You can use the following with C2RC4 in com.apple.Boot.plist;

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

...or the following with ABLN1.1.x;

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

Here's a DSDT modification for a different Nvidia GPU on a different MB (post 1689), but I'm not sure it's possible with the GA-EX58 and GA-X58A;

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...518&st=1688

No dice on all three for me. I'll just stick with EFI strings for now i suppose.

Hi dood! put the update, the sound disappeared

I see you have ALC888. Are you using an audio kext? AppleHDA or Legacy? Did you apply a sound DSDT patch?

I applied the update too with patched AppleHDA and sound returned for me after I rebuilt my boot cache and restarted.

Ryan!

I use Legacy RealtekALC888.kext

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x04)
                       {
                           "layout-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (Zero) {}
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }

{
                   Store (Package (0x04)
                       {
                           "layout-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (Zero) {}
                       }, Local0)
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }

Did that work for you before the update? That code is really designed for ALC889A. Use the dsdt code Callumj09 posted a few posts back with the kext in extra, or you can use AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E from here:

http://www.kexts.com/view/147-acl888_hd_audio.html

Ryan!

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }

{
                   Store (Package (0x04)
                       {
                           "layout-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (Zero) {}
                       }, Local0)
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }

If your signature is accurate that you have a GA-EX58-UD4(P), then you have an ALC889A, and by using layout-id 12 (0x0C) you would need to use ALC889a.kext.

Are you saying that the `Mac Pro Audio Update' broke this?

I have the same ALC889A with layout-id 12 and ALC889a.kext, and the update didn't cause a problem.

No dice on all three for me. I'll just stick with EFI strings for now i suppose.
That's odd, it's supported;

[mac05:~] me% grep -i "geforce 9600 gt" /Users/me/Downloads/mac05/Chameleon/Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-src/i386/*/*

/Users/me/Downloads/mac05/Chameleon/Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-src/i386/libsaio/nvidia.c: { 0x10DE0622, "GeForce 9600 GT" },

[mac05:~] me%

I need help.

It sucks being such a n00b, but what can I do? :D

I have a GA-EX58-UD5 with the i7 920 and I don't know where to start.

My plan was to just use the attached DSDT_GA_EX58_UD5_F9m_S3_920_W3520_v2.zip but when I replace the DSDT.aml I had perviously with the one found in that d00d's attachment Mac OS X gets stuck in the boot process. Or once I came the desktop, but as soon as I moved the mouse everything got locked up.

Is it important that the DSDT.aml has the right permissons (i.e. is executable)?

Many questions...

I really don't feel like doing a DSDT.aml from scratch �€“ I feel I don't have the knowledge to manage that at this moment.

Edit:

OK, I've been fiddling some more and now boot locks up at �€�AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=1�€�

What can be wrong?

Edit again:

Now I've managed to get back into the desktop. Put back the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and boot is fine. I was under the impression that I could remove that kext after doing the changes to the DSDT?

Anyway, I still don't have any audio even if I've added the ALC889a.kext.

Even the external FireWire audio card I have isn't recognized. Do I need LegacyHDA.kext?

A few more things I was thinking about: which DSDT.aml file is it that gets used if I have one both in /Extra and one in /Library/DSDT/DSDTFiles?

Also I see there's one com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra but also one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration.

Which file am I supposed to edit?

d00d thankyou for all your DSDT edits, I'm successfully running Snow leopard 10.6.2 with just fakesmc and orangeiconfix in my extra's folder.

one thing i couldn't change is the SMC key inside my fakesmc plist or my OS would not boot and just pause on the SMC line. But apart from that everything is working for me, not needing certain kext's is awsome and i can update my OS whenever i want without anything breaking as it's Totally Vanilla.

The Mac Pro Audio Update will break sound for all chipsets other than alc889a. The upcoming 10.6.3 will break it too. Apple hardcoded device ids in AppleHDA. There are 2 solutions yet. Either use 10.6.2 AppleHDA or binpatch the new one. If you have ALC889a you are safe with dsdt patch and my legacy kext. For all others back up AppleHDA.kext and after applying the update replace AppleHDA with the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.

I attach my kexts i have in Extra/Extensions. The ionetworkingfamily.kext has the Realtekr1000SL as plugin and is modified that it overwrites ionetworkingfamily.kext in /S/L/E even if Apple pumps up the version, my alc889a_v2 has the builtin part removed and the fakesmc is already modded.

If you have modded the macpro4.1.plist in ioplatformpluginfamily.kext (ACPI_SMC_PlatfromPlugin.kext) save it before updating Mac Pro Audio Update. This update also updates ioplatformfamilyplugin.kext.

aschar_Kexts.zip

The Mac Pro Audio Update will break sound for all chipsets other than alc889a. The upcoming 10.6.3 will break it too. Apple hardcoded device ids in AppleHDA. There are 2 solutions yet. Either use 10.6.2 AppleHDA or binpatch the new one. If you have ALC889a you are safe with dsdt patch and my legacy kext. For all others back up AppleHDA.kext and after applying the update replace AppleHDA with the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.

I attach my kexts i have in Extra/Extensions. The ionetworkingfamily.kext has the Realtekr1000SL as plugin and is modified that it overwrites ionetworkingfamily.kext in /S/L/E even if Apple pumps up the version, my alc889a_v2 has the builtin part removed and the fakesmc is already modded.

If you have modded the macpro4.1.plist in ioplatformpluginfamily.kext (ACPI_SMC_PlatfromPlugin.kext) save it before updating Mac Pro Audio Update. This update also updates ioplatformfamilyplugin.kext.

I installed the ALC889a_v2.kext from your attached kext collection, but still ”No output devices found” in Sound preferences. :(

What is missing/wrong?

Thanks for helping!

New sound assertion message seen in 10.6.2's kernel.log;

kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pciVendorProductID" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 2682 goto Exit

Fix by removing the BuiltInHDA key section from ALC889a.kext/Contents/Info.plist.

Thanks to tmongkol for this fix.

d00d -- can you insert a before and after shot of this (removing BuiltInHDA key section) as with the rest of your code changes?

Also, I downloaded and opened your posted DSDT file to compare with mine (UD4P) and I do not see the CPU changes listed in step #5. Has step #5 been modified or since been made obsolete by a later BIOS from GigaByte? Just point me to the thread # if I missed this.

Thanks for a great guide. I'm running i7 920 on a Gigabyte EX58-UD4P and am down to a few small tweaks in 10.6.2 to get everything perfect.

Thanks.

Thanks, the only difference between the GA-X58A-UD7 (S3 sleep) dsdt.dsl I was given and your GA-X58A-UD3R (S1 sleep) dsdt.dsl, besides the sleep differences,

I understand S1 sleep shuts down the CPU and that S3 sleep shuts down the CPU but also commits context information to RAM. Therefore S3 sleep uses less parasitic draw then S1 sleep.

What significance is there between S1 and S3 sleep on a hackintosh? Is one better then another? Does one work more reliably then the other? Does waking from sleep with bluetooth devices work differently between the two states?

I am in the market for a motherboard and am leaning towards the GA-X58A-UD3R but with enough good reason I could change my mind to the GA-X58A-UD7.

Thanks.

Edit again:

Now I've managed to get back into the desktop. Put back the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and boot is fine. I was under the impression that I could remove that kext after doing the changes to the DSDT?

Anyway, I still don't have any audio even if I've added the ALC889a.kext.

Even the external FireWire audio card I have isn't recognized. Do I need LegacyHDA.kext?

A few more things I was thinking about: which DSDT.aml file is it that gets used if I have one both in /Extra and one in /Library/DSDT/DSDTFiles?

Also I see there's one com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra but also one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration.

Which file am I supposed to edit?

Looks like the DSDT.aml isn't loading, that's why you still need NCPM.

It just has to have read permissions;

[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# ls -al /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Extra/DSDT.aml

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 18297 Feb 14 21:00 /Volumes/Boot OSX/Extra/DSDT.aml

[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root#

I'm not sure what boot loader you're using (it would help to add a signature), but Extra should take preference over the other two you listed if you're using Chameleon.

Thanks, that's good to know.

d00d -- can you insert a before and after shot of this (removing BuiltInHDA key section) as with the rest of your code changes?

Also, I downloaded and opened your posted DSDT file to compare with mine (UD4P) and I do not see the CPU changes listed in step #5. Has step #5 been modified or since been made obsolete by a later BIOS from GigaByte? Just point me to the thread # if I missed this.

Thanks for a great guide. I'm running i7 920 on a Gigabyte EX58-UD4P and am down to a few small tweaks in 10.6.2 to get everything perfect.

Thanks.

aschar1 posted his updated ALC889a.kext two posts back, and you probably downloaded the unmodified dsdt.dsl instead.

I understand S1 sleep shuts down the CPU and that S3 sleep shuts down the CPU but also commits context information to RAM. Therefore S3 sleep uses less parasitic draw then S1 sleep.

What significance is there between S1 and S3 sleep on a hackintosh? Is one better then another? Does one work more reliably then the other? Does waking from sleep with bluetooth devices work differently between the two states?

I am in the market for a motherboard and am leaning towards the GA-X58A-UD3R but with enough good reason I could change my mind to the GA-X58A-UD7.

Thanks.

Either S1 or S3 sleep work fine.

I don't use bluetooth, but others have commented in this topic.

All GA-X58A and GA-EX58 MBs can be set in the BIOS to do either S1 or S3, and the sleep state will be reflected in the dsdt derived from it.

Either S1 or S3 sleep work fine.

I don't use bluetooth, but others have commented in this topic.

All GA-X58A and GA-EX58 MBs can be set in the BIOS to do either S1 or S3, and the sleep state will be reflected in the dsdt derived from it.

Thank you for the response. With your comment I am sticking with my plan to buy the GA-X58A-UD3R.

Guys we need your help!

Prasys and i am trying to use fakesmc to inject more keys. this could help to get thermal management, fans, thermal sensors working. If you have access to a real Macpro4.1 single cpu (Macpro model early 2009) it would be very kind if you download the following kext:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/757495/AppleSMCKeys.kext.take6b.zip

place it in your desktop (on the Macpro)

fire up Terminal

type

cd Desktop

sudo chmod -R 755 *.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel *.kext

sudo kextload AppleSMCKeys.kext

open up Console

You'll see a list of applesmc keys

copy all the keys , and paste it to pastie.org and publish the link here.

You can contact me at irc chat.osx86.hu #snowleopard channel

My nickname is aschar there

Guys we need your help!

Prasys and i am trying to use fakesmc to inject more keys. this could help to get thermal management, fans, thermal sensors working. If you have access to a real Macpro4.1 single cpu (Macpro model early 2009) it would be very kind if you download the following kext:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/757495/AppleSMCKeys.kext.take6b.zip

place it in your desktop (on the Macpro)

fire up Terminal

type

cd Desktop

sudo chmod -R 755 *.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel *.kext

sudo kextload AppleSMCKeys.kext

open up Console

You'll see a list of applesmc keys

copy all the keys , and paste it to pastie.org and publish the link here.

You can contact me at irc chat.osx86.hu #snowleopard channel

My nickname is aschar there

This is a worthwhile project, I have DIMMs with thermal sensors that I'd like to be able to read.

Someone with an Apple hardware MacPro4,1 at forums.macrumors.com may want to help if you ask.

i am currently modding the IOPlatformPlugin to downclock my CPU when idle. Do i have to include the long string between data too?

<key>PLimitDict</key>
         <dict>
           <key>MacPro3,1</key>
           <integer>0</integer>
         </dict>
         <key>StepDataDict</key>
         <dict>
           <key>MacPro3,1</key>
           <string>SP1</string>
           <key>SP1</key>
           <data>
                           6gQAAAEAAAIJAAD/DwAA
                           Cw0AAP8PAAALDQAA/w8A
                           AAsNAAD/DwAACw0AAP8P
                           AAALDQAA/w8AAAsNAAD/
                           DwAACw0AAP8PAAALDQAA
                           /w8AAAsNAAD/DwAACw0A
                           AP8PAAALDQAA/w8AAAsN
                           AAD/DwAACw0AAP8PAAAL
                           DQAA/w8AAAsNAAD/DwAA
                           Cw0AAP8PAAALDQAA/w8A
                           AAsNAAD/DwAACw0AAP8P
                           AAALDQAA/w8AAAsNAAD/
                           DwAACw0AAP8PAAALDQAA
                           /w8AAAsNAAD/DwAACw0A
                           AP8PAAALDQAA/w8AAAsN
                           AAD/DwAACw0AAP8PAAAL
                           DQAA/w8AAAsNAAD/DwAA
                           Cw0AAP8PAAALDQAA/w8A
                           AAsNAAD/DwAACw0AAP8P
                           AAALDQAA/w8AAAsNAAD/
                           DwAACw0AAP8PAAALDQAA
                           /w8AAAsNAAD/DwAACw0A
                           AP8PAAALDQAA/w8AAAsN
                           AAD/DwAACw0AAP8PAAAL
                           DQAA/w8AAAsNAAD/DwAA
                           Cw0AAP8PAAALDQAA/w8A
                           AAsNAAD/DwAACw0AAP8P
                           AAALDQAA/w8AAAsNAAD/
                           DwAACw0AAP8PAAALDQAA
                           /w8AAAsNAAD/DwAACw0A
                           AP8PAAALDQAA/w8AAAsN
                           AAD/DwAACw0AAP8PAAAL
                           DQAA/w8AAAsNAAD/DwAA
                           Cw0AAP8PAAALDQAA/w8A
                           AAsNAAD/DwAACwgAABUA
                           AAAUAAAAAQoAAAEAAAAB
                           AAAA9QABDQAAAQAABf8A
                           AQAAAAEAAAABBgAAAgAA
                           AAQCAACsANMAfQDWAMMA
                           KwcAAAIAAAABAAAAAQAA
                           AAIAAAACAgAAAgYAAAEA
                           AAABAAAA9QABDQAAAwAA
                           Bf8AAwIAAAMGAAACAAAA
                           BAAAAOAAyAAQDAAABQAA
                           AAQAAAAFAAAABAAAAAMA
                           AAABAAAABAYAAAIAAAAE
                           AQAACQA9DAAAAwQAAAUA
                           AAAEAgAABQYAAAEAAAAB
                           AAAA6AADDQAABgAABf8A
                           BQIAAAYGAAACAAAABAAA
                           AEAAQgAPDAAACAAAAAcA
                           AAAIAAAABwAAAAUAAAAB
                           AAAABwYAAAIAAAAEAQAA
                           CQA9DAAABgQAAAgAAAAG
                           AgAACAYAAAEAAAABAAAA
                           6AADDQAACQAABf8ABwIA
                           AAkGAAACAAAABAAAAMAA
                           zwBqDAAACwAAAAoAAAAL
                           AAAACgAAAAcAAAABAAAA
                           CgYAAAIAAAAEAQAACQA9
                           DAAACQQAAAsAAAAIAgAA
                           CwYAAAEAAAABAAAA6AAD
                           DQAADAAABf8ACQIAAAwG
                           AAACAAAABAAAAGAAGAAj
                           DAAADgAAAA0AAAAOAAAA
                           DQAAAAkAAAABAAAADQYA
                           AAIAAAAEAQAACQA9DAAA
                           DAQAAA4AAAAKAgAADgYA
                           AAEAAAABAAAA6AADDQAA
                           DwAABf8ACwIAAA8GAAAC
                           AAAABAAAAEAArAAnDAAA
                           EQAAABAAAAARAAAAEAAA
                           AAsAAAABAAAAEAYAAAIA
                           AAAEAQAACQA9DAAADwQA
                           ABEAAAAMAgAAEQYAAAEA
                           AAABAAAA9AABDQAAEgAA
                           Bf8ADQIAABIGAAACAAAA
                           BAIAAKwA0wB9ANYAwwAr
                           BwAAEgAAABMAAAASAAAA
                           EwAAAA0AAAABAAAAEwYA
                           AAIAAAAEAQAACQA9DAAA
                           EgQAABQAAAAOAgAAFAYA
                           AAIAAAAEAAAAoACGAAEM
                           AAACAAAAAgAAAAIAAAAC
                           AAA=
</data>
</dict>

Someone you have the answer would have the kindness to answer please? Thank you.

-------------

"Idle temperature comparison;

Idle CPU temperatures at 4.3 GHz (turbo disabled) and 19 C ambient; 42-46 C

Idle CPU temperatures at 4.3 GHz (turbo disabled) with a modified MacPro4_1.plist, and 19 C ambient; 42-46 C"

If i understand well, with speedstep enabled, the temperatures are the same? :blink:

Someone you have the answer would have the kindness to answer please? Thank you.

-------------

"Idle temperature comparison;

Idle CPU temperatures at 4.3 GHz (turbo disabled) and 19 C ambient; 42-46 C

Idle CPU temperatures at 4.3 GHz (turbo disabled) with a modified MacPro4_1.plist, and 19 C ambient; 42-46 C"

If i understand well, with speedstep enabled, the temperatures are the same? :P

Yes, the instructions say to add the PLimitDict and StepDataDict sections.

You didn't reference the third line where it shows that also enabling DVID reduces temperatures.

Looks like the DSDT.aml isn't loading, that's why you still need NCPM.

It just has to have read permissions;

[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# ls -al /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Extra/DSDT.aml

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 18297 Feb 14 21:00 /Volumes/Boot OSX/Extra/DSDT.aml

[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root#

I'm not sure what boot loader you're using (it would help to add a signature), but Extra should take preference over the other two you listed if you're using Chameleon.

Dear d00d,

Thank you so much for your reply! ;)

I guess that also explains why I can't get audio to work either (if the DSDT.aml isn't loading).

I'll check the permissions.

I like your avatar by the way. ;)

Edit:

Is there a way to see if the DSDT.aml is loading?

I'm running Chameleon 2.0 RC4 so I guess it's the DSDT.aml in /Extra that counts. Can I remove the ones I have in /Library/DSDTfiles?

(Will add a signature later)

Yes, the instructions say to add the PLimitDict and StepDataDict sections.

You didn't reference the third line where it shows that also enabling DVID reduces temperatures.

Thank you. Yes i did not mentioned it because it's a native feature of the gigabyte motherboard which interact with the voltages. :(

When booting things stop at �€�systemShutdown false�€� is at the bottom of the screen.

What is wrong?

Think I saw someone with the same problem in this thread, but I can't find the post.

OK, forget the above - I'm having some stability issues with my machine (probably bad RAM or something) so it locked up because of that.

Anyway, still no luck with audio. And I also haven't dared to remove ”NullCPUPowerManagement.kext” bacuse I'm afraid the DSDT.aml isn't loading and I currently don't have a second drive to boot Mac OS X when things go wrong witch means I have to open up the case every time connect the drive to my MacBook Pro. :(

How can I be sure that the DSDT.aml is used correctly when booting?

When booting things stop at �€�systemShutdown false�€� is at the bottom of the screen.

What is wrong?

Think I saw someone with the same problem in this thread, but I can't find the post.

OK, forget the above - I'm having some stability issues with my machine (probably bad RAM or something) so it locked up because of that.

Anyway, still no luck with audio. And I also haven't dared to remove ”NullCPUPowerManagement.kext” bacuse I'm afraid the DSDT.aml isn't loading and I currently don't have a second drive to boot Mac OS X when things go wrong witch means I have to open up the case every time connect the drive to my MacBook Pro. ;)

How can I be sure that the DSDT.aml is used correctly when booting?

The CMOS doesn't reset at reboot, AppleLPC.kext, AppleHPET.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient kexts load (System Profiler:Extensions), your power button can sleep the computer, CStates are seen above 2.96 GHz (IORegistryExplorer:IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/CPU0@0/AppleACPICPU/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin/CSTInfo/0x1240105), etcetera.

D00d,

Thanks for the information. I am running an ex58-ud3r Rev 1.6 bios version FF and after using your information I just removed NullCPUPowerManagement and it is working fine.

Feb 19 22:51:08 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios 1112

Feb 19 22:51:08 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete

I do have a couple error messages that I am curious about. What do these messages mean?

Feb 19 22:51:21 Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed

Feb 19 22:51:21: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Feb 19 22:51:21 Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

One other thing, I have an unmodified dsdt.dsl for bios ff but when I tried to attach it, it told me you are not permitted to upload this type of file. Where can I upload it to?