GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

just read through the audio part of d00ds post, there are plenty of alternative methods, like my AppleHDA patcher or the LegacyHDA. You will have to edit your dsdt's audio section though.

thanks for the pointer!

i'll try it right away.

1) My onboard ethernet is working. but the iStat Menus are not showing any activity.

also the Link Speed is 0mbit in Network Utility.

i copied manually RealtekR1000SL.kext to my /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ folder.

added this to com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>yes</string>

rebuilt caches & repaired permissions and rebooted

did i do anything wrong or am i using wrong RealtekR1000SL.kext ?

2) Tried OrangeIconFix.kext (copied it to S/L/E) rebuilt caches & repaired permissions and rebooted

didnt change anything in com.apple.boot.plist (should i?) and it didnt have any effect. still orange icons.

also, i have a general question about performance. i tried Geekbench 2.1.4 64bit when i was running arch=i386 and i got around 9500points. tried the same with removing arch=i386 and booting 64bit. the result is 8555.

anyone have an explanation?

@alepus

btw i pm-ed you the mediafire links for my AppleHDA patcher

1. you are probably using the right Realtek1000SL kext. i got mine from digital_dreamers UD5 kext pack.

i dont really know much about ethernet hackintosh stuff

2.you need to put orangeiconfix in /Extra not /S/L/E

i dont know about that geekbench stuff either, but that doesnt sound to good...

its possible that it hasnt been properly written for 64-bit yet....

this article explains that the only real macs to use 64-bit mode are the Xserves:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=4712

...but it may be a little out of date.

@alepus

btw i pm-ed you the mediafire links for my AppleHDA patcher

1. you are probably using the right Realtek1000SL kext. i got mine from digital_dreamers UD5 kext pack.

i dont really know much about ethernet hackintosh stuff

2.you need to put orangeiconfix in /Extra not /S/L/E

i dont know about that geekbench stuff either, but that doesnt sound to good...

its possible that it hasnt been properly written for 64-bit yet....

this article explains that the only real macs to use 64-bit mode are the Xserves:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=4712

...but it may be a little out of date.

2. Ahh /Extra... ok. i googled for THe KiNG OrangeIconFix.kext and found a post by him on a different forum where he stated that it were supposed to go in /S/L/E and if /Extra it needs to be in .mkext. i'll try the /extra folder. thank

About geekbench. when i ran the 32bit geekbench in i386 SL i got around 8400points. but i wonder why the 64bit gbench in 32bit SL gave higher score. i think its more that the 64bit gbench in 32bit SL displayed wrong result rather than the performance being reduced by 64bit gbench in 64bit SL.

Thanks for the files mate! i'll try it out and hopefully have sound.

Has anyone tried the X58A-UD5 board with i7 930 yet?

I'm fairly new at this but learning fast.. I have no sound from ALC 889 and Orange HD icons and will try one of the options above to enable multichannel audio.

Would any of the pre-built X58A-UD7 DSDT patches work with my board?

i changed the dsdt HDEF patch - it reduces the popping noise after wake from sleep. At boot its completely gone.

This is for layout id 12 - which is for my legacy alc889a kext. If your legacy kext needs different layout just change the layout id to your needs (alc889 or alc888).

Thanks, I updated post 1 with a link to your post.

Has anyone tried the X58A-UD5 board with i7 930 yet?

I'm fairly new at this but learning fast.. I have no sound from ALC 889 and Orange HD icons and will try one of the options above to enable multichannel audio.

Would any of the pre-built X58A-UD7 DSDT patches work with my board?

What GA-X58A-UD7 DSDT patches are you referring to?

I suggest you add a signature stating what you are working with.

I'm guessing that it's a GA-X58A-UD5 based on your first question.

If so, none of the audio solutions in post 1 will work for you.

Here's what I wrote;

14. Audio options A through D for the Realtek ALC889A used in the GA-EX58-UD4P, GA-EX58-UD5 and GA-EX58-EXTREME.

Not applicable to the Realtek ALC888 used in the GA-EX58-UD3R, GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI, GA-EX58-UD4 and GA-EX58-DS4, or the Realtek ALC889 used in the GA-X58A models.

I've done several Boot CDs & Retail Packs for EX58-UD4P and UD5 and I've tested the latest delta of 10.6.3...

It runs smoothly, even the new AppleHDA. The OpenGL drivers are way better, (+1000pts with my GTX275)

Only issue I've to report is the power-management is not fully working, but I'm looking into it. I'll keep you posted.

http://www.mediafire.com/MowgliBook

Btw, the Optiarc DVD RW AD-5240S does not prevent idle sleep.

Variable p-states definitely don't work with MacPro4,1 model, but do work with MacPro3,1. The usual tricks don't work (the plist is not updated with 10.6.3, but the bin rest of the kext is, and it works differently)

A new error is present in the logs...

kernel	ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::loadStepperProgram - pmCPUControl (PMIOCSETPSTATESTEPPER) failed, result = 0x4

What GA-X58A-UD7 DSDT patches are you referring to?

I suggest you add a signature stating what you are working with.

I'm guessing that it's a GA-X58A-UD5 based on your first question.

If so, none of the audio solutions in post 1 will work for you.

Here's what I wrote;

14. Audio options A through D for the Realtek ALC889A used in the GA-EX58-UD4P, GA-EX58-UD5 and GA-EX58-EXTREME.

Not applicable to the Realtek ALC888 used in the GA-EX58-UD3R, GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI, GA-EX58-UD4 and GA-EX58-DS4, or the Realtek ALC889 used in the GA-X58A models.

Point taken.

Thanks to dood and WinstonAce's posts I have enabled audio by editing the DSDT file I found for the X58A-UD7 board along with LegacyHDA enabler, this works fine on my X58A-UD5 now.

Needed to disable AppleTyMCEdriver as it KP'd on startup with it enabled which probably means there is something not quite right with the power management?

Anyway here's my patched DSDT.aml for the X58A-UD5 board if it helps.

dsdt.aml.zip

Point taken.

Needed to disable AppleTyMCEdriver as it KP'd on startup with it enabled which probably means there is something not quite right with the power management?

if you have the macpro 4.1 in your smbiosplist the os will load this kext to add some more features, but it panics on hacs. delete this kext or change the name in smbios

Point taken.

Thanks to dood and WinstonAce's posts I have enabled audio by editing the DSDT file I found for the X58A-UD7 board along with LegacyHDA enabler, this works fine on my X58A-UD5 now.

Anyway here's my patched DSDT.aml for the X58A-UD5 board if it helps.

dsdt.aml.zip

You shouldn't get a panic on AppleTyMCEDriver if you have enabled native power management in your DSDT.

See post 1, and item 9 in particular.

if you have the macpro 4.1 in your smbiosplist the os will load this kext to add some more features, but it panics on hacs. delete this kext or change the name in smbios
Having MacPro4,1 in your smbios doesn't cause any kexts to load, but if your MB isn't Nehalem based like the GA-X58A and GA-EX58, that kext will cause a panic.

Hey guys I have a bit of a noob question, hopefully its just a miss step on my part. When I got to modify my MacPro4_1.plist as d00d says after I modify the file and save it back to the proper location the kernel doesn't update as it says in the guide. When I manually force it to rebuild the cache (using DD's script) I get an error saying that the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext isn't installed correctly. Is this because of a sloppy save? I'm editing a copy of the .plist then moving it into the resources folder inside the kext. is that a proper way to apply the new plist? Sorry for the question, still a huge noob at all this.

You shouldn't get a panic on AppleTyMCEDriver if you have enabled native power management in your DSDT.

See post 1, and item 9 in particular.

Having MacPro4,1 in your smbios doesn't cause any kexts to load, but if your MB isn't Nehalem based like the GA-X58A and GA-EX58, that kext will cause a panic.

hmmm.... I´ve made a different experience on my Asus Z8NA (also X58 nehalem).

MacPro4,1 > trying to load AppleTyMCEDriver > panic

MacPro3,1 > no load of AppleTyMCEDriver > no panic

powermanagment should be working (AppleLPC and AppleHPET loaded with dsdt)

could you get more specific? could it be that some more details with powermanagment still have to be fixed?

EDIT: you´re right. I checked two different installs I´m using. both with same dsdt and 3,1 setting

1st is a proper snow leo install 10.6.2 that loads the AppleTyMCEDriver without problems

2nd is a migrated leo install that doesn´t load the AppleTyMCEDriver

but the first one still panics with 4,1 setting

Hey guys I have a bit of a noob question, hopefully its just a miss step on my part. When I got to modify my MacPro4_1.plist as d00d says after I modify the file and save it back to the proper location the kernel doesn't update as it says in the guide. When I manually force it to rebuild the cache (using DD's script) I get an error saying that the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext isn't installed correctly. Is this because of a sloppy save? I'm editing a copy of the .plist then moving it into the resources folder inside the kext. is that a proper way to apply the new plist? Sorry for the question, still a huge noob at all this.
I did it by moving my IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext to IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.orig, copied that to IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.MacPro3_1, edited it, and copied it back to Extensions as IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext;

[mac05:~] me% sudo -s

Password:

[mac05:~] root# cd /System/Library/

[mac05:/System/Library] root# mv Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.orig

[mac05:/System/Library] root# cp -r IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.orig IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.MacPro3_1

[mac05:/System/Library] root# vi IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.MacPro3_1/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/MacPro4_1.plist

[mac05:/System/Library] root# cp -r IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.MacPro3_1 Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

[mac05:/System/Library] root#

Make sure it has correct ownership;

[mac05:/System/Library] root# ls -al Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/

total 0

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Feb 11 19:25 .

drwxr-xr-x 212 root wheel 7208 Mar 6 18:55 ..

drwxr-xr-x 11 root wheel 374 Feb 11 19:25 Contents

If it doesn't, correct it;

[mac05:/System/Library] root# chown -R root:wheel Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

I did it by moving my IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext to IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.orig, copied that to IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.MacPro3_1, edited it, and copied it back to Extensions as IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext;

[mac05:~] me% sudo -s

Password:

[mac05:~] root# cd /System/Library/

[mac05:/System/Library] root# mv Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.orig

[mac05:/System/Library] root# cp -r IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.orig IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.MacPro3_1

[mac05:/System/Library] root# vi IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.MacPro3_1/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/MacPro4_1.plist

[mac05:/System/Library] root# cp -r IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.MacPro3_1 Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

Make sure it has correct ownership;

[mac05:/System/Library] root# ls -al Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/

total 0

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Feb 11 19:25 .

drwxr-xr-x 212 root wheel 7208 Mar 6 18:55 ..

drwxr-xr-x 11 root wheel 374 Feb 11 19:25 Contents

If it doesn't, correct it;

[mac05:/System/Library] root# chown -R root:wheel Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

Well the permissions were wrong, and everything seems to be going now awesome thanks d00d.

Hey guys,

I think there a really some issues with firewire!

I think its related to this error: "FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)"

After plug my audio interface (audiofire 4) I have higher CPU temps and higher voltages.

You can watch this in MSR tools.

Anyone with the same experiences?

Thanks for all your hard work guys!

Hey guys,

I think there a really some issues with firewire!

I think its related to this error: "FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)"

After plug my audio interface (audiofire 4) I have higher CPU temps and higher voltages.

You can watch this in MSR tools.

Anyone with the same experiences?

Thanks for all your hard work guys!

I just plugged a FW HDD in and my temperatures didn't change.

The AudioFire4 device has a software component, wouldn't that account for the increased CPU usage?

It may also be that if post 1, step 11 isn't done that the IRQ will float like x.di noted several pages back.

I assumed that since I didn't have this problem that it may be due to removing the two IRQs.

I just plugged a FW HDD in and my temperatures didn't change.

The AudioFire4 device has a software component, wouldn't that account for the increased CPU usage?

It may also be that if post 1, step 11 isn't done that the IRQ will float like x.di noted several pages back.

I assumed that since I didn't have this problem that it may be due to removing the two IRQs.

No it does not have a software component running!

You are right I plugged a FW HDD too but the HDD has external power connection!

The audiofire 4 is bus-powered!

It't not only the higher temps...

In MSR tools you can watch the higher frequencies(105% all the time).

Speedstep doesn't work anymore!

dOOd, I am using your modified DSDT!

@ x.di

How can I disable the USB2 EHCI Controller?

I don't understand the explication from "The King".

No it does not have a software component running!

You are right I plugged a FW HDD too but the HDD has external power connection!

The audiofire 4 is bus-powered!

It't not only the higher temps...

In MSR tools you can watch the higher frequencies(105% all the time).

Speedstep doesn't work anymore!

dOOd, I am using your modified DSDT!

@ x.di

My FW HDD is buss powered.

If you run `top -ocpu' in Terminal, what is using CPU?

Hi dood,

first of all, here's my setup:

GA-EX58-UD5

i7 920

audio: presonus firebox.

(i don't use the mobo audio ports, so no audio kexts or audio-enabling-via-dsdt necessary.)

main hdd: highpoint RocketRaid 4322, with RAID 10, 4x 500GB SATA drives = logically 1TB RAID drive.

(this, my main hdd, works without any kexts, since the raid controller is supported by snow leo.)

timemachine hdd: 1tb sata hdd, on ICH10 controller.

(the orange icon is fine with me - since i like it being hot swappable.)

I've read through your original post, and I have some questions.

1. I want all 6 of my memory slots! how should i deviate from your post to achieve this?

2. I want to keep my orange icons, and my drives already show up as ICH10 in System Pref.

Do I still need to do the modification in the original post pertaining to the HDDs?

Also, where it says "device-id", do i literally type "device-id"? I feel like I should type in the device ID for ICH-10. (Which I don't know.)

The device-id should be one that's in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLPC.kext/Contents/Info.plist (<string>pci8086,3a18</string>).

this one is talking about the AppleLPC.kext, not the IDE part.

3. The CPU part, for "C1E and C3/C6/C7 States enabled" -- is it necessary? I have these options disabled.

4. My firewire is weird -- when I have the iSight and firepod connected at the same time, the firepod connection is screwed and my system hangs for a few seconds every time it tries to play a sound. Without the iSight the firepod is solid. Do you think the DSDT file could fix this?

I know it's a lot of questions. Thanks in advance!

-R

Hi dood,

first of all, here's my setup:

GA-EX58-UD5

i7 920

audio: presonus firebox.

(i don't use the mobo audio ports, so no audio kexts or audio-enabling-via-dsdt necessary.)

main hdd: highpoint RocketRaid 4322, with RAID 10, 4x 500GB SATA drives = logically 1TB RAID drive.

(this, my main hdd, works without any kexts, since the raid controller is supported by snow leo.)

timemachine hdd: 1tb sata hdd, on ICH10 controller.

(the orange icon is fine with me - since i like it being hot swappable.)

I've read through your original post, and I have some questions.

1. I want all 6 of my memory slots! how should i deviate from your post to achieve this?

2. I want to keep my orange icons, and my drives already show up as ICH10 in System Pref.

Do I still need to do the modification in the original post pertaining to the HDDs?

Also, where it says "device-id", do i literally type "device-id"? I feel like I should type in the device ID for ICH-10. (Which I don't know.)

this one is talking about the AppleLPC.kext, not the IDE part.

3. The CPU part, for "C1E and C3/C6/C7 States enabled" -- is it necessary? I have these options disabled.

4. My firewire is weird -- when I have the iSight and firepod connected at the same time, the firepod connection is screwed and my system hangs for a few seconds every time it tries to play a sound. Without the iSight the firepod is solid. Do you think the DSDT file could fix this?

I know it's a lot of questions. Thanks in advance!

-R

1. I don't know what you mean, please explain.

2. Do 8 to show correctly as Intel ICH10 AHCI and have the eject arrows.

Don't use OrangeIconFix.kext if you want them to be orange.

I don't know what you mean by literally typing `device-id', you would add the code block that includes the `0x22, 0x3A' device-id value where the instructions say to.

3. Do 5 and you have enabled CStates.

If you don't do 5 and you want CStates, then enable C1E/C3/C6/C7 in BIOS, but this will work only up to 2.96 GHz.

4. Maybe someone else can comment, I don't have any FW problems.

8 is to solve the audio stuttering problem, if that's what you are describing.

@ x.di

Ok.Time to shed some light. ;)

You don't need to disable USB2 EHCI Controller.

IT works fine . My problem with USB was causing by my Wacom Tablet...

After waking Wacom driver causes graphic lag. duno why. And I need to replug my Wacom to fix it or

disable USB2 EHCI Controller and there is no lag and no need to replug Wacom.

So don't touch USB2 EHCI. That is not your case.

And for FireWire :

1. Real fix for hotplug and power conservation (if you have higher CPU temps and higher voltages with plugged FW device or don't have hotplug)

post #579

2. Don't install AudioUpdate for mac pro 4.1 from Apple ... That update fix one lag and addes new one (high pitch noises for FW audio devices and sound assertion for Digital In) -> :)

That's funny

Ok.Time to shed some light. :(

You don't need to disable USB2 EHCI Controller.

IT works fine . My problem with USB was causing by my Wacom Tablet...

After waking Wacom driver causes graphic lag. duno why. And I need to replug my Wacom to fix it or

disable USB2 EHCI Controller and there is no lag and no need to replug Wacom.

So don't touch USB2 EHCI. That is not your case.

And for FireWire :

1. Real fix for hotplug and power conservation (if you have higher CPU temps and higher voltages with plugged FW device)

In Scope (_GPE) add this

Method (_L1A, 0, NotSerialized) // this is for FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)

{

Notify (\_SB.PCI0.HUB0.FRWR, Zero)

Notify (\_SB.PWRB, 0x02)

}

and in Device (HUB0) add this

// this is for HotPlug

Device (FRWR)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x0006FFFF) //you must find your address in ioreg

Name (_GPE, 0x1A)

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x04)

{

"fwports",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x03, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

"fwswappedbib",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

}

2. Don't install AudioUpdate for mac pro 4.1 from Apple ... That update fix one lag and addes new one (high pitch noises for FW audio devices and sound assertion for Digital In) -> :(

That's funny

AudioUpdate is a temporal fix from Apple. DO NOT INSTALL THAT {censored}!

All this must fix hotplug.

Thanks for your help!

The error about power conservation is gone but hotplug doesn't work anymore!

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

The error about power conservation is gone but hotplug doesn't work anymore!

Any ideas?

give me your IOreg and I wil look what is wrong :(

You can save it with IORegistryExplorer.app