[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

Look in the attached zip from my initial reply.

Or, if you don't want to muck about with DSDT modding, I think HDAEnabler.kext might accomplish the same thing since we're using 12 for the layout-id here.

Look in the attached zip from my initial reply.

Or, if you don't want to muck about with DSDT modding, I think HDAEnabler.kext might accomplish the same thing since we're using 12 for the layout-id here.

OK. I saw it. I did an error during the unzip... I've got no issue with DSDT patching. At least, I will go with this patched AppleHDA for now. 

However, I'm really curious about a "getdump" about a working VoodooHDA.

The question of c states on our machines is a vexed one and the major reason for temps in OSX running higher than in Windows.

I find that setting P & C states in chameleon to not make any difference like drummerboybac at Project OS X forums found here http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2188 .  Despite the fact that AppleLPC.kext loads with our dsdts, it remains non functional, hence the warning "WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized" in the boot messages.  In the chameleon documentation is a prerequisite "to enable C-States you must have LPC working on your system".

ab_73 in this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/190780-guide-making-a-dsdtaml-for-dell-xps-m1330-xps-m1530-and-xps-m1730/page-22?do=findComment&comment=1519236 a long way back in the thread mentions a difference in memory address (AppleLPC.kext uses PM_BASE of 0x400 vs 0x1000 in our machines).  According to him, a simple test for c-states is to view IOREG with IORegistryExplorer.app and search if "CSTInfo" exists - unfortunately not for me.

Edit: From Maldon post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/235523-dsdt-auto-patcher/page-278?do=findComment&comment=1737553

to determine whether c-states working on your machine, in terminal type

10.6/10.6.7

ioreg -lw0 | grep CSTInfoIN

10.6.8 AND LION/ML/Mavericks

ioreg -lw0 | grep AICPMVers

and see if there is any output - no output = no c-states :(

Slice mentions that "I think with Dell notebooks it is impossible because of LPC device is differ from Apple's".

There must be some way to correct this... 

There must be some way to correct this... 

Fundamentally, what hackintoshing involves is making Apple's OS see our machines as a "real" mac using dsdt, kext editing device IDs, bootloader injection etc.  This is only possible if the hardware is very similar to Apple's.

If the LPC device in Dell laptops is too different to Apple's LPC, then the only way to make it work would be completely rewrite/hack/reverse engineer the power management kexts in OSX (the memory addresses are probably hard coded in the binaries for PM_BASE of 0x400)....very difficult technically and would need fixing with every OSX update....

• Like 1

I have a one M1330. Someone can share with me kets and dsdt to install maveriks? 

Calling Immo: Please update the first post for Mavericks !!!!! :D

Seriously, for DSDT see this post by DarwinX and this for the kexts (what works for 10.8.5 works for 10.9 and what works for the XPSm1530 generally works for the XPSm1330).  Optional procedure for patching AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext for better graphics performance.

My own summary of a clean Mavericks install procedure and the post install kexts I used.  The main difference is that for the XPSm1330, regression with AppleACPIPlatform.kext is not necessary for sleep.

For XPSm1330 specific posts, read those from immo, MacGirl, Steven M, VMonHeros, bisk et al.  I hope I didn't leave anyone out :)

• Like 3

Hi,

For who is interested, here are some kexts (injectors) modified for our XPS M1330. One is for enabling BroadcomAppleBluetooth (it is coming from Anv, I just injected our XP 1330 bluetooth ID) = BroadcomAppleBluetooth.kext, the other one is for enabling graphic power manager (modified from MasterChief one) = LegacyAGPM, without patching AppleGraphicPowerManagement.kext, the last one is for enabling our webcam as an Apple one (also coming from Anv) = AnyiSightCam.kext.

For LegacyAGPM, it is patched for MacbookPro5,1 smbios. If you use another one, just open the kext and edit the plist ;).

In general, here all the kexts I use.

• Like 2

Hi there,

Hey, my bluetooth just works natively. 

I understand the AnyISight thing.  That's just cosmetic right ?

But what exactly does modifying the AGPM behavior do for us ?

Is that a fix for the Intel X3100 version of the XPS m1330 ?

My NVidia 8400m GS based HackBook sleeps/wakes perfectly but my GMAX3100 based HackBook wakes with a dead backlight, needing about 30 seconds and then a key pressed until the screen lights up.

Hi,

For who is interested, here are some kexts (injectors) modified for our XPS M1330. One is for enabling BroadcomAppleBluetooth (it is coming from Anv, I just injected our XP 1330 bluetooth ID) = BroadcomAppleBluetooth.kext, the other one is for enabling graphic power manager (modified from MasterChief one) = LegacyAGPM, without patching AppleGraphicPowerManagement.kext, the last one is for enabling our webcam as an Apple one (also coming from Anv) = AnyiSightCam.kext.

For LegacyAGPM, it is patched for MacbookPro5,1 smbios. If you use another one, just open the kext and edit the plist ;).

So, which is best, modded AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext or LegacyAGPM.kext?

Well I always prefer the legacy injectors assuming that the modified contents is equally good.

The injector persists between Software Updates, the modified kext may not.

OK, so modifying AGPM sort of does for the GPU what modifying AppleCPUPM does for the CPU ?

CPU PM fixes are so nicely verifyable by observing SpeedStep changes.

How do we accomplish the same observations for GPU PM testing ?

Also, my XPS m1330's are designated MacBookPro4,1 (4,2 w/Legacy SpeedStep actually).

Will a simple copy/paste of the MacBookPro5,x entry be legit or are there changes to the contents needed, I wonder ?

Well I always prefer the legacy injectors assuming that the modified contents is equally good.

The injector persists between Software Updates, the modified kext may not.

OK, so modifying AGPM sort of does for the GPU what modifying AppleCPUPM does for the CPU ?

CPU PM fixes are so nicely verifyable by observing SpeedStep changes.

How do we accomplish the same observations for GPU PM testing ?

Also, my XPS m1330's are designated MacBookPro4,1 (4,2 w/Legacy SpeedStep actually).

Will a simple copy/paste of the MacBookPro5,x entry be legit or are there changes to the contents needed, I wonder ?

You can actually see the patch working by looking in the kernel log (use console and search for "AGPM") - see this guide by oldnapalm.

The injected key in the kext must match the SMBIOS used: "To activate G-state switching we need to specify the GPU's vendor and device ID under the key with the model identifier (SMproductname) used in SMBIOS."

Thanks for the additional info :)

But there are no MacBook4,x or MacBookPro4,x entries in the Lagacy.kext's Info.plist file.

This notebook already runs hot (59-74 averaging upper 60s) so I don't want to tempt fate by simply copying another model's GPU PM levels to create a MBP4,1 entry.

How does one create an entry for a nonexistant Mac model ?

Hi,

For the bluetooth injector, read the Anv thread. However, it permits to activate the broadcom kext, and by that (at least) be able to enable and disable the bluetooth. Without this injector, it is not possible (for me).

For legacyAGPM, just copy the MacBooPro5,1 entry, and rename the copied one MacbookPro4,1 or what you use as SMproducname in your SMBios.plist. This one is working, you will see that the speed of the Nvidia video card (and also its memory) change depending of the load, by so ensuring a lower temperature. You can see that using Hardware Monitor (look at modified FakeSMC V3.x from Slice).

For audio, with my replacement motherboard, VoodooHDA not working anymore for me (and I need to use the patched AppleHDA). Nobody to provide me a "getdump" of the VoodooHDA working on our laptop ?

Is Dual Display's working either with HDMI or the VGA out?  I can't seem to get either to work?  This is with Mavericks.

Thanks

EDITED:

I got the VGA to work but had to boot while it was connected.  HDMI causes a freeze.

Is Dual Display's working either with HDMI or the VGA out?  I can't seem to get either to work?  This is with Mavericks.

Thanks

EDITED:

I got the VGA to work but had to boot while it was connected.  HDMI causes a freeze.

Some had HDMI working, but my findings indicate that TV make freeze.I have no problem with a DVI monitor with a HDMI-DVI adapter though.

With VGA I don't need to boot with a monitor connected, after boot connect the external monitor, go to System Preferences, Displays, press Option Key and click on Detect Displays and adjust Display Settings and placement for both displays.

My XPS m1330s will display on an external VGA display just fine but no external HDMI display.  I have read about others getting older laptops with HDMI (on sandy bridge/ivy bridge, external HDMI video just works) by binary modding the appropriate video kext but have never tried that myself. 

The "Detect Displays" feature went away after Lion so that's no longer available from 10.8.0 onwards.  However, the same is accomplished in Mountain Lion by simply putting your notebook to sleep, attaching a VGA display and then waking.  Upon wake, your notebook will just find the external display.  Basically, the same effect as the old "Detect Displays".  Of course, initially booting up with the external VGA display attached works as well.

Be aware that only extended display mode is guaranteed to work.  Attempting to mirror displays often results in both displays going black forcing a hard reboot with the external display disconnected to regain video on the internal LCD.  From then on, whenever reconnecting "that same" VGA display, you lose both displays every time until you undo the mirroring which is not a straightforward thing to do.  This because the mirror display option check box only appears in Display Preferences while both displays are detected and that's when both displays are now black, a classic Catch 22.

I do not know if this will necessarily happen on these x1330 notebooks and I don't feel like experimenting to find out !

The "Detect Displays" feature went away after Lion so that's no longer available from 10.8.0 onwards.  However, the same is accomplished in Mountain Lion by simply putting your notebook to sleep, attaching a VGA display and then waking.  Upon wake, your notebook will just find the external display.  Basically, the same effect as the old "Detect Displays".  Of course, initially booting up with the external VGA display attached works as well.

Detect Displays didn't go away, it just hidden, when you are in the Displays Preference Panel press Option Key (or alt key on some keyboards) and the Detect Displays buttons appears, you don't need to put your hackintosh on sleep.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

Detect Displays didn't go away, it just hidden, when you are in the Displays Preference Panel press Option Key (or alt key on some keyboards) and the Detect Displays buttons appears, you don't need to put your hackintosh on sleep.

I did NOT know that.  That's 2 new things that I've learned here in as many days.  I also did not realize that you could slide from single user to graphics mode by simply typing exit (even tho' the hint is right there staring me right in the face in the console).  Thanks !  That's what I love about these forums :))

I've succesfully installed 10.9 but I don't know why it start in verbose mode if is not flagged in chameleon wizard....do you know why?

If you use FileNVRAM module in chameleon, it remembers your boot arguments.  Use the following command in terminal to reset it

sudo nvram -d boot-args (refer to this post).

• Like 2