Kakewalk: Minimal effort install (EP45, EX58, P55, G41)

mrjanek

3,658 posts in this topic

Hello,

can I also use this method if I'm still on Windows? I ask beacuse I can only find OS X executables. :D

Which method is the best for me to install OS X 10.6.8 / 10.7 with the following hardware:

Gigabyte EP45-DS3L

Intel Pentium Dual Core E6300 2.80 GHz

Sapphire HD 4670 Ultimate 512MB

4GB G.SKILL RAM

Just installed the 10.6.8 update for Snow Leopard, and...

... There was absolutely no problem!!!

Like, it just made the update through the OSX's own updater and restarted just fine!

Am I missing something?

Should I (re)install anything (kext, boot loader...) to avoid problems in the future??

I'm asking because I had problems when trying to update from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3 :wacko: , and updating from 10.6.2 to 10.6.8 was just like on a real mac, seamless! Am I dreaming?

I just hope my hackintosh keeps working like it always did.

What is step 7 in Guide.pdf for? Last time I used 2.2 version of Kakewalk, and there was no step "Running the Kakewalk Installer app".

Also it says that I need to upgrade to 10.6.5 before running the KAKEWALK.PKG file. Can I upgrade straight to 10.6.8? I already have this combo update.

Thanks!

Hello,

can I also use this method if I'm still on Windows? I ask beacuse I can only find OS X executables. ;)

Which method is the best for me to install OS X 10.6.8 / 10.7 with the following hardware:

Gigabyte EP45-DS3L

Intel Pentium Dual Core E6300 2.80 GHz

Sapphire HD 4670 Ultimate 512MB

4GB G.SKILL RAM

You're going to have issues cause the processor isn't a Core2Duo... it's just a pentium dual core. Also, the graphics are gonna be an issue. Searching the forums for using ATI cards (even looking at the kalkwalk forums) will be your best guide.

• 2 weeks later...

Question about updating - I recently moved from a BadAxe2 to a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (low cost, used the same CPU and RAM) in order to use Snow Leopard like I have on all of my other Macs. The install went flawlessly with Kakewalk, and with audio kexts now everything works perfectly. I'm still at 10.6.5 though.

What is the best way to update to 10.6.8? Is the Combo 10.6.8 updater the way to go, or should I do incremental updates? Will everything still work including sleep?

EDIT: I figured out upgrading to 10.6.7, using incremental updates -->10.6.6-->10.6.7 worked perfectly, no patching needed afterward. From reading, it looks like 10.6.8 might not be as easy. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

I've been working for 1 year and a half now with kakewalk on a Gigabyte X58A UD3R hardware (see signature for details), and I've been cautious with updates until now so I'm still with Os 10.6.6 and Kakewalk 2.2. But I'm now having some trouble with the nVidia 9500GT graphic card in 3d software and there is no official support for this model on Mac on nvidia website.

I installed Kakewalk in a noob way, following step by step guide so I'm a bit lost when it comes to the underlying working of it. What would you recommand to fix the graphic card ?

Try some kext install (I don't know exactly how this works...) ? Update system ? Completely reinstall a new kakewalk ? (by the way can I simply update kakewalk ?)

Thanks