[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

And now , This baby has seen 5 Generations of  retail OSX today . I'm gonna Pumkin create a memorial site when this baby dies :D

Same here. I've been installing and running OS X on this rig ever since Leopard (2008).

DarwinX, can you throw more light on the issue - Is improper PCI match effecting fan control from IoKit ? Is anyone working on that . If some source is shared we can collaborate to fix the DSDT for our machines.  

Actually, I do not believe that the fan control is affected as I haven't noticed any serious RPM deviations in the 10.8.5.

I'm sure, the temperatures are definitely lower in 10.9 than 10.8.x  at medium load possibly due to the app nap feature . So try out App store version and post your results.

Will do. Unfortunately, I have already gone ahead and completely setup all of my 10.9 preferences to my liking which took hours. If I reinstall, which is actually very simple, I would have to set it up yet again.  :(

Airdrop not working between 10.9 and iPhone 5C , can some one confirm about the airdrop in 10.9  ? My wifi card is airdrop supported Broadcom card rebranded  as apple extreme

I will check if it's working with my iPhone 5.

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleHDA.kext

Should be used in S/L/E

Thank You. I shall test these files forthwith. 

Definitely, Yep voodoo definitely could be the culprit.  I forgot to inform about the kexts I'm using earlier, my apologies. They are very stable I've been using since Lion. (created for 10.6 by nawcom) and AppleHDA was binary patched for Stac 9205.

Update :

Attached :

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleHDA.kext

Should be used in S/L/E

attachicon.gifOCT-2013_indiandragon.zip

Hi,

I got excited when I saw the AppleHDA you posted here and decided to dig out my abandoned M1530. In testing yur kexts, I can say the following:

1- AppleHDA would not load. As you rightly mention, it was patched for the Stac9205. Unfortunately, the M1530 is based on the stac9228. :-((

2- ApplePS2 still contains VodooTrackpad as a pluggin but work OK.

3- AppleACPIPS2Nub I already use.

You mentioned that AppleACPIPlatform does not need to be replaced on 10.8.5. I tried that but still get the [PCI...begin]. Has anyone succeeded in using the 10.8.5  ACPIPlatform kext ?

Cheers,

Airdrop not working between 10.9 and iPhone 5C , can some one confirm about the airdrop in 10.9  ? My wifi card is airdrop supported Broadcom card rebranded  as apple extreme

I too have a Broadcom WLAN card which is seen as the Airport Extreme by the system, and yet under both 10.8.5 and 10.9, the AirDrop appears to be active but nonfunctional.

1- AppleHDA would not load. As you rightly mention, it was patched for the Stac9205. Unfortunately, the M1530 is based on the stac9228. :-((

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleHDA.kext

I second that, the AppleHDA does load but remains nonfunctional. 

Substituting the Voodoo kexts for the ones you posted yields no positive results; the Sleep mode remains broken.

Again, the Sleep mode initiates properly the first time it is invoked. However, upon the SECOND Sleep mode invocation, the system simply reboots.

You mentioned that AppleACPIPlatform does not need to be replaced on 10.8.5. I tried that but still get the [PCI...begin]. Has anyone succeeded in using the 10.8.5  ACPIPlatform kext ?

While the 10.9 no longer requires the usual AppleACPIPlatform kext regression, the 10.8.5 still does.

I too have a Broadcom WLAN card which is seen as the Airport Extreme by the system, and yet under both 10.8.5 and 10.9, the AirDrop appears to be active but nonfunctional.

Hi Again,

Airdrop did not show up in Finder initially. I use the attached "showAirdrop" utility which enables it. It seems to work fine with my card which is an HP Broadcom based  a/b/g/n card (BCM-4321-MCP3).  I tested it by transferring both ways with PC. 

Hope this helps.

Rgds

ShowAirDrop.zip

Hi Again,

Airdrop did not show up in Finder initially. I use the attached "showAirdrop" utility which enables it. It seems to work fine with my card which is an HP Broadcom based  a/b/g/n card (BCM-4321-MCP3).  I tested it by transferring both ways with PC. 

Hope this helps.

Rgds

I do have the Airdrop enabled in Finder, I just don't think that it works. I'm not entirely sure though as I've never had any use for that particular feature.

Actually, I do not believe that the fan control is affected as I haven't noticed any serious RPM deviations in the 10.8.5.

If there's no change in Fan control then, what possibly could be the reason for supposedly higher temperature ?  Since our cpu power management is native I'm not sure what possibly can affect the system temperature from the changes you mention - am I missing something here ?

Airdrop was enabled for me since OSX Lion, but never had a chance to try till now.  It's not working but my card  BCM 94322 was patched with Apple firmware to make it detect as  Apple Extreme . Quite disappointed that it's not working .

Card Type: AirPort Extreme  (0x14E4, 0x87)

Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.100.22)

MAC Address: 00:24:2c:30:2d:78

Locale: FCC

Country Code: US

Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165

Wake On Wireless: Supported

AirDrop: Supported

Hi Again,

Hope this helps.

Rgds

I'll try the utility, but as Darwin X said Airdrop is enabled since Lion but the functionality isn't working . Interesting that even wikipedia article on Airdrop mentions my card as supported in hackintosh - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirDrop

I do have the Airdrop enabled in Finder, I just don't think that it works. I'm not entirely sure though as I've never had any use for that particular feature.

Just curious , what method you use to transfer files between OSX and iPhone ? cable?

Hi,

I got excited when I saw the AppleHDA you posted here and decided to dig out my abandoned M1530. In testing yur kexts, I can say the following:

I think it's high time to binary patch for stac9228, voodooHDA definitely mess with sleep on OSX with native power management.

macgirl, sleep issues seem to be related to setup. I'm not having sleep issues specific to Maverick .

Hi Indiandragon,

Could you possibly upload a copy of your dsdt and patched AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext?  I still could not get sleep working on Mavericks using your kexts in post #1424 replacing my Voodoo kexts and using DarwinX's dsdt.  Still have the machine rebooting after invoking sleep the second time

Also as mentioned by the previous posters, your patched AppleHDA loads on my XPSm1530 but remains nonfunctional.  I notice you have an Inspiron 1520 T7250 in your sig but DarwinX & I have the XPSm1530, Core2 Duo T9300....have you tried OS X 10.9 and confirmed sleep working on the XPSm1530?

I also tried your kexts with the dsdts posted by Immo at the beginning of this thread:

DSDT_M1530_NVIDIA_ANYCPU_20111023.zip with HDEF included

DSDT_M1530_NVIDIA_ANYCPU_20120929.zip with HDEF stripped out

and still have sleep failing on the second invocation.

In regards to possibly higher temps in 10.8.5 and 10.9 on the XPSm1530: while my temps are OK, I find that my CPU tends to spend more time at max speed/freq than the lower steppings so the fan needs to be on for longer periods than before.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Successful update to 10.9 here on my M1330 from 10.8.5, however I'm getting the same high freq fan/temp issues on my system since 10.8.5 as well (CPU idling much higher around 55-56 and was at 80! before). Unfortunately I don't have a M1530 like you guys so I don't have a new DSDT to help me out. I'm a little confused on making the DSDT (it's been a while since I played with it), can you make the same edits to the latest M1330 (DSDT_M1330_NVIDIA_ANYCPU_20120929.zip ) from Immo?

I used the same kexts as you guys did in the last 2 pages for Mavericks, great job guys and thanks for all the good work! Ask away if you guys have questions from a M1330 user!

Hi Indiandragon,

Could you possibly upload a copy of your dsdt and patched AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext?  I still could not get sleep working on Mavericks using your kexts in post #1424 replacing my Voodoo kexts and using DarwinX's dsdt.  Still have the machine rebooting after invoking sleep the second time

Sure, find my files attached.  My DSDT would be similar to  other's on this page except for few device specific injections from Slice and LatinMcG. My DSDT has been untouched since Lion, but before that I was experimenting regularly . So let me know if you found something interesting.

The only Voodoo kext I use is, Voodoo SDHC by Slice . It sure does mess with sleep occasionally , (keeping a spare sdcard in drive helps a bit ).  Other than that everything is native or binary patched.

In regards to possibly higher temps in 10.8.5 and 10.9 on the XPSm1530: while my temps are OK, I find that my CPU tends to spend more time at max speed/freq than the lower steppings so the fan needs to be on for longer periods than before.

I'm starting to get the picture, my fan sensor is different . It's not  PC8739x , possibly the change from 10.8.5 is related to fan sensor and so it's affecting the machines based  on PC8739X and thus temperature abnormality. 

Attached : 

Note : DSDT,SSDT's are for Inspiron 1520 GM 965 with intel T7250 CPU and nvidia 8600 GT M Graphics.

DSDT.aml

SSDT.aml

SSDT-1.aml

SSDT-2.aml

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext

OCT_2013_DSDT-SSDT-AGPM_Indiandragon.zip

• Like 2

Just curious , what method you use to transfer files between OSX and iPhone ? cable?

I think it's high time to binary patch for stac9228, voodooHDA definitely mess with sleep on OSX with native power management.

Hi,

if your iPhone is Jailbroken, use USB cable and tools such as  iTools or iFunbox. There are many others.

If not Jailbroken, then your options are limited to transferring files such as Photos and media using cable and apps such as iExplorer, iTools and many other that I can't think of now.

As to patching the stac9228, I tried a couple of years ago with no success. I believe that AppleHDA operates differently using XTLM. If you can master the pin numbers versus input/outputs then it shouldn't be too hard. 

Rgds

Hey guys,

Successful update to 10.9 here on my M1330 from 10.8.5, however I'm getting the same high freq fan/temp issues on my system since 10.8.5 as well (CPU idling much higher around 55-56 and was at 80! before). Unfortunately I don't have a M1530 like you guys so I don't have a new DSDT to help me out. I'm a little confused on making the DSDT (it's been a while since I played with it), can you make the same edits to the latest M1330 (DSDT_M1330_NVIDIA_ANYCPU_20120929.zip ) from Immo?

I used the same kexts as you guys did in the last 2 pages for Mavericks, great job guys and thanks for all the good work! Ask away if you guys have questions from a M1330 user!

I renamed all instances of the Device (ISAB) in your DSDT.aml to the appropriate Device (LPCB)

I then added the following Method _DSM to the Device (LPCB) section of your DSDT.aml which compiled without errors:

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
                {
                    Store (Package (0x08)
                        {
                            "device-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                 0x18, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
                            }, 
                            "compatible", 
                            Buffer (0x0D)
                            {
                                "pci8086,3a18"
                            }, 
                            "IOName", 
                            Buffer (0x0D)
                            {
                                "pci8086,3a18"
                            }, 
                            "name", 
                            Buffer (0x0D)
                            {
                                "pci8086,3a18"
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)                }

• Like 2

Hi,

if your iPhone is Jailbroken, use USB cable and tools such as  iTools or iFunbox. There are many others.

Thanks for the info, For development reasons I cannot afford to jailbreak the iPhone as of now. But I have found an excellent software which works how Airdrop interoperability should work.

First things first : Airdrop on OSX and Airdrop on iOS seems to be different,  Both doesn't seem interoperable as of now.

Solution : Instashare  (http://instashareapp.com/) Does what Airdrop should have done . It has apps for OSX, iOS and Android and works efficiently between  all the devices. I just shared files between  Maverick, Nexus 4 and iPhone 5C without a sweat (aka internet) !

• Like 2

I renamed all instances of the Device (ISAB) in your DSDT.aml to the appropriate Device (LPCB)

I then added the following Method _DSM to the Device (LPCB) section of your DSDT.aml which compiled without errors:

{
                    Store (Package (0x08)
                        {
                            "device-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                 0x18, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
                            }, 
                            "compatible", 
                            Buffer (0x0D)
                            {
                                "pci8086,3a18"
                            }, 
                            "IOName", 
                            Buffer (0x0D)
                            {
                                "pci8086,3a18"
                            }, 
                            "name", 
                            Buffer (0x0D)
                            {
                                "pci8086,3a18"
                            }
                        }, Local0)

Thanks a lot DarwinX, I’ll try on sunday :D

Thanks a lot DarwinX, I’ll try on sunday :D

I'll give it a whirl later tonight, very excited and thanks for doing it for us, and so very quickly!!

Thank you for confirming that,

Rgds

No problem, guys. We are all here to help each other.   :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 2

{
                    Store (Package (0x08)
                        {
                            "device-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                 0x18, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
                            }, 
                            "compatible", 
                            Buffer (0x0D)
                            {
                                "pci8086,3a18"
                            }, 
                            "IOName", 
                            Buffer (0x0D)
                            {
                                "pci8086,3a18"
                            }, 
                            "name", 
                            Buffer (0x0D)
                            {
                                "pci8086,3a18"
                            }
                        }, Local0)

Testing this guy out before bed, and it looks like it helps with temps a couple degrees (was idling around 54 and now easily around 50-51) but the huge change is a 50% reduction in fan speed, was going near full blast and now it's MUCH more tolerable, so I'd say it's a WIN for this DSDT M1330 users.

Only thing let is to find the 4321 Wifi module I bought a while to install so I can get some wireless N on this bad boy and I'm good on this Mavericks/M1330 install, maybe will hold out another year or until I grab one of those sexy new Retina 13" MBP's, 9 hour battery life is too good to pass up

In my 10.8.5 Airdrop works between this and a real MacBook Pro, but Airdrop in general in 10.8.5 doesn't work between a computer and a phone.  Computer to computer, yes, and phone to phone, but no other way.  I don't know if this has changed with 10.9, but I thought I would mention it.  I also am using an Apple branded Broadcom Airport Extreme card.

Mavericks installed and running. Sleep with no issues, as always I got no sound on speakers but fine on headphones ports with VoodooHDA.

Also no issues with fan speed.

Although installation process couldn’t complete on its own I move things within a folder with recovered items on the first boot.

I used the MBR patch method on an installation USB.

Maybe I will install Mavs on my other PC.

• Like 1

Does anybody have issues with FireWire after updating to Mavericks? I can only get external hard drives to show up when they are plugged in and running before boot-up. The port itself is always listed in System Information.app and I never had problems with FireWire before Mavericks.

I did a clean install and tried to get it to work with two different hard disks. I only have one Mini FireWire -> FireWire cable, though.

FYI: I have just installed the OS X 10.9 Mavericks which is running beautifully and requires even less modifications than all the previous OS X iterations. 

The installation procedure is very simple and nearly identical to that of 10.7 and 10.8.

The real good news for our hardware is that the AppleACPIPlatform.kext no longer requires regression!

So, the only required kexts are FakeSMC.kext, ACPIBatteryManager.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext and VoodooHDA.kext which can be found in my recent thread upload.

Additionally, I have also inserted my graphics card info into the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext

I appreciate your works. How did you manage to install 10.9 Mavericks? Is there a way to do a clean install? If so, how? thanks!