GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

Hi dood, I don't have a Gigabyte X58 based board, but instead an Asus one and I have a question if you don't mind. :)

Why are we using PLimitDict and StepDataDict sections form MacPro3_1.plist as it uses Woodcrest (not Nehalem ) processors and don't we use instead the information contained in the iMac11_1.plist that also has a Core i7 based CPU?

Also can we use the GPU related sections in any way? do we benefit from it? (from this or any other plist there)

Thanks

D00d,

Thanks for the information. I am running an ex58-ud3r Rev 1.6 bios version FF and after using your information I just removed NullCPUPowerManagement and it is working fine.

Feb 19 22:51:08 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios 1112

Feb 19 22:51:08 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete

I do have a couple error messages that I am curious about. What do these messages mean?

Feb 19 22:51:21 Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed

Feb 19 22:51:21: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Feb 19 22:51:21 Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

One other thing, I have an unmodified dsdt.dsl for bios ff but when I tried to attach it, it told me you are not permitted to upload this type of file. Where can I upload it to?

You would get those errors if you're clocked over 2.96 GHz and didn't do modification 5.

Compress the file into a zip to be able to attach.

Hi dood, I don't have a Gigabyte X58 based board, but instead an Asus one and I have a question if you don't mind. :|

Why are we using PLimitDict and StepDataDict sections form MacPro3_1.plist as it uses Woodcrest (not Nehalem ) processors and don't we use instead the information contained in the iMac11_1.plist that also has a Core i7 based CPU?

Also can we use the GPU related sections in any way? do we benefit from it? (from this or any other plist there)

Thanks

Because one works and the other doesn't.

Try the sections from iMac11_1.plist and you'll get;

Jan 17 18:59:33 mac05 kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::loadStepperProgram - pmCPUControl (PMIOCSETPSTATESTEPPER) failed, result = 0x4

I haven't experimented with the GPU sections.

Because one works and the other doesn't.

Try the sections from iMac11_1.plist and you'll get;

Jan 17 18:59:33 mac05 kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::loadStepperProgram - pmCPUControl (PMIOCSETPSTATESTEPPER) failed, result = 0x4

I haven't experimented with the GPU sections.

Haha yes I tried it a few minutes ago, with iMac11,1 it doesn't work.

I can tell you that with my Asus X58 based board it's the same as yours, SpeedStep only works when copying those missing sections from the MacPro3,1 plist to the 4,1 one, but the bad thing is that even as Asus had an Auto VCORE in BIOS since day one it doesn't work in the same way yours Gigabyte board does, it even rises the temperatures more, ;) so the best thing is setting the VCORE manually but it doesn't affect temperatures as you explained in your first post of this thread.

The CMOS doesn't reset at reboot, AppleLPC.kext, AppleHPET.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient kexts load (System Profiler:Extensions), your power button can sleep the computer, CStates are seen above 2.96 GHz (IORegistryExplorer:IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/CPU0@0/AppleACPICPU/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin/CSTInfo/0x1240105), etcetera.

The extensions seem to load and it works fine to sleep the computer using the power button!

So what the heck is missing when it comes to the audio? Is the problem that I've installed all the kexts in /S/L/E instead of /E? Should that matter?

I'll try and see if I can remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and still start up - should work since the DSDT.aml seems to be read in correctly, right?

Edit:

Removing the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext didn't work. So it seems I have a semi-functional DSDT.aml... ;)

Altight! I can boot without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext now - it seems I'd forgot to do step 6 in the com.apple.boot.plist.

Anyway - still no audio! ;)

I don't understand what the problem is.

What can be wrong? I mean, I should have the correct DSDT.aml since it's the one I downloaded from d00d's first post. Shouldn't the ALC889a.kext be all I need then?

I noticed I got this in the logs at boot:

2010-02-22 00.56.24 com.apple.kextd[10] AppleHDA.kext - no dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily.

2010-02-22 00.56.24 com.apple.kextd[10] Can't load AppleHDA.kext - failed to resolve dependencies.

2010-02-22 00.56.24 com.apple.kextd[10] Failed to load AppleHDA.kext - (libkern/kext) dependency resolution failure.

2010-02-22 00.56.24 com.apple.kextd[10] Load com.apple.driver.AppleHDA failed; removing personalities.

2010-02-22 01.01.06 com.apple.kextcache[204] AppleHDA.kext - no dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily.

2010-02-22 01.01.07 com.apple.kextcache[204] AppleHDA.kext - no dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily.

2010-02-22 01.01.07 com.apple.kextcache[204] Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.AppleHDA; omitting from prelinked kernel.

Anything to worry about?

It's odd though, I am not overclocked. I'll do modification 5 and see what happens.

Hmm, this is your dsl file, how did you compile it to get your .aml file? I get 2 errors when I try

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20090730 [Aug 12 2009]
Copyright © 2000 - 2009 Intel Corporation
Supports ACPI Specification Revision 4.0

/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl   233:     Method (\_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)
Warning  1080 -                                     Reserved method must return a value ^  (_WAK)

/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl   291:             Store (Local0, Local0)
Error    4050 -                                        Method local variable is not initialized ^  (Local0)

/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl   296:             Store (Local0, Local0)
Error    4050 -                                        Method local variable is not initialized ^  (Local0)

ASL Input:  /Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl - 5613 lines, 181705 bytes, 2217 keywords
Compilation complete. 2 Errors, 1 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 721 Optimizations

Silly question, I assume you did compile it? :D

Hmm, this is your dsl file, how did you compile it to get your .aml file? I get 2 errors when I try

ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20090730 [Aug 12 2009]
Copyright © 2000 - 2009 Intel Corporation
Supports ACPI Specification Revision 4.0

/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl   233:     Method (\_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)
Warning  1080 -                                     Reserved method must return a value ^  (_WAK)

/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl   291:             Store (Local0, Local0)

/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl   296:             Store (Local0, Local0)

ASL Input:  /Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl - 5613 lines, 181705 bytes, 2217 keywords
Compilation complete. 2 Errors, 1 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 721 Optimizations

Silly question, I assume you did compile it? ;)

That was the non edited dsdt.dsl that I extracted from the unmodified dsdt.aml. I uploaded it because D00d wanted an unmodified dsdt.dsl for a Revision 1.6 ex58-ud3r. My edited one compiles fine.

bios_FF$ ../DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e/Tools/iasl dsdt.dsl.edited

ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20080926 [Oct 4 2008]

Copyright © 2000 - 2008 Intel Corporation

Supports ACPI Specification Revision 3.0a

ASL Input: dsdt.dsl.edited - 5976 lines, 193015 bytes, 2263 keywords

AML Output: dsdt.aml - 18902 bytes, 669 named objects, 1594 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 751 Optimizations

Btw, D00d, after I put in the cpu modifications in step 5, I no longer have the errors I had earlier.

Hello D00d,

Thanks for your help. I put the changes to mod 5 that you suggest I do yesterday. The cpu is working, the temp is fine. I am having one issue, though. My sound is stuttering now where it wasn't before. Any idea why the stuttering is occurring? I have an ex58-ud3r Rev 1.6 with an ALC888.

Thanks again

Hello D00d,

Thanks for your help. I put the changes to mod 5 that you suggest I do yesterday. The cpu is working, the temp is fine. I am having one issue, though. My sound is stuttering now where it wasn't before. Any idea why the stuttering is occurring? I have an ex58-ud3r Rev 1.6 with an ALC888.

Thanks again

Well, I put the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext back and the stuttering went away. I don't see any performance difference either way. I'll just, stick with the extra kext and sound.

Thanks again

Well, I put the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext back and the stuttering went away. I don't see any performance difference either way. I'll just, stick with the extra kext and sound.

Thanks again

Did you do 11?

What can be wrong? I mean, I should have the correct DSDT.aml since it's the one I downloaded from d00d's first post. Shouldn't the ALC889a.kext be all I need then?

2010-02-22 00.56.24 com.apple.kextd[10] AppleHDA.kext - no dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily.

2010-02-22 00.56.24 com.apple.kextd[10] Can't load AppleHDA.kext - failed to resolve dependencies.

2010-02-22 00.56.24 com.apple.kextd[10] Failed to load AppleHDA.kext - (libkern/kext) dependency resolution failure.

2010-02-22 00.56.24 com.apple.kextd[10] Load com.apple.driver.AppleHDA failed; removing personalities.

2010-02-22 01.01.06 com.apple.kextcache[204] AppleHDA.kext - no dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily.

2010-02-22 01.01.07 com.apple.kextcache[204] AppleHDA.kext - no dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily.

2010-02-22 01.01.07 com.apple.kextcache[204] Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.AppleHDA; omitting from prelinked kernel.

Anything to worry about?

Yes, 14B and ALC889a.kext is all you need for audio.

Do you have an AppleHDA.kext in Extra/Extensions.mkext?

If so, remove it.

If not, is IOAudioFamily.kext missing from SLE?

Yes, 14B and ALC889a.kext is all you need for audio.

Do you have an AppleHDA.kext in Extra/Extensions.mkext?

If so, remove it.

If not, is IOAudioFamily.kext missing from SLE?

I'll check these things when I get back home (at work now).

Here comes a follow-up question: how can I see what I have in Extensions.mkext? I've noticed I cannot do a right-click an ”Show Package Contents” like on the kexts.

Another thing that started to happen yesterday: I have one drive for Mac OS X and one drive for Windows 7 and now when I boot Chameleon doesn't seem to kick in but Windows starts instead. If I disconnect the Windows drive I get into Chameleon and can select the drive I wan't to boot from (in this case only Mac OS X since it's the only one available).

What can the reason for this be?

I guess a re-install of Chameleon might do the trick – will try that.

Thanks a lot for helping!

I'll happily give a donation to you d00d when I get my salary on the 25th!

You have a PayPal account or something so I can send you a little beer money? (or whatever-money if you don't like beer) :)

There are so many super smart people on this forum. Thanks for the great tutorials. After reading for a while, I decided to bite the bullet and build a hack pro. I went through the information I found on this forum, and decided to purchase the UD5 mobo. I'll post a full write up on the build (plus I video taped the whole thing if anyone is interested). There's just one problem that I can't resolve, and it looks so similar to many of the questions posted here. I can't get the Audio Out on the mobo to work. I'm seeing devices under system profiler, but nothing under Sound in sys prefs. Here's what I did:

Hardware profile: GA X58A-UD5 + i7 920

1. I followed the instructions on http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=204010 to do the install.

2. I upgraded to 10.6.2 using Combo updater

3. I moved RealtekR1000SL.kext from Extra to System to get ethernet working.

Here are all the things I tried, but the audio still does not work:

4. Tried using the HDAEnabler.kext and LegacyHDA.kext from the stock X58_Mobo_Patch_Installer

5. Tried using just LegacyHDA.kext from MODS in tutorial (#1 above)

6. Tried using #14 Audio Option A of page 1 of this thread

7. Tried using #14 Audio Option B of page 1 of this thread

8. Tried using only ALC889a.kext

9. Tried using only ALC889a.kext with modified info.plist

10. Confirmed that IOAudioFamily.kext is in S/L/E

11. Tried vanilla AppleHDA.kext and tried a modded one.

I'm out of ideas and I was hoping someone could give me guidance. Where should I look next to resolve the problem?

post-578039-1266853470_thumb.gif post-578039-1266853481_thumb.gif post-578039-1266853496_thumb.gif

There are so many super smart people on this forum. Thanks for the great tutorials. After reading for a while, I decided to bite the bullet and build a hack pro. I went through the information I found on this forum, and decided to purchase the UD5 mobo. I'll post a full write up on the build (plus I video taped the whole thing if anyone is interested). There's just one problem that I can't resolve, and it looks so similar to many of the questions posted here. I can't get the Audio Out on the mobo to work. I'm seeing devices under system profiler, but nothing under Sound in sys prefs. Here's what I did:

Hardware profile: GA X58A-UD5 + i7 920

1. I followed the instructions on http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=204010 to do the install.

2. I upgraded to 10.6.2 using Combo updater

3. I moved RealtekR1000SL.kext from Extra to System to get ethernet working.

Here are all the things I tried, but the audio still does not work:

4. Tried using the HDAEnabler.kext and LegacyHDA.kext from the stock X58_Mobo_Patch_Installer

5. Tried using just LegacyHDA.kext from MODS in tutorial (#1 above)

6. Tried using #14 Audio Option A of page 1 of this thread

7. Tried using #14 Audio Option B of page 1 of this thread

8. Tried using only ALC889a.kext

9. Tried using only ALC889a.kext with modified info.plist

10. Confirmed that IOAudioFamily.kext is in S/L/E

11. Tried vanilla AppleHDA.kext and tried a modded one.

I'm out of ideas and I was hoping someone could give me guidance. Where should I look next to resolve the problem?

Cindori's topic uses digital_dreamer's scripts;

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097

Looks like you're confirming that the ALC889 used in the GA-X58A models won't work with either solution 14;

A. To get audio working with the Realtek ALC889A (and ALC889?)...

B. To get audio working with the Realtek ALC889A using the ALC889a.kext, make modifications to the `Method (_L0D, 0, NotSerialized)' section and the `Device (AZAL)' section.

Not applicable to the Realtek ALC888 used in GA-EX58-UD3, GA-EX58-UD3-SLI, GA-EX58-UD4 and GA-EX58-DS4, or the Realtek ALC889 used in the GA-X58A models.

The following topic may help you with the ALC889;

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=176155

I'll check these things when I get back home (at work now).

Here comes a follow-up question: how can I see what I have in Extensions.mkext? I've noticed I cannot do a right-click an ”Show Package Contents” like on the kexts.

Another thing that started to happen yesterday: I have one drive for Mac OS X and one drive for Windows 7 and now when I boot Chameleon doesn't seem to kick in but Windows starts instead. If I disconnect the Windows drive I get into Chameleon and can select the drive I wan't to boot from (in this case only Mac OS X since it's the only one available).

I guess a re-install of Chameleon might do the trick – will try that.

Thanks a lot for helping!

I'll happily give a donation to you d00d when I get my salary on the 25th!

You have a PayPal account or something so I can send you a little beer money? (or whatever-money if you don't like beer) :thumbsup_anim:

I'm unaware of a way to determine what's in a mkext, but it's easy to just create a new one.

I just use VMware, but someone else may be able to help with the W7 issue.

You're welcome, but I don't have an account.

I guess a re-install of Chameleon might do the trick �" will try that.

The reason you are booting into Windows without going into Chameleon is because your bios is set to boot the windows drive, not the drive with Chameleon/OSX. Go into the bios and change the hard drive order and then try it.

Here comes a follow-up question: how can I see what I have in Extensions.mkext? I've noticed I cannot do a right-click an â€Show Package Contents†like on the kexts.

You can use mkext tool, it allows you to pack (create), unpack and view the contents of an mkext file. You can get it here or here

The reason you are booting into Windows without going into Chameleon is because your bios is set to boot the windows drive, not the drive with Chameleon/OSX. Go into the bios and change the hard drive order and then try it.

Aha, that did the trick! Thanks!

Don't know why the order changed in BIOS all of the sudden, though...

Well, So much for my memory. I hadn't done number 11 after all. I don't have any audio stuttering and I am not using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Thanks

So even if you do a ”cold start” (i.e. shut down and boot up) it works without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext?

It seems to work for me between restarts, but if I shut down and start up the boot process get stuck at ”AppleACPICPU: ProcessorID=1 LocalApicID=2 Enabled". :(

Any ideas?

Different BIOS settings perhaps?

I have the BIOS set up like in digitaldreamer's script page for the UD5 mobo.

Ahh, I guess it's because of the mkext!

It mentions ”OpenHaltRestart.kext” there in the beginning.

What kexts am I supposed to have in the .mkext now when I'm using d00d's DSDT?

Is it even needed?

OK, It seems I've managed to get everything working, except that audio still shines with it's absence. :(

I was missing IOAudioFamily.kext from /S/L/E (don't know why) but I've now installed it again from my MacBook Pro.

Below is a bit from my log and it still complains a lot about ”no dependencies found” etc. for various aspects of the audio kexts - I can imagine that's got to do with my problem.

Also, ”Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root.” anything to worry about?

Thanks for helping! :)

2010-02-23 22.14.06 com.apple.kextd[10] SteerMouse.kext does not declare a kernel dependency; using com.apple.kernel.6.0.

2010-02-23 22.14.06 com.apple.kextd[10] IOAudioFamily.kext - no dependency found for com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib.

2010-02-23 22.14.06 com.apple.kextd[10] Can't load AppleFWAudio.kext - failed to resolve dependencies.

2010-02-23 22.14.06 com.apple.kextd[10] Failed to load AppleFWAudio.kext - (libkern/kext) dependency resolution failure.

2010-02-23 22.14.06 com.apple.kextd[10] Load com.apple.driver.AppleFWAudio failed; removing personalities.

2010-02-23 22.14.06 com.apple.kextd[10] IOAudioFamily.kext - no dependency found for com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib.

2010-02-23 22.14.06 com.apple.kextd[10] Can't load AudioIPCDriver.kext - failed to resolve dependencies.

2010-02-23 22.14.06 com.apple.kextd[10] Failed to load AudioIPCDriver.kext - (libkern/kext) dependency resolution failure.

2010-02-23 22.14.06 com.apple.kextd[10] Load com.apple.driver.AudioIPCDriver failed; removing personalities.

2010-02-23 22.14.06 com.apple.kextd[10] DspFuncLib.kext - no dependency found for com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib.

2010-02-23 22.14.06 com.apple.kextd[10] Can't load AppleHDA.kext - failed to resolve dependencies.

2010-02-23 22.14.06 com.apple.kextd[10] Failed to load AppleHDA.kext - (libkern/kext) dependency resolution failure.

2010-02-23 22.14.06 com.apple.kextd[10] Load com.apple.driver.AppleHDA failed; removing personalities.

2010-02-23 22.14.06 com.apple.kextd[10] Can't load AudioIPCDriver.kext - failed to resolve dependencies.

2010-02-23 22.14.06 com.apple.kextd[10] Failed to load AudioIPCDriver.kext - (libkern/kext) dependency resolution failure.

2010-02-23 22.14.06 com.apple.kextd[10] Load com.apple.driver.AudioIPCDriver failed; removing personalities.

2010-02-23 22.14.07 kernel Warning - kext com.vmware.kext.vmx86 has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel* and com.apple.kpi.* components; use only one style.

2010-02-23 22.14.07 kernel Previous Shutdown Cause: 0

2010-02-23 22.14.07 kernel Warning - jp.plentycom.driver.SteerMouse declares no kernel dependencies; using com.apple.kernel.6.0.

2010-02-23 22.14.07 kernel identified as RTL8168D/8111Didentified as RTL8168D/8111D

2010-02-23 22.14.07 kernel vmmon: Loaded @ 0x80fe6152: Info 0x80ff5740 Name com.vmware.kext.vmx86 Version 3.0.0 build-215242 at Dec 7 2009 17:45:18

2010-02-23 22.14.07 /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[36] Login Window Application Started

2010-02-23 22.14.07 com.apple.kextd[10] Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root.

2010-02-23 22.14.07 com.apple.kextd[10] Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root.

2010-02-23 22.14.08 kernel DSMOS has arrived

2010-02-23 22.14.08 kernel vmmon: Service start

2010-02-23 22.14.08 kernel vmmon: Instrumenting bug 151304...com_chucko_RealtekR1000: Ethernet address 00:1f:d0:ac:da:15

2010-02-23 22.14.08 kernel com_chucko_RealtekR1000: Ethernet address 00:1f:d0:ac:da:17

2010-02-23 22.14.08 kernel ** Device in slot: SLOT-1 **

2010-02-23 22.14.08 kernel vmmon: Initial HV check: anyNotCapable=0 anyUnlocked=0 anyEnabled=1 anyDisabled=0vmmon: Fast clock thread started.

2010-02-23 22.14.08 kernel vmmon: HV check: anyNotCapable=0 anyUnlocked=0 anyEnabled=1 anyDisabled=0

2010-02-23 22.14.08 kernel vmmon: Cycles 74

2010-02-23 22.14.08 kernel vmmon: Module initialized.

2010-02-23 22.14.08 kernel vmmon: Registering for power state changes

2010-02-23 22.14.08 kernel FakeSMC: key not found BEMB, length - 1

2010-02-23 22.14.08 kernel AppleTyMCEDriver::start coreVIDPID = 0x2c418086 Number of packages = 1 Number of cpus = 8 memory monitor trough MCA

2010-02-23 22.14.08 vmnet-bridge[83] UUID: Unable to open /dev/mem: No such file or directory

2010-02-23 22.14.08 vmnet-bridge[83] Dynamic store changed

2010-02-23 22.14.08 vmnet-bridge[83] Failed to read SCproperties for key: State:/Network/Global/IPv4

2010-02-23 22.14.08 vmnet-bridge[83] Stopping bridge for:

2010-02-23 22.14.08 com.apple.launchd[1] (0x100100f90.anonymous.vmnet-netifup[87]) Failed to add kevent for PID 87. Will unload at MIG return

2010-02-23 22.14.08 kernel vmci: Loaded @ 0x774bf160: Info 0x774c8e40 Name com.vmware.kext.vmci Version 3.0.0 build-215242 at Dec 7 2009 17:45:19

Also found this for FakeSMC:

2010-02-23 22.14.08 kernel FakeSMC: key not found BEMB, length - 1

2010-02-23 22.14.08 kernel FakeSMC: key info not found MSDS, length - 6

And this for audio:

2010-02-23 22.36.58 kernel Not loading kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - not found and kextd not available in early boot.

Anyone can shred some light?

The extensions seem to load and it works fine to sleep the computer using the power button!

So what the heck is missing when it comes to the audio? Is the problem that I've installed all the kexts in /S/L/E instead of /E? Should that matter?

I'll try and see if I can remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and still start up - should work since the DSDT.aml seems to be read in correctly, right?

Edit:

Removing the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext didn't work. So it seems I have a semi-functional DSDT.aml... :(

Altight! I can boot without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext now - it seems I'd forgot to do step 6 in the com.apple.boot.plist.

Anyway - still no audio! :(

I don't understand what the problem is.

Anything to worry about?

I had a problem with audio too at first. I ended up by removing the ALC889a.kext from /E/E and making the changes to the DSDT for audio without any additional kexts. All the kexts I have now is fakesmc.kext in E/E and the realtek nic driver in /S/L/E. Everything works.

Here is my DSDT.aml file it is for the i7 920 CPU.

dsdt.aml.zip

d00d, your dsdt is brilliant and negates many of the kexts i have been using,thanks so much for your hard work.

It is more than a little bit annoying having eject buttons on internal hardrives, but meh its a small price to pay for e-sata and hotplugging.

However, i use my mac as a home cinema with an analog 5.1 sound system, which your dsdt doesnt allow for.

I've edited your i7 920 v2 dsdt to include ALC889a 5.1 support, which works when used with a patched AppleHDA.kext and an aggregate device in Audio Midi Setup (check out the infinitemac guide for this, its very easy to do).

I have attached a bash-scripted AppleHDA.kext patcher which will grab your current AppleHDA.kext,

and patch it for 5.1 sound. You can then install the kext using kextutility or kexthelper.

The patcher even gives it a red label, to distinguish it from an unpatched AppleHDA.kext

Any audio updates will most likely revert the AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E to an unpatched state,

but its easy to just re-run the patcher, patch the updated kext and install that.

I have also attached d00d's i7 920 v2 dsdt patched for 5.1 as well.

It was very easy to patch your dsdt as all it requires is replacing the HDEF section as per the infinitemac guide.

Hope you and other people people find them useful. :o

EDIT - Some simple instructions:

(Preferably do all this after youve updated your OS X to the latest version eg. 10.6.2)

1. If you have an i7920 (not overclocked) & UD5 & F9 bios use the dsdt below.

If not, follow PART I: Patching DSDT of the infinitemac guide to patch your dsdt.

2. On the system you a want to use it with, run the AppleHDA_Patcher. it will generate the patched AppleHDA.kext to the ALC889a patcher folder. Your unpatched applehda will be backed up.

3. Use KextUtility.app to install it to S/L/E

4. If an update breaks your sound, just re-do steps 2 and 3

This works for 10.6.1, 10.6.2, 10.6.3, 10.6.4, 10.6.5

the guide i followed for the 5.1 dsdt edit and to make my patcher was this one:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-alc88...surround-t3746/

ALC889a_AppleHDA_5.1_Patcher.zip

I had a problem with audio too at first. I ended up by removing the ALC889a.kext from /E/E and making the changes to the DSDT for audio without any additional kexts. All the kexts I have now is fakesmc.kext in E/E and the realtek nic driver in /S/L/E. Everything works.

Here is my DSDT.aml file it is for the i7 920 CPU.

dsdt.aml.zip

Thanks.

I've installed your attached DSDT.aml and indeed it works fine with just facsmc.kext and the Realtek NIC driver, but I still don't get any audio.

Someting seems broken since I get a lot of complaints about audio in the logs at boot.

If anybody got any idea of what might be wrong, please let me know. Permission problems perhaps?

2010-02-24 12.06.26 com.apple.kextd[10] Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root.

2010-02-24 12.06.26 com.apple.kextd[10] SteerMouse.kext does not declare a kernel dependency; using com.apple.kernel.6.0.

2010-02-24 12.06.26 com.apple.kextd[10] SteerMouse.kext does not declare a kernel dependency; using com.apple.kernel.6.0.

2010-02-24 12.06.26 com.apple.kextd[10] IOAudioFamily.kext - no dependency found for com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib.

2010-02-24 12.06.26 com.apple.kextd[10] Can't load AppleFWAudio.kext - failed to resolve dependencies.

2010-02-24 12.06.26 com.apple.kextd[10] Failed to load AppleFWAudio.kext - (libkern/kext) dependency resolution failure.

2010-02-24 12.06.26 com.apple.kextd[10] Load com.apple.driver.AppleFWAudio failed; removing personalities.

2010-02-24 12.06.26 com.apple.kextd[10] IOAudioFamily.kext - no dependency found for com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib.

2010-02-24 12.06.26 com.apple.kextd[10] Can't load AudioIPCDriver.kext - failed to resolve dependencies.

2010-02-24 12.06.26 com.apple.kextd[10] Failed to load AudioIPCDriver.kext - (libkern/kext) dependency resolution failure.

2010-02-24 12.06.26 com.apple.kextd[10] Load com.apple.driver.AudioIPCDriver failed; removing personalities.

2010-02-24 12.06.26 com.apple.kextd[10] DspFuncLib.kext - no dependency found for com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib.

2010-02-24 12.06.26 com.apple.kextd[10] Can't load AppleHDA.kext - failed to resolve dependencies.

2010-02-24 12.06.26 com.apple.kextd[10] Failed to load AppleHDA.kext - (libkern/kext) dependency resolution failure.

2010-02-24 12.06.26 com.apple.kextd[10] Load com.apple.driver.AppleHDA failed; removing personalities.

2010-02-24 12.06.26 com.apple.kextd[10] Can't load AudioIPCDriver.kext - failed to resolve dependencies.

2010-02-24 12.06.26 com.apple.kextd[10] Failed to load AudioIPCDriver.kext - (libkern/kext) dependency resolution failure.

2010-02-24 12.06.26 com.apple.kextd[10] Load com.apple.driver.AudioIPCDriver failed; removing personalities.

Edit:

Looked around the web a little and figured it might got to do with the info.plist within one (or more) of the kexts. Or?

Edit:

I managed to get rid of the kext cache creation problem by changing the permissions for /

The audio kext dependency issues are still there, though.