x86_64    108K      /System
2) LegacyHDA.kext                    888           N/A     72K       /Extra

Graphics

Networking
3) RealtekR1000SL.kext               2.0.0d1    x86_64    256K      /System

Misc Patches
4) fakesmc.kext                      2          x86_64    124K       /Extra

Kernel & matching kext

BUT i can not use sleep! The computer just hangs.

Any Idea?

Thsi is my boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>cd03000001000000010....... gfx string...0214000000400032002c006e0061006d00650000001100000073656e736f722d706172656e74</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_64 -v boot-uuid=B255AB20-C785-4AA8-85BA-5E4FCD21BDAE</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>10</string>
</dict>	
</plist>

Even though I have patched my dsdt according to your post d00d, my i980x doesn't load c-states ?

That's why I guess SL can't load my overclocked settings and "see" my i980x with stock frequency.

Any idea how I can force c-states to load?

Hey, i saw this.

Right now im using the following kexts:

BUT i can not use sleep! The computer just hangs.

Any Idea?

Thsi is my boot.plist:

Does using GraphicsEnabler=yes in com.apple.Boot.plist instead of the device-properties string change the behavior?

The 9800 seems to be supported in Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-src/i386/libsaio/nvidia.c.

Help us help you by adding a signature to your profile with what you have, so we don't have to search through your posts; MB, CPU, GPU, bootloader, etc..

Even though I have patched my dsdt according to your post d00d, my i980x doesn't load c-states ?

That's why I guess SL can't load my overclocked settings and "see" my i980x with stock frequency.

Any idea how I can force c-states to load?

If you did 5 you are forcing CStates.

MacPro3,1, but at idle after wake the GPU was stuck at load level 2 instead of idle level 0.

I've gone back to using MacPro4,1, as I don't game on it.

Interesting like you, I had higher GPU temps up to 57C after sleep when changing to macpro3,1

But now after a while and sleeping system a few times without rebooting, gpu temps at idle have reduced

Cheers

Jon

see:

4747421746_c68e93a1fd_b.jpg

Ok guys i seem to be having some fluctuations in temps between windows 7 64 & Snow leopard.I tried the new fakesmc an saw that the voltage is changing so this means that speedsteppin is workin right?,Also Shutdown does not work,First time i tried it the screen came dark an i got the message that u have to hold down your power button ........etc,now it jus hangs.This is my second build an i 'm using Rankrotten's extra folder. Concering the temps, in my previous build i was using CruiSAr's files an Windows an Snow was like 1-2 Degree in difference,but now it's like 8-10 Degrees above windows,What's going on here?Ideas anyone?Here are some screens.

post-545549-1277862635_thumb.png post-545549-1277862650_thumb.png

Ok guys i seem to be having some fluctuations in temps between windows 7 64 & Snow leopard.I tried the new fakesmc an saw that the voltage is changing so this means that speedsteppin is workin right?,Also Shutdown does not work,First time i tried it the screen came dark an i got the message that u have to hold down your power button ........etc,now it jus hangs.This is my second build an i 'm using Rankrotten's extra folder. Concering the temps, in my previous build i was using CruiSAr's files an Windows an Snow was like 1-2 Degree in difference,but now it's like 8-10 Degrees above windows,What's going on here?Ideas anyone?Here are some screens.
yes

Did you do the item 16 shutdown modification?

Are you are using Rankrotten's GA-X58A-UD5 extra folder which includes it's DSDT, on your GA-EX58-UD5?

If so, that would explain why you are having problems.

Interesting like you, I had higher GPU temps up to 57C after sleep when changing to macpro3,1

But now after a while and sleeping system a few times without rebooting, gpu temps at idle have reduced

Cheers

Jon

Thanks, I'll try it again if Apple aor NVIDIA doesn't release a fix soon.

@ dood

No i'm using his files on the X58A-UD5,On my previous system (EX58-UD5) i used CruiSAr's files.

Ok, then does CruiSAr's DSDT have the item 16 shutdown modification?

My 2 cents. The info is still incomplete (as "GSATA" is some JMB and i dont know which) and i still did not studied the X58A. If you think that this information is irrelevant and redundant, please, ask-me and i should delete it. It is linked to a PNG that will be updated with the same name always, and will in the future include some info only relevant to my project so when / if this time comes, just say so and I will delete it ok?

I hope it helps:

TabelaX58.png

PS: PEX information for LAN in X58A is not confirmed

PS2: About the "groups" :

*The UD4P is equal to UD5/Extreme except for the scope for the TPM Security Chip. I made a protest against this (anti)Tech here: UD4P USERS BEAWARE (The chip normally is used only for good purposes in GB boards, but still keeps usable for not so great purposes for some, and as so the UD4P DSDT is overridable by UD5/Extreme.

*The Group B has the 2 identical UD3R DSDTs with only IRQ changes to UD4. UD4 allocates one more line to pic/apic in hub0 compared to DS4, it shall make no harm based on many tests did on P45 gigabyte platform. In the end UD3R DSDT can be used as source for all boards in Group B

*Group C is really identical, the latest bios dsdt will work for them all.

PS3: This is a scrap to be tested, not a rule written on stone. Be welcome to correct and - besides still not having the time to read this thread i will want to compare my ported from p45 dsdts with these tables when they are ready. For now I am working in removing TPM from UD4P, as soon as i have a complete work i can send you the dsdts.

PS4: About groupability and lans: having a 2nd addressed Lan device wont hurt those with only one ethernet.

PS5: Sorry for editing so many times, if you think this is a not-clean post please say it so so i will remove it.

Ok, then does CruiSAr's DSDT have the item 16 shutdown modification?

I used openhaltrestart kext with cruiSAr's DSDT because i was using a 4670 GPU.-_-

CruiSAr's DSDT

post-545549-1277926472_thumb.png

post-545549-1277926482_thumb.png

Ramkotten DSDT

post-545549-1277926528_thumb.png

post-545549-1277926567_thumb.png

My 2 cents. The info is still incomplete (as "GSATA" is some JMB and i dont know which) and i still did not studied the X58A. If you think that this information is irrelevant and redundant, please, ask-me and i should delete it. It is linked to a PNG that will be updated with the same name always, and will in the future include some info only relevant to my project so when / if this time comes, just say so and I will delete it ok?

I hope it helps:

TabelaX58.png

PS: PEX information for LAN in X58A is not confirmed

PS2: About the "groups" :

*The UD4P is equal to UD5/Extreme except for the scope for the TPM Security Chip. I made a protest against this (anti)Tech here: UD4P USERS BEAWARE (The chip normally is used only for good purposes in GB boards, but still keeps usable for not so great purposes for some, and as so the UD4P DSDT is overridable by UD5/Extreme.

*The Group B has the 2 identical UD3R DSDTs with only IRQ changes to UD4. UD4 allocates one more line to pic/apic in hub0 compared to DS4, it shall make no harm based on many tests did on P45 gigabyte platform. In the end UD3R DSDT can be used as source for all boards in Group B

*Group C is really identical, the latest bios dsdt will work for them all.

PS3: This is a scrap to be tested, not a rule written on stone. Be welcome to correct and - besides still not having the time to read this thread i will want to compare my ported from p45 dsdts with these tables when they are ready. For now I am working in removing TPM from UD4P, as soon as i have a complete work i can send you the dsdts.

PS4: About groupability and lans: having a 2nd addressed Lan device wont hurt those with only one ethernet.

PS5: Sorry for editing so many times, if you think this is a not-clean post please say it so so i will remove it.

Looks good, keep up the good work!

GA-X58A-UD9 has 8111E, not D.

I used openhaltrestart kext with cruiSAr's DSDT because i was using a 4670 GPU. :)
I don't see what one has to do with the other, but does adding the item 16 shutdown modification fix it?

thank you for the tip, just corrected.

Ill look better at X58A later.

Do you know what is the identity of what gigabyte calls "gsata"? I guess they use 322 for UD4P too, at least the code is identical. Still researching

Orange Icon Fix

I used this DSDT mod and it worked without the Orangeiconfix.kext. I have the EX58-UD5 with F9e BIOS.

from http://www.efixusers.com/showpost.php?p=2478&postcount=6

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x02)

{

"device-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x81, 0x26, 0x00, 0x00

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

I now have only 2 kexts - fakesmc and alc889a_v2.kext

I used d00d's patched dsdt - thanks d00d (by the way is that a reference to the big Lebowski?

I'm using d00d's DSDT for EX58-UD5 920, but sleep and restart don't work (shutdown is fine...). After going to sleep or hitting restart, the computer powers down but never comes back.

I'm only using fakesmc and OrangeIconFix, plus RealtekR1000 and VoodooHDA for network/audio. This feels like a BIOS issue. Any idea what gives? What BIOS settings are you guys using with d00d's DSDT?

Edit: EVOrestart fixes that bug, but I still get KPs after waking from sleep and then trying to restart. These are particularly nasty and don't even save anything in the panic log. They also aren't tied to any particular process/kext so it's hard to tell what's causing them.

Sinusoid

Voodoohda causes panics if you have pached your dsdt for audio HDEF (this enables AppleHDA.kext). Either redo that patch (replace HDEF with AZAL) or remove voodoohda and use use a legacy hda kext.

Orange Icon Fix

I used this DSDT mod and it worked without the Orangeiconfix.kext. I have the EX58-UD5 with F9e BIOS.

from http://www.efixusers.com/showpost.php?p=2478&postcount=6

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x02)

{

"device-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x81, 0x26, 0x00, 0x00

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

I now have only 2 kexts - fakesmc and alc889a_v2.kext

I used d00d's patched dsdt - thanks d00d (by the way is that a reference to the big Lebowski?

But now your drives show incorrectly as ESB2 instead of Intel ICH10 AHCI in System Profiler's Serial-ATA section.

Don't remember where `d00d' came from.

dood,i saw on the first page u still needed a DSDT.dsl for a X58A-UD5 (rev.1.0).Not to sure if u already got it but here it is below.The bios version is F5.

X58A_UD5__rev.1.0__F5_i7_930_DSDT__Clean_.zip

PS.I did it over again,cause i could not get it to open.

Thanks, but I'm looking for an unmodified one.

thank you for the tip, just corrected.

Ill look better at X58A later.

Do you know what is the identity of what gigabyte calls "gsata"? I guess they use 322 for UD4P too, at least the code is identical. Still researching

GSATA is the two JMB322 chips controlling the four GSATA2_0-3 ports.

In bios the DSDTs of X58As are identical
I saw that GA-X58A-UD7 rev 1.0 and GA-X58A-UD3R rev 1.0 differ in the address base in `Device (PCI0.EXPL)'.

I saw that GA-X58A-UD7 rev 1.0 and GA-X58A-UD3R rev 1.0 differ in the address base in `Device (PCI0.EXPL)'.

Depends on versions. EXPL is wonderlanded to 1458ABCD 1458ABC1 (1458 means gigabyte) in many bioses cause EXPL is the 0c02 post hub adressing device, its responsible for addressing the devices, what is already done by the other 0c02 plug and plays, cause they are basing themselfs that the OS will not use it.

On latest versions for:

UD3R 1.0 F6j

UD3R 2.x FA

UD5 1.0 F6i

UD5 2.x FA

UD7 F7r

you should find corrected addresses after gigabyte asking award to fix it.

I use

F4000000

for darwin compatibility but the whole chamelleon needs to change in order to correctly address gigabyte, and this device should have much more space, now im using C0000000 (correspondent to Hub0, the pci bridge) as base address but its also not correct as the devices connected to the 1st 2 pegs have address 10000000 and 60000000, the other 2 pegs should get 90000000 and C0000000 (pex0) as bases. but its all wrong.

they are fixing it, but you know... award is the chinese work exploitation company of phoenix... we cant expect much. The team changed, at last its minds.

sorry for entering your thread

PS: changing this addresses only work in bios level, and if chamelleon dont override them later...

Depends on versions. EXPL is wonderlanded to 1458ABCD 1458ABC1 (1458 means gigabyte) in many bioses cause EXPL is the 0c02 post hub adressing device, its responsible for addressing the devices, what is already done by the other 0c02 plug and plays, cause they are basing themselfs that the OS will not use it.

On latest versions for:

UD3R 1.0 F6j

UD3R 2.x FA

UD5 1.0 F6i

UD5 2.x FA

UD7 F7r

you should find corrected addresses after gigabyte asking award to fix it.

I use

F4000000

for darwin compatibility but the whole chamelleon needs to change in order to correctly address gigabyte, and this device should have much more space, now im using C0000000 (correspondent to Hub0, the pci bridge) as base address but its also not correct as the devices connected to the 1st 2 pegs have address 10000000 and 60000000, the other 2 pegs should get 90000000 and C0000000 (pex0) as bases. but its all wrong.

they are fixing it, but you know... award is the chinese work exploitation company of phoenix... we cant expect much. The team changed, at last its minds.

sorry for entering your thread

PS: changing this addresses only work in bios level, and if chamelleon dont override them later...

Thanks, your input is both welcome and valued in this thread.